RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

GT @ Maryland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
memphis10

PostPosted: 01/20/08 4:51 pm    ::: GT @ Maryland Reply Reply with quote

Double overtime to win 99-95. The turtles love giving their fans cardiac exercises, huh?!? Laughing

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/20/08 5:09 pm    ::: Re: GT @ Maryland Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
Double overtime to win 99-95. The turtles love giving their fans cardiac exercises, huh?!? Laughing

I think the Maryland coaching staff likes running its starters into the ground. Georgia Tech isn't a bad team by any means, but given their last three ACC games, this is probably a team that a Top 10 squad shouldn't go to double OT at home to defeat.

Mind you, this is a Georgia Tech team that

1. Hasn't defeated a ranked team all year or a team ranked in the RPI Top 50
2. Doesn't have a significant contributor over 6-0
3. Doesn't play with a true PG
4. Starts two freshmen
5. Defeated Miami and NC State by a total of seven points
6. Had four players foul out in today's game

After all this, the Yellow Jackets had several opportunities to win the game!

I can only imagine what would've happened if the game was played in Atlanta rather than College Park. Shocked

Mathies to LA 2013
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/20/08 5:19 pm    ::: Re: GT @ Maryland Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
memphis10 wrote:

I think the Maryland coaching staff likes running its starters into the ground. Georgia Tech isn't a bad team by any means, but given their last three ACC games, this is probably a team that a Top 10 squad shouldn't go to double OT at home to defeat.

Mind you, this is a Georgia Tech team that

1. Hasn't defeated a ranked team all year or a team ranked in the RPI Top 50
2. Doesn't have a significant contributor over 6-0
3. Doesn't play with a true PG
4. Starts two freshmen
5. Defeated Miami and NC State by a total of seven points
6. Had four players foul out in today's game

After all this, the Yellow Jackets had several opportunities to win the game!

I can only imagine what would've happened if the game was played in Atlanta rather than College Park. Shocked

Maybe if the FTs were a little more balanced, GTech might've had a shot. I mean...42 FTs to 12 Shocked . Was GT THAT much more physical?

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/20/08 5:33 pm    ::: Re: GT @ Maryland Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
Maybe if the FTs were a little more balanced, GTech might've had a shot. I mean...42 FTs to 12 Shocked . Was GT THAT much more physical?

Georgia Tech is a very physical team (especially on the perimeter). They pull, push, hack, and hold with the best of them. They're borderline dirty, IMO. That's how they win most of their games--by being more physical and intimidating their opponents. On the other hand, they are also very small inside. I don't think they are equipped to deal with Langhorne or Harper-types, which is why they lose to ranked teams. Having said that, I don't know if they are THAT much more physical than Maryland, though. That is a shocking FT disparity. Then again, I'm not surprised given what happened last Monday.

Mathies to LA 2013
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 01/20/08 7:29 pm    ::: Re: GT @ Maryland Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:

I was at the game and, in a word, YES. They have some good shooters, but most of their game is aggressive hacking, pressing, pushing, bumping, and only a fraction of what they were doing was even called. The FT disparity should have been even greater.

It was a nail-biter of a game for the Terp fans, that's for sure!

BTW, prior to the game, Vicky Bullett presented Crystal Langhorne with the game ball from Friday's away game at UVA in which Lang shattered Vicky's record as Maryland's all-time leading scorer. Vicky is a total class act. Very Happy Very Happy

Houston Head Coach Karleen Thompson was in the house, no doubt scouting Lang and Harp for the 5th pick...

Last edited by CourtsideTix on 01/20/08 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
bullsky

PostPosted: 01/20/08 7:57 pm    ::: Re: GT @ Maryland Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Houston Head Coach Karleen Thompson was in the house, no doubt scouting Lang and Harp for the 5th pick...

Well then she might as well scout Toliver while she's at it. If she doesn't draft a point guard(or trade for one), they are bound for the lottery again.

PostPosted: 01/20/08 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a friend visiting from out of town who wanted to attend the game tonight after hearing me rave so often. I was hoping for an interesting game for him, and I really really REALLY should be careful what I wish for from now on. I feel like I had a serious aerobic workout today just from all that adrenaline and tension. Eeesh.

And yes, much as GT did great offensively (it really felt like they just couldn't miss a thing), their main advantage today was hacking and holding without being called. "Borderline dirty" is a gentle description.

Vicky Bullett is still beautiful and classy. I was very happy to see her again -- I still miss her.

Quote:
Well then she might as well scout Toliver while she's at it.

Today was not Kristi's best game. If she was scouting a point guard and was only looking at today's game, she'd proabably prefer Marissa.

Did anyone get any further news about the fan who had the heart attack?

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 01/20/08 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:

Did anyone get any further news about the fan who had the heart attack?

All that we know is this from the Baltimore Sun:

"Officials said the man was unconscious for roughly two minutes but was revived in an ambulance and rushed to a local hospital."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/womens/bal-terpswomen0120,0,4590245.story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: