RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stephanie McGee, former Sooner?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRballer

PostPosted: 07/19/07 12:54 am    ::: Stephanie McGee, former Sooner? Reply Reply with quote

Can anyone (esp. OU fans) tell me where Stephanie McGee ended up? Just curious, nothing more.

Thanks!

Last edited by PRballer on 07/19/07 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
mandih23

PostPosted: 07/19/07 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you mean "sooner"

PostPosted: 07/19/07 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks.

Soonerville

PostPosted: 07/19/07 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The last I heard, she was back home in Howe, OK, working. But that was news from about two years ago. I 'll see if I can rustle up something more current.

She never quite gelled with the team nor the whole college experience and up and quit after suffering a foot injury. I don't think it was career ending. She left the same time Kelly Lam (now at Marquette) transfered.

A true shame. I saw her play at the Big House at the OK Fairgrounds in the State Tourney and she was indescribable.
Shocked

She had a pretty stroke and was a real sharpshooter.

PostPosted: 07/19/07 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First, she worked in a grocery store, then last year she went to Carl Albert Junior College in Poteau, OK where she averaged 22 pts. in her only season there.

She left after one season and is rumored to be done with basketball or could end up at another college in OK. I read some speculation on another board, but I can't seem to find it. I THINK, emphasis on think, rumors were she could possibly head to Ok State. I also remember hearing she was in Edmond, oK where University of Central Ok is.

Maybe other Sooners will know more reliable info. My 2nd paragraph is pure hearsay, but the 1st paragraph is factual.

PostPosted: 07/19/07 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are right about her being in Edmond, OK. I was told she moved there and is enrolled at Oklahoma Christian University (which, ironicially is Sherri Coale's alma mater).

She is not playing ball, however, and is rumored to be "done with the game".

My source is someone who attends OC and is affiliated with their soccer program, but I cannot guarantee 100% veracity.

PostPosted: 07/19/07 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was at UCO in Edmond the same time Jan Ross was at OCC. Jan and Sherri played together but I only remember Jan. I think I was a year ahead of them.

PostPosted: 07/19/07 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

giraffespots wrote:
I was at UCO in Edmond the same time Jan Ross was at OCC. Jan and Sherri played together but I only remember Jan. I think I was a year ahead of them.

I HEART JAN ROSS! Smile

I'm thinking someone is going to snatch her up soon. She is soooo good. And Stacey Hansmeyer does a great job as well.

I lived in Edmond for a time and have relatives (cousins) who make their home there. It has BLOWN UP since the late 80's.

PostPosted: 07/20/07 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's why I chose Edmond because it had that "small town" feel to it. I liked that. Not anymore. You might as well be living in the city (OKC). In hindsight, Norman has that small town feel but at the time, I felt it was too urban Rolling Eyes what a dork I am.

PostPosted: 07/20/07 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she left after her first semester and attended a university in Fort Smith, Ark. She had not decided at that time about bball and her dad said it was up to her.........but that they would pay for her college if she did not want to continue basketball..........this was written in a paper in her hometown or near her hometown and it was that first year.

Just what I read in the paper at the time, as I remember, thought it might be something someone was interested in reading.

I also read that she was homesick at OU and went home many weekends.........can't remember where I read that and it might just have been rumor..

It's sad because, had she chosen another university, maybe she would have been happier and wanted to continue in basketball. Then again, maybe she was tired of it and it was not what she wanted to pursue. I just hope she is happy.

I saw some tacky things written about her because she left OU. That is really shallow of people and I hate that she had to endure that fromm ignorant people who have nothing better to do than jump on a young person and to judge people for what those people want to do with their lives..................it's ridiculous and petty. People like this need to get a life of their own.

Soonerville

PostPosted: 07/20/07 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

giraffespots wrote:
That's why I chose Edmond because it had that "small town" feel to it. I liked that. Not anymore. You might as well be living in the city (OKC). In hindsight, Norman has that small town feel but at the time, I felt it was too urban Rolling Eyes what a dork I am.

Giraffespots, there's a collective in Norman right now who is trying to fight that urban sprawl thing. They have bumperstickers that say "DON'T EDMOND MY NORMAN"

Seems to be a big fight brewing.... Shocked

PostPosted: 07/20/07 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I think they should fight it. Here in Albuquerque, they fight any kind of progress at all. Its a bit ridiculous. But in the case of Norman, I think keeping Norman separate from the OKC metroplex is a good idea. It is still a modern and progressive town, yet maintains that smaller college town feel. Its really a unique and cool place to live. I am hoping soon I can move back to Oklahoma.

Tennis, I also have read where she wasn't really happy at OU and could have possibly had some issues with Coale where she (Coale) wanted McGhee to be more "dedicated" or active in her training. I think she is just a small town girl who was overwhelmed by the whole thing. I agree that people shouldn't be ragging on McGhee because she is, after all, just a young girl leaving home for the first time. She (McGhee) needs to to what is best for her and not worry about other folks. She'll be much happier in the long run. I hope she is happy in whatever she is doing now. I feel bad that she had so much potential and everything else got in the way.

Its ironic that McGhee went to Norman, where that small town feeling is still there instead of Edmond where it has completely urbanized because I feel that if McGhee had gone to UCO, she would have been MUCH happier in that smaller university atmosphere. She might have developed into an AA player for UCO. I know I just LOVED it at UCO (of course, that was 20 years ago).

PostPosted: 07/23/07 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McGee had a minor foot injury and had been released to play 4 games before deciding to quit the team. Her father called Jan Ross (asst. coach) over the Christmas break to inform her that Stephanie wouldn't be returning to Norman.

I really think it was a case of "too much daddy". McGee first played at ?Poteau HS and when the father was refused keys to the gym, he moved his family to Howe, Oklahoma (where I'm guessing he got the keys to the gym Question )

I haven't heard anything lately but I did hear that the other players were glad because of the chemistry issues it was causing.

Soonerville

PostPosted: 07/23/07 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

swok34 wrote:
McGee had a minor foot injury and had been released to play 4 games before deciding to quit the team. Her father called Jan Ross (asst. coach) over the Christmas break to inform her that Stephanie wouldn't be returning to Norman.

I really think it was a case of "too much daddy". McGee first played at ?Poteau HS and when the father was refused keys to the gym, he moved his family to Howe, Oklahoma (where I'm guessing he got the keys to the gym Question )

I haven't heard anything lately but I did hear that the other players were glad because of the chemistry issues it was causing.

I heard this same deal in a very roundabout way but had no real proof. It's one of those things that always comes up and everyone wonders aloud about it.

You confirming it makes me think of the adage "where there's smoke...."

Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 07/24/07 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe I read in a newspaper that three young women transferred to Howe........not just McGhee. I also remember there being something about not having sufficient access to the gym. I can't see Jackie Stiles having had the success in college that she did had she not had access to the gym at her high school.

I certainly see nothing wrong with her folks nor with her transferring high schools if they thought that would benefit her career. If she had been happy at Oklahoma and stayed, I imagine the fans would not have anything negative to say about her improving her game with more practice in high school by getting more access to the gym.

Also, in high school, it is your parents that often negotiate these type things with the schools. It is not something a l5 or l6 yo student would do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: