RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kelley Gibson and Cindy Blodgett

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
umbeta1455

PostPosted: 09/07/07 12:45 pm    ::: Kelley Gibson and Cindy Blodgett Reply Reply with quote

http://goblackbears.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/082007aaa.html

"University of Maine women's basketball head coach Cindy Blodgett announced on Monday that Kelley Gibson has been named the new assistant coach for the program. Gibson's hiring rounds out Blodgett's coaching staff, as Gibson joins Justin Rees and Rita Sullivan as assistant coaches. Gibson will work primarily with the Black Bear guards."

What I want to know is does anybody know what is going on with this coaching staff. I was a Blodgett fanatic in college, but I would never hire her as a head coach for Maine. Unless she turns out like McCallie or Versyp. Than to hire assistants who have done nothing either. Just a thought.

anybody know about these people who Blodgett hired?

pilight

PostPosted: 09/07/07 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelley Gibson played at Maryland then spent an inordinate amount of time as a Comets bench player. Dunno how she is as a coach.

PostPosted: 09/07/07 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rita Sullivan is a former communications director of the WNBA (2001-03). She is a former Black Bears team captain who graduated in 1995

Rees has 9 years Division II coaching and recruiting experience. His most recent position was associate head coach of the women's basketball team at Ferris State.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 09/07/07 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some ppl are better coaches than they are players! I know im an average player, but Im better @ coachng my sister!

PostPosted: 09/07/07 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
but I would never hire her as a head coach for Maine. Unless she turns out like McCallie or Versyp.

Couple of things going on 1) they were trying to mend some serious fences after the last disaster of a coach. 2) I think Cindy was a pretty good HS coach... 3) Did anyone know McCallie or Versyp were going to turn out that way (except for the people who hired them -- the have had a superb track record -- dunno if it's the same people responsible for the last 2) 4) Unless you hire Cindy and give her 4 years, you'll never know what she might become.

PostPosted: 09/07/07 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the next few years will be interesting to watch how different coaches evolve. The WNBA has been such a great opportunity for so many women and I'm sure it's a dream for all college players. Even watching someone like Dawn Staley ... now that she's a full-time coach and retired from playing we'll really get to see some good younger coaching talent at work.

Without the WNBA, people like Cindy would probably have started coaching a lot sooner. I think this past year's coaching vacacies really showed a need for this 'generation' to hurry up and collect epxerience w/ the 'older' coaches beginning to step away (Rene Portland, Teresa Grentz, Jody...) - even if it wasn't their choice.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 09/08/07 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

actually, I might suggest the opposite -- because of the WNBA some have chosen to stay in the US and coach AND play -- Dawn, Jen Rizzotti, Erin, Tamkia no-longer-Williams are a couple of examples that come to mind.

And with Cindy -- no disrespect intended -- but she wasn't in the W long enough for it to impact her coaching aspirations

PostPosted: 09/08/07 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My understanding is that Cindy wasn't a great assistant coach at BU or Brown. She's not a very dynamic personality for a head coach.

Orion

PostPosted: 09/08/07 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelley was a grad assistant (coach) at American a few years ago. Melissa McFerrin was/is the head coach at AU.

PostPosted: 09/09/07 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If some people aren't impressed with Blodgett as a coach, then why did Univ. of Maine hire her as a head coach? Other than being probably the best player ever at Univ. of Maine, a famous alumni and a former WNBA player, I can think of no other reason.

But anyway, good luck to Cindy. Maybe she'll prove the doubters wrong.

Last edited by StevenHW on 09/09/07 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
umbeta1455

PostPosted: 09/11/07 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As for Cindy, I was one of those people that followed her constantly which got me into womens basketball. When she was drafted she had a ton of articles dedicated just to her. I know she was only hired for the name, but I think it was the wrong choice. Obviously I hope I am dead wrong.

When it comes to her assistants I really hope she hired the right people. to me it seems like recruiting is going to be a lot harder. Just my honest opinion. That is why I asked if anybody knew of these people as coaches. It feels like Division 2 or 3 to me right now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: