RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Battle of the Bay-Cal v. Stanford
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 01/16/08 8:10 pm    ::: Battle of the Bay-Cal v. Stanford Reply Reply with quote

[/img][/code]

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/16/08 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's pretty awesome! During their podcast, Beth and Debbie got a chance to speak with Joanne regarding Cal's rise to national prominence. Debbie has said for a while now (since October, I believe) that Cal, not Stanford, is the team to beat in the Pac-10 this season and that Hampton, not Wiggins is the Pac-10 POY. If Cal can come away with at least a split in this series, then I'd have to agree.

Mathies to LA 2013
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 01/16/08 8:28 pm    ::: It's all good... Reply Reply with quote

Finally having a rivalry (like the one in football) is a great thing for the Bay Area and the Pac-10.....for so long, California was the doormat and now it's competitive. The fans are buying into it, the players, etc....it will pay dividends for both programs and their relative success in the post-season....

I was given this by someone in the athletic dept....it's a joint effort by the two schools to take advantage of the rivalry in a good way that's fun for everyone....the posters will be available at both games from what I understand....great collector's item. Very Happy

memphis10

PostPosted: 01/16/08 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sweet!

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 01/16/08 8:37 pm    ::: First college wbb game was Stanford v Cal Reply Reply with quote

so that's is where the "historic" comes in.....

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 01/16/08 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
That's pretty awesome! During their podcast, Beth and Debbie got a chance to speak with Joanne regarding Cal's rise to national prominence. Debbie has said for a while now (since October, I believe) that Cal, not Stanford, is the team to beat in the Pac-10 this season and that Hampton, not Wiggins is the Pac-10 POY. If Cal can come away with at least a split in this series, then I'd have to agree.

well, how much has Debbie seen both teams play? I'd pick Walker as Cal's rep for POY over Hampton. I think it's between Wiggins and Walker (for now).

Cal won on the road in LA, but lost at Baylor and RU so they need to prove themselves on the road. I think they can beat ASU, IF they stay out of foul trouble. Watch out for Ariz, Stanford and Cal shouldn't overlook them.

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/16/08 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is great for women's basketball, especially for that area.

PostPosted: 01/16/08 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that Walker is probably Cal's lead for POY at the moment.....Dev has been slower to get up to speed (like last year) due to knee surgery (like last year) but she may still rev up a few notches...

That being said, I would love to see Walker get some recognition. She's an amazing athlete who makes it happen, game in, game out.....she's also a great person.

Yeah, Arizona is starting to come together after a very rocky start so no taking anyone for granted. The fans in AZ are a passionate bunch, so anything could happen.

FS02

PostPosted: 01/16/08 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't wait to see these two go at it! I would definitely say a split is the most likely outcome. Wink

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/16/08 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
well, how much has Debbie seen both teams play?

Probably more than you have. Debbie's not the brightest bulb in the socket, but she does do her homework. I can count the number of commentators on one hand who do more homework for their broadcasts than Debbie Antonelli--Charlene Curtis and Doris Burke.

hoopfan24 wrote:
I'd pick Walker as Cal's rep for POY over Hampton. I think it's between Wiggins and Walker (for now).

I would like to point out that Debbie said this during the PRESEASON. I'm sure she's aware of Walker's performances, seeing as how she mentioned Walker's numbers to Joanne B. during the recent podcast.

Besides, it's only about a month into Pac-10 play. The POY race hasn't even begun to take shape yet.

hoopfan24 wrote:
Cal won on the road in LA, but lost at Baylor and RU so they need to prove themselves on the road.

How do you figure? Cal is undefeated in Pac-10 play, and not all of their games have been played in Haas. Losing to Baylor (regardless of how overrated they are) and RU on the road isn't exactly like losing to UCLA and USC on the road. At least RU and Baylor appear to be locks for the NCAA Tournament. Can't say the same for UCLA and USC.

hoopfan24 wrote:
I think they can beat ASU, IF they stay out of foul trouble.

Agreed, but I think a lot more has to go right for ASU if the Sun Devils want to win that game.

hoopfan24 wrote:
Watch out for Ariz, Stanford and Cal shouldn't overlook them.

I don't think it's Cal who needs that reminder.

Mathies to LA 2013
hoopfan24

PostPosted: 01/16/08 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uh no, I am Stanford season ticket holder for 20 yrs, who happens to live 3 miles from UC Berkeley. I haven't missed a Stanford home game and I've seen Cal many times in person and on TV. I know about both teams more than Debbie ever will. Debbie knows Joanne from covering the ACC so she probably has more of personal interest than bball knowledge.

one third of the conf has been played, Walker and Wiggins are clearly the leaders, I don't see that changing.

I know Cal hasn't played all games at Haas, I wasn't talking about pac 10 games, but ALL games on the road. I am aware of how damaging losing to the LA schools, but it wasn't ike Cal beat either LA school handedly. they both went down to the wire. Winning AT ASU will be much tougher.

I KNOW Stanford doesn't need that reminder about overlooking Ariz. We play them tomorrow.

kbailey3131

PostPosted: 01/17/08 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That poster is fantastic! And the fact that the schools are building this up is great! I did get the sense by the way it was being pitched during the Stanford Oregon game on Saturday that there was a little different push behind the marketing this year.

I'd have to agree that the race is right now between Wiggins and Walker...I haven't seen Cal in person since Hampton's return to the lineup but I don't see how Hampton can overtake Walker in the conversation in terms of the two player race piece either at this point in Pac-10 play. Has Hampton even been back a full month of play yet?

I love Antonelli, but I'm scratching my head on that pronoucement. I also have been curious as to why Mowins and Antonelli are handling the podcasts - Mary Murphy is the resident Pac-10 expert (despite her drift to the Big-10 network) and Tracy Warren has just stepped in to do some of the tv coverage as well.

If Hampton begins to get her legs back and plays well enough to overtake Walker's impact on the Pac and on Cal's lineup, you will not have to make suggestions that Cal not sleep on [insert name of Pac-10 state or region here], Cal will be devastating.

I also don't think Stanford/Cal will be treading lightly in AZ either. The race is about to be on....

gopher5

PostPosted: 01/17/08 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kbailey3131 wrote:

I love Antonelli, but I'm scratching my head on that pronoucement. I also have been curious as to why Mowins and Antonelli are handling the podcasts - Mary Murphy is the resident Pac-10 expert (despite her drift to the Big-10 network) and Tracy Warren has just stepped in to do some of the tv coverage as well.

The podcast is from the WBCA and covers all of wcbb, not just the Pac-10.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/17/08 5:33 pm    ::: Re: Battle of the Bay-Cal v. Stanford Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:

I just LOVE this poster!!!! Thanks for sharing it.

kage

PostPosted: 01/20/08 3:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very Happy

Now that the Arizona schools are done (until the next time they come around), Cal is 8-0 in Pac10 play, no?

Anyone psyched about this?

How are people planning to get down to Stanford for the game? Wondering if anyone got tips for someone who doesn't have a car; any way to get down there using a combination of BART and buses?
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 01/20/08 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you live near Berkeley there's a bus going from Cal.....I think it's only 15 dollars (and that includes ticket to the game)....you should check that out......otherwise post on the fan board at bearinsider for a ride maybe???

here's the info:

Dear Triple Threat,

Thank you to those of you who have requested a bus to Stanford. We are
pleased to announce that we are able to make that happen. The logistics are
as follows:

1) We will provide snacks and drinks on the bus. For those interested in a
general admission ticket, the fee to ride the bus will be $15 (includes
ticket). For those wishing to only ride the bus, the fee will be $10 (no
ticket).

2) A firm RSVP is necessary to hold your space and any guests you wish to
bring (this invitation will be sent to other groups). Please RSVP to Angela
at aniles@berkeley.edu. You will need a check (made out to UC Regents) or
cash and a completed waiver before boarding the bus. The waiver may be
downloaded at
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/cal/genrel/auto_pdf/WBBWaiver.pdf.

3) A sign up sheet and waivers will be available in the club room before the
Oregon and Oregon St. games. You may turn in the waiver and your fee for
the bus or bus/game ticket at that time.

4) The bus will board at the back of Haas at 12:00 pm and will leave
Stanford 20 minutes after the game is over. Please arrive prior to 12:00 if
you have not turned in a waiver and fee.

We look forward to a huge Bear turnout in Maples!

Thank you,

Angela Niles
University of California, Berkeley
Assistant Director of Women's Basketball Operations
129 Haas Pavilion
Berkeley, CA 94720

(510) 642-9448 (voice)
(510) 643-5021 (fax)

kage

PostPosted: 01/20/08 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey, thanks! This is great. Smile I'll send an e-mail to her then. Haas Auditorium, right?
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 01/20/08 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:
Hey, thanks! This is great. Smile I'll send an e-mail to her then. Haas Auditorium, right?

Yep, the same place they play bball....I guess it's officially "Haas Pavilion"....

kage

PostPosted: 01/20/08 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
kage wrote:

Yep, the same place they play bball....I guess it's officially "Haas Pavilion"....

Er. Yeah. Brain fart. Haas Auditorium is probably Anderson Auditorium over at the Haas business school.

^^;;;
memphis10

PostPosted: 01/26/08 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BUMP!

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 01/26/08 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
BUMP!

Good job. Wondered when this was coming back up... almost game time!

thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 01/26/08 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Awww, what happened to Hampton's hair? Crying or Very sad I kinda liked the two-toned look she had going on. It was unique and made it easy for me to spot her on the court LOL. Looks like she's picked up a couple pounds too...

This is my first time seeing Cal this season.

9-3 Stanford early.

- Diana Taurasi
LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 01/26/08 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thatGAgirl wrote:
Awww, what happened to Hampton's hair? Crying or Very sad I kinda liked the two-toned look she had going on. It was unique and made it easy for me to spot her on the court LOL.

No longer unique enough for her. Nobody likes a copy cat! Razz

memphis10

PostPosted: 01/26/08 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Cruella look needed to go any way. Speaking of a new weave, Candice honey it's time to go back to the Swap Meet store. Cal flat like they traveled across the country and not the bay.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
bullsky

PostPosted: 01/26/08 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looks like there are 7 Stanford players out there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: