RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

There's a rivalry brewing in the Big 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/17/07 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Duke does retire the number of the player who wins a major individual national award. So far, Alana Beard is the only Duke woman to have her jersey retired.

Harding's will be retired this year.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/17/07 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
I have no recollection of Peppi prior to 1999, so I'll take your word for it. Bridgette doesn't seem to have the same defensive instincts as Peppi.

Peppi took more chances earlier in her career, before understanding not to go for it (on the defensive end) all the time, every play. It paid off...later in her career, she knew how to deny the ball, rather than just by overplaying lanes and going for steals...and this was against much taller players (Peppi was about 5-11, if I recall).

Incidentally, BBall, if you were putting together an All-Duke Defensive team, would it look like this?

PG - Harding
SG/Wing - Beard
F - Peppi
F - Ro Parent
C - Bales

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 07/17/07 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, that's how the team would look.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/17/07 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Yes, that's how the team would look.

RobC had a thread a few years ago on TDD about putting together the ideal Duke team on offense...can score in the halfcourt and transition, balance of athleticism and skill, scoring from driving to the hoop and outside. Might be time to revive that...

BUfan

PostPosted: 07/18/07 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back to top Posted: 07/16/07 2:45 pm ::: Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tag3 wrote:
In my opinion, the OU/Baylor women's bb rivalry is now just about as heated as OU/Texas, if not moreso. And I personally enjoy an OU wbb win over Baylor more than one over Texas. Why?

AAAAAAAACK! It's CRUELLA DE VILLE!

So what is the truth....you just like Barbie dolls better? or Kim came in and won a national championship and you still have not and you are jealous?

I am still amazed at how so many hate....Kim, Geno, Pat (and others). The remarkable thing is they hate those that win or stand in their way

Soonerville

PostPosted: 07/18/07 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, my season tickets at the LNC are four rows behind the visitor's bench. I've been treated to KM's whining and tirades for a few years now.

Her outright tantrums during the Big XII tourney were on par with a kid pitching a fit in the toy aisle in a WalMart store.

Nothing to be jealous of. And that's just my $0.02. I'm sorry you took it so personally.

FWIW, I am a huge Pat fan and have been for years. Smile She's the Queen of WCBB.

PostPosted: 07/23/07 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well said, Soonerville.

I'm just grateful my favorite team has a coach who is aware that leather pants aren't appropriate sideline attire, that rolling around on the court isn't an appropriate response to a heartbreaking loss, and that the pre-game handshake, on national tv, isn't the appropriate time to confront the opposing coach about a contentious issue.

Soonerville

PostPosted: 07/23/07 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Preach on, friend. Preach on.

BTW, Danielle Robinson is doing voluntary workouts now- - and AT is doing some light lifting/dribble drills and short range shooting.

I AM SO READY! Cool

PostPosted: 07/23/07 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*nodding and smiling*

aurabass

PostPosted: 07/25/07 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:
I'd say without Tenn-UConn, the top rivalries in NCAA are...

1. Duke - Maryland
2. Texas - Oklahoma
3. Tenessee - Louisiana State
4. Connecticutt - Rutgers

Agree?

Nope.

3. This rivalry "died" about five seasons ago..

For the past 4 seasons LSU has made 3 final fours and Tennessee 3.
In 04 Tennessee knocked LSU out of the NCAA Final Four by one in the semi finals in New Orleans
In 02 and 03 LSU beat Tennessee in the SEC Tourney Finals by 1 and 16
In 05 and 06 Tennessee beat LSU in the SEC finals by 2 and by 1
In 07 LSU beat Tennessee by 9 in the SEC tournament

For the past 3 years the LSU - Tennessee rivalry has been of more consequence than the Tennessee UConn rivalry in NCAA Tournament play
LSU knocked UConn out of the NCAA this year.

I would submit that Tennessee and LSU have had more to do with the National Championship than Tenn UConn or any other pairing for the past four years despite the fact they only met once in the Tournament.

This year will be a continuation of that situation since LSU returns everyone and Tennessee is also favored to return to the Final Four.

There hasn't been any paring in WCBB that has been of more consequence than LSU vs Tennessee since 2004 as far as outcome of games. (The record is even at 4 wins each in the past 4 years I think.) Tournament records - 2 and 2 in the SEC. And Final Fours 3 each in four years.

Name any other paring with that kind of Final Four consistency in the past four years.

UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 07/25/07 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

aurabass wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:
I'd say without Tenn-UConn, the top rivalries in NCAA are...

1. Duke - Maryland
2. Texas - Oklahoma
3. Tenessee - Louisiana State
4. Connecticutt - Rutgers

Agree?

Nope.

3. This rivalry "died" about five seasons ago..

For the past 4 seasons LSU has made 3 final fours and Tennessee 3.
In 04 Tennessee knocked LSU out of the NCAA Final Four by one in the semi finals in New Orleans
In 02 and 03 LSU beat Tennessee in the SEC Tourney Finals by 1 and 16
In 05 and 06 Tennessee beat LSU in the SEC finals by 2 and by 1
In 07 LSU beat Tennessee by 9 in the SEC tournament

For the past 3 years the LSU - Tennessee rivalry has been of more consequence than the Tennessee UConn rivalry in NCAA Tournament play
LSU knocked UConn out of the NCAA this year.

I would submit that Tennessee and LSU have had more to do with the National Championship than Tenn UConn or any other pairing for the past four years despite the fact they only met once in the Tournament.

This year will be a continuation of that situation since LSU returns everyone and Tennessee is also favored to return to the Final Four.

There hasn't been any paring in WCBB that has been of more consequence than LSU vs Tennessee since 2004 as far as outcome of games. (The record is even at 4 wins each in the past 4 years I think.) Tournament records - 2 and 2 in the SEC. And Final Fours 3 each in four years.

Name any other paring with that kind of Final Four consistency in the past four years.

Easy now...I'm pretty sure they said further up that they thought I had written Tenn - La TECH instead of La STATE. Simple mistake.

bballfan2005 wrote:
Whoops...I mistook LSU for LaTech. Sorry 'bout that, UTex.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: