RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Summitt has warning for 'Crazies'.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 01/25/08 9:39 pm    ::: Summitt has warning for 'Crazies'. Reply Reply with quote

http://govolsxtra.com/news/2008/jan/25/summitt-has-warning-crazies/

Quote:
Tennessee women’s basketball coach Pat Summitt hopes that Duke’s “Cameron Crazies” waving plastic shopping bags and chanting “Wal-Mart” at Lady Vols guard Alexis Hornbuckle are things of the past.

If not, then the series between the two schools might be.

Second-ranked Tennessee (17-1) and No. 10 Duke (15-4) play at 7 p.m. Monday (TV: ESPN2) at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, N.C.

“I wouldn’t be in favor of continuing the series if we’re going to go in a gym and they’re going to take personal shots at one of our players,’’ Summitt said.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 01/25/08 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

interesting....

while I have nary a problem with her having a problem, if you get my drift, and speaking up about it.... (and I'm sure there'll be plenty of "it's just in fun," or "there goes that 'our girls' thought speak") it's interesting that she should choose to threaten to end the series in the paper instead of speaking with the AD and Coach P. Who, in turn, could have made it clear the entire season what they - or Pat - considers "shots" at opposing players.

Didn't Pat put out a request that the TN fans treat DT respectfully when she arrived with the US team? That worked (for the most part).

PostPosted: 01/25/08 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm...

If Tennessee keeps cancelling these series with top 20 programs, they're going to run out of teams to boost their SOS and RPI Wink .

*Clears space out for Duke just in case they get sent to exile with UConn*

Last edited by BBallFanCT729 on 01/25/08 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 01/25/08 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Pat's gonna run away from another good series... Somehow I'm not surprised.

I hope they do it. The first time I was cracking the hell up. It was hilarious. They got in her head and it clearly rattled Hornbuckle. Here's a thought Pat, if you don't like cheap shots, then don't recruit shoplifters? She did it, and she should be held responsible for her actions and whatever repercussions that come along with them. She isn't 13 years old, she's a friggen senior in college. If Hornbuckle can't handle it, hopefully she can run home to Mommy after the game. Crying or Very sad Boo frickity hoo.

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/25/08 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Pat live in a parallel universe? This happens all over the nation, even in The Summitt, I bet. You can't stop what people say. Unless it becomes incredibly hostile or violent, I don't see a problem. I mean, sure, I'd love a world where we all smiled, hugged, and treated everyone nicely, but we live in a different world. And what a cowardless threat. As if her fans at Tennessee are perfect angels. Whatever. Rolling Eyes

I'm going to go out of my comfort zone and root for the Blue Devils this weekend. This threat only adds fuel to my fire.

BTW- I find it funny that Alexis Hornbuckle, the one attacked, could care less, yet Pat is the one bringing it up and firing out threats. Interesting.

PostPosted: 01/25/08 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't buy that Alexis doesn't care at all -- although of course I would expect her to say that she doesn't. And I don't blame Coach Summit. Personally, I'm tired of people feeling like they can yell personal insults at athletes performing - especially non-pros, like student-athletes. When did this become acceptable? It's so offensive.

I think people really need to think about how incredibly tacky it is -- is that how they behave when they're walking down the street? They just start yelling things at strangers? 'Cause in my neck of the woods, people who do things like that are assholes (not to mention living dangerously), and I don't see why being in a sports arena should make that behavior any less "asshole-ish."

While I'm lecturing Wink on unsportsman/woman-like behavior, I would like to publicly state that I HATE those new spiral-swirling distractor-things I'm seeing under the baskets of opposition free throw shooters. Where did these come from and when did they become acceptable? I don't even like the thundersticks they give out in the WNBA -- I really think it's poor sportsmanship in general to try to distract your opponent. You try to beat your opponent and win on your skills and ability, not make them lose because of some non-game related distraction. How tacky and cheap. I'm sick of it and I don't mind at all that Pat Summit is calling attention to it. People listen to her.

I heard some guy at the last Rutgers game yell some stupid thing at a Louisville player (it wasn't even that bad, but it was personal and he called her out by name) and I turned and gave him a look like, "come on, didn't your parents teach you any freakin' manners?" and I KNOW he was ashamed of himself as soon as he saw me. he got all sheepish-looking.

this is what people need to do. make people FEEL bad for behaving like assholes.

ok, bring it.

ZoCroSixPence

PostPosted: 01/25/08 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I would be fueling the fire of this rivaly by going and rooting for Tennessee while my mom roots for the Blue Devils, not to mention having a few signs

mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/25/08 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, if the series is cancelled, at least we'll know why. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 01/25/08 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
I don't buy that Alexis doesn't care at all -- although of course I would expect her to say that she doesn't. And I don't blame Coach Summit. Personally, I'm tired of people feeling like they can yell personal insults at athletes performing - especially non-pros, like student-athletes. When did this become acceptable? It's so offensive.

So it is okay because pro athletes get paid? Please. College athletes do get paid -- their tuition. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Want to pay my college tuition? I'd love to go to school basically for free and have the chance to play the sport I love and represent my college.

And Alexis shouldn't care. If she does, I have ZERO sympathy for her because she brought this upon herself. She's a high profile D1 athlete and made a big mistake... and the media exposed her. What a surprise. Maybe she should think next time she finds herself in Wal Mart.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 01/26/08 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no problem with fans making noise and spinning thangs -- been part of the sport forever..... heck, fan's interference is why BACKBOARDS were invented!!

But there is a line between enthusiastic distraction and just plain insults. We've seen it on this board and we've seen it in stands. Rutgers' football fans (some of them) were called out for their behavior during the Navy game. I've heard that Vandy fans have a mighty pleasant reputation, as do the fans of the boy Terps.

You can't control what people say, true -- but the Garden all but says, watch your mouth or you'll get tossed. (of course, they're mighty selective about what they object too). People will go overboard, yes. Do I give'em looks and (sometimes, if I'm feeling brave) say something? Yes. Me, if I'm going to yell something, I hope that it is somewhat more creative than "You s*ck."

But honestly, and I'm repeating myself (prolly 'cause my nose is cold and my apartment is freezing) but what on earth is Pat doing b*tching about this NOW and in the PAPER?

If she has a problem, deal with the new coach and the Athletic Director. If she wants to exacerbate the situation, threaten the fans publicly and (by association) the administration. Foolish.

PostPosted: 01/26/08 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect this to bring even more fire from the Cameron Cornballs. I just hope they have a lil' respect for Coach Summitt, but I'm not holding my breathe. Even though I thought it wasn't right, I thought the Walmart bags were Laughing But that's just my immaturity. It'll change with time, I hope. Embarassed

edited because I so can't spell. Embarassed

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
Grumps

PostPosted: 01/26/08 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pat came out publicly last year before the Duke game in Knoxville and stated she wouldn't tolerate that type of behavior from our fans...I think it ruined a lot of the students plans at the time... Shocked

Grumps

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 01/26/08 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
Pat came out publicly last year before the Duke game in Knoxville and stated she wouldn't tolerate that type of behavior from our fans...I think it ruined a lot of the students plans at the time... Shocked

Grumps

How do you think she and the fans would have reacted if Gail had said what PHS said about TN fans? (Granted, I'm not sure the Vol fans are as....descriptive? as the CamCrazies are)

PostPosted: 01/26/08 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall, your avatar reminds me of the hounding we gave Diana in 2003 in Cameron. If I'm not mistaken, the Crazies shouted some pretty horrible things to Taurasi during that game--much worse than the treatment Hornbuckle received (according to someone who attended both the UConn 2003 and Tennessee 2006 games). Of course, it was a futile effort as UConn pretty much steamrolled us (winning by about 28 in the second half) and Taurasi got the last laugh. The "call me" gesture was so badass...

I don't agree with this move by Pat Summitt. What's wrong with the Crazies' style? It's just lighthearted heckling from a bunch of overhyped college students. Plus, it's not like Duke's going to actually win the game. Let the kids have their fun while your girls show Coach P what an elite team looks like. If the Crazies aren't yelling comments that are misogynistic, racist, homophobic, or anything negative regarding body image, what's the harm? Hornbuckle is about to graduate from college and possibly embark on a professional basketball career, so random folks yanking her chain about some petty prank she pulled four years ago shouldn't bother her.

Could you imagine the backlash that Coach K would receive if he told Maryland's student section to knock it off? Mind you, Maryland fans have crossed the line with K's teams on several occasions (bragged about raping JJ's little sister, chanted "F--- you, JJ" throughout national television broadcasts, heckled Shelden about his pre-college allegations, hit Carlos Boozer's mother in the head with an unopened bottle of water, among others).

Mathies to LA 2013
mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/26/08 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Could you imagine the backlash that Coach K would receive if he told Maryland's student section to knock it off? Mind you, Maryland fans have crossed the line with K's teams on several occasions (bragged about raping JJ's little sister, chanted "F--- you, JJ" throughout national television broadcasts, heckled Shelden about his pre-college allegations, hit Carlos Boozer's mother in the head with an unopened bottle of water, among others).

Umm..why weren't they told to knock it off. That's pretty sick stuff..

The Uconn soccer fans are like that, we stand right next to the goalie. Very Happy It's all in fun, athletes should be able to handle it.

As you said, Duke fans said far worse things to Taurasi, who handled it fine. And Tenn fans have said far worse to Taurasi..Hornbuckle's a big girl who made a bad decision...that ended up being public. As far as I'm concerend, that's fair game.

PostPosted: 01/26/08 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
Grumps wrote:

Grumps

How do you think she and the fans would have reacted if Gail had said what PHS said about TN fans? (Granted, I'm not sure the Vol fans are as....descriptive? as the CamCrazies are)

Probably would have said "Huh"...I sit near the student section and they get rowdy at times but it is your typical "airball, airball" chant and stuff like that...Nothing near as orchestrated or as personal as the crazies...

Worst place I have ever seen was Vandy...They used to give Kara Lawson a pretty hard time...A lot of it had to do with her looks and some of it was racial...But hey they are a conference game so not much can be done about that...

I have a feeling Pat did what she did to get the crazies off of the players and onto her...We will see how that works out come Monday...

Grumps

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/26/08 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Because this sweaty guy is their coach, and he hates everything Duke.

They've toned it down a bit in recent years because the team has been mediocre or worse (which placed a damper on their *ahem* creativity), but last year they got revved back up. For some reason, Terp fans are obsessed with the facial expressions of one of our players (Jon Scheyer), so they waved cut-outs of his facial expressions from the student section. Weird, but at least it doesn't cross the line.

mercfan3 wrote:
The Uconn soccer fans are like that, we stand right next to the goalie. Very Happy It's all in fun, athletes should be able to handle it.

Exactly. College players are supposed to be learning how to become mentally tough. A few heckling fans shouldn't deter their focus too much at this stage in their careers (provided it's banter, not insulting). While I'd never heckle a high school kid, college athletes are fair game. They're grown up and perform grown up acts, so it's to be assumed that they can handle a little heckling.

mercfan3 wrote:
As you said, Duke fans said far worse things to Taurasi, who handled it fine. And Tenn fans have said far worse to Taurasi..Hornbuckle's a big girl who made a bad decision...that ended up being public. As far as I'm concerend, that's fair game.

I agree. I couldn't imagine Bruce Pearl getting too upset if, say, Kentucky or Vanderbilt fans start waving fake wrapping papers whenever Duke Crews touches the ball. That's because Duke brought that on himself.

Mathies to LA 2013
memphis10

PostPosted: 01/26/08 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach K should have said something, that shit is incomprehensible. The Walmart bags aren't nothing compared to bodily harm and verbal abuse. Personally, I even thought the Walmart bags were kind of funny but I was a stupid college kid that thought hitting some guy in the balls was funny. But nobody should have to take a verbal ass kicking over entertainment. So yes this will fuel the fire but I just hope that the hackling won't be disrespectful.

Don't even start with Candy. That's a whole nuther topic. And trust me Crews has seen enough wrapping papers from fellow UT students and supporters to where it shouldn't be a distraction. Twisted Evil Shall we even go into the heckling from your own fans? Laughing

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford

Last edited by memphis10 on 01/26/08 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
bullsky

PostPosted: 01/26/08 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Illinois fans help up their cell phones last year when Kelvin Sampson came to Champaign Urbana.

Can't wait to see what we come up with this year! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 01/26/08 2:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
Coach K should have said something, that shit is incomprehensible. The Walmart bags aren't nothing compared to bodily harm and verbal abuse. Personally, I even thought the Walmart bags were kind of funny but I was a stupid college kid that thought hitting some guy in the balls was funny. But nobody should have to take a verbal ass kicking over entertainment. So yes this will fuel the fire but I just hope that the hackling won't be disrespectful.

He said something, but it wasn't directed to the Maryland student section. And yes, some of what was said by Maryland fans during the JJ years was definitely over the top--especially the comments about his sister. JJ's sister is still in high school, BTW.

memphis10 wrote:
Don't even start with Candy. That's a whole nuther topic.

Yeah, that's just dumb. If you have to resort to picking on a girl's looks to throw her off her game, then you aren't much of a man/woman. If I'm not mistaken, they were saying some disparaging things about her features, which can be interpreted as racist insults in some contexts.

Imagine how stupid one would be to pick on Rasheed Wallace's looks. By now, I'm pretty sure 'Sheed knows that he's not going to get any calls from GQ.

memphis10 wrote:
And trust me Crews has seen enough wrapping papers from fellow UT students and supporters to where it shouldn't be a distraction. Twisted Evil

Laughing True.

memphis10 wrote:
Shall we even go into the heckling from your own fans? Laughing

Other than the Herman Veal incident, we're fairly harmless. Smile

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/26/08 2:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pat Summit needs to realize that most people in the nation still don't care about women's basketball and never will, only when games like Duke-Tennessee, UConn-Carolina and others similarly situated are played. It's only a good thing for the women's game when the good teams meet. Get over yourself, Pat.

It is interesting, since Pat already decided to cancel the UConn-Tennessee series and is considering doing the same to the Duke-Tennessee series. For someone who claims to play any team at any location, and from someone who claimed to get rid of the UConn series to build other rivalries, her public statements about Duke conflict with her other professed statements about building the game.

Maybe Pat just isn't used to seeing students at games, since the TN audience looks more like the geriatric wing at Cedar Sinai Hospital than a college sporting event.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 01/26/08 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

This past Thursday, Gary Williams sent the following email to Maryland fans:
Quote:

Thanks for your support of our basketball team. You have helped make Comcast Center one of the great arenas to play and to watch a basketball game.

Sunday's game with Duke will be nationally televised. We want to show the country how great the crowd is at Comcast Center.

Maryland fans have been criticized in the past during nationally televised games. One problem has been chanting obscenities. This has to stop. This should be beneath us. This sends the wrong message. Our school, our fans, and our team are not about this.

This has nothing to do with how loud you can be, how much fun you can have, or how wild you can be.

Chanting obscenities has hurt us with referees, has “fired up” the other team and has given television announcers the ammunition to criticize our school on national television.

We always talk to our team about playing TOUGH in big games. I am asking you, our fans, to be TOUGH on Sunday. DO WHAT IS RIGHT.

Thank you,
Gary Williams

I don't go to the men's games, but the fact that anyone felt the need to send this out struck me as a pretty sad commentary on the state of our culture.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/26/08 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You ever get the feeling that St Pat is losing touch with the players? The girls she's getting aren't the same as the ones who came to play 10 or 20 or 30 years ago. She's adjusted to the on court differences just fine, but she seems a little out of it in dealing with them off court.

As for the other, the Wal Mart bags are so 2006. I was hoping the Crazies would have something fresh.

PostPosted: 01/26/08 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

roll-back pri-ces(clap clap clap clap clap).....

Couldn't resist.

~UK~

PostPosted: 01/26/08 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
You ever get the feeling that St Pat is losing touch with the players? The girls she's getting aren't the same as the ones who came to play 10 or 20 or 30 years ago. She's adjusted to the on court differences just fine, but she seems a little out of it in dealing with them off court.

Can't that be said of any coach these days? Kids are different now vs. 10,20,30 years ago. The maturity and skill levels are like day and night.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: