RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Buffs @ Texas Tech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unkiemark

PostPosted: 01/25/08 10:53 pm    ::: Buffs @ Texas Tech Reply Reply with quote

We've said before that every game is a big game in the Big 12, but for the Buffs the next two (TT, ISU) could be make or break in terms of finishing in the top half of the league standings. CU has already lost twice at home with both games being very winnable. The losses to ISU and TA&M in Boulder mean that CU must win a number of road games to get themselves into the top five.

Saturday it's Texas Tech, another winnable contest for the Buffs. TT is coming of a 39 - 78 loss to OU. The Buffs are coming of an 18 point home win against Kansas (okay, OU and KU are in very different places in terms of talent and play), for the Buffs perhaps this means a bit of confidence that is needed at this point.

CU may well be without starting forward Aija Putnina and backup point guard Whitney Houston. Putnina has a broken finger and Houston is in Memphis for a funeral. It's very possible that freshman Courtney Dunn will start in place of Putnina. Dunn has played well recently, especially on Tuesday night after Putnina sat out the second half.

The game is live on FSN at 3 pm MST.

http://www.buffzone.com/news/2008/jan/25/putnina-may-not-play-at-tech/

http://www.cubuffs.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=1373322

http://www.cubuffs.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=1374996

http://texastech.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/012408aaa.html

PostPosted: 01/26/08 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice article on Colorado's Brittany Spears.

http://www.redraiders.com/stories/012608/wbb1.shtml

"Spears has been especially tough since conference play began. She's averaging 17.2 points and 8.4 rebounds in Big 12 play - ranking fourth in the league in each category - and she's tied for first in free-throw shooting at 88.9 percent."

unkiemark

PostPosted: 01/26/08 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I enjoyed the article posted above. Spears is truly a difference maker, on both ends.

Apparently CU's Aija Putnina is still questionable for today's game.

http://www.buffzone.com/news/2008/jan/25/fsn-3-pm-putninas-status-remains-unknown/

PostPosted: 01/26/08 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Colorado would have looked much, much better had they not made the trip. Love that cardboard cutout defense. Embarrassing is the only word that fits.

28-18 Tech. Any half-decent team would be up by 40.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 01/26/08 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My apologies to cardboard cutouts everywhere. They couldn't possibly be this awful. Colorado's offense, however, is giving the D a run for the incompetence award.

Tech only up 35-26 at the half. Curry should rip her team a new one in the locker room for that.

That I'm gonna watch the second half proves that I'm a masochist.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 01/26/08 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, even my masochism has limits. I'm not going to watch this anymore. With this lack of effort and hustle, CU should just scrap their wbb program and try gymnastics or something.

unkiemark

PostPosted: 01/26/08 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Needless to say, it was good I was watching this game alone - I was absolutely losing it. No defense, no offense, etc. It reminded me of what we saw out of the Buffs last season, not this season. It's as if the Buffs have forgotten everything they had learned since the Siena debacle.

I was worried after the KU game earlier this week as the Buffs showed some of these weaknesses, but wow, I didn't expect this. Let's face it, CU is at a crossroads right now. If they continue this play, their season is over.

PostPosted: 01/27/08 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

unkiemark wrote:
Needless to say, it was good I was watching this game alone - I was absolutely losing it. No defense, no offense, etc. It reminded me of what we saw out of the Buffs last season, not this season. It's as if the Buffs have forgotten everything they had learned since the Siena debacle.

I was worried after the KU game earlier this week as the Buffs showed some of these weaknesses, but wow, I didn't expect this. Let's face it, CU is at a crossroads right now. If they continue this play, their season is over.

Tech's defense needs to be given some credit for the lack of scoring on Colorado's part. They did a good job on all of the players except McFarland and, kudos to her, I'm not sure anyone can defend her well enough to keep her from scoring points. I'm really hoping this game means the Tech's team is finally gelling as a team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: