RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

A strongly worded letter to Pat Summitt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 02/03/08 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
Haters never let go. It's what they do best. Razz

I love it when people use the phrase "haters."

It's such a cop out Smile

PostPosted: 02/03/08 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
Folks, there's a well known saying where I work that applies here.

Let. It. Go.

I have to say, hearing the phrase "let it go" from Tennessee fans is funny, given how often we hear about how the Committee tries to screw them, how the refs are biased against them, how everyone plays dirty against them, etc., etc., etc.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 02/03/08 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
jimmyk wrote:

Let. It. Go.

I have to say, hearing the phrase "let it go" from Tennessee fans is funny, given how often we hear about how the Committee tries to screw them, how the refs are biased against them, how everyone plays dirty against them, etc., etc., etc.

Not this one. The only thing the Committee is out to do is getting UT and UConn in the Final every year. The refs have generally sucked for and against both teams for the last couple years.

I probably used to be that way, but I've learned that the NCAA, its committees, and its referees are mostly a bunch of freaking idiots that don't know what they're doing.

Witness the Tennessee/Kentucky game today. That foul that hurt Smith's knee and might knock her out for the rest of the year should've been an intentional foul because Auguste practically hip checked the poor girl into next week. The fact that it was just a normal foul is a terrible call.

I get tired of people generalizing. Yeah, there are vocal people who think their team is the best thing in the history of the world and can do no wrong. There are some of those for every team and against every team. The better fans are the ones who look at it as objectively as they can, and that's what I try to do.

Note that I've stayed out of the first four days of this thread and the first eight of this overblown conversation. That's the reason why.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/03/08 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
I get tired of people generalizing. Yeah, there are vocal people who think their team is the best thing in the history of the world and can do no wrong. There are some of those for every team and against every team. The better fans are the ones who look at it as objectively as they can, and that's what I try to do.

There has yet to be an appearance of these so-called better TN fans on message boards.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 02/03/08 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks. I appreciate that. Mad

Kelli

PostPosted: 02/03/08 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
RedEqualsLuck wrote:
Kelli wrote:
Do you want to be held to everything you said/believed two years ago?

well, if I've built my reputation on a claim over years and years of saying it and doing it, sure.... (it's not just something she 'said' two years ago. 4 years ago she said she'd stop if she saw Geno on the side of the road.. not holding her to that)

And if I've changed my mind, well then, come out and say that -- disabuse the public of the knowledge and understanding and expectations they've built of YOU because of what YOU'VE done and said.

Yes, she has made the claim for years and years and years (about the importance of growing the game and playing anyone anywhere). Now, she has decided to end rivalry games and great series against two of the top three programs over the past ten years on personal whims. Sure, no hypocrisy there. Rolling Eyes

So if tomorrow Bush said he was going to pull the troops out of Iraq and Afganistan, you'd be jumping up and down crying, "you've got to stay the course, you've got to stay the course" because that's waht he's been saying the last few years??? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

**I apologize to all the good people on here for bringing politics into this conversation. Trust me that it was only to make a point and I will not do it again in this thread.

PostPosted: 02/03/08 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelli wrote:
So if tomorrow Bush said he was going to pull the troops out of Iraq and Afganistan, you'd be jumping up and down crying, "you've got to stay the course, you've got to stay the course" because that's waht he's been saying the last few years??? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

**I apologize to all the good people on here for bringing politics into this conversation. Trust me that it was only to make a point and I will not do it again in this thread.

Last few years? TRY 30 YEARS.

What an incredibly idiotic comparison...and it doesn't make your point.

Kelli

PostPosted: 02/03/08 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Kelli wrote:

Why not? Because you dn't want it to?? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 02/03/08 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
jimmyk wrote:

Let. It. Go.

Wow, that's almost as bad as TN fans having to hear over and over how TN has the refs in their pockets, had the luckiest draw in the tourney, etc...You talk a lot about hypocrisy, you should practice what you preach or at least admire yourself in the mirror...

Oh and wasn't it just today that you told Bek, a Rutgers fan, to get over it...Different words but the meaning is pretty much the same...When opinion differs from you and your ilk then they should get over it or let it go but you continue to spew...

Grumps

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/03/08 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
Wow, that's almost as bad as TN fans having to hear over and over how TN has the refs in their pockets, had the luckiest draw in the tourney, etc...You talk a lot about hypocrisy, you should practice what you preach or at least admire yourself in the mirror...

Considering you are one of the ringleaders or the conspiracy theories on the Summitt, why am I not surprised? Par for the course.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/03/08 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelli wrote:

No, Kelli, because you ignore the changing circumstances in Iraq and what is going on the ground over there in your zeal to make a perceived "point" that has absolutely no relevance on this situation.

Why don't you stick to your protests about Nell Fortner and the Fever...and go back to your refusal to buy season tickets? Rolling Eyes

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/03/08 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Kelli wrote:

Is there a need for this?

Kelli

PostPosted: 02/03/08 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Kelli wrote:

No, Kelli, because you ignore the changing circumstances in Iraq and what is going on the ground over there in your zeal to make a perceived "point" that has absolutely no relevance on this situation.

So nothing's changed in wbball in the last few years?

Wow. Sorry to hear that. Sad

PostPosted: 02/03/08 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Kelli wrote:

Is there a need for this?

SOP for Cam when he can't make an argument.

PostPosted: 02/03/08 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's okay. I think comparing wbb to a war in Iraq is a pretty stupid comparison too. Please, let's avoid the over exaggerations before we get to the Hitler comparison as well.
Kelli

PostPosted: 02/03/08 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Kelli wrote:

Why don't you stick to your protests about Nell Fortner and the Fever...and go back to your refusal to buy season tickets? Rolling Eyes

I bet you're still wearing leisure suits and listening to 8-tracks aren't you??

You sure like to live in the past!!!

PostPosted: 02/03/08 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:
It's okay. I think comparing wbb to a war in Iraq is a pretty stupid comparison too.

Exactly.

Kelli

PostPosted: 02/03/08 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:
It's okay. I think comparing wbb to a war in Iraq is a pretty stupid comparison too. Please, let's avoid the over exaggerations before we get to the Hitler comparison as well.

The comparison WAS NOT TO THE WAR. Rolling Eyes

The "comparison" (if you want to use that word) was to show Cam and anyone else that thinks Pat 'owes' wbball something how people can, or SHOULD, change their minds sometimes. And how that changing of mind CAN be for the BETTER!!!!

PostPosted: 02/03/08 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
For one thing, it's one stinking game, and there are very few out of conference series that go as long as Tennessee-UConn without a break.

Except this isn't true.

beknighted wrote:
And as for Duke, while I might not have said what she did, she was into the crowd during the game. For that matter, I'm not particularly convinced that I can buy into the idea that it's cool to be cruel. Yeah, they're young women, not little girls, and they should be tough, but on the other hand, there's something to be said for someone pointing out that it's not the kind of discourse you might wish to encourage from people you hope will be leaders of our society.

Oh yes, poor Alexis. They had a cheer about her criminal record. Oh my goodness. She must be protected from those horrible cheers.

Discourse from future leaders? So a cheer at a basketball game now defines their careers. Our Girls Syndrome yet again. Get over it.

(a) So what part isn't true? How many out of conference series in WCBB have lasted longer than UConn-Tennessee without any interruption?

(b) Our Girls Syndrome? You might note that I said that the players should be able to take these things, and I didn't confine my comments to the women's game. My point is that it's peculiar that Duke, an elite school that pretty pointedly wants its students to become future leaders of various sorts, also is one of the nastiest venues for opposing teams. You'd think that someone at the university might prefer to encourage a different kind of reputation, but perhaps I'm wrong.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/03/08 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
For one thing, it's one stinking game, and there are very few out of conference series that go as long as Tennessee-UConn without a break.

Except this isn't true.

beknighted wrote:
And as for Duke, while I might not have said what she did, she was into the crowd during the game. For that matter, I'm not particularly convinced that I can buy into the idea that it's cool to be cruel. Yeah, they're young women, not little girls, and they should be tough, but on the other hand, there's something to be said for someone pointing out that it's not the kind of discourse you might wish to encourage from people you hope will be leaders of our society.

Oh yes, poor Alexis. They had a cheer about her criminal record. Oh my goodness. She must be protected from those horrible cheers.

Discourse from future leaders? So a cheer at a basketball game now defines their careers. Our Girls Syndrome yet again. Get over it.

(a) So what part isn't true? How many out of conference series in WCBB have lasted longer than UConn-Tennessee without any interruption?

(b) Our Girls Syndrome? You might note that I said that the players should be able to take these things, and I didn't confine my comments to the women's game. My point is that it's peculiar that Duke, an elite school that pretty pointedly wants its students to become future leaders of various sorts, also is one of the nastiest venues for opposing teams. You'd think that someone at the university might prefer to encourage a different kind of reputation, but perhaps I'm wrong.

The Crazies are fun wild yes, I wouldn't say "nasty." Certainly, I've seen nastier fans..

Uconn and Tennessee was the only game non WCBB fans ever payed attention to, that major sports channels ever pay attention to. Pat Summit took that away from WCBB. And might have taken away another rivalry in the sport, if Duke fans didn't behave the way SHE wanted them too.

I'm over the Uconn/Tennessee thing..but I don't want to hear "she'll play anyone" or she does "what's good for the sport." Because she hasn't lately. That statement is no longer true.

PostPosted: 02/03/08 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

Tennessee-LATech, Tennessee-Texas...both come to mind.

Then you have UConn vs. in-state rivals.

Then you have Stanford vs. California schools.

beknighted wrote:

Nasty? Uh, no. Intimidating? YES.

This is why Sports Illustrated voted Cameron as the fourth best sporting venue in the world!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/03/08 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I'm over the Uconn/Tennessee thing..but I don't want to hear "she'll play anyone" or she does "what's good for the sport." Because she hasn't lately. That statement is no longer true.

Exactly. Now it is whomever satisfies her interests at the moment. Doesn't like Geno? No UConn? Doesn't like the Crazies? No Duke. Hopefully Tara or CViv doesn't piss her off.

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/03/08 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Tennessee-LATech, Tennessee-Texas...both come to mind.

Then you have UConn vs. in-state rivals.

Then you have Stanford vs. California schools.

beknighted wrote:

Nasty? Uh, no. Intimidating? YES.

This is why Sports Illustrated voted Cameron as the fourth best sporting venue in the world!

You're certainly entitled to your opinion about Cameron, and evidently nobody at Duke minds, but I am a little surprised that you don't seem to think that there might be reason for a different view.

I don't have time to research everything, but I do note that Stanford does not appear to have played any OOC California opponent more than twice in the last three years, and the UConn-Hartford series (the only Connecticut school they play regularly) didn't begin until sometime after 2000, when Jen Rizzotti started coaching there.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/03/08 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
My point is that it's peculiar that Duke, an elite school that pretty pointedly wants its students to become future leaders of various sorts, also is one of the nastiest venues for opposing teams. You'd think that someone at the university might prefer to encourage a different kind of reputation, but perhaps I'm wrong.

beknighted wrote:
You're certainly entitled to your opinion about Cameron, and evidently nobody at Duke minds, but I am a little surprised that you don't seem to think that there might be reason for a different view.

Well, lets see BeK...by your logic, since Rutgers isn't an elite school, does that mean that the students can be free to be nasty?

Oh, and your definition of nasty is pretty funny. A public arrest record hardly equates to comments about race or sexual orientation. The reason why the Crazies are known as intimidating is for the variety of cheers, the player-specific cheers, and because it isn't about cheers based on immutable characteristics.

myt

PostPosted: 02/03/08 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
You people are hilarious.

I am LMAO!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: