RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Brooklyn Pope

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 10/22/07 9:12 pm    ::: Brooklyn Pope Reply Reply with quote

There are a couple of reports on the RU board that Brooklyn Pope has verballed to the Scarlet Knights. They come from HoopGurlz and the Texas HS Rivals board.

Here's a link: Brooklyn to Piscataway

YourCrimsonNightmare

PostPosted: 10/23/07 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please note that as of this moment this is an unconfirmed report of a verbal commitment.

Thus far no one has been able to ascertain any corroborating evidence that the rumor is true, in spite of one claim and one unconfirmed assent to the legitimacy of the original post.

All unconfirmed commitment reports should be off-limits for dissemination. There is as of this time no concrete evidence affirming or refuting this claim of a Brooklyn Pope verbal to Rutgers.

When confirmation one way or another has been determined, I'm sure that the news will be all over the internet within a matter of a couple of hours.

beknighted

PostPosted: 10/23/07 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YourCrimsonNightmare wrote:
All unconfirmed commitment reports should be off-limits for dissemination. There is as of this time no concrete evidence affirming or refuting this claim of a Brooklyn Pope verbal to Rutgers.

I'm not exactly sure what your concern is, to be honest. I said that the verbal was reported, not that it was a fact and gave the link to my source. (And, IIRC, there actually were three separate reports, including the confirmation, by the time I posted.) I'd agree with you if someone said, on the same evidence "Brooklyn Pope has committed to Rutgers," but I tried to be pretty careful to say just what I knew.

By the way, it's now been reported in a New Jersey newspaper, the Home News Tribune: Papal indulgence

YourCrimsonNightmare

PostPosted: 10/23/07 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess my concern is that there doesn't seem to be any confirmation from the player, a parent or her coach. Generally when a recruit wants her commitment to be known she will agree to an interview with a local writer for the school or in her home town area, or for a national source in the case of a major recruit.

While I have also noted that a syndicated small newspaper outlet in New Jersey has announced this, the article reads as though the information is heresay rather than first-hand knowledge.

I had no intention of attacking your post, it was just intended as a general caution for folks. I'm not saying that the verbal isn't real, just that it would be nice to have formal confirmation somewhere that it's actually a done deal. For you and me it's no big deal, but there have been a lot of recruits who have been very upset when their verbals have been disclosed, and if the school is the leaking source, recruits have been known to go elsewhere out of breach of trust.

Once again, I'm not saying that's the case here, I just wish there was confirmation from the player, who apparently is silent for some reason unknown to us.

beknighted

PostPosted: 10/23/07 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YourCrimsonNightmare wrote:
I guess my concern is that there doesn't seem to be any confirmation from the player, a parent or her coach. Generally when a recruit wants her commitment to be known she will agree to an interview with a local writer for the school or in her home town area, or for a national source in the case of a major recruit.

While I have also noted that a syndicated small newspaper outlet in New Jersey has announced this, the article reads as though the information is heresay rather than first-hand knowledge.

I had no intention of attacking your post, it was just intended as a general caution for folks. I'm not saying that the verbal isn't real, just that it would be nice to have formal confirmation somewhere that it's actually a done deal. For you and me it's no big deal, but there have been a lot of recruits who have been very upset when their verbals have been disclosed, and if the school is the leaking source, recruits have been known to go elsewhere out of breach of trust.

Once again, I'm not saying that's the case here, I just wish there was confirmation from the player, who apparently is silent for some reason unknown to us.

I understand. Some of what you mention is part of the reason that I'm cautious about what I claim in posts about recruiting. (The other is that I'm highly aware that I am not remotely a recruiting expert.)

The point about recruits being upset is interesting, and makes sense, particularly if they're not really sure, as happens sometimes. In this case, the sources seem to be in Texas, not New Jersey, although obviously on the Internet you can't be sure.

And given how tight-lipped the RU staff generally is about recruiting, I can't imagine the story came from them. Actually, I've wondered for a while if RU asks players not to disclose their verbals, as there have been several pretty good recruits whose intentions were unknown to the RU fan community until the day they signed.

For what it's worth, the article in the HNT is by someone who covers the Rutgers women's team regularly and who has been pretty reliable in the past. The HNT does sometimes share resources with other Gannett papers in New Jersey, so this article may have appeared in other NJ papers as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: