RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Maryland vs. North Carolina -- Early Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/26/08 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...or a smart pick for Phoenix at the end of the first round (depending on who else is available).

LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 01/26/08 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, wanted MD to win this, but they fouled way too much, and NC got away with a few. Oh well it was a great game to watch.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 01/26/08 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan05 is making sense.

Maryland ran out of posts, and out of steam. I haven't looked at the rebounding margins for the OTs but I'm sure they favored UNC. And I'm not sure the refs "favored" UNC at the end: the Tar Heels had a massive height advantage, which let them shut down Maryland's posts without fouling, and without appearing to foul.

Do we fault Maryland's acting coach for not using his bench? or for not using his timeouts? or for having Coleman, not Tolliver, bring up the ball at the end of regulation? I think I do. But I haven't seen this year's Terps enough to feel secure in blaming the loss on the coach.

I don't know where Larkins will go in the first round, but I think she's a first-rounder, and I agree that Pringle's a second-round bargain (just like Camille Little last year).

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/27/08 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

spikeybedhead wrote:
Really? I thought because of hype and general body of work, that Humphrey/Larkins would be ahead of Pringle + Harper.

Pringle and Harper have been scouted for a couple of seasons now, and both have improved since their sophomore seasons. Humphrey and Larkins haven't improved one iota. Harper and Pringle are closer to 6-4, and both can defend players much taller. Humphrey and Larkins are closer to 6-1, and neither can defend a tall player who's also strong.

I think more GMs will be willing to take a chance on Pringle and Harper because of their height and career trajectory (neither is near her ceiling). I still have some doubts about Pringle's durability (because of the anemia), but some of those doubts have been silenced for now.

Quote:
She kind of reminds of Byears. As in, she brings the beef and could really compliment leaner, longer, but less physical posts like Burse/T.Smith/Ohlde.

"Byears types" should be available with the 8th pick. She's not getting any taller--or better, so why feel pressed to select her so high? Because of her reputation? Please. NBA GMs everywhere would cringe over the thought of taking a finished product ahead of a potential pick with height.

Quote:
As much as I loathe the special-ed coaching that Hatchell employs and Rashanda McCants-I can't help but root for Larkins/Pringle.

ROTF! Very Happy

Mathies to LA 2013
potd41

PostPosted: 01/27/08 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a great game to showcase womens basketball. Didn't care who won. Glad I got to watch it. Very Happy

PostPosted: 01/27/08 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

I think more GMs will be willing to take a chance on Pringle and Harper because of their height and career trajectory (neither is near her ceiling).

In the NBA and NFL All American lists and Heisman winners are thrown out the door. Scouts aren't exactly drooling over Tyler Hansborough and Kevin Love the way ESPN is.

I don't think WNBA scouts are looking that far ahead yet--Which will be the reason why Kia Vaughn will be drafted behind at least one Paris twin, why Langhorne might be drafted over Pringle...etc.

I do think Pringle/Harper have high ceilings, but I think scouts are often swayed by All-American lists/ESPN hype/BCS conference hype--and Larkins/Humphrey will be on the receiving end of those.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/27/08 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

spikeybedhead wrote:
In the NBA and NFL All American lists and Heisman winners are thrown out the door. Scouts aren't exactly drooling over Tyler Hansborough and Kevin Love the way ESPN is.

I don't think WNBA scouts are looking that far ahead yet--Which will be the reason why Kia Vaughn will be drafted behind at least one Paris twin, why Langhorne might be drafted over Pringle...etc.

I do think Pringle/Harper have high ceilings, but I think scouts are often swayed by All-American lists/ESPN hype/BCS conference hype--and Larkins/Humphrey will be on the receiving end of those.

You bring up some good points. In major sports leagues (NBA, NFL, MLB), the emphasis is placed more on pro potential (body type, athleticism, room for growth in game) than on college credentials--hence the reason why Hansblo doesn't mind staying in school for four years. However, I don't think the WNBA is too far from making a similar change in philosophy, especially when it comes to post players. Brooke Smith's slip down the draft boards (despite her inflated college reputation) serves as proof that we could be in for a change. One could even argue that Latta's drop down the boards is another example of the scouts not buying completely into the college-generated hype.

Make no mistake about it. The WNBA is still a reputation-based league when it comes to scouting (most of the chumps they tout will have a minimal impact in professional hoops). Their scouting efforts overall are piss poor at best (I've seen them "in action" at college games--they're glorified spectators). However, I do think that Harper and Pringle will "defy logic" and get drafted higher than the likes of Larkins and Humphrey.

Mathies to LA 2013
ucbart

PostPosted: 01/27/08 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:
Where does Larkins project to go in the draft?

5th big taken (behind Parker, Fowles, Pringle, and Harper). That probably puts her around 8th or so. She's a great player and all, but she's still fat and only 6-1.

After watching Larkins for four years, I'm convinced she is taller than 6'1". I think she is about 6'3"

spikeybedhead

PostPosted: 01/27/08 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:
Where does Larkins project to go in the draft?

5th big taken (behind Parker, Fowles, Pringle, and Harper). That probably puts her around 8th or so. She's a great player and all, but she's still fat and only 6-1.

After watching Larkins for four years, I'm convinced she is taller than 6'1". I think she is about 6'3"

There's so much weird height inflation e.g. Courtney Paris/Tasha Humphrey.

If Larkins were 6'3", she'd be Cheryl Ford-esque and be the clear-cut #3 pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: