RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

There's a rivalry brewing in the Big 12
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 07/14/07 11:13 pm    ::: There's a rivalry brewing in the Big 12 Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=2934147

It's official. I heart Mechelle Voepel. Laughing

PostPosted: 07/15/07 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing That piece is full of great lines, but this has to be my favorite:

Quote:
SOONER SALLY: "I loved that part about Mickie DeMoss having been 'retired' for 'months' before she was, astonishingly, lured back to be an assistant coach at Texas. I bet they loved that in Kentucky, too."

OU OSCAR: "Yeah, that press release from Texas practically read like she'd gone deep into the Himalayas to consult with yogis on the meaning of life. And some yogi told her, 'You must go work for Coach G!' "
Soonerville

PostPosted: 07/15/07 2:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just read that and I LOVED this part!!
M. Voepel ROCKS!

OU OSCAR: "No … but it would be awesome if we could take their prime time television spot with our rivalry game! Coach Coale vs. Coach G! Courtney vs. … um, whomever you guys have now that 'Traveling' Tiffany Jackson is in the pros."

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 07/15/07 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's awesome. It really is a good rivalry, helped all the while because we actually play in the same conference. No matter how hard core the rivalry gets, the games (two of them each year) will always be played....well, until they redraw the conference, which I doubt will ever happen.

I'd say without Tenn-UConn, the top rivalries in NCAA are...

1. Duke - North Carolina
2. Texas - Oklahoma
3. Tenessee - Louisiana State
4. Connecticutt - Rutgers

Agree?

Edit - And yes, Mechelle Voepel is awesome!

Last edited by UTexRulz23 on 07/25/07 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
bullsky

PostPosted: 07/15/07 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:
1. Duke - Maryland
2. Texas - Oklahoma

Agree?

I don't think Tennessee/LA Tech is much of a rivalry anymore. I could be wrong, though.

One that has sprung up as of late is Stanford and Arizona State. I expect Cal to bug Stanford as well in the future.
Purdue/Ohio State is a solid Big Ten Rivalry.

PostPosted: 07/15/07 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:

1. Duke - Maryland
2. Texas - Oklahoma

Agree?

Nope.

1. Duke-Maryland isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the vast ocean of a rivalry that exists between Duke and UNC.

2. Texas/Oklahoma is a much bigger football rivalry than it is basketball--men's or women's.

3. This rivalry "died" about five seasons ago.

4. This is just now (since 2006-07, really) starting to become a rivalry as opposed to being one-sided.

Mathies to LA 2013
UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 07/15/07 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:

1. Duke - Maryland
2. Texas - Oklahoma

Agree?

Nope.

1. Duke-Maryland isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the vast ocean of a rivalry that exists between Duke and UNC.

2. Texas/Oklahoma is a much bigger football rivalry than it is basketball--men's or women's.

3. This rivalry "died" about five seasons ago.

4. This is just now (since 2006-07, really) starting to become a rivalry as opposed to being one-sided.

I did mean Duke-UNC, I don't know why I put Maryland. Other than that, I disagree with you. I am just listing the top 4 (5 with the one I added below) rivalries in the game today. And I think they are. Sure, UT-OU is a bigger football rivalry, that doesn't mean that the basketball rivalry for women isn't there. Don't think Tenn - LSU died. Still alive and kicking if you ask me. Even it did die, it wasn't five seasons ago. The UConn-Rutgers one...well you proved my point. It is one of the top rivalries in the game TODAY, not all-time, but TODAY.

Make Ohio State - Purdue the number five. That represents each of the main conferences in the WCB. I don't really know about the Pac-10. Maybe Stanford-USC???

PostPosted: 07/15/07 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:
Don't think Tenn - LSU died. Still alive and kicking if you ask me. Even it did die, it wasn't five seasons ago. The UConn-Rutgers one...well you proved my point. It is one of the top rivalries in the game TODAY, not all-time, but TODAY.

Whoops...I mistook LSU for LaTech. Sorry 'bout that, UTex. As for UConn-Rutgers, I'll need Rutgers to win a few more games in the series before I can call that a true "rivalry".

In terms of the Pac-10 rivalry in WCBB:

Quote:
Stanford-USC???

Probably better off with Stanford/Cal or Stanford/Arizona State right now.

Mathies to LA 2013
UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 07/16/07 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Quote:
Stanford-USC???

Yeah...it's really a tossup in the Pac-10. Either way Stanford is a part of it if only because they're undeniably the best team in the Pac-10. USC could slide up there if they can keep improving and get back to the days of Leslie and Thompson in terms of talent-wise.

PostPosted: 07/16/07 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my opinion, the OU/Baylor women's bb rivalry is now just about as heated as OU/Texas, if not moreso. And I personally enjoy an OU wbb win over Baylor more than one over Texas. Why?

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 07/16/07 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a fan of Voepel's work at all, but rivalries are an interesting topic.

I'm biased towards any combination of the three ACC teams- Duke, Maryland and UNC. Pair any of the two and there are great stories from recent match-ups. In the past two years, these games have generated crowds and increased TV ratings. I hope it stays this way.

I also enjoy the LSU-Tenn match-up, but wonder how it will be different now with Pokey gone? I think Pokey was one of those up and coming, young, hungry coaches that threatened the Orange Empire and there was no love between the two coaches.

Big East, I'd like to say UConn-Rutgers, but it seems like, minus Imus, Rutgers doesn't generate a ton of interest. UConn really needs another rival. UConn's game vs. UNC is always a good one and perhaps it will grow. The way UConn is recruiting, they are going to be tough to be for the foreseeable future. Maybe we can get a UConn-MD match-up? That would be a lot of fun. But with this year's class of Terp seniors, it will be interesting to see if we can maintain the success.

I'm also curious to see where Duke's program goes with the new staff. They didn't consistently recruit big time players to Michigan State.

Right now, the state of Texas is LOADED with HS talent. Where much of that talent goes will be very interesting to watch. Baylor has the jump on everyone with the commit from Brittany Griner. I hear they are likely getting the Neka O. kid and her sister as well. That could be a very formidable frontcourt in Waco!

swok34

PostPosted: 07/16/07 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tag3 wrote:
In my opinion, the OU/Baylor women's bb rivalry is now just about as heated as OU/Texas, if not moreso.

I agree, I think Baylor is a bigger rival right now for OU. But once Texas gets it's game back on, that will change. The hate doesn't exist between OU and Texas in women's basketball the way it does in football.

Of course, there are those football fans that wander in to any arena when OU and Texas meet, regardless of the sport.

Soonerville

PostPosted: 07/16/07 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tag3 wrote:
In my opinion, the OU/Baylor women's bb rivalry is now just about as heated as OU/Texas, if not moreso. And I personally enjoy an OU wbb win over Baylor more than one over Texas. Why?

AAAAAAAACK! It's CRUELLA DE VILLE!

Agree with you 100%, Tag. And the crowds at the LNC would concur.

PostPosted: 07/16/07 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver...Holy Cow! wrote:
I'm biased towards any combination of the three ACC teams- Duke, Maryland and UNC. Pair any of the two and there are great stories from recent match-ups. In the past two years, these games have generated crowds and increased TV ratings. I hope it stays this way.

It won't. Hatchell has been at UNC for over 20 years and is in her 50s (and eventually her homophobic negative recruiting tactics will catch up with her), Frese is much younger but hasn't exactly proven that she doesn't have ants in her pants, and McCallie is a huge question mark in terms of coaching in the ACC. Plus, her husband has the potential to be a huge distraction to her professional endeavors in his quest to clear up his "record" and subsequent pursuit of another academic position.

As the game changes, rivalries change. That's the nature of sports. I hope, for the ACC's sake, that the rivalries can extend beyond the ones that exist between the league's three overhyped teams.

Mathies to LA 2013
Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 07/16/07 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach B isn't going anywhere. She has a job that is on the very short list of best in the country- great location, great facility, great conference, top 20 public university, great A.D., etc. She changed jobs when she was moving up the ladder- Ball State, Minnesota, Maryland. She's at the top level now. There is nowhere to go. She's heading into her 6th season at Maryland, which should be enough to dispel the "ants in her pants" notion.

Never caught any homophobic drift from Coach Hatchell. In fact, many people probably assume the opposite. She doesn't seem to have any problems getting top kids to UNC. People love brand names, whether they're shopping for clothes or schools.

I do think JPM and staff are a big question mark. Given Duke's lack of depth in the backcourt, they better be beating the bushes to find players.
After Wanisha, Abby and incoming Jasmine T., what is there to go to? Will Mitch become a guard?

Any idea what Chante Black's health status is? Will we see her on the court this season?

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 07/16/07 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:
Don't think Tenn - LSU died. Still alive and kicking if you ask me. Even it did die, it wasn't five seasons ago. The UConn-Rutgers one...well you proved my point. It is one of the top rivalries in the game TODAY, not all-time, but TODAY.

Whoops...I mistook LSU for LaTech. Sorry 'bout that, UTex. As for UConn-Rutgers, I'll need Rutgers to win a few more games in the series before I can call that a true "rivalry".

Quote:
Stanford-USC???

Yes, I thought you were on crack there for a second. But LSU has remained strong and with Sylvia Fowles in her senior season, should remain a strong opponent to Tennessee.

Here's hoping that CTT and Boyle keep making ASU and Cal stronger teams. We need them to keep pushing Stanford so that we can be more competitive out of conference.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 07/16/07 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach B isn't going anywhere. She has a job that is on the very short list of best in the country- great location, great facility, great conference, top 20 public university, great A.D., etc. She changed jobs when she was moving up the ladder- Ball State, Minnesota, Maryland. She's at the top level now. There is nowhere to go. She's heading into her 6th season at Maryland, which should be enough to dispel the "ants in her pants" notion.

We'll see. Gail wasn't supposed to leave Duke, but it happened. That's the nature of the game. Things do change.

Quote:
Never caught any homophobic drift from Coach Hatchell. In fact, many people probably assume the opposite. She doesn't seem to have any problems getting top kids to UNC. People love brand names, whether they're shopping for clothes or schools.

You don't have to "catch a drift" to know that Hatchell is a very shady woman when it comes to recruiting against the rest of the ACC. She will not stop short of selling out any moral fiber remaining in her supposedly high-standard conscience to land a recruit. At the same time, however, she knows when and when not to pull out that card (unlike Portland). She may be a Carolina hick, but she's not a complete and utter fool.

And no, it's not hard to recruit to UNC thanks to The Nose Dome Smith and Michael Jordan. Butch Davis is proving that despite the recent dings in his resume.

Quote:
I do think JPM and staff are a big question mark. Given Duke's lack of depth in the backcourt, they better be beating the bushes to find players.
After Wanisha, Abby and incoming Jasmine T., what is there to go to? Will Mitch become a guard?

This is why the "Duke will be fine without Harding" talk didn't sit well with me. Technically, we've got other guards who can step up like Mitch (who's supposed to be a point guard but won't play it in the ACC due to the presence of too many ball hawks) and Emily Waner (wouldn't expect to see her in the regular rotation), but someone else has to emerge on the perimeter from the Cheek (if they allow her to move out to the wing)/Mitchell/Christmas group. With that said, there's still a LOT with which to work. I'd just prefer that the person calling the shots was a bit more abreast with respect to the ACC.

On paper, Duke is good enough to be ranked in the Top 15 nationally and Top 4 in the ACC. That's pretty damn good considering who we lost and what they meant to the growth of the program.

Quote:
Any idea what Chante Black's health status is? Will we see her on the court this season?

She will play and most likely start this season.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/16/07 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
but someone else has to emerge on the perimeter from the Cheek (if they allow her to move out to the wing)/Mitchell/Christmas group.

Cheek, to me, is Mistie with a better midrange shot. I could see Carrem seeing more time on the wing, assuming she could defend the three.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 07/16/07 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Cheek, to me, is Mistie with a better midrange shot. I could see Carrem seeing more time on the wing, assuming she could defend the three.

You're right on both counts. I think either one could play the three (assuming Mitchell doesn't step up and Christmas doesn't blow anyone away during fall practice), but it seemed to me that Cheek is the more creative scorer of the two. Neither has defensive skills worth writing home about, but they were young and inexperienced last season.

Mathies to LA 2013
Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 07/16/07 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw Mitch play in HS for a few years. I do not think she could ever be a point guard. I'm curious to see how she performs this year, but my impression this past season was that she is too timid. Looking at some of the USA B-ball boxes, it looked like JPM might be considering Waner at the point. I thought Wanisha did a decent job when called upon. She'll never be Harding, but she can still be better than many of the PGs who she'll play against. She or the incoming freshman, Jasmine, might be the best options.

I thought Cheek did some nice things on the inside. To be frank, I don't think her weight will ever allow her to really move to the wing. Cheek's cheeks are a bit too much, if you will. But hey, we'll see. I have heard that JPM likes to "run 'em".

Realistically, what is JPM's honeymoon period at Duke? Does she get four years?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/16/07 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
You're right on both counts. I think either one could play the three (assuming Mitchell doesn't step up and Christmas doesn't blow anyone away during fall practice), but it seemed to me that Cheek is the more creative scorer of the two. Neither has defensive skills worth writing home about, but they were young and inexperienced last season.

BBall, maybe you feel differently, but Bridgette Mitchell reminds me of a younger Peppi, before Peppi put it together. Great athlete who is still a little too spaz on the court. Needs to develop more of a consistent outside shot because she is an undersized forward at this point. Great potential...we shall see if McCallie can bring it out of her.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 07/16/07 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm willing to bet Smith becomes the starting, but not full time, PG.

Smith, Waner, Gay, Cheek, and Black would be my starting lineup.

I think if Cheek is toned up and a bit quicker, she may be the one to play the wing. She definitely was confident taking the ball to the rim from the perimeter. Gay starting will help her retain confidence, and I do like her defense and rebounding. Black needs to be a force greater than Bales in terms of creating her own points, because I doubt she is as good of a passer. She needs to duplicate Bales defensive ability.

Waner is the gunner, and Thomas comes off the bench and pushes Smith to the three to go smaller. This team has a lot of pieces in terms of who can be the starters, and a number of ideas off the bench.

In the end, we will see what McCallie can do with a lot of talent right off the bat. Does she develop the bench players? Does she find a player to emerge immediately? Does she get Chante back on track? Does she find consistency from Wanisha. Lots of questions, and this is like a multiple choice test with too many answers, and I sure as hell hate trying to select the more accurate four months in advance.

PostPosted: 07/17/07 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
BBall, maybe you feel differently, but Bridgette Mitchell reminds me of a younger Peppi, before Peppi put it together. Great athlete who is still a little too spaz on the court. Needs to develop more of a consistent outside shot because she is an undersized forward at this point. Great potential...we shall see if McCallie can bring it out of her.

I have no recollection of Peppi prior to 1999, so I'll take your word for it. Bridgette doesn't seem to have the same defensive instincts as Peppi.

Quote:
Realistically, what is JPM's honeymoon period at Duke? Does she get four years?

She gets five years to get to a NC game. After that, expect to hear some grumbling. We are not paying her to keep us in the national spotlight. We're paying her to help win us a national championship. Anything less than that is unacceptable, IMO.

Mathies to LA 2013
Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 07/17/07 6:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of all the Duke teams that got close, which one do you think was the best?

Then...if you really want to have fun...give me your Duke all-time starting 5, i.e. Beard, Currie, Harding, Tillis, Bales. I'm sure you have different names.

Does Duke retire/honor jersey #s? I never really looked in Cameron.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 07/17/07 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of all the Duke teams that got close, which one do you think was the best?

Good question. The best Duke team ever was the 2004 team, but they didn't even reach the FF. With that said, 2006 was the best Duke team that got close.

Quote:
Then...if you really want to have fun...give me your Duke all-time starting 5, i.e. Beard, Currie, Harding, Tillis, Bales. I'm sure you have different names.

Harding
Beard
Currie
Bales
Van Gorp

As you can see, there is a heavy slant towards the newer generation.

Quote:
Does Duke retire/honor jersey #s? I never really looked in Cameron.

Duke does retire the number of the player who wins a major individual national award. So far, Alana Beard is the only Duke woman to have her jersey retired.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: