RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WBB Magazine Top 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/03/07 2:22 pm    ::: WBB Magazine Top 25 Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wbmagazine.com/flashback.html

PostPosted: 09/03/07 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
14. Oklahoma (28-5): The bad news for the Sooners? Only one starter is back this season. The good news? It is 6-4 junior center Courtney Paris, a national player of the year candidate who ranked second nationally in rebounding (15.9 rpg) and third in scoring (23.1 ppg) in 2006-07. Perhaps 6-3 junior forward Ashley Paris (7.4 ppg, 6.8 rpg) can increase her production, giving Coach Sherri Coale’s Big 12 team twin towers and twin sisters in the paint.

Not really... By the end of the year Plumley and Amanda Thompson were both starting. Ashley had some starts in there as well. I think 14 is a little low for us... but I kinda like starting out here rather than top 5.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/03/07 3:01 pm    ::: Re: WBB Magazine Top 25 Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

The Tennessee fans are going to go nuts over this one. There is no way UCONN should be ranked #1 in a preseason poll.

bullsky

PostPosted: 09/03/07 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Auburn? Really?

Hmm...I think West Virginia is ranked too high, also.

PostPosted: 09/03/07 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
13. Arizona State (31-5): Only two starters – 5-5 senior guard Reagan Pariseau and 5-8 junior guard Briann January – return for the Sun Devils. January ranked first among her teammates in assists (4.0), first in steals (2.1) and second in points (10.2) per game last year. Pariseau was second in both assists (3.0) and steals (1.3). Some first-year starters must step up for Coach Charli Turner Thorne’s Pac 10 squad.

Actually, we get Jill Noe back for a sixth year... so that makes three returning starters. I thought that had been pretty well publicized by now... Rolling Eyes

And while the other two spots will be first year starters, it's not like we'll be starting all freshmen either...

We'll have Dosty and Lacey who practiced with the team all last year and played with them in Italy this summer. Plus, we'll have Danielle Orsillo back, who scored 16 points when she started for us in the Sweet Sixteen this year while Bri was out with a concussion (thank you very much Angel McCoughtry...). And Dymond Simon will be back from her ACL tear last spring. Not to mention the rest of the returners or the actual freshmen, Tobin and Wilber.

For me that doesn't drop an Elite 8 team down to spot 13, but then again I don't mind being ranked 13 now so long as we move up later. Razz

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 09/03/07 3:46 pm    ::: Re: WBB Magazine Top 25 Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:

The Tennessee fans are going to go nuts over this one. There is no way UCONN should be ranked #1 in a preseason poll.

I'm in no way going nuts, but it is peculiar when Tenn. only really lost Spencer and brings in the #1 or #2 recruiting class Confused.

Maybe it will serve as motivation in the same way that Nancy's "least talented" team comment did last season Wink.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 09/03/07 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

how's the quality of the magazine changed with the new owners?

PostPosted: 09/03/07 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with UConn in the #1 slot. Can't see them losing a game in the regular season. It is also hard to forget about UNC's final couple minutes in the Final Four. A few suspect calls and a lead squandered. It has to haunt them.

gopherfan

PostPosted: 09/03/07 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wisconsin my ass, they should not be in the rankings. I'm with who ever said the Badgers are overrated. I think Purdue should be ranked ahead of Wisconsin because the Boilermakers have shown they are more consistent. To this day I'm still not impressed Jolene Anderson and Janese Banks they haven't showed yet that them and their team can make it to the NCAA Tournament.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 09/03/07 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A few things:

1. In a discussion on Maryland, how does the name "Marissa Coleman" not show up a single time? Shocked

2. I don't think it's tragic that Tennessee isn't ranked #1. Preseason rankings are supposed to reflect how voters feel about the teams BEFORE the games are played. It is assumed by this writer that the loss of Sidney Spencer, coupled with the shortening of the Tennessee bench, makes UConn a stronger team right now (especially given the addition of Maya Moore). Do I agree? No, but I'm not the one making these cooky rankings now am I?

Don't worry, Lady Vols fans. Tennessee will be ranked #1 by the actual polls that count. Whether or not they finish the season that way is up to the girls in orange and blue.

3. Just because a team returns five starters from last season doesn't make it a Top 25 squad this season. I can't count how many times I saw the words "returns five starters" on that poll. Other than UConn, the teams who return five starters aren't exactly equipped to create competition for those starting jobs. Without competition, there isn't improvement. See Maryland 2007.

4. At least 1/3 of the teams on this list won't make it past the second week of the season ranked, so no need to take these rankings personal. Beyond UConn and Tennessee, it's anyone's best guess.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 09/03/07 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver...Holy Cow! wrote:
I agree with UConn in the #1 slot. Can't see them losing a game in the regular season.

Didn't you say the same thing about Texas? Confused Oh well, at least this latest prediction makes some sense.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 09/04/07 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Auburn? Really?

Hmm...I think West Virginia is ranked too high, also.

The same West Virginia team that returns five starters and seven seniors -including Sanni and Bulger? If Carey is as good a coach as I think he is WVU could end up in the top 10.

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 09/04/07 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slight difference- I said Texas will never, ever lose another game. For the rest of history.

Michael

PostPosted: 09/04/07 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
Wisconsin my ass, they should not be in the rankings. I'm with who ever said the Badgers are overrated. I think Purdue should be ranked ahead of Wisconsin because the Boilermakers have shown they are more consistent. To this day I'm still not impressed Jolene Anderson and Janese Banks they haven't showed yet that them and their team can make it to the NCAA Tournament.

With Lindsey Wisdom-Hilton out for the year, I would have a hard time ranking Purdue. Wisconsin is coming together, and with all five starters back, I would not be surprised to see them win the Big Ten since it will be a down year.

PostPosted: 09/04/07 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
gopherfan wrote:

With Lindsey Wisdom-Hilton out for the year, I would have a hard time ranking Purdue. Wisconsin is coming together, and with all five starters back, I would not be surprised to see them win the Big Ten since it will be a down year.

Don't count Minnesota out yet. Like I said to someone else the only team that is standing in our way this year is Mich State.

Michael

PostPosted: 09/04/07 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
Michael wrote:
gopherfan wrote:

Don't count Minnesota out yet. Like I said to someone else the only team that is standing in our way this year is Mich State.

I am very leary of UMinn after the meltdown two years ago. Borton is going to have to prove to me that was a fluke by keeping her team together for a few years in a row before I put much faith in them again. They had the team to contend two years ago, and completely fell apart, so I am in "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" mode. The fact that this is the second time a team has laid down on Borton also adds to the skepticism.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: