RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jack In The Box Rainbow Wahine Classic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gopherfan

PostPosted: 08/08/07 7:08 pm    ::: Jack In The Box Rainbow Wahine Classic Reply Reply with quote

Code:
11/23/07 Hartford vs. UAB 9:00 AM
11/23/07 LIPSCOMB 11:10 AM
11/23/07 Texas vs. Virginia 1:20 PM
11/23/07 Minnesota vs. Kentucky 3:30 PM
11/24/07 Lipscomb vs. Hartford/UAB 11:00 AM

11/24/07 Loser Game 3 vs. Loser Game 4
11/24/07 Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 4
11/24/07 HARTFORD/UAB
11/25/07 SEVENTH PLACE GAME 11:00 AM
11/25/07 FIFTH PLACE GAME 1:10 PM
11/25/07 THIRD PLACE GAME 3:20 PM
11/25/07 CHAMPIONSHIP GAME 5:30 PM

http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/schedule.html?p=7

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 08/08/07 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GO TEXAS!!!

PostPosted: 08/08/07 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, tough schedule so far for the gophers. Pam really must of went all out this year. Kentucky is going to be hard and even if the gophers do slip past them Texas is going to be even harder. I'd rather play Virginia then Texas since we know the Cavaliers well.

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
mikeyc22

PostPosted: 08/08/07 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go Hartford!

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 08/20/07 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've often wondered how people decide to title something a "classic". How much history does this event have?

Go, Lipscomb!

gopherfan

PostPosted: 08/20/07 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver...Holy Cow! wrote:
I've often wondered how people decide to title something a "classic". How much history does this event have?

Go, Lipscomb!

This will be their 29th year doing this Jack in the Box Rainbow Wahine Classic.

http://uhathletics.hawaii.edu/pr.html?prid=14651&p=7

pilight

PostPosted: 08/20/07 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go, Lipscomb!

ASun power, baby!

PostPosted: 08/21/07 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kentucky could, in theory, end up playing Texas, where Mickie DeMoss now is an assistant after leaving UK to "retire" ... for about three months.

That could be an emotional, interesting match up.

gopherfan

PostPosted: 08/21/07 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Kentucky could, in theory, end up playing Texas, where Mickie DeMoss now is an assistant after leaving UK to "retire" ... for about three months.

They have to get past Minnesota first.. Wink

Go Gophers!!

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/21/07 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:

Uh, no. Whoever said Texas would win the first game? The loser of the Kentucky/Minnesota game could end up playing Texas. Let's not forget that the Longhorns are coming off two straight seasons without a postseason berth of any kind.

UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 08/21/07 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
gopherfan wrote:

Uh, no. Whoever said Texas would win the first game? The loser of the Kentucky/Minnesota game could end up playing Texas. Let's not forget that the Longhorns are coming off two straight seasons without a postseason berth of any kind.

To be fair, we could have easily played in the postseason WNIT at least one of those years (but probably both) but Conradt elected to decline the invite and rest the team.

Still, I think the Longhorns will beat Virgina...JMO.

PostPosted: 08/21/07 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:
To be fair, we could have easily played in the postseason WNIT at least one of those years (but probably both) but Conradt elected to decline the invite and rest the team.

That's absolutely false. Texas wasn't even in the hunt for a WNIT berth in 2006 with a 13-15 record. The WNIT won't accept teams that aren't even 0.500 overall, and in some conferences you have to have a 0.500 conference record as well. Texas did not receive a WNIT bid in 2006. They probably received one in 2007, but the team didn't want to play since they weren't guaranteed any home games.

Quote:

So, are you basing that on anything other than being a Texas fan? Let's look at what we know regarding Texas:

1. You have a new coach in Gail Goestenkors. She's a great coach, but this is her first time coaching a team other than Duke.

2. You lost your best interior player in Tiffany Jackson, who was basically a double-double woman. Regardless of her attitude issues, she was still a great college player.

3. Your best perimeter shooter, Arriaran is coming off a knee injury--and it's not like she was the Queen of Swift Feet prior to that injury. She hasn't even been able to recover from her surgery for six full months.

4. Your team plays in the Big 12, a conference not known for its overall athleticism. That is reflected in some of your team's recruits.

5. Your team's point guard (Cortijo) is hedging on her decision to leave school and hasn't exactly been granted her spot back. Plus, given the rumors posted about her relationship with her teammates, it's uncertain whether or not she should be allowed to come back. Team chemistry is everything in sports.

I'm not saying who will and who won't win. I don't know who will win and, because it's an early season tournament, I'm not sure that I care all that much. I am, however, sick of the posters on this thread discrediting UVA just because they don't know anything about the team. They're not just going to roll over and let Texas have its way with them because they're "Texas". They will fight like any team aspiring to be good (i.e. Top 25ish/NCAA Tournament worthy) should. They've got former HS All-Americans, just like Texas. They've got a future HOF coach, just like Texas. They've got talent, just like Texas. Texas could very well win the game. Then again, they could very well lose. But I don't think that them having Gail as the coach automatically boosts them to elite status--to the point where they can overlook opponents. You don't get that elite status from being 13-15 and 18-14 in consecutive seasons. The Longhorns have to earn that high status if they want it. Right now, they don't have it.

In closing, I think you all are making too much of this tournament anyhow. Not one of these teams reached the NCAA tournament last season, and some of these teams haven't been there in two or more seasons. It's at best a JV tournament. Whoever wins will probably get a national ranking, a couple of nice trophies to display in the ol' trophy case, and a "free" trip to Hawai'i to brag about to their friends. Whoop-dee-friggin'-doo. Rolling Eyes

~UK~

PostPosted: 08/21/07 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:

That's an understatement.

Perhaps by then DeMoss can tell her former players the real reason she walked out on them.

UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 08/21/07 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:

That's absolutely false. Texas wasn't even in the hunt for a WNIT berth in 2006 with a 13-15 record. The WNIT won't accept teams that aren't even 0.500 overall, and in some conferences you have to have a 0.500 conference record as well. Texas did not receive a WNIT bid in 2006. They probably received one in 2007, but the team didn't want to play since they weren't guaranteed any home games.

Okay bballfan...First, I said we could have been in the WNIT "AT LEAST ONE" of those years. And for the record, I think they didn't want to play in 2007 because Jody had just resigned and they were suffering from injuries. Still, as for '06, I guess I kept seeing articles that said the we had "declined an invitation" but I see you're right that we weren't really eligable. There wasn't really a reason to come down on me like that.

Quote:

Quote:

So, are you basing that on anything other than being a Texas fan? Let's look at what we know regarding Texas:

1. You have a new coach in Gail Goestenkors. She's a great coach, but this is her first time coaching a team other than Duke.

2. You lost your best interior player in Tiffany Jackson, who was basically a double-double woman. Regardless of her attitude issues, she was still a great college player.

3. Your best perimeter shooter, Arriaran is coming off a knee injury--and it's not like she was the Queen of Swift Feet prior to that injury. She hasn't even been able to recover from her surgery for six full months.

4. Your team plays in the Big 12, a conference not known for its overall athleticism. That is reflected in some of your team's recruits.

5. Your team's point guard (Cortijo) is hedging on her decision to leave school and hasn't exactly been granted her spot back. Plus, given the rumors posted about her relationship with her teammates, it's uncertain whether or not she should be allowed to come back. Team chemistry is everything in sports.

I'm not saying who will and who won't win. I don't know who will win and, because it's an early season tournament, I'm not sure that I care all that much. I am, however, sick of the posters on this thread discrediting UVA just because they don't know anything about the team. They're not just going to roll over and let Texas have its way with them because they're "Texas". They will fight like any team aspiring to be good (i.e. Top 25ish/NCAA Tournament worthy) should. They've got former HS All-Americans, just like Texas. They've got a future HOF coach, just like Texas. They've got talent, just like Texas. Texas could very well win the game. Then again, they could very well lose. But I don't think that them having Gail as the coach automatically boosts them to elite status--to the point where they can overlook opponents. You don't get that elite status from being 13-15 and 18-14 in consecutive seasons. The Longhorns have to earn that high status if they want it. Right now, they don't have it.

In closing, I think you all are making too much of this tournament anyhow. Not one of these teams reached the NCAA tournament last season, and some of these teams haven't been there in two or more seasons. It's at best a JV tournament. Whoever wins will probably get a national ranking, a couple of nice trophies to display in the ol' trophy case, and a "free" trip to Hawai'i to brag about to their friends. Whoop-dee-friggin'-doo. Rolling Eyes

WOWSER...What the hell is the point of acronyms like IIRC and IMO and JMO and others if people are just going to come down on you for making a prediction. Want some analysis as to why I think that? That's fine, just ask for it in perhaps a polite manner.

1. Yes, I am a Texas fan, so I'm going to default to them in a game against the University of Virginia. Geeze!

2. Yeah we have a new coach. Where might I ask, is the research that says a first year coach can't be successful? Then, of that research, where does it mention that a previously HIGHLY successful and premier WCB coach can in no way be successful at UT. It's not like she's coming in the week before the season. She's been here since April. She is a good coach, perhaps one of the best, and there's really no reason to think that the Longhorns won't be improved next season.

3. Granted TJ was a great player. Again, where's the research that says teams cannot rebound when they're best player graduates? It seems like you assume that we will be unsuccessful because we have a new coach and lost our best players. That, seems like how the game of WCB is played. Constant changng. Nothing ever stays completely the same. That doens't mean that we shouldn't be a good team.

4. I won't go into my "where's the research" line about players bouncing back from injury. Yeah, Erika is still a question mark. But there's no question that the girl has skills. So I think it's okay if we give her the benefit of the doubt.

5. What the hell does our conference have to do with how competitive we will be against UVA? This is a preconference game anyway. Seems like you're just looking for an excuse to hate on Texas and the Big XII.

6. Well I haven't heard anything about Carla returning. If she does return, it will only be a good thing. If she doesn't, oh well, we'll move on. Chemistry is a big deal in sports, but again, it's not like the team is being scraped together in a week.

7. All this hating on Texas, and you haven't once really seemed to talk about Virginia being able to beat us.

Bballfan, all I was saying is that I think Texas will win (remember, the JMO). I am a Texas fan. What do you want me to say? I think UVA will win...then keep dreaming. It's a preconference, early season tournament so yeah it doesn't mean a whole lot. But it's still a tournment and we can discuss it on these boards. My favorite team happens to be playing in it, so I DO care and I'd like to talk about it if others want to add to it. If you don't, that's totally fine. Seems all you'll do anyway is attack people who disagree with you.

Sorry to jump back on you, but I just felt there was no need for that.

PostPosted: 08/21/07 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hating on Texas? Goodness, someone makes a post (basketball-related, I might add) and he is "hating?" Notice how BBall posted with specific references to players, their injuries, their skillsets, etc. You make sweeping generalizations about her comments, when they were very specifically limited. BBall presented some issues.

Yes, a team can rebound from losing a great player, but, as Bball pointed out, the question is whether Texas will after losing TJ and not replacing her with anyone of that caliber. You just take comments, make a sweeping generalization (something BBall did NOT say, incidentally), and you avoid actually responding to BBall.

Rant over.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/21/07 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTex, my original post wasn't even directed at you. I just pointed out to those who feel that Texas has already won the first game of a tournament that doesn't start until November 23 that UVA ain't exactly a pushover. You took offense to my pointing out Texas' recent [lack of] success, but I did so to show that Texas hasn't done anything to justify being able to overlook opponents. Again, that was directed to those on here who have already marked down a Texas/whomever match-up in the winners' bracket of a tournament that doesn't start for three more months. I did not write the post with the intention of "hating on" Texas or even implying that Texas will definitely lose, especially when you consider that I've said time and time again that Texas can either win OR lose.

My second post mentions reasons why Texas isn't as high-and-mighty as people on here (again, not necessarily you) make them out to be. Nowhere in the post do you see any "hating" on Texas nor will you see any opinion that suggests Texas can't recover from its personnel losses. You don't see the words "Texas sucks" come up one time in my post. You will, however, see reasons why Texas isn't considered to be an elite team right now and a reason why Texas isn't exactly a shoo-in pick to reach the winner's bracket. Your team has its holes, just like every other team in the field. However, yours is one of only two teams in the field that has a new coach and is the only team in the field that lost an All-American candidate post player. Therefore, Texas is more or less even with the rest of the field. When you look at the entire field, you see a group of decent BCS and decent midmajor teams. No team stands out as the best in this field. This is as it should be given these teams' 2006-07 results.

Now, you did bring up a good point. You're a Texas fan who feels that your team will defeat UVA. Fair enough. Does that mean that you also feel that your team will defeat Tennessee?

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 08/21/07 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure when the ceremony is/was, but I think UVA coach Debbie Ryan was recently selected for the HOF- a very deserved honour.

UVA has a decent team, but you never know what night they'll show up to play. Their PG Zoll can be terrific or invisible. Their 2G Monica Wright has a chance to be very good. She is very quick, plays hard and her perimeter shot is improving. They have a slightly undersized forward in Lyndra Littles who produces good numbers and can sometimes out-nimble bigger players that are covering her. The biggest ? might be the return of a JC transfer that blew out her knee last season and did not play. She is a member of the Nigerian national team (I think).

All that being said, UVA lost games to Liberty and South Dakota State last season, which were actually pretty decent mid-major opponents. UVA had a terrible run of misfortune last season with two players being tossed from school (not every school will dismiss important players) and injuries. The Cavs should have a chance to field a decent squad this season. Not sure they'll be very deep though.

For what it is worth, I think Texas will go unbeaten for the foreseeable future. Can't see them losing- ever.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/21/07 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meh. You left out Paulisha Kellum, who was one of the league's better freshman the second half of the season.

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 08/21/07 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kellum's a decent player and certainly had some respectable performances. Got to watch her and Littles both in high school. Kellum was at McNamara and Littles at Carroll (DC). They had some nice battles with Mitch and Coleman who were teammates at St. John's and Kaili McClaren (Good Counsel/UConn). As you can see, it was a pretty strong conference.

gopherfan

PostPosted: 08/21/07 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
gopherfan wrote:

Um, I belive I said to HomerCecil that they would have to get past Minnesota first before he/she talked about playing Texas or Virginia that's all I said.

Quote:
I just pointed out to those who feel that Texas has already won the first game of a tournament that doesn't start until November 23 that UVA ain't exactly a pushover.

Your the only one who came in here up in arms about it. I said even if The gophers do get past Kentucky and have to play Texas I would rather play Virginia because we know the Cavaliers. In fact I was hoping we could play the Cavaliers one more time.

Last edited by gopherfan on 08/21/07 8:42 pm; edited 5 times in total
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/21/07 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kellum's a decent player and certainly had some respectable performances. Got to watch her and Littles both in high school. Kellum was at McNamara and Littles at Carroll (DC). They had some nice battles with Mitch and Coleman who were teammates at St. John's and Kaili McClaren (Good Counsel/UConn). As you can see, it was a pretty strong conference.

Sounded like a tough conference. How was Iman McFarland back in those days?

Gopherfan, this is what you said:

Quote:
Kentucky is going to be hard and even if the gophers do slip past them Texas is going to be even harder.

The other information (who you'd rather play) is irrelevant. It doesn't matter who you WANT to play. You've already acknowledged that Texas was going to win the first game with that quote.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/21/07 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
How was Iman McFarland back in those days?

Her "rep" was that she was as good as Carrem Gay. Of course, Carrem Gay's rep (to those NOT in the know) was that she was just a Charles sidekick. Of course, we all know how important someone's rep is...

McFarland has fallen way behind players like DeWitt (DeWitt, Kalana Greene, Keturah Jackson...nice year for South Carolina) in the rotation. I am surprised she didn't transfer after her freshman season...

gopherfan

PostPosted: 08/21/07 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Sounded like a tough conference. How was Iman McFarland back in those days?

Gopherfan, this is what you said:

Quote:
Kentucky is going to be hard and even if the gophers do slip past them Texas is going to be even harder.

The other information (who you'd rather play) is irrelevant. It doesn't matter who you WANT to play. You've already acknowledged that Texas was going to win the first game with that quote.

Who cares, there is no need to come in here gun a blazing just because someone said they might play Texas. OMG. Rolling Eyes It's not like you haven't made a WRONG accusation on the gopher before. Remember in 06 when you said the gophers would never make it into the NCAA Tournament. ( they were on bubble) I said they would and the Cavaliers would be the ones looking on the outside looking in. Well guess what they made (but not very far) and I was right. So go ahead bballfan2005 prove me wrong.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/21/07 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Her "rep" was that she was as good as Carrem Gay. Of course, Carrem Gay's rep (to those NOT in the know) was that she was just a Charles sidekick. Of course, we all know how important someone's rep is...

Exactly.

Quote:
McFarland has fallen way behind players like DeWitt (DeWitt, Kalana Greene, Keturah Jackson...nice year for South Carolina) in the rotation. I am surprised she didn't transfer after her freshman season...

Don't forget Breland, even though she hasn't exactly been stellar herself.

McFarland's probably a case of going to the wrong school yet staying just to "go along for the ride". It happens way too often in this sport.

gopherfan, so you were right about your team limping into the NCAA Tournament one year ago. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG! Wanna cookie? Laughing All the Gophers did that year was prove those who questioned your team's inclusion in the tournament right.

Seriously, bragging about a first-round ouster from more than a year ago is beyond lame. It also doesn't say much about your team's chances THIS season--you know, the only season that counts right now. Now give it a rest. I have no interest in your team, so why do you insist on bringing them up?

As I've said before, this is a JV tournament until proven otherwise. All these teams were a cut below the better teams in the country last season, so it's not like there are any standouts amongst these teams. These teams are, for all intents and purposes, even until they prove otherwise on the court in NOVEMBER and beyond. The winner has yet to be determined. If we already know who's going to win, why even bother flying the other teams out to Hawai'i? It'd be a complete waste of time.

gopherfan

PostPosted: 08/21/07 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Seriously, bragging about a first-round ouster from more than a year ago is beyond lame.

I'm not bragging just saying..

Quote:
All the Gophers did that year was prove those who questioned your team's inclusion in the tournament right.

Their was a definite problem with in the team that also help and early outing. No one seemed to have the heart to make it past Wash. (expect for Kelly)

Quote:
I have no interest in your team, so why do you insist on bringing them up?

Because your the one that had a problem with me saying we might play Texas if we get past Kentucky. I was also proving that you are not the only who makes accusation so don't act like your miss perfect.

Quote:
If we already know who's going to win, why even bother flying the other teams out to Hawai'i? It'd be a complete waste of time.

It's called having an opinion.. I'm sorry you don't have one.. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by gopherfan on 08/21/07 10:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: