RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

A strongly worded letter to Pat Summitt
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/31/08 12:21 am    ::: A strongly worded letter to Pat Summitt Reply Reply with quote

From the Duke student paper, The Chronicle:

Quote:
But what really upset me was that you told GoVolsXtra.com that you "wouldn't be in favor of continuing the series if we're going to go in a gym and they're going to take personal shots at one of our players."

Now this really doesn't make much sense at all. Women's basketball depends on matchups like Duke-Tennessee. You already ended the marquee rivalry in college basketball this past summer by not renewing your contract with UConn, because in head coach Geno Auriemma's words, "She's not playing us because she hates my guts."

The fact is that since UConn's streak of 70 straight wins ended, women's basketball in this country has been pretty stagnant. The only time the sport is in the national news now is when you set another coaching wins record or for reasons that bring unwanted attention to the sport, such as Pokey Chatman and Don Imus. It's almost poetic that the women's national title game is a day after the men's: it's become an afterthought.

Quite frankly, women's college basketball needs attractive matchups and rivalries since the quality of play doesn't go more than two or three teams deep in each conference. There's no reason why UConn, Tennessee, Duke, UNC, Maryland, Rutgers, Baylor and LSU shouldn't all play one another in the regular season. Would you really end the Duke-Tennessee rivalry, and cast women's basketball's regular season deeper into irrelevance, because of some playful taunting that doesn't even border on hateful? Especially when your players don't even seem to mind?

The Crazies did the right thing by not changing what makes Cameron Cameron and stood up to you last night. But for the good of women's basketball, let's hope you were bluffing.

LINK TO LETTER

waterloosunset

PostPosted: 01/31/08 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
did the right thing by not changing what makes Cameron Cameron and stood up to you last night.

I'm curious -- did they do something in particular to "stand up to" her?Watching it on television, I didn't see them do anything particularly personal toward the players, which was what Summitt was saying not to do, right?

I did see them create their usual amazing amount of distracting noise, etc (including my favorite moment of the game, the fake countdown to Bjorklund's three), but maybe the television cameras stayed off the personal taunting? Anyone who was there want to fill us in? Just, as I said, kinda morbidly curious. Smile

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/31/08 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was the "hobbit" cheer for Bobbitt, a "Target" cheer (not WalMart) for Hornbuckle, the Shelden jersey cheer for Parker, and some of the usual cheers (boink, boink, pass).

But it was not a typical Cameron Crazies crowd for a sold out women's game.

Kelli

PostPosted: 01/31/08 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Am I the only one that sees Pat's ONLY obligation is to TN basketball and NOT women's bball??

To imply she has an obligation to play UConn, Duke, etc. because women's bball "needs" the rivalries and "attractive matchups" is self-destructive. This writer (and others on this board) are telling the national media that they also are only interested in TN and UConn and Duke. That the national media is correct in staying away unless TN is playing UConn or TN is playing Duke.

Why not write that you are happy the UConn game has ended because now another team can now step into their place and see some of the spotlight??

PostPosted: 01/31/08 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelli wrote:
Am I the only one that sees Pat's ONLY obligation is to TN basketball and NOT women's bball??

To imply she has an obligation to play UConn, Duke, etc. because women's bball "needs" the rivalries and "attractive matchups" is self-destructive. This writer (and others on this board) are telling the national media that they also are only interested in TN and UConn and Duke. That the national media is correct in staying away unless TN is playing UConn or TN is playing Duke.

Why not write that you are happy the UConn game has ended because now another team can now step into their place and see some of the spotlight??

From a financial standpoint, I guess you can say that. However, Pat is getting far too sensitive in her old age. Duke is a marquee match-up and they should play all the big teams. It is still good for the game and she has been an integral part of helping the game grow. Why bring this stuff up now? It's part of the game getting bigger. With this attitude, it looks like she won't be playing anyone in the top-5 within the next few years.

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 01/31/08 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You have to remember- Pat has had her way in the sport for a long time. Nobody is allowed to criticize, root against or make it tough on her or her team. Nobody should be able to recruit the same players she wants- she should have right of first refusal. Tenn players should get first consideration for any awards. Tenn should get preferential treatment from all quarters- NCAA, media, etc. If not, she will take her ball and go home and probably launch some sort of negative PR campaign in whoever's direction.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/31/08 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelli wrote:

For someone who claims to play everyone, everywhere for the good of the game (which she has), her comments and actions reek of hypocrisy.

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 01/31/08 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She sounds no different to me than a lot of women's basketball fans with OGS. The only difference is she has power.
gpark33

PostPosted: 01/31/08 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver...Holy Cow! wrote:
You have to remember- Pat has had her way in the sport for a long time. Nobody is allowed to criticize, root against or make it tough on her or her team. Nobody should be able to recruit the same players she wants- she should have right of first refusal. Tenn players should get first consideration for any awards. Tenn should get preferential treatment from all quarters- NCAA, media, etc. If not, she will take her ball and go home and probably launch some sort of negative PR campaign in whoever's direction.

If ANY of that were true, why would she have played UCONN for as long as she did? Everyone is so quick to jump on Pat's comments b/c they need UT to keep their programs in the spotlight. Maybe this should be an opportunity for the UCONNs and Dukes of the world to go out and make their own rivalries and build their own programs to take that throne away from UT (which Geno has been doing all along and I don't recall him saying much on the topic after the "Pat hates me comment"). If you stop relying so much on what Pat is doing for the sport, you would render her comments and opinions meaningless.

As a fan of the sport and UT, I was sad to see the UCONN rivalry end. After reading all of the crying and whining about how much Pat has hurt the sport by ending it, I'm now happy she did. Get over it already. The sport is not going to die b/c UT and UCONN or UT and Duke are not playing. If Pat does follow through on her threat and continues to stop playing the stronger teams, it will only hurt her program. What will everyone bitch about then?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/31/08 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
If ANY of that were true, why would she have played UCONN for as long as she did? Everyone is so quick to jump on Pat's comments b/c they need UT to keep their programs in the spotlight. Maybe this should be an opportunity for the UCONNs and Dukes of the world to go out and make their own rivalries and build their own programs to take that throne away from UT (which Geno has been doing all along and I don't recall him saying much on the topic after the "Pat hates me comment"). If you stop relying so much on what Pat is doing for the sport, you would render her comments and opinions meaningless.

And I reiterate, for someone who has repeatedly claimed to play anyone, anywhere to build the sport, this reeks of hypocrisy, especially the reasons given. She is upset because there is a vocal, active student presence at women's games with a cheer directed at one player? Wow, I thought having students actually interested in the game was GOOD for the sport, given some women's games (especially those at Tennessee) look like the geriatric ward at Cedar Sinai Medical Center.

Grumps

PostPosted: 01/31/08 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:

From a financial standpoint, I guess you can say that. However, Pat is getting far too sensitive in her old age. Duke is a marquee match-up and they should play all the big teams. It is still good for the game and she has been an integral part of helping the game grow. Why bring this stuff up now? It's part of the game getting bigger. With this attitude, it looks like she won't be playing anyone in the top-5 within the next few years.

Or maybe there will be a new top 5 which is what everyone seems to want anyway...Oklahoma has been added for the next two years so it isn't like she is just putting patsies on her schedule...

For years message boards have been griping about TN and UConn being on the top of the heap, getting all the attention and whatnot so lets spread the wealth a little and see if that grows the game overall...The game as a whole will not grow if you have the same teams playing year after year...If you really wanted that then have a super conference and put all the top teams in it and forget about the rest of them...

Grumps

gpark33

PostPosted: 01/31/08 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
And I reiterate, for someone who has repeatedly claimed to play anyone, anywhere to build the sport, this reeks of hypocrisy, especially the reasons given. She is upset because there is a vocal, active student presence at women's games with a cheer directed at one player? Wow, I thought having students actually interested in the game was GOOD for the sport, given some women's games (especially those at Tennessee) look like the geriatric ward at Cedar Sinai Medical Center.

Pat started that BS with the Duke fans to put the attention on herself, and everyone with a pulse knows it.

If Pat does decide to stop playing Duke b/c of the fans, I doubt she'll replace them with a mid-major. If the speak of playing the big teams is so hypocritical, how does she always manage to stay atop in terms of SOS?

And as for the comment about the "geriatric ward," I have a hard time believing ANY team in the country, men included, would not welcome the kind of support UT gets year and out from their community. What THAT comment reeks of is some sad need to unsuccessfully belittle what has consistently been the biggest program in the country for the entire life of NCAA WCBB.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/31/08 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
If Pat does decide to stop playing Duke b/c of the fans, I doubt she'll replace them with a mid-major. If the speak of playing the big teams is so hypocritical, how does she always manage to stay atop in terms of SOS?

And as for the comment about the "geriatric ward," I have a hard time believing ANY team in the country, men included, would not welcome the kind of support UT gets year and out from their community. What THAT comment reeks of is some sad need to unsuccessfully belittle what has consistently been the biggest program in the country for the entire life of NCAA WCBB.

And the fact Summitt is now using that power to get rid of top matchups involving top teams because another one of her personal whims is completely hypocritical for what you just stated...

And this is nothing about belittling. It is about recognizing that Duke has the Cameron Crazies...and for sold out women's games, the Crazies were a major force. And Pat didn't like them. Duke did something Tennessee can't do...get students at games. Now, Duke needs to do more consistently.

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 01/31/08 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with elderly fans at all. They are sometimes the most loyal. That is probably the common denominator among "well-attended" women's teams- they've connected with the 50+ crowd. They have money to spend and time available. And they deserve to be treated well.

That being said, didn't Tenn announce a contest to attract students to games in which they're giving one of them free tuition?

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 01/31/08 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
gpark33 wrote:

And the fact Summitt is now using that power to get rid of top matchups involving top teams because another one of her personal whims is completely hypocritical for what you just stated...

And this is nothing about belittling. It is about recognizing that Duke has the Cameron Crazies...and for sold out women's games, the Crazies were a major force. And Pat didn't like them. Duke did something Tennessee can't do...get students at games. Now, Duke needs to do more consistently.

couldn't agree more with the author of the letter and Cam.

Pat IS the face of women's bball, whether she likes or not. To cry about the Cameron Crazies tells me she wants women's bball to be different than men's, and that is one of our problems with attracking new fans and media. It's college bball Pat, deal with it.

LdyVolsFn

PostPosted: 01/31/08 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that the sport thrives on big time matchups. IMO if you look at the schedules the big teams (Maryland, Duke, UNC, LSU, UT, UConn, Standford, Oklahoma) each on is only playing 1 or 2 big out of conference games except Tennessee which has 4. You do have to consider that since UNC, MD, and Duke area all ACC teams they play each other no matter what. Even if Tenn does end big name series they still are on par with what other teams are doing and they more than likely would pick up other big match ups to fill the schedule.

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 01/31/08 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MD has played Duke, UNC, LSU, Oklahoma and Rutgers.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 01/31/08 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LdyVolsFn wrote:
I agree that the sport thrives on big time matchups. IMO if you look at the schedules the big teams (Maryland, Duke, UNC, LSU, UT, UConn, Standford, Oklahoma) each on is only playing 1 or 2 big out of conference games except Tennessee which has 4. You do have to consider that since UNC, MD, and Duke area all ACC teams they play each other no matter what. Even if Tenn does end big name series they still are on par with what other teams are doing and they more than likely would pick up other big match ups to fill the schedule.

Stanford played UConn, RU, Tenn and Baylor. That's 4 top ten team, which went 3-1 for Stanford.

We play TN every year, but I'm afraid Pat may cancel due to our refs allowing Parker being roughed up at Maples.

shizanna

PostPosted: 01/31/08 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pat is coming off as whiney. *shrug* That's her right, but she is being a hypocrit. So she deserves the criticism that comes from this sort of "I don't like you so I'm not playing you" stance. Pat isn't the one playing, she should let her players play...

PostPosted: 01/31/08 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver...Holy Cow! wrote:
Nothing wrong with elderly fans at all. They are sometimes the most loyal. That is probably the common denominator among "well-attended" women's teams- they've connected with the 50+ crowd. They have money to spend and time available. And they deserve to be treated well.

Hey THC, "elderly" and "50+" are NOT synonymous!!! Wink

(But we boomers do deserve to be treated well!! Very Happy )

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/31/08 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that her threat to end another series with arguably the third (at least in this decade) most prominent WCBB program is ill-advised.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/31/08 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she keeps it up, the top tier schools may just decide to play each other, and leave her out of it.

PostPosted: 01/31/08 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't have an issue with Summitt playing whoever she wants for any reason she choses. No coach is required to go against his or her better judgment or play games they think are not in their team's best interest. The problem for me is how she is continually noted to be doing things for some amorphous good of the game concept. Every move she makes is supposed to be wonderful and noble. Like she is above it all and above the rest of the coaches. This is not necessarily her fault. It is the media and the fanbase who perpetuate that image. But it does cause others to scrutinize her "noble" decisions more. You can do one or the other. If you want to look after yourself and/or make decisions based on your personal preferences, fine, but you don't get to claim the moral high ground too. Sure, those awful Crazies are so bad, poor Vol players are being traumatized and noble St Pat has to warn them off to save her "kids" from the possible horror. Hypocrisy is right.

The dramatic dropping of UConn, the major whining about the refs being unfair to wilting little flower Parker on the rare occasion that they lose, the creating a controversy with Duke when there was no need-what is going on with Summitt? Why all the drama?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/31/08 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
If she keeps it up, the top tier schools may just decide to play each other, and leave her out of it.

Duke and UConn are set to renew their series in 2009.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/31/08 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LdyVolsFn wrote:
I agree that the sport thrives on big time matchups. IMO if you look at the schedules the big teams (Maryland, Duke, UNC, LSU, UT, UConn, Standford, Oklahoma) each on is only playing 1 or 2 big out of conference games except Tennessee which has 4.

UConn has played Duke, UNC, and Stanford and has a matchup coming up with LSU. Not to mention they are playing Rutgers twice as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: