RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stringer says she's sorry for ripping Thomas' comments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCBG25

PostPosted: 10/29/07 11:26 am    ::: Stringer says she's sorry for ripping Thomas' comments Reply Reply with quote

It's like the RU peeps can't help getting involved in controversial stuff... Laughing

Quote:
Stringer's statement came a day after an ESPN interview that drew a strong response from Thomas. Talking to ESPN reporter Doris Burke about Thomas' comments in the videotaped deposition, Stringer said: "You want to know what I really felt? It was disgusting. What does he think? This was a woman first. He has no right to put her down, and then think it's OK for me to put her down but it's not all right for a white man to put her down. What are you talking about? She is a human being and as a female, and in particular as a black female, I took tremendous offense to that."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3083121

PostPosted: 10/29/07 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish C. Viv would have just not commented on this in the first place.

tangle3156

PostPosted: 10/29/07 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's a drama queen........she couldn't help but offer up her "two cents".
Not the first time she's reacted before knowing all the facts.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 10/29/07 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doris (or whoever) shouldn't have asked her about that, she's a College coach not and NBA Coach. Let her stick to what she knows best, she could have also declined to answer but neither happened so it should be over with now.

PostPosted: 10/29/07 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How is her reacting with half the story any different than everyone else who did the same once the deposition got out? When you hear half the story without context AS WE ALL DID, yeah, he was dead ass wrong and his comments were disgusting. Are we all drama queens?

I hate Isiah with a passion, but when you read the ENTIRE thing and not the chopped up version from Anucha's lawyers, his comments actually were taken out of context. I don't see ESPN, NBC, ABC, CBS, the Post, Daily News, NY Times or Newsday apologizing for running with the story for the last month on front pages and as lead-ins, looping the tape ad nauseum.

Rev. Al hasn't apologized and neither has anyone else who jumped on the story, from the media to fans. I give Stringer credit for acknowledging her mistake. She's one of about thousands who needed to do so. And no, she shouldn't have commented on it, but the question never should have been asked just like the story never should have been ran with without the whole story. But of course, the media just loves to appoint certain people as the "voice of race and gender issues" these days. Hell, Rev. Al already forgot about his "boycott" and is on to his next race baiting agenda.

Isiah's lawyers need to apologize to him for not objecting to the spliced version in the first place. Rolling Eyes
beknighted

PostPosted: 10/29/07 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will admit that I'm not going to read the whole transcript, largely because I'm not that interested in Mr. Thomas. However, what I saw in the press during the trial was that Thomas was quoted initially as saying it was okay to use the "b" word for black women and then it was clarified as him saying that it wasn't okay, but that it was less bad when used by black men about black women. If that's what we're talking about, then in my view it goes from about an 8 on the offensiveness scale to, oh, a 5, but it still seems offensive. If, on the other hand, there's other context (like that he's saying that's what some other people think), then I might have a different view.

Either way, I wish CVS hadn't talked about it without all the facts. I'm not sure that I agree the question was inappropriate, though, given the Imus thing and the discussion at the time about attitudes towards women in general and black women in particular.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: