RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Freshmen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 01/29/08 7:37 am    ::: The Freshmen Reply Reply with quote

Talk about your favorite freshmen here. I was hoping that this thread would help uncover some gems from the non-Stanford, UConn, Tenn, Duke, UNC sorta bunch, but certainly talk about the big guns like Bjorklund, Moore, Pederson, etc.

PostPosted: 01/29/08 7:41 am    ::: Re: The Freshmen Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
Talk about your favorite freshmen here. I was hoping that this thread would help uncover some gems from the non-Stanford, UConn, Tenn, Duke, UNC sorta bunch, but certainly talk about the big guns like Bjorklund, Moore, Pederson, etc.

Brjorklund in amazing, I enjoyed watching her last night, but she still has a long way to go, she will have a bright future, I just hope she doesnt break any records.

Grumps

PostPosted: 01/29/08 9:38 am    ::: Re: The Freshmen Reply Reply with quote

ZoCroSixPence wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:

Brjorklund in amazing, I enjoyed watching her last night, but she still has a long way to go, she will have a bright future, I just hope she doesnt break any records.

Break any records? She will own them by the time she graduates...At the last home game I overheard people talking about a drive to retire her jersey... Razz

Grumps

spikeybedhead

PostPosted: 01/29/08 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

K.Thomas looked pretty good. Imposing on the frontline, and even though she bobbled some chippies, her instinct to grab boards/make the right pass seemed pretty good.

Maya Moore just makes everything looks so easy.

Strickland, when she isn't reigned in, looks like she'll be a good player. I know she has got to be better than a fifth option catch and shoot-type, and maybe with Lang/Harper's graduations, she'll be able to show more of her game off next year.

Lavender is averaging 17 + 10. that's huge for a freshman center. Yes, she could go the way of Anderson/Davenport, but I think she might be a better rebounder/more physical player than both.

Lucas just needs some time on the court. She's like Hatchell's redheaded stepchild.

Bjorklund. wow.

ZoCroSixPence

PostPosted: 01/29/08 9:52 am    ::: Re: The Freshmen Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
ZoCroSixPence wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:

Break any records? She will own them by the time she graduates...At the last home game I overheard people talking about a drive to retire her jersey... Razz

Grumps

Tell me why you think Angie is better than Shanna?

Grumps

PostPosted: 01/29/08 10:09 am    ::: Re: The Freshmen Reply Reply with quote

ZoCroSixPence wrote:

I am just giving you a hard time...I am a LV fan and you seem to be infatuated with one player...Z was always a favorite of mine, but she is gone so it's time to move on...I will say this though, Angie has an advantage over Z in the fact that she is a freshman starter...She has tied Z's record for 3's in a game 3 time so far and will more than likely break it before she leaves...She also is on pace to break the career record...I don't know if she will get the most in a year, but Z didn't do that till her Sr year...

I was also a Holdsclaw fan, and Catchings, and Parker, but I hope we get someone better than all of those too if you know what I mean...

Grumps

Kailapea

PostPosted: 01/29/08 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dorexia Morris and Doreena Campbell from UCLA. These kids have some serious game, and do not seem to be feeling the pressure of being a freshman. Campbell has started nearly every game and Morris is turning out to be a true court leader.

They also have Nina Earl and Regina Rogers. Earl is a gamer, but can be a little out of control and inconsistent at times. I like Rogers, but she needs to drop some weight. She has good fottwork and really could make a difference in the Bruin line up. She reminds me of a young Pokey, from UoA (RIP).

ZoCroSixPence

PostPosted: 01/29/08 10:14 am    ::: Re: The Freshmen Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
ZoCroSixPence wrote:

I am just giving you a hard time...I am a LV fan and you seem to be infatuated with one player...Z was always a favorite of mine, but she is gone so it's time to move on...I will say this though, Angie has an advantage over Z in the fact that she is a freshman starter...She has tied Z's record for 3's in a game 3 time so far and will more than likely break it before she leaves...She also is on pace to break the career record...I don't know if she will get the most in a year, but Z didn't do that till her Sr year...

I was also a Holdsclaw fan, and Catchings, and Parker, but I hope we get someone better than all of those too if you know what I mean...

Grumps

If Angie was to tie all the records then I would be ok with that, and if you look at some of it, Angie is a second or third scoring option, where Shanna was 1 or 2; once Angie's Tenn career is over, it would b nice if they looked at both players numbers and not retired the jersey based on, both have been outstanding players

gpark33

PostPosted: 01/29/08 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am loving Brjorklund so it pains me to say Moore is showing the most talent/potential at this point. She is really a special player. Lots of fun to watch.

Grumps

PostPosted: 01/29/08 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
I am loving Brjorklund so it pains me to say Moore is showing the most talent/potential at this point. She is really a special player. Lots of fun to watch.

No doubt about who the best freshman in the country is... Sad

Grumps

ZoCroSixPence

PostPosted: 01/29/08 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
gpark33 wrote:

No doubt about who the best freshman in the country is... Sad

Grumps

It would be cool if Bjorklund was the best freshman, but she will get better as time goes on

Gator

PostPosted: 01/29/08 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Four time (so far) Big 12 Rookie of the Week
Danielle Robinson, Oklahoma, G, 5-9, Fr, San Jose, Calif.
Freshman guard Robinson averaged 12 points, 6.5 assists and three steals in the Sooners' 78-39 victory over Texas Tech and 65-57 defeat of No. 17/14 Georgia last week. Robinson went 5-of-10 from the field against the Red Raiders and totaled six points, three rebounds and two steals in 19 minutes. The freshman registered a career-high seven assists against Georgia and added four steals, two rebounds and six fast break points. With 42 steals in 17 games, Robinson is on pace to break Oklahoma's single-season freshman record of 74 steals set by LaNeisha Caufield in 1998-99.

That is the official version. The fan version is that she is lightening fast and learning how to use it better all of the time. She is sharing PG duties with Plumley (5'3")

****"I was hoping that this thread would help uncover some gems from the non-Stanford, UConn, Tenn, Duke, UNC sorta bunch"****

You guys should really be paying some attention to the conference with NINE teams with RPI'S of 45 or better if you want to see some seriously competitive WCBB night after night after night.

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 01/29/08 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's been dealing with injuries but Jess McCormack of the UW is gonna be a good one.

Katelan Redmon is also showing a whole lot of promise.

John Wooden
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 01/29/08 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why Bjorklund is a better prospect than Zolman? I'll take that one.

Bjorklund has the same pretty release and works hard to get her shot off while handling the ball at least moderately well, just like Zolman started doing in her junior and senior seasons.

So take Shanna as a junior and add some inches, and you have Bjorklund and three more years before graduation. Bjorklund is definitely some sort of hybrid between Sidney and Shanna.

PostPosted: 01/29/08 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can tell you why Angie is better than Shanna, because at the rate she's going she will shatter every 3 point record in Tennessee history. She shoots with just as much accuracy, can create her shot much better and is just as good inside the arc as behind. Shanna was good, but I look forward to seeing what Angie will do in her career. If you are a Tennessee fan, you pray that she'll shatter the 3-point record books. But, if you're just a player fan, I can see why this may disturb you.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/29/08 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stefanie Murphy of BC has been a solid contributor for her team. She's come back down to Earth a bit since ACC season began, but she's a good freshman that few know about.

Mathies to LA 2013
stever

PostPosted: 01/29/08 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kalisha Keane! Wink

http://shesgotgame.blogspot.com/2008/01/michigan-states-kalisha-keane.html

sbjules

PostPosted: 01/29/08 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding freshmen I've seen in person:

I like Strickland of MD and I like UCSB's Ashlee Brown. Ashlee has only started maybe one game, but comes off the bench with power. She has great basketball instincts and plays great defense.

alaskacard

PostPosted: 01/29/08 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about some love for Stanford's Kayla Pederson? She's having a teriffic year and is a very talented player.

sbjules

PostPosted: 01/29/08 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

alaskacard wrote:
How about some love for Stanford's Kayla Pederson? She's having a teriffic year and is a very talented player.

I've liked what I've seen of her!!

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/29/08 6:39 pm    ::: Re: The Freshmen Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:

Erica Morrow at Syracuse is already a good one. She runs the point for a very young, but talented Orange squad. They are definitely going to be heard from in the coming years.

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/29/08 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Deveraux Peters from Notre Dame is a good one. I was impressed with her in the Tennessee game earlier this year on CBS. Great instincts with the ball. Her athleticism is noteworthy.

Out in the MWC, San Diego State's Paris Johnson is the team's leading scorer and rebounder and will be a force in the conference for the next four years.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/29/08 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oddly, there are no freshpersons in the top 50 in the nation in scoring.

PostPosted: 01/29/08 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not big with saying player X is the next player Y.

With that said, I am going to say that I see worth while comparison between the athleticism of Jasmine Thomas and the athleticism of Armintie Price.

PostPosted: 01/29/08 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Deveraux Peters from Notre Dame is a good one. I was impressed with her in the Tennessee game earlier this year on CBS. Great instincts with the ball. Her athleticism is noteworthy.

Out in the MWC, San Diego State's Paris Johnson is the team's leading scorer and rebounder and will be a force in the conference for the next four years.

I was impressed by her and by Pederson. But as a UCONN fan, I love Moore.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: