RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tournament goes to 16 pre-determined 1st round sites in 2009
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Marvel

PostPosted: 09/21/07 12:56 pm    ::: Tournament goes to 16 pre-determined 1st round sites in 2009 Reply Reply with quote

From the NCAA today:

INDIANAPOLIS---The NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Committee, with approval by the NCAA Division I Championships/Competition Cabinet, announced that beginning in 2009, the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Championship will feature 16 pre-determined first- and second-round sites with four teams assigned to each in order to enhance the student-athlete experience and attendance.

The 10-person committee spent considerable time examining and identifying operational, logistical and growth initiatives at its recent summer meeting, and had recommended the change from the current format of eight sites with eight teams, to the 16-site format, which was last used during the 2004 championship. The all-time record for first- and second-round attendance came in 2004 when 214,290 fans (6,696 average) attended 32 sessions at 16 pre-determined sites.

The committee will solicit bids and select eight additional first- and second-round sites for both the 2009 and 2010 championships.

"As a coaching community we need to support the move to 16 pre-determined sites," said Charli Turner Thorne, head coach at Arizona State University and a member of the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Board of Directors. "This move will be a win-win for the student-athletes, coaches and fans. We anticipate larger crowds, increased excitement and better television coverage during the first and second rounds. The big winner overall will be women’s basketball."

The committee also revised the bracketing principles to provide more flexibility to assign teams to sites in closer geographic proximity. The revision eliminated the principle that stated “the first three teams must be separated from a conference,” but maintained that conference teams will not meet until the regional final game. All other principles will be applied while placing teams in the bracket.

“The Division I Women’s Basketball Committee is committed to the growth of the game and the championship,” said Judy Southard, senior associate director of athletics at Louisiana State University and chair of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Committee. “We will continue to work with membership groups to assess, identify and provide answers to our future growth initiatives. All of these changes will help tremendously in this regard. ”

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 09/21/07 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because having only eight venues plagued by low attendance wasn't good enough...

Captain Marvel

PostPosted: 09/21/07 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, the theory is that attendance will go up, as schools that get the pre-determined sites will also likely get bids to the tournament. This is the old wolf where the top 16 seeds got to host first and second round games, only it's dressed up in different sheep's clothing.

bullsky

PostPosted: 09/21/07 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it'd be cool of they gave sweet sixteen teams(from the previous year) the first two rounds at home. Even if they don't get there, at least they'd get to host it.

For instance, if they did that, this year's first and second round hosts would be in Chapel Hill, Washington DC, Athens, West Lafayette, Knoxville, Poughkeepsie, Norman, Oxford, Storrs, Raleigh, Baton Rouge, Tallahassee, Durham, New Brunswick, Tempe, Bowling Green.

PostPosted: 09/21/07 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have said this over and over to friends.....

The women's tourney should be incorporated with the men's if it wants to do the pre-determined site thing.....take the 8 Best markets (i.e. - NY (City), IN, NC, LA, Chi(IL), Bos(MA), Atl(GA), and Hou(TX)) for both the men and women and stick them together (alternating days) and keep playing the 1st and 2nd Rd's at the SAME 8 sites EVERY year....then do the same for the 4 Sweet 16 sites (keep them at the same 4 venues (NYC, LA, Ind, and Hou) EVERY year) and then keep rotating the Final 4 like it is NOW but have the MEN and WOMEN's Final 4 in the same city and the same venue!!!!!
Kelli

PostPosted: 09/21/07 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
I think it'd be cool of they gave sweet sixteen teams(from the previous year) the first two rounds at home. Even if they don't get there, at least they'd get to host it.

For instance, if they did that, this year's first and second round hosts would be in Chapel Hill, Washington DC, Athens, West Lafayette, Knoxville, Poughkeepsie, Norman, Oxford, Storrs, Raleigh, Baton Rouge, Tallahassee, Durham, New Brunswick, Tempe, Bowling Green.

Too few teams west of the Mississippi.

PostPosted: 09/21/07 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelli wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

Too few teams west of the Mississippi.

Yeah, and you have to remember that the first two rounds is usually the only time west coasters get to see their teams in the tournament.

PostPosted: 09/21/07 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

True. I actually like ucdt's idea kind of. I mean, it would be cool if the WCBB tourney had yearly visits to WNBA cities. It would create interest and buildup to the WNBA season.

PostPosted: 09/21/07 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suppose this might help attendance, but it's only going to make the problem of playing on a lower seed's home court more common. At least with 8 sites, you had a minimum of 8 brackets where the home team wouldn't appear. With 16 sites, it's likely that you'll have at least 12 sites every year where the home team is playing, and I'll bet that half a dozen of them will be 5 seeds or worse.

Edited to add:

I forgot to say that the change in the seeding principles should give the committee some more flexibility, but I really don't trust them not to abuse it horribly, given the wacky way they've interpreted the seeding principles in the past. I foresee a lot of situations where the #2 and #4 or #1 and #3 seeds in a region come from the same conference, and maybe even some #1 and #2 combinations to "make it easy" for fan to attend regional games, most of which likely will be hundreds of miles away from home.

Grumps

PostPosted: 09/21/07 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I suppose this might help attendance, but it's only going to make the problem of playing on a lower seed's home court more common. At least with 8 sites, you had a minimum of 8 brackets where the home team wouldn't appear. With 16 sites, it's likely that you'll have at least 12 sites every year where the home team is playing, and I'll bet that half a dozen of them will be 5 seeds or worse.

The only way around that would be to go back to the top 16 seeds hosting...That or have it totally neutral where you couldn't play on your home court or even your home state...That would be a killer for attendance...

Grumps

Kelli

PostPosted: 09/22/07 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
have the MEN and WOMEN's Final 4 in the same city and the same venue!!!!!

Do you mean at the same time or weekends apart?

If it's at the same time, this limits the possible sites to cities that have enough hotel rooms for everyone.

PostPosted: 09/22/07 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:

The only way around that would be to go back to the top 16 seeds hosting...That or have it totally neutral where you couldn't play on your home court or even your home state...That would be a killer for attendance...

Grumps

The men have a relatively simple rule - you can't play somewhere that's been your home court (defined by the number of games you play there), so you don't have to send teams hundreds of miles away.

Anyway, I think a lot of people have felt over the years that the current system is the worst of all possible worlds - you disadvantage higher seeds and don't seem to have great attendance. Going to 16 predetermined courts is something of a step backwards from my perspective.

ucdt3

PostPosted: 09/22/07 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelli wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:

If it's at the same time, this limits the possible sites to cities that have enough hotel rooms for everyone.

Same Weekend....there are plenty of cities that could accomidate 50,000+ (30K mens and 20K womens) fans....like the ones that host the Super Bowl, NASCAR races, etc. People would just stay in surrounding cities if the host city had no more hotels available
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 09/22/07 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, flexibility is what the coaches WANTED to give the committee, since the rules are there to "be followed" not interpreted.... therefore "logical" choices were dictated by the rules (even if, perhaps, the person speaking to the press was unclear about the rules...Mary Alice)... of course, having set up a rigged set of rules to avoid "bias," giving flexibility invites claims of bias...

i'm interested to see how 2009 sets up --- glad they listened to the complaints of the fans, coaches and got ESPN to go along with it....

PostPosted: 09/22/07 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
Kelli wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:

Same Weekend....there are plenty of cities that could accomidate 50,000+ (30K mens and 20K womens) fans....like the ones that host the Super Bowl, NASCAR races, etc. People would just stay in surrounding cities if the host city had no more hotels available

Theres no way that would work. Other than LA, NY and maybe Chicago no city has that many hotel rooms. Super Bowl and NASCAR events don't bring as many people that 2 seperate Final Fours would. 20K for Women's final four? Confused And people wouldn't be willing to go to another city to stay, cities just aren't that close together. I know whenever the Final Four is in Indy our hotels fill up. I guess thats why they're building the new Conrad and oh yeah so we can host the damn Super Bowl Laughing

WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

http://twitter.com/TravisInIndy
ucdt3

PostPosted: 09/23/07 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thrillrider08 wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:
Kelli wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:

Theres no way that would work. Other than LA, NY and maybe Chicago no city has that many hotel rooms. Super Bowl and NASCAR events don't bring as many people that 2 seperate Final Fours would. 20K for Women's final four? Confused And people wouldn't be willing to go to another city to stay, cities just aren't that close together. I know whenever the Final Four is in Indy our hotels fill up. I guess thats why they're building the new Conrad and oh yeah so we can host the damn Super Bowl Laughing

You've obviously have NEVER been to a NASCAR event with fan attendance ranging from 85,000+ (aka Bristol (TN) Speedway) to 160,000+ (aka Daytona (FL) Speedway)
Michael

PostPosted: 09/23/07 1:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
Thrillrider08 wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:
Kelli wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:

You've obviously have NEVER been to a NASCAR event with fan attendance ranging from 85,000+ (aka Bristol (TN) Speedway) to 160,000+ (aka Daytona (FL) Speedway)

Sorry, but Indy has a couple much bigger races, and they only slightly taxes the hotel rooms more then a Final Four. Two FF at the same time would not be doable in Indy, even though they can support the crowds for the 500 and the Brickyard.

PostPosted: 09/23/07 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:

Obviously you shouldn't make such statements when you don't know me. Wink Because I go to the Indy 500 and the Brickyard 400 every year and they have crowds of up to 300,000. 2 Final Fours wouldn't work in 1 city except for the major ones, end of story

WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

http://twitter.com/TravisInIndy
ChipperF1

PostPosted: 09/23/07 9:46 am    ::: Go back to move forward Reply Reply with quote

The need to get back to the old formula. Move selection day back to Sunday and have the top 16 seeds host first two rounds.

No system will be perfect but that is the best thing from an attendance standpoint and a competition standpoint. You have fans in the seats who want this attraction. You also have an additioning thing to play for during the season. Playing for those home seeds. Everybody has an equal shot at it (Granted some shots are more equal than others).

This predetermined site idea? Never liked it.

PostPosted: 09/23/07 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thrillrider08 wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:

Obviously you shouldn't make such statements when you don't know me. Wink Because I go to the Indy 500 and the Brickyard 400 every year and they have crowds of up to 300,000. 2 Final Fours wouldn't work in 1 city except for the major ones, end of story

Then you should have understood my point....put them in ONE MAJOR CITY on the SAME WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!

"take the 8 Best markets (i.e. - NY (City), IN, NC, LA, Chi(IL), Bos(MA), Atl(GA), and Hou(TX)) for both the men and women"
Queenie

PostPosted: 09/24/07 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Except that a lot of major cities don't have appropriate sites for the Men's Final Four. Remember, they play in domed football stadiums for that tournament.

Also, they can't put it in New York. Conflict with the NIT, which would put the two tourneys in competition with each other.

PostPosted: 09/24/07 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ucdt3"]
Thrillrider08 wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:

Then you should have understood my point....put them in ONE MAJOR CITY on the SAME WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!

"take the 8 Best markets (i.e. - NY (City), IN, NC, LA, Chi(IL), Bos(MA), Atl(GA), and Hou(TX)) for both the men and women"

I think you've missed the point here. The Women's Final Four is just fine and has proven to be an economic boost to the hosting city. The concern is with attendance/cost at the opening rounds.

Looking forward to Voepel's reaction...

ucdt3

PostPosted: 09/24/07 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="PRballer"]
ucdt3 wrote:
Thrillrider08 wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:

I think you've missed the point here. The Women's Final Four is just fine and has proven to be an economic boost to the hosting city. The concern is with attendance/cost at the opening rounds.

Looking forward to Voepel's reaction...

I know that there is nothing wrong with attendance at the Women's Final 4 (I have attended 4 of them)....but my suggestion was for the entire tournament not just the final 4...the whole women's side needs fixing and that is only MY suggestion!!!! Everyone else is free to enter their own opinion
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/25/07 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hate to suggest what to me seems the stark staringly obvious, but prior to the Final Four, could each game not just be played on the home floor of one of the two teams involved? Either lower seed always at home to make it more exciting, or higher seed always at home because they've 'earned' it, or randomly draw who gets home advantage to add that extra frisson of excitement.

You should end up with better crowds if one of the teams involved is on their own floor, and you could have a week between games to sell tickets, organise travel, build publicity etc. Maybe it's just too simple.

Stephen Shirley

PostPosted: 09/25/07 1:44 pm    ::: Previous thread Reply Reply with quote

I went into a long rant in a previous thread about the locations for the tournament.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=290285&highlight=#290285

I still like my idea of eight regions with with each region guaranteed to host games. It's still mind boggling that the 2007 tournament didn't have a single site within 6 hours driving of the Nashville market.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: