RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA rules question?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumps

PostPosted: 09/10/07 11:59 pm    ::: NCAA rules question? Reply Reply with quote

My question is would the NCAA allow any of the college players that are on the SR National team roster to play during the college exhibition tour...The LV website had an article about the game and said that Parker would be playing against her Sr National teammates...I was just curious whether there was a rule that would keep them from playing against the colleges...(I am sure the college coaches wouldn't want them to)

Grumps

Kelli

PostPosted: 09/11/07 12:23 am    ::: Re: NCAA rules question? Reply Reply with quote

I can't imagine that the coaches association would let the NCAA allow the players to play for the National Team instead of their college team.

Plus, I can't imagine that any coach would want an NCAA opponent/potential opponent to play against their team during the exhibition season. Easy scouting opportunity.

I don't know of any specific rule, but this is the NCAA and they like rules so I'm guessing that there is one. Smile I just can't imagine any scenario in which the college player could play in an exhibition game against an opponent/potential opponent.

PostPosted: 09/12/07 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would have to be somewhere within the USABBall and NCAA regulations... i wonder where those are...

PostPosted: 09/12/07 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There won't be any college players on the exhibition tour. This tour is for visibility and fund raising for USA Basketball, but as far as I know they don't use college players during the basketball season, including the practice period before the sanctioned games start.

Besides, all of the college players are currently practicing with USA Basketball in hopes of playing in the FIBA Americas tournament that starts at the end of the month. One or two or three may make that team (It seems that there are always some pros that are hurt, pregnant, have other contractual obligations, weddings, etc. whenever they have these gruelling practice sessions.)

Eireann

PostPosted: 09/12/07 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know that it's a direct NCAA violation to compete with another team during your team's academic year/competition season (not quite as big an issue with basketball, but in sports like rowing, where there are a ton of clubs, it can be). If you do that, you're inelibible for the remainder of the current year and all of the next one. I think there is some exemption for national teams -- if classes start at Tennessee while the national team wants Candace Parker playing for them (did that happen last year?) she won't lose two years of eligibility. But if it's playing other college teams? Or your own team? I don't know.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 09/12/07 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll see if I can ask...

Interesting "fund-raiser" idea -- I wonder how they're doing the box office split. Usually the fodder.. i mean, the exhibition teams get a small guaranteed fee and MAYBE a small %.

PostPosted: 09/13/07 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

got an answer: college players won't play on the US team during the tour

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: