RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Baylor at Oklahoma
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KatValeska

PostPosted: 01/20/08 3:50 pm    ::: Baylor at Oklahoma Reply Reply with quote

Anyone else watching this one?

I just tuned in. 38-38 at the half. Reckon I'll root for OU just to get another team w/ a loss in conference.

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 01/20/08 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

7 point lead for Baylor 7.30 left

Has Oklahoma ever won an ESPN game?

PostPosted: 01/20/08 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Loving this post match-up between Wilson and CP.

spikeybedhead

PostPosted: 01/20/08 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oklahoma still looks like it's a 2-guard away from making any noise in the tourney. Robinson will be a star but Plumley looks like an oompa loompa out there.

Can anyone on the team hit 3's?

gpark33

PostPosted: 01/20/08 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless Oklahoma can come up with something quick, the score will not really reflect how close they played this game.

memphis10

PostPosted: 01/20/08 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My ADD has been really happy with me flipping the channel every 2 minutes to watch another game. Maybe OK shouldn't play on ESPN but that would screw them from ever winning a NC.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/20/08 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The lack of defense played by both teams was astounding. The offense wasn't crisp unless you prefer watching teams score off broken plays. Oklahoma really needs to learn how to defend point guards. Angela Tisdale dropped 35 on them? Shocked

The Big 12 might have parity, but that's because there aren't ANY great teams in the conference. This "Top 10" match-up was lacking in luster.

Mathies to LA 2013
spikeybedhead

PostPosted: 01/20/08 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The lack of defense played by both teams was astounding. The offense wasn't crisp unless you prefer watching teams score off broken plays. Oklahoma really needs to learn how to defend point guards. Angela Tisdale dropped 35 on them? Shocked

They made Tisdale looks Cappy-esque.

Plumley needs stilettos. They certainly can't hurt her D.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 01/20/08 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

The Big 12 might have parity, but that's because there aren't ANY great teams in the conference. This "Top 10" match-up was lacking in luster.

Your Big 12 bashing is getting old. I reckon 10 teams in the conference could beat Duke, but as you will.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/20/08 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

spikeybedhead wrote:
They made Tisdale looks Cappy-esque.

Exactly. I'm starting to think I can drop 25 on Oklahoma, and I haven't played competitive ball in YEARS! Laughing But at least I'm taller than Riley and Tisdale. Shocked OU's letting smurfs beat up on them.

Quote:
Plumley needs stilettos. They certainly can't hurt her D.

Laughing At some point, Sherri Coale's going to have to figure out what to do with Plumley. If she's not hitting her threes and/or if the wings aren't running the floor for easy lay-up opportunities, she's a liability.

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/20/08 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KatValeska wrote:
Your Big 12 bashing is getting old. I reckon 10 teams in the conference could beat Duke, but as you will.

There aren't ten teams in the Big 12 that could beat Wake Forest, let alone Duke. Get real, hon.

Mathies to LA 2013
KatValeska

PostPosted: 01/20/08 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
KatValeska wrote:

There aren't ten teams in the Big 12 that could beat Wake Forest, let alone Duke. Get real, hon.

Well, I know that Colorado beat Vanderbilt on the road - something Duke couldn't do, but you keep on keeping it real - hon.

spikeybedhead

PostPosted: 01/20/08 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oklahoma just needs a shooter. Someone like Packer for Ohio State. That player doesn't even need to do anything else other than shoot 40-42% from three. But, I guess, what's new?

Quote:

Laughing At some point, Sherri Coale's going to have to figure out what to do with Plumley. If she's not hitting her threes and/or if the wings aren't running the floor for easy lay-up opportunities, she's a liability.

And the sad part is, I really wanna like Plumley...its just that..she can't guard my living room chair.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/20/08 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KatValeska wrote:
Well, I know that Colorado beat Vanderbilt on the road - something Duke couldn't do, but you keep on keeping it real - hon.

Wake beat Texas A&M, something that Colorado couldn't do. Mind you, this happened on a neutral court--where anything can happen.

Mathies to LA 2013

Last edited by bballfan2005 on 01/20/08 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 01/20/08 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bottom line, Oklahoma just continues to lose these big games. At some point they have to step it up.

PostPosted: 01/20/08 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

spikeybedhead wrote:
Oklahoma just needs a shooter. Someone like Packer for Ohio State. That player doesn't even need to do anything else other than shoot 40-42% from three. But, I guess, what's new?

A Packer-type would help, but she'd still give up points because she can't D up, either.

Oklahoma needs a Hornbuckle or Wiggins type--a tall guard who can play D and shoot threes. I think you're absolutely right. They need a good two and need to defend the one better.

Quote:
And the sad part is, I really wanna like Plumley...its just that..she can't guard my living room chair.

I agree. They are giving up way too many points at that position.

Mathies to LA 2013
mikeyc22

PostPosted: 01/20/08 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that the Big XII isn't all that amazing.

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/20/08 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
I agree that the Big XII isn't all that amazing.

But what some people are forgetting is that the Big XII is an extremely young team(outside of A&M). I think that's why we're seeing so much inconsistency among the teams.

With young teams, you either fly to the top (Maryland 2006) or crash and burn (Michigan State 07/0Cool.

I think what makes the Big XII intriguing, during a year of inconsistency(lots of changes within the top 25), is that the Big XII has the most teams that can play up to a high level, even though they may play extremely sluggish at times. Bottom line- don't overlook any Big XII team because it could bite you in the ass.

That's my view on it all.

PostPosted: 01/21/08 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had a bad feeling about this game all week. Panned out just about like I thought it would. And it just gags me, because I'd rather OU lose to ANYONE other than Baylor. Krayzee Kimmie was back to her ranting, raving fits of old, and sported another ghastly get-up. My friend sat near Baylor's bench, and said every time Kim squatted down, you could see her butt crack. Nice, Kim. But I will say, she has her team in better shape than Coach Coale does the Sooners. My friend and I argued over what hurt the Sooners more - their bad offense, or their bad defense. It was a toss-up.

Tisdale played a terrific game. And I mean no disrespect when I say she needs to thank the Sooners for helping her out by standing around on defense. Because they did plenty of that. But Tisdale lead her team well, scored beautifully, and made very few mistakes.

Rachel Allison hit some pretty shots. But she's been my most-loathed Big 12 player for several seasons now for good reason - she's a dirty player. And she's a whiner, to boot! I hope the tv cameras got a good shot of her laying on her back and kicking after a call went against her. I guess she paid attention when Kimmie did the same thing in Norman a few years back.

CP got her 76th CONSECUTIVE double-double with a season-high 28 points, along with 12 rebounds. But Baylor defended her well in the second half. I think CP's burdened. I think she not only has the responsibility of carrying OU's offense on her back. Now, as one of 3 juniors, the oldest players on the team, she has to be a team leader, too, motivating, directing traffic, having to ask for the ball, and sometimes giving an erring teammate a talking-to. That's a lot to have on your plate. It's doubly amazing she's as consistent as she is.

And let's talk about OU's PGs for a minute. Last season, Jenna Plumley was a very promising young PG - a pretty good scorer with a terrific 3-point shot, a pest on defense - a swaggering, fearless little floor general. She lead a team of mostly-seniors very well. Now that OU has Danielle Robinson, Jenna's role has changed. She's sharing PG duties with Danielle, and is playing out of her best position much of the time. I think this has made Jenna uncertain and uncomfortable on both ends of the court. And the team has suffered for that. Meanwhile, Danielle (who apparently took Erin Higgins' place as Coach Coale's Golden Child) is allowed to hog the ball, not try to pass till she's in trouble, and to take bad shots on the fast break instead of pulling the ball out, waiting for her teammates, and then running the offense.

Coach Coale acts annoyed and frustrated with her team. And she should be. But I think she needs to be annoyed with herself, too. It's unacceptable for the Sooners to look this disorganized and uncertain this late in the season. I can accept that they're young, and that young players make more mistakes. But the team should at least look like they know what they're doing, even if they're not consistent about doing it.

Thanks for letting me rant, y'all. I don't know what I'm talking about, but it still feels good to say it.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 01/21/08 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Sherri is a good recruiter and motivator, but not as good at X and Os, or developing talent.

BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 01/21/08 3:41 pm    ::: Baylor@Oklahoma Reply Reply with quote

Tag3 made good points regarding Plumley. However, the problem for Jenna is that Robinson is a better PG package as she can penetrate & defend. Plumley can score via 3's but has trouble defending. I saw Robinson in high school and predicted she would force Plumley to the wing. Coale's problem is find find a productive 2G, be it Plumley, one of the bench players or a new recruit.

As to Tisdale, she made some tough shots vs OU. My guess is she will be a second round WNBA pick in the PG-starved WNBA.

As to the game, I thought it was good tv as are many of the B12 games.

As to the Big 12, it has parity but not mega-strength at the top. Baylor & Oklahoma would likely be 3-4th in the SEC (bit down this year). On the other hand, the bottom of the B12 (KS, MO & ISU to pick out three of the tied) appears stronger than the bottom of the SEC.

tennis2

PostPosted: 01/21/08 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
I think Sherri is a good recruiter and motivator, but not as good at X and Os, or developing talent.

Exactly what I said last year and am still saying. She also is terrible at picking any associate coach to supplement what she is lacking.

She needs to try and get Craig Wiggins, a graduate of Oklahoma and a past coach of SNU who left or was fired over a scandel . He then went to Missouri but I never saw him participating in the games. I believe he might now be ready to return to coaching the way he did.

If not, she needs to get someone to volunteer to come in for a few days to help the team out.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/21/08 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I don't understand about Sherri Coale's recruiting, however, is she hasn't recruited guards that play the way the Paris twins do. The Paris twins can't exactly play a run & gun style, they just don't have the speed to do that. Because of this, they need to play in a half-court offense that emphasizes their abilities at the 4/5. Problem is, Sherri Coale has recruited players (Thompson/Stevenson/Robinson) who seem to want to push pace beyond what the twins are capable of and are weak perimeter shooters, which makes Oklahoma weak, as the twins aren't being focused on or they are getting covered in the middle because teams know OU can't hit from outside.

It would be one thing if the above-mentioned three players were playing with centers & forwards such as Tina Charles or Candace Parker, but they're not. It seems to me that Robinson (esp. as she is sharing PG duties) needs to realize that the twins can't exactly keep up with her and that it's not a good idea to go full speed when you are outmatched 3-1 on a fastbreak.

Perimeter shooting and perimeter defense were glaringly obvious weaknesses of the Sooners yesterday. Baylor was just daring OU to shoot from outside yesterday, and Tisdale was able to get into the lane at will. I don't know how many times she blew by the OU guards to either drive & dish or score an easy deuce. Tisdale is a decently talented player, but she shouldn't have lit up the Sooners for 35.

Until OU gets a player that is taller on the perimeter that can shoot well from outside, can defend, and is athletic, they will continue to have difficulty with any team that has talent at the guard and wing positions.

Sooner fans...is there anyone coming to OU that is supposed to help with the problem on the outside? There's only one year left of the Paris twins...

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 01/21/08 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
KatValeska wrote:

It could be worse....either one of you could be fans of the Big Ten this year.....it doesn't get much worse than that!!!!!! Laughing

PostPosted: 01/21/08 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The Paris twins can't exactly play a run & gun style, they just don't have the speed to do that. Because of this, they need to play in a half-court offense that emphasizes their abilities at the 4/5. Problem is, Sherri Coale has recruited players (Thompson/Stevenson/Robinson) who seem to want to push pace beyond what the twins are capable of and are weak perimeter shooters, which makes Oklahoma weak, as the twins aren't being focused on or they are getting covered in the middle because teams know OU can't hit from outside.

I have to disagree with you about Thompson. As great as the twins are, they aren't very athletic. I don't even know if they possess verticals. They need someone like Thompson to bring some kind of speed/athleticism at the three spot.

In fact, the OU teams since the coming of the Paris sisters have reminded me of Foster's Vanderbilt/OSU teams. Slow and plodding with great centers and usually one liliputian-sized guard who runs around out of control and occasionally make 3s. (Mcelheiney/C. Anderson, Hoskins/Davenport, Plumley/C.Paris)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: