RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Unusual Triple-Double

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 02/09/08 11:22 pm    ::: Unusual Triple-Double Reply Reply with quote

...for San Diego senior Amando Rego, who collected 10 points, 10 assists and 10 steals in the Toreros' 67-48 victory over San Francisco on Saturday afternoon.

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/020908aaa.html

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/09/08 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That girl can play. Love her game! Hope WNBA teams were watching!

PostPosted: 02/10/08 12:19 am    ::: Rego Reply Reply with quote

I saw Rego play within the last week on tv. She can pass the eyes out of the ball and has a decent A/TO ratio of 182/103. I think the pros will like her size and creativity but she is a poor shooter (36.7% overall with 13.3% for 3's). Defense also needs work. Still it is another mediocre year of point guard prospects. Given that she has the creative gift, she may well get drafted in spite of shortcomings! She is kind of an unpolished Ticha Penicheiro.

Has anyone seen the kid from Portland State who ranks ahead of her in assists?

cattekin

PostPosted: 02/10/08 7:03 am    ::: Re: Rego Reply Reply with quote

BobScoutingReport wrote:
She is kind of an unpolished Ticha Penicheiro.

I wrote last Sept. 24:

My early pick for West Coast Conference player of the year is San Diego point guard Amanda Rego, who led the nation in assists last year, and was in front of a Toreros team that won 21 games.

I could go on at length about Rego's court vision, her ability to make passes that no one else can make, while her teammates love playing with her, but it seemed surprisingly difficult to get San Diego coach Cindy Fisher to say anything similarly enthusiastic about her lead guard.

Perhaps that's because Fisher was an assistant at Old Dominion during the Ticha Penicheiro years. OD was 92-8 during Fisher's stint, and made one trip to the NCAA final. Penicheiro went on to become the leading assister in WNBA history. As good as Amanda Rego is, she's following Ticha Penicheiro.

Fisher sees some similarities between the two: "They both have an advantage in size, and see the floor incredibly well, at the highest levels. They both move the same way; the way they guard and the way they pass."

cattekin

PostPosted: 02/10/08 7:33 am    ::: Re: Unusual Triple-Double Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
[Unusual triple] ...for San Diego senior Amando Rego, who collected 10 points, 10 assists and 10 steals in the Toreros' 67-48 victory over San Francisco on Saturday afternoon.

Rego's as likely as anyone to make a quad with points, rebounds, assists, and steals.

Last season against Holy Cross, she recorded 9 points, 7 rebounds, 13 assists, and 10 steals.

cattekin

PostPosted: 02/10/08 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Hope WNBA teams were watching!

On 5/8/07, I asked "how many triple doubles -- or 4 x 8s -- will Amanda Rego have to record for the University of San Diego to make a WNBA team notice?"

If Amanda Rego were to make an WNBA roster, my allegiance goes to that team without hesitation, but there isn't much precedent. The only WCC player in the league is Jennifer Lacy, and last season's conference co-player of the year -- Gonzaga's Stephanie Hawk shared the award with Rego -- was neither drafted nor invited to a training camp.

If by some quirk of fate Rego wound up in Italy playing with Brooke Smith, I'd move.

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/10/08 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing about Rego is that I think her offense is there, but she's just not confident and feels she needs to look pass first. That can be good and bad. But I definitely see her as being capable of putting up good offensive numbers. Look at what she did against Texas.

PostPosted: 02/10/08 11:35 am    ::: Rego Reply Reply with quote

After some quick checking, I suspect Rego is on the WNBA board. My guess is she will be drafted in the second to third round unless she gets invited to the combine and makes a big splash. In the WNBA it appears most GM's are unwilling to gamble on players from the smaller conferences or JUCO as first rounders. Ashley Shields taken by Houston last year was a recent exception.

Rego's problem is that being like Penicheiro does not make her as good as Penicheiro. Don't forget Ticha has over the years been criticized for her lack of shooting ability. Amanda has that plus the D issue and the left hand still could be stronger. The question always is ""Can she get better?" Most don't in any significant way after college as they look to move on in life. Some do however.

cattekin

PostPosted: 02/11/08 5:00 am    ::: Re: Rego Reply Reply with quote

BobScoutingReport wrote:
Amanda has that plus the D issue and the left hand still could be stronger.

Left hand could be what?

Besides Rego's being a lefthander who prefers going to her right, huh?

BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 02/12/08 12:04 am    ::: Rego's left hand Reply Reply with quote

I watched the second half only. During that time Rego never shot the ball. Before the game, I didn't even know she existed. It appeared that she dribbled primarily with her right hand during that half. Generally, a player will dribble better with her shooting hand but that is not always the case. In the half she seemed more confident with ball in the right hand.

Regardless, from what I can gather she has a good shot at being drafted in the third round. However, her poor shooting percentages (from 2 & 3) will be held against her. She will need to be drafted by the right team to make a roster. I agree that she is a fun player to watch and understand why you are pulling for her to make the WNBA!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: