RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Baylor BB and VB players charged with assault

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
five_to_the_third

PostPosted: 09/05/07 3:54 pm    ::: Baylor BB and VB players charged with assault Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3006341

BUfan

PostPosted: 09/05/07 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope they don't start arresting football players everytime they get in a fight

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 09/05/07 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. I saw that earlier today on another site but didn't think much of it (only a misdemeanor). My original thought was that this would be handled in-house (which is much worse than any kind of punishment they'd receive if they didn't play for Queen Kimmy). I was thinking along the lines of a few hundred suicides. Now that it's been leaked to ESPN, who knows what might happen. Mulkey doesn't take these matters lightly.

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 09/06/07 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Running in practice for punishment? You obviously dont get it.

When your in a situation where you could have gotten stabbed, your punishment should be severe, for your own good. 2 on 1 isnt cool either. Just incredibly stupid imo.

PostPosted: 09/06/07 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It blows my mind that sophomore student athletes facing huge time commitments with their teams have the time to buy books, attend classes, attend to coursework, and start altercations that lead to fights with knives.

Participation in collegiate athletics is an honor, not a right. Unless the accuser has totally falsified her version of the events, I'd kick these two off their teams.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 09/06/07 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:

So says the individual who doesn't think Kara Braxton did anything wrong by driving drunk... Rolling Eyes Clearly, you don't get it.

The girls are facing misdemeanor charges by putting THEMSELVES (and one other girl) at risk of getting hurt. They got into a fight. A fight. People, especially young college kids, still do fight these days. Should those two have been in that situation? No, but that's in the past.

Anyway, I've already stated that Mulkey will likely give her player a more severe punishment than the average college student who'd commit the same act.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 09/06/07 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Anyway, I've already stated that Mulkey will likely give her player a more severe punishment than the average college student who'd commit the same act.

And since the average college student isn't attending the university on an athletic scholarship, that is exactly how it should be.

I am with blue on this one.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/06/07 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By all means, let's treat them like Duke lacrosse players.

Oh, wait, on the other hand why don't wait until we find out if they actually did something before having them dismissed from their teams and expelled from school and tarred & feathered.

PostPosted: 09/06/07 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
By all means, let's treat them like Duke lacrosse players.

Oh, wait, on the other hand why don't wait until we find out if they actually did something before having them dismissed from their teams and expelled from school and tarred & feathered.

It does help, pilight, if you read the posts.

bluewolfvii wrote:
Unless the accuser has totally falsified her version of the events, I'd kick these two off their teams.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 09/06/07 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
JACKOWACKO wrote:

So says the individual who doesn't think Kara Braxton did anything wrong by driving drunk... Rolling Eyes Clearly, you don't get it.

The girls are facing misdemeanor charges by putting THEMSELVES (and one other girl) at risk of getting hurt. They got into a fight. A fight. People, especially young college kids, still do fight these days..

Fighting was not normal for college students where I went to school and still isn't. It didn't matter if you were on a team. Fighting could get you expelled. It certainly got you an audience with the dean.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 09/06/07 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
Fighting was not normal for college students where I went to school and still isn't. It didn't matter if you were on a team. Fighting could get you expelled. It certainly got you an audience with the dean.

Where did I say it was "normal"? I just said that kids still fight--and many of those who choose to fight do so because they're too emotionally immature to handle their disputes any other way. I'm not condoning the act nor am I saying that there's nothing wrong with fighting. What I am saying is that kids have been suspended/expelled/kicked off their teams for doing much worse.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 09/06/07 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Where did I say it was "normal"? I just said that kids still fight--and many of those who choose to fight do so because they're too emotionally immature to handle their disputes any other way.

Ok, we agree that handling one's disputes with violence is a fringe behavior for college students.

I'd go a step further in saying that students too emotionally immature to handle disputes any other way are not the faces a university wants to put forward, whether as a role model to incoming students, as interns with other institutions, or as beneficiaries of donor endowments promoting NCAA sports.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: