RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Storm make a move

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 06/01/05 1:48 pm    ::: Storm make a move Reply Reply with quote

The Seattle Storm changed the status of Natalia Vodopyanova to Active and the status of Ashley Battle to Injured

Most people hate poetry
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 06/01/05 1:51 pm    ::: Re: Storm make a move Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Seattle Storm changed the status of Natalia Vodopyanova to Active and the status of Ashley Battle to Injured

Movin' on up! To the East Side!

inky

PostPosted: 06/01/05 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Storm had an open practice for STH this weekend. Vodo played - she looked strong, quick and powerful. At the Q & A after, she was asked about her "injury." She had no idea what to say until Sue Bird told her to say "knee." The team, except for the coaching staff, had an excellent laugh over it.

Her injury was showing up just two weeks ago and not knowing the system.

threefrom60

PostPosted: 06/01/05 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really hope this doesn't mean Battle gets cut when Suzy gets here. I would rather see Chelle get cut than AB. I know that, right now, in their development, Thompson is much farther along than Battle. And I know also that Donovan and Thompson go a long ways back and friends, but I'm thinking more about the future. In two years, I'd much rather have Ashley Battle on this roster than Alicia Thompson. I guess the problem is, it's Battle and Wright that are fighting for the last spot, not Battle and Thompson. Wright certainly hasn't showed any more potential during the games than Battle has, but the coaching staff must see something in practice, because it seems like Wright's spot is more secure than Battle's.

Shed

PostPosted: 06/01/05 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threefrom60 wrote:
I really hope this doesn't mean Battle gets cut when Suzy gets here.

I believe Suzy was due to fly in today.

"If Seattle decides to sit Wright, Little and Stricklen for the majority of the season for stuffy noses, ingrown toenails and acid reflux you can start talking about shams." psheehy
Keegan

PostPosted: 06/01/05 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shed wrote:

Excellent.

As for Battle, I don't think her offense will ever be good enough for her to be more than an end-of-bench utility player. Usual disclaimer applies.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/01/05 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Shed wrote:

Excellent.

As for Battle, I don't think her offense will ever be good enough for her to be more than an end-of-bench utility player. Usual disclaimer applies.

I've seen Battle perform extremely well on the offensive end..she seems to have a lot of potential , just is very very inconsistant..IMO, her defense should be enough to get her on to a team, and to be a solid role player...Like for instance, in the upcoming Phoenix game, I would have Battle guard Taurasi for a majority of the game. She knows Taurasi's game better than just about anyone, and she's a great defensive player, (heck the only person I would put on Taurasi over Battle would be Beard, and that wasn't exactly an option for AD)..As you can see I like Battle quite a bit, and I really hope she doesn't get cut...But I'm truly not being biased when I say I've watched her play for four years, and I know she can be a great assest to a team. She's a great athlete, great at defense, and adds a lot of energy to the team when she is in a game....

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/01/05 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I've seen Battle perform extremely well on the offensive end..she seems to have a lot of potential , just is very very inconsistant.

Battle couldn't average double digits in college...even on this year's UConn team, where she had multiple opportunities. I don't see her suddenly developing consistency out of nowhere.

Like I have always maintained...Battle reminds of Stacey Thomas.

threefrom60

PostPosted: 06/01/05 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aw geez thanks, now I have to think about how much I wish AB could be active tomorrow to play defense on Diana! I'm not even sure it would ever happen if she was on the active roster. We all know how Coach Donovan feels about rookies. But I bet it really bummed Ashley out to be put on the IR the day before the game against her old teammate. She would know Diana's game very well... Although so does Birdy, and I guess we'll find out tomorrow how that goes. Though now my curiousity is piqued on the Battle guarding Taurasi scenario of the future (whether AB plays for the Storm or someone else). This is purely a defensive spark thing I'm thinking of anyway. I've watched pleeeenty enough UCONN games to know she'll never be an offensive threat. Still wish there were enough roster spots to keep her.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/01/05 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
I've seen Battle perform extremely well on the offensive end..she seems to have a lot of potential , just is very very inconsistant.

Battle couldn't average double digits in college...even on this year's UConn team, where she had multiple opportunities. I don't see her suddenly developing consistency out of nowhere.

Like I have always maintained...Battle reminds of Stacey Thomas.

Which is were the very inconsistent thing comes from..sometimes she can shoot incredibly well, score 22 (didn't she have that type of game at draft camp??) but then the next game she'll score 0, and miss all her layups..There is potential there, but I doubt she'll ever be consistent, But with Battle, I think the positives outway the negatives in terms of what she brings to a team. I just like her too much, I really don't want her to get cut, especially when I think she could have made some other teams, and could have had a bit more playing time, and when quite honestly Thompson doesn't seem like she's much better, and when watching the five bench players play (I forget which game, but I think it was against the Comets) Battle played as well or better than any of the other bench players...I guess I can't help it, I like her a lot and always have..

Keegan

PostPosted: 06/01/05 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thompson is a better bench spark than Battle. She did some good things in 5-7 minute spurts in last year's playoffs (key baskets, defensive plays). Battle is cheaper but that's her only advantage at the moment.
threefrom60

PostPosted: 06/01/05 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, you're right Keegan, I'm just being a UCONN lover... it's a disease, you know? After awhile it affects your vision and you see a better basketball player than is really in front of your eyes. Hey, at least I admit it. Wink At least I trust Coach Donovan to make the right decision, so I'll get over it if and when Ashley gets cut.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/01/05 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threefrom60 wrote:
I mean, you're right Keegan, I'm just being a UCONN lover... it's a disease, you know? After awhile it affects your vision and you see a better basketball player than is really in front of your eyes. Hey, at least I admit it. Wink At least I trust Coach Donovan to make the right decision, so I'll get over it if and when Ashley gets cut.

LOL, I might get over it Wink

dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/02/05 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What REALLY sucks about this transaction is, if I'm not mistaken, Seattle comes to CT in the next 3 games which means AB won't be dressed for the game. Sad

threefrom60

PostPosted: 06/02/05 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aww man, it just gets worse and worse. It's like how every time the Monarchs came to Seattle last year, Guiliana Mendiola was on the IR, and then this year she was cut right before they came in the preseason. UW Husky fans never got to show her much love in the W.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: