RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

RENE Finds a New Home!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boilerjay

PostPosted: 09/28/07 2:56 pm    ::: RENE Finds a New Home! Reply Reply with quote

Bloomington....

During an IU women's basketball reception, Portland was in attendance. Legette-Jack introduced Portland as her mentor.

http://blogs.jconline.com/mcarmin/

bullsky

PostPosted: 09/28/07 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As if Kelvin 'I'm a cheater' Sampson wasn't enough, this will surely make me dispise IU.

PostPosted: 09/28/07 3:12 pm    ::: Re: RENE Finds a New Home! Reply Reply with quote

boilerjay wrote:
Bloomington....

During an IU women's basketball reception, Portland was in attendance. Legette-Jack introduced Portland as her mentor.

http://blogs.jconline.com/mcarmin/

Even more reason for me to back ND and Ball State ..... Rolling Eyes

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
BallState1984

PostPosted: 09/28/07 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang Jay, give a girl a heads up before posting something like this! I spewed my Starbucks all over my monitor!

PostPosted: 09/28/07 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey Rocky.... make sure you have NOV 17 pencilled in on your Day Planner...... REE NEE comes to Muncie that day.

Last edited by BallState1984 on 09/28/07 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 09/28/07 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
As if Kelvin 'I'm a cheater' Sampson wasn't enough, this will surely make me dispise IU.

Because Illinois has been a repository of beyond-reproach men's basketball coaches over the past several decades...

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/28/07 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
Because Illinois has been a repository of beyond-reproach men's basketball coaches over the past several decades...

Certainly true in the past, but not now...maybe that is part of Weber's problem as far as his inability to recruit top players.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/28/07 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, just when I started to think I could ease off on the Big Ten in general...

PostPosted: 09/28/07 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The last time Rene Portland went to Indiana, some IU sports fans sent her a gift. Smile (See last paragraph of story.)

http://www.uscho.com/collegesports/gay_lesbian_bisexual/uid,MWZK021020064429794/PennStateCoachDrawsIreOfProtestersAtIndiana.html

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 09/29/07 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:

Certainly true in the past, but not now...maybe that is part of Weber's problem as far as his inability to recruit top players.

ding ding ding... Don't even get me started on freaking Sampson and why he is at IU in the first place, Weber and his inability to hire the father of big recruits, and everything else that is wrong with the recruiting world today...

Anyhow, to be certain, Portland is a mentor in a purely basketball sense. Legette-Jack is not someone to be concerned about regarding the general "Portland" sort of issues.

PostPosted: 09/29/07 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:

Anyhow, to be certain, Portland is a mentor in a purely basketball sense. Legette-Jack is not someone to be concerned about regarding the general "Portland" sort of issues.

I dunno....alienating what very few fans IU presently has... by bringing Portland in to participate in the team's Kick-off luncheon....is a little concerning.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 09/29/07 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:

When Maureen is involved, there is no such thing as "a purely basketball sense"...

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 09/30/07 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As far as my experiences have taken me, the only clear indication is that FLJ stands by Portland as a coaching mentor, as others have in the past. To assume that it is a political/moral agenda being pushed would also be assuming that Coach Jack is willing to outwardly alienate an entire group of people from the program that she has been hired to rebuild. I doubt that to be the case.

I also doubt that Indiana University would be tolerant of the same practices that have occurred at other colleges based upon knowledge of their current and former coaching staffs.

PostPosted: 09/30/07 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

that may be true, but I believe Portland's reputation preceedes her.. there was no one else available for the dinner? is this part of the 'rehab rene' dinner circuit.

As a coach, there is no way I would bring Portland in to speak/interact with my students -- it gives her a status that makes me uncomfortable -- you cannot separate her x's and o's history from the way she speparated certain players from playing x's and o's.

So near to her 'resignation' it makes Coach Jack out to be either obtuse or an apologist.

PostPosted: 10/02/07 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It may make Coach Jack obtuse or an apologist, but it makes me a Purdue fan.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 10/02/07 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
that may be true, but I believe Portland's reputation preceedes her.. there was no one else available for the dinner?

Only Legette's other inspiration, Dr. Lecter. It was a tough decision.

shock6666

PostPosted: 10/02/07 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
RedEqualsLuck wrote:
that may be true, but I believe Portland's reputation preceedes her.. there was no one else available for the dinner?

Only Legette's other inspiration, Dr. Lecter. It was a tough decision.

OMFG! That was too funny....thanks, I needed that! On another note, notice how Portland seems to resurface as Halloween approaches? Odd.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: