RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Colorado @ K-State

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unkiemark

PostPosted: 01/18/08 10:20 pm    ::: Colorado @ K-State Reply Reply with quote

Prior to the beginning of conference play I thought this game was a very winnable one for the Buffs. Now it appears that the Buffs will have a very difficult time getting their second win as they are going against one of the hottest teams in the Big 12. Not that I don't think CU can win, I just believe that it will take a special effort, especially mentally, to get the job done.

One of the key factors I see will be whether or not the Buffs can use their size advantage inside. And at the same time they will have to be very aware defensively of K-State's 3-point prowess.

The game will be televised live on Fox Sports Midwest and Rocky Mountain at 6 pm MST.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=1370883

http://www.kstatesports.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=400&ATCLID=1370726

PostPosted: 01/19/08 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From this morning's BDC on tonight's game. In the article Kathy states the following:

"(Dietz) is the type of kid we need to really be concerned with because they are the ones that are dangerous to us," McConnell-Miller said. "You don't see people schooling us on the block or driving on us, you see people drain 3s on us. That's our Achilles' heel."

The full article is at:

http://www.buffzone.com/news/2008/jan/19/cu-vs-ksu-6-pm-fsn-cu-women-buffs-aim-to-halt-at/

PostPosted: 01/19/08 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't see Colorado recovering from an 1-3 start in the league. Given the above quote from KMM is fairly accurate, losing to ISU at home was somewhat understandable. That said, the loss to A&M was, to be blunt, choking at its worst, and returning to the losing mindsset of recent years at best.

The othercats have been the biggest surprise of the B12 to date. Indeed, Colorado's perimeter defense has to improve dramatically tonight. Additionally, CU has to dominate in the paint as well as rediscover its outside shooting which has gone south the past few games.

The Buffs also need to start getting some points from point guard Susie Powers, and forward Aija Putnina needs to quit missing open looks inside.

Dietz always has a big game against CU, but it is Lehning that really scares me.

Go Buffs!

KatValeska

PostPosted: 01/19/08 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Othercat coach Deb Patterson just got bowled over after an othercat player pulled down a Buff near the KSU bench. I don't recall seeing anything like that before.

CU up 10-6 at the 14:30 mark of the first half. In the past six years CU would have been down by 15 already, but this ain't the same ol' Buffs.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 01/19/08 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, CU imploding in the final minute of a half is kinda some ol' Buffs.

35-31 KSU at the half.

CU is something like 1-of-12 from deep. Luckily, the othercats aren't playing very well on the offensive end.

13 points for McFarland , but also 3 personals.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 01/19/08 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game over with 3 minutes to play. KSU played smart basketball and CU - I've no idea what they've been doing this half.

No post season once again for the Buffs - well, maybe WNIT - too bad for McFarland - she deserves better.

BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 01/19/08 10:27 pm    ::: Col@KState Reply Reply with quote

I think root of Buffs problem is lackluster PG play of Powers. I really like Spears long term. I think she has a real chance to be drafted in WNBA 2011. I thought the half trap idea worked pretty well. It kept Lehning from running wild. If I were advising Bufs, I would play some combination defense next time. Bufs allowed too many penetrations by Cats. Lehning had close to a triple double. She is an amazing rebounder for her lack of size. If she could shoot outside or defend, she would have a chance to play in the WNBA. Unfortunately, she can do neither. Regardless, she is a fine college point guard with excellent leadership and penetration with left or right hand.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/20/08 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

turnovers, 17-6.

everything else was close, except CU won the board battle, 40-27.

PostPosted: 01/20/08 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fans fill that place dont they?

Spears is very good...

Lehning is fun to watch. Tough cookie, and seems to be a great leader.

PostPosted: 01/20/08 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nah, I don't think I would blame Powers for this loss. For crying out loud, she leads the conference in assist to turnover ratio, albeit, she did probably have her poorest game of the season. I don't think CU would be better off with Houston or Blythe at the point right now.

Ceal Barry said Spears might well be the best basketball player Colorado has ever landed. I concur. Still, she took several bad shots yesterday.

Having had time to digest the loss, I'd blame it on a failure to adjust to the othercats penetration and an inability to get the ball inside to McFarland in the second half - and clearly KSU's defense had a lot to do with that. And indeed, the turnover disparity didn't help.

Anyhow, there is still hope. If the Buffs can win out their remaining home games and steal one more road win ...

unkiemark

PostPosted: 01/20/08 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As someone pointed out on HoopScoop.net, seven Big 12 teams are 1-3 right now! CU can still finish high in the conference and make the NCAA tourney.

Obviously the Buffs have some issues to deal with, but they aren't due to having less talent than the teams they've lost to in conference play. They do need to overcome some mental breakdowns. There is the painful lack of defense against the trey at critical moments of a game. And there is the lack of consistent scoring from the guards. These two issues are a big part of the implosions suffered in the final 10 minutes of a game. But I don't believe either of these issues is insurmountable.

From this morning's BDC on last night's game:

http://www.buffzone.com/news/2008/jan/20/cu-women-lose-third-straight-rough-road-for-cu/

From the Manhattan Mercury:

http://www.themercury.com/k-statesports/article.aspx?articleId=6b0904916d474dc29ae45845990f982e[/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: