RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mickie DeMoss to assist GG in Austin.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/03/07 7:57 pm    ::: Mickie DeMoss to assist GG in Austin. Reply Reply with quote

yup...
http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=33&url_article_id=6931&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 07/03/07 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That will probably end the UT-UT series.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
24duzitall

PostPosted: 07/03/07 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i read that a clause in her contract says she isn't allowed to coach without paying uk some big money. perhaps it was for a head coaching position but maybe not. anyone know?

PostPosted: 07/03/07 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a surprise...I figured MD would get back into coaching, but I didn't think it would be this year...

Grumps

~UK~

PostPosted: 07/04/07 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

24duzitall wrote:
i read that a clause in her contract says she isn't allowed to coach without paying uk some big money. perhaps it was for a head coaching position but maybe not. anyone know?

The contract reads: "If termination occurs because coach intends to accept any position with an NCAA Division I university or college, or any other position that places coach in direct competition with the University's women's basketball program, the coach will pay to the University liquidated damages in the amount of $200,000 for each year or portion of a year remaining under the agreement."

The contract does not clearly define how long DeMoss would have to be out of coaching before being allowed to return without having to pay the penalty.

That might be up to lawyers and courts to decide.

http://www.kentucky.com/232/story/114994.html

Last edited by ~UK~ on 07/04/07 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
~UK~

PostPosted: 07/04/07 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
This is a surprise...I figured MD would get back into coaching, but I didn't think it would be this year...

Grumps

Yep. So much for needing a break from coaching. Rolling Eyes A lot of UK fans will lose respect for her after this. Such a quick move back into coaching certaing lends more credence to the rumors as to why she left UK.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/04/07 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There *is* a difference between head coaching and assisting, is there not?

PostPosted: 07/04/07 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

The contract doesn't the type of coaching position. She should have read her contract a little closer. Idea

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/04/07 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Queenie wrote:

The contract doesn't the type of coaching position. She should have read her contract a little closer. Idea

I meant the people being surprised that she's getting back into coaching, contract stuff aside. I suspect the reason might be similar to the reason why Marianne Stanley might be the most overqualified assistant coach in college basketball- wants to be in the game and making decisions of some sort, but doesn't want the stress of being the head coach.

PostPosted: 07/04/07 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it also says "If termination occurs because coach..." because may be the out. they would have to prove that she intended to go to texas when she left... didn't gg go after she left uk?

PostPosted: 07/04/07 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This reminds me of when former Storm coach Lin Dunn said she was taking a break, then ended up as Indiana's assistant.

What's the real reason DeMoss left UK????

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
24duzitall

PostPosted: 07/04/07 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Grumps wrote:

Grumps

Yep. So much for needing a break from coaching. Rolling Eyes A lot of UK fans will lose respect for her after this. Such a quick move back into coaching certaing lends more credence to the rumors as to why she left UK.

so, what were the rumors?

PostPosted: 07/05/07 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

24duzitall wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Grumps wrote:

Grumps

Time to move on...no need to spread them any further.

24duzitall

PostPosted: 07/05/07 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
24duzitall wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Grumps wrote:

Grumps

if it is time to move on, why make statements like "Such a quick move back into coaching certaing lends more credence to the rumors as to why she left UK." ?

PostPosted: 07/05/07 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

24duzitall wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
24duzitall wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Grumps wrote:

Grumps

if it is time to move on, why make statements like "Such a quick move back into coaching certaing lends more credence to the rumors as to why she left UK." ?

I'm sorry. The latest is that Coach DeMoss was abducted by aliens, had Elvis' child and moved to Texas to work on her singing career while moonlighting as an Assistant Basktball coach. Shocked

Sass

PostPosted: 07/05/07 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since there's no money to be grabbed in NCAA ball, it has to have something to do with sex.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 07/05/07 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I meant the people being surprised that she's getting back into coaching, contract stuff aside. I suspect the reason might be similar to the reason why Marianne Stanley might be the most overqualified assistant coach in college basketball- wants to be in the game and making decisions of some sort, but doesn't want the stress of being the head coach.

I can imagine the stress of running the entire program is immense. But I'm sure that she couldn't stay away. And of course, being with Gail must be a plum job for her and a coup for GG.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 07/06/07 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
Since there's no money to be grabbed in NCAA ball, it has to have something to do with sex.

...and you know this how? Twisted Evil

StevenHW

PostPosted: 07/06/07 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's another opinion piece about the legal ramifications on Mickie's leaving UK for UTexas.

http://www.kentucky.com/285/story/116680.html

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 07/09/07 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Here's another opinion piece about the legal ramifications on Mickie's leaving UK for UTexas.

And this person makes some good points, but I don't think a settlement is really needed. Demoss has done too much for that women's program.

comet_fan_97

PostPosted: 07/09/07 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow....interesting....very interesting.....Carol Ross better not show up anywhere unless it's in the W or something....LOL

PostPosted: 07/09/07 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

comet_fan_97 wrote:
wow....interesting....very interesting.....Carol Ross better not show up anywhere unless it's in the W or something....LOL

Carol Ross' departure from Ole Miss was done with class. She had been up front with the administration about how long she'd been there and did not sign a contract extension last fall and get a $100K raise.

tennis2

PostPosted: 07/11/07 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:

the first thing I saw when someone posted part of the contract above was the word "intent"..................unless it can be proved she was out looking for another job or had been contacted prior to departure from this job or had told someone...friend etc that she was going to look for another job..........that might be hard to prove.....I don't think the facts surrounding when she took the texas job and when gg got the texas job would necessarily be conclusive...........again, it seems the consideration of whether she had looked at other positions, talked to other people, etc

i would guess that as far as "direct competition" ......it would seem likely that that has been determined in other situations.........it seems like a contractual term that would have been used before and thus has a common understanding in the industry

tennis2

PostPosted: 07/13/07 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

forgot to ask..........WHY can't OU go after someone of her quality for an assistant coach...............or close to her quality..................Coale has a lot of qualities needed to be head coach but she needs some assistants or an assistant to fill in where she is not as strong..........

ucbart

PostPosted: 07/13/07 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This makes DeMoss look like a sellout, IMO. She should never get a head coaching job again, because she just can't handle it. Plus, I think she is a shitty coach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: