RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rutgers loses
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wnbashockballa

PostPosted: 01/29/08 8:50 pm    ::: Rutgers loses Reply Reply with quote

54-63 to west virgina Shocked wish i could of seen this one

PostPosted: 01/29/08 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

West Virginia has several offensive threats (Owens, Cole, Sanni, and Bulger). I'd like to say I'm surprised. But I'm not. West Virginia has the potential to be a strong scoring team, and Rutgers struggles to win shootouts.

PostPosted: 01/29/08 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just checked the box score. Is it correct that Bulger did not play? Any additional information on that from anyone?

This is certainly a signature win for WVU and something to build from.

PostPosted: 01/29/08 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bulger tweaked her knee.. i think she's missed two games

Sanni had four fouls early in the 2nd but Kia didn't get the ball...

PostPosted: 01/29/08 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
bulger tweaked her knee.. i think she's missed two games.

Is it serious?

PostPosted: 01/29/08 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taking another look at WVU, their losses come to UT, IU, and UConn. Their best wins come over Notre Dame and now Rutgers.

Their schedule in the Big East is very favorable and they have DePaul and Pittsburgh I believe twice each. Honestly, there is a real chance that this team could be 26-3 going into the Big East tournament, though the rest of their Big East schedule will be a bit of a test.

PostPosted: 01/29/08 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sanni is a bad-ass. I saw her completely own the St. John's frontcourt (now, granted, the St. John's frontcourt consists of a Euro, a skinny sophomore, a skinny freshman, and a bruiser who's lost her metaphorical cojones), but she immediately brought Kym Hampton to mind. She might need a year or two to get some polish on her, but a team that has time to spare could do well with her.

Every BEast team only gets one other team twice; I believe their double is Pittsburgh, as that's a big local rivalry. Sanni versus Walker, and Bulger versus Zellous… hmm, I wonder if any of those are Saturday afternoon games. Nah, I wouldn't want to go to Pittsburgh for a weekend.

PostPosted: 01/29/08 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Sanni is a bad-ass. I saw her completely own the St. John's frontcourt (now, granted, the St. John's frontcourt consists of a Euro, a skinny sophomore, a skinny freshman, and a bruiser who's lost her metaphorical cojones), but she immediately brought Kym Hampton to mind. She might need a year or two to get some polish on her, but a team that has time to spare could do well with her.

I've always like Yinka. I actually compare her to another Liberty player, Tari Phillips.

PostPosted: 01/29/08 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the description, Queenie! From the box score, it looks like Owens just lit up the second half.

Reb, can you please put back the sticky that says NO RESULTS IN SUBJECT LINES? The subject line here should have been "Rutgers at WVU." This game wasn't televised, so no big deal, but still... you never know what games somebody has TiVo'd, in general.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/29/08 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not surprised by this. Villanova only lost to RU by 9...Nova should not be within 9 points of RU (sorry Harry). I knew when I saw that score that WVU would spell trouble for RU.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 01/29/08 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

can anyone tell me why RU goes to the "55" defense with like 1 minute left? why not - oh, i don't know -- just a smidge earlier?

matee was a turnover machine, it seemed, and RU's shooting in the second half (when they weren't turning over the ball) was abysmal.

Zellous aside, i do think RU will take down Pitt., if only because they're the next ones up and there's a lot of pride at stake. not to mention what follows... Tenn and Connecticut! maybe Connecticut. maybe.

and you know what? RU had better watch out for Syracuse.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 01/29/08 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know more about Meg's knee... just thinking about it gives me tummy pains...

oddly enough, they do quite well without her.... I wish her only the best, tho, and would rather have her on the court

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/29/08 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bravo, west virginia.

if uconn can pull off the win next week in pissthataway, they're almost a lock for another BEast title.

PostPosted: 01/29/08 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sanni is a handful and hasn't that much basketball experience. She must have given Kia Vaughn some trouble?

Wish this game was televised here. We got St. Johns versus Seton Hall and TCU versus UNLV. I'm sure everyone in the West, Southwest, Northwest and Southeast were glued to the TV for these games.....

Sorry Queenie, no offense intended! Laughing

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 01/29/08 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Sanni is a handful and hasn't that much basketball experience. She must have given Kia Vaughn some trouble?

Wish this game was televised here. We got St. Johns versus Seton Hall and TCU versus UNLV. I'm sure everyone in the West, Southwest, Northwest and Southeast were glued to the TV for these games.....

Sorry Queenie, no offense intended! Laughing

Sanni plays for the Nigerian national team... she was in Brazil last September...

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/30/08 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not surprised West Virginia won. They were at home, they are good (#12 in the country? Probably not, but they're looking like they can be a good team), and they are a better team without Bulger (reference 2nd half of 2005-06 season and all of 2006-07). Rutgers isn't gong to win too many of these grind-it-out types of games on the road if they can't even break 60 points. It's too early to try and wear down opposing teams. That style works in March, not January.

Mathies to LA 2013
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 01/30/08 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Not surprised West Virginia won. They were at home, they are good (#12 in the country? Probably not, but they're looking like they can be a good team), and they are a better team without Bulger (reference 2nd half of 2005-06 season and all of 2006-07). Rutgers isn't gong to win too many of these grind-it-out types of games on the road if they can't even break 60 points. It's too early to try and wear down opposing teams. That style works in March, not January.

Please elaborate on a better team without Bulger. More than just a time frame of success please.

I mean, she was selected in the WNBA draft last season without being elligible or even having played in the previous year and a half. Is there nothing behind that? Is it just complete idiocy?

PostPosted: 01/30/08 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Please elaborate on a better team without Bulger. More than just a time frame of success please.

I mean, she was selected in the WNBA draft last season without being elligible or even having played in the previous year and a half. Is there nothing behind that? Is it just complete idiocy?

This probably doesn't really compare but at the University of Maine When Cindy Blodgett was there she was the go to person all the time. They did make the tournament every year but never won. She is the best player in school history.

Than the year after she left The University of Maine team got much better and entered the NCAA tournament as a 10 seed, which is highest they had ever gotten to and beat Stanford in the first round and took ODU who was a 2 seed right down to the wire. The better team was when Blodgett left.

I don't watch WVU but I am just showing how it can be possible to have a better team without your best player.

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 01/30/08 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look, I love C.Viv to death, but she's wasting her time recruiting/getting all these prolific scorers and not breaking 60 on a regular basis. If she wants to play Pat Riley ball, she should stop bending over backwards to bring in all these combo guards and just go with a bunch of brolic chicks from Newark. She's getting less with more.
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 01/30/08 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

This probably doesn't really compare but at the University of Maine When Cindy Blodgett was there she was the go to person all the time. They did make the tournament every year but never won. She is the best player in school history.

Than the year after she left The University of Maine team got much better and entered the NCAA tournament as a 10 seed, which is highest they had ever gotten to and beat Stanford in the first round and took ODU who was a 2 seed right down to the wire. The better team was when Blodgett left.

I don't watch WVU but I am just showing how it can be possible to have a better team without your best player.

So is your point that adding Blodgett to that team would make them weaker? That is what I'm trying to understand with the Bulger situation. It's not that I don't grasp the concept, it's that I'm trying to understand if I actually think it applies.

PostPosted: 01/30/08 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK Ladies drop the following off before starting practice

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 01/30/08 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
umbeta1455 wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

So is your point that adding Blodgett to that team would make them weaker? That is what I'm trying to understand with the Bulger situation. It's not that I don't grasp the concept, it's that I'm trying to understand if I actually think it applies.

I was trying to point out that a team can lose it's best player but still have a better team when this happens. sounds like Bulger is the best player on the team. Maybe the offense runs through her to much or more people wait for her to do something. I don't know, I haven't seen them play. Maybe the team plays more like a team when Bulger isn't playing.

gpark33

PostPosted: 01/30/08 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not that upset that RU dropped a Big East game prior to meeting UCONN. I expect them to come in better prepared for that game as a result.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/30/08 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those kinds of things happen all the time. Look at men's basketball. Utah had Keith Van Horn for four years, but didn't make the F4 until the year after he graduated. Same thing for Virginia with Ralph Sampson. Tennessee's football team won the national championship....the year after Peyton Manning graduated. Look at the Giants, in the Superbowl after losing Tiki Barber. Bill Simmons calls it the Ewing Theory.

PostPosted: 01/30/08 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BIG-TIME CONGRATS TO WEST VIRGINIA!!!!!
Way to go, Mike Carey & Team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: