RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Great story in USA Today on Brenda Frese, Maryland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 01/23/08 9:57 am    ::: Great story in USA Today on Brenda Frese, Maryland Reply Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/womensbasketball/2008-01-22-maryland-frese_N.htmhttp://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/womensbasketball/2008-01-22-maryland-frese_N.htm

waterloosunset

PostPosted: 01/23/08 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, that was a nice article, thanks for the link.

Although the footage of her telling the team she was pregnant was pretty fun, the California Trip segment of this week's Under the Shell was really moving to me. I think her telling them she wouldn't be on the plane was the first time it really hit everyone what the pregnancy was going to mean.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 01/23/08 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
Wow, that was a nice article, thanks for the link.

Although the footage of her telling the team she was pregnant was pretty fun, the California Trip segment of this week's Under the Shell was really moving to me. I think her telling them she wouldn't be on the plane was the first time it really hit everyone what the pregnancy was going to mean.

Coach B choking up when she told the team she wouldn't be going to California literally brought tears to my eyes, as did much of this week's segment.

And yes, great article in USA Today. Ditto of thanks to THC for the link.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/23/08 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to confess, I'm a bit worried about Coach Park taking on the ACC's top-tier teams (particularly on-the-road) without Coach B.

I think Coach Park is FABULOUS....don't get me wrong. but I worry about 2 things:

1. that he'll get a head coaching job somewhere else and be gone as early as next season. I don't want him to leave!!! Smile

2. but more immediate...at home games where both coaches are on the bench, there appears to be a symbiotic collaboration between the two of them. against Ga Tech for example, Coach Park was on his feet "directing traffic", but when a substitution was made, Coach B would sit the out-going player next to her, would talk with her, point things out, encourage, etc....things Coach P couldn't do while busy directing the game. the coaches seem to be as much a team as the players are. they're better together than either one is alone....isn't that the very definition of a team? I worry that Brenda's "bench coaching" and everything else she adds to the mix may really be missed by Coach Park and the players this weekend at UNC and later at Cameron and even at Comcast when the time comes that she can no longer make it to home games.

I sure hope I'm worrying for nothing. Confused

UCThreeD

PostPosted: 01/23/08 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I knew there was some unexplainable reason why I like Coach Freese and Maryland despite being a UConn fan: Freese is from Cedar Rapids, IA as is my mom.

Great story, enjoyed reading it very much.

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 01/23/08 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey, I know we want to win them all, but nothing truly matters til March. No win or loss at this point is too big. I'm with you in hoping Coach Park is at Maryland for a long time. As some of us who have been fortunate enough to "hang around" team functions over the years have learned, we have genuinely good people on staff (and on the roster!).

Cedar Rapids, Iowa- must be a midwest thing! I've always heard that people are generally nice/genuine out there. I'll have to check it out one day.

waterloosunset

PostPosted: 01/23/08 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:

Coach B choking up when she told the team she wouldn't be going to California literally brought tears to my eyes

No kidding! The only thing that saved me from sobbing all over my mousepad was Kristi's dry wit:

B: "...I won't be getting on this flight"

KT: "Well, you better be driving then"

I absolutely agree that Maryland is better with both Brenda and Daron than with just Daron, but I'm feeling much safer about it now than I did after, say, the California games. It felt like the wheels came off a bit for those. Much as UVA (no Brenda) was a struggle, so was GT (yes Brenda), so I'm going to attribute the problems to better opposition rather than a missing coaching piece.

I admit that's more on faith than logical certainty at this moment, though.

And on the midwest connection: I grew up in the midwest, too (Indiana and Missouri), though I never felt at home there and got the heck out as soon as I was old enough to run. I've met lots and lots of lovely relocated midwesterners out here, and so I've grown fond of saying that the midwest is an excellent place to be FROM.

Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: