RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

OU Women's BB Complete Endowment Program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swok34

PostPosted: 06/28/07 8:51 am    ::: OU Women's BB Complete Endowment Program Reply Reply with quote

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=193&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2534&ATCLID=944759

Do other programs have their scholarships fully endowed? Starting to endow scholarships?

beknighted

PostPosted: 06/28/07 9:49 am    ::: Re: OU Women's BB Complete Endowment Program Reply Reply with quote

swok34 wrote:
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=193&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2534&ATCLID=944759

Do other programs have their scholarships fully endowed? Starting to endow scholarships?

Very cool. Coincidentally, I saw an article yesterday about that said that Theresa Grentz raised the money to endow all of the scholarships at Illinois, but I don't know offhand of any other programs that have done that.

I know that at Rutgers, one of the scholarships is funded by money raised by the Cagers Club, but I don't think it's actually endowed.

sbjules

PostPosted: 06/28/07 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I know that at Rutgers, one of the scholarships is funded by money raised by the Cagers Club, but I don't think it's actually endowed.

The fastbreakers at UCSB donate funds to the women's program, but I don't think it is a directed donation. I think OU's endowment is really great. Not to be snarky, but how many pictures of Ms. Cole do they need on the web site?

DocSavage2001

PostPosted: 06/28/07 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read the article, but I don't really understand how endowed scholarships are different from regular scholarships? Is it because the fund comes from private investors rather than the school funds or something?

I remember being happy when Lafayette (my local team I watch every season) actually GOT women's basketball scholarships just last year. (3 of them.)

Doc

Grumps

PostPosted: 06/28/07 12:44 pm    ::: Re: OU Women's BB Complete Endowment Program Reply Reply with quote

swok34 wrote:

TN does...Not sure for how long but I read about it in a media guide I had a couple of years ago...Can't find the media guide now, but I believe they also have all fifteen scholarships endowed...I guess the endowment fund just grows in years that you don't use all the scholarships...

Grumps

Grumps

PostPosted: 06/28/07 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DocSavage2001 wrote:
I read the article, but I don't really understand how endowed scholarships are different from regular scholarships? Is it because the fund comes from private investors rather than the school funds or something?

Doc

With endowed scholarships, whatever amount of money it takes to endow a scholarship, is put in an investment fund and the money earned actually pays for the scholarship each year...The amount of money that it would take to endow a scholarship would vary from school to school depending on the cost of admission to that school...

At least I think thats how it works... Very Happy

Grumps

sbjules

PostPosted: 06/28/07 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
At least I think thats how it works...

Grumps

Me too, Grumps Very Happy

gopher5

PostPosted: 06/28/07 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota currently has seven endowed scholarships. I think two or three are from the booster club (and the others are from donors (most who are members of the booster club).

They are working toward having all 15 scholarships endowed.

http://www.gophersports.com/pdf3/60573.pdf?SPSID=43082&SPID=3303&DB_OEM_ID=8400

Grumps

PostPosted: 06/28/07 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only info I could find on the TN website lists 21 scholarships available for WBB...The info is old as it has the 2005-2006 recipients listed...Only 8 of the ones listed say endowments, but I am pretty sure I read in the media guide that they had 15...I did notice that most of the players weren't listed next to the ones that say endowment, so those endowments should grow...Hey they even have an endowment for Smokey the mascot...

http://utladyvols.cstv.com/ot/scholarships.html

It's too bad some of this unused basketball money can't be used for other sports, but that's the way it is...

Grumps

lola528

PostPosted: 06/28/07 5:12 pm    ::: :: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue has 88 endowed athletic scholarships this year. Five were endowed specifically for women's basketball. Some of the others were endowed specifically for a particular sport (football and men's basketball, volleyball, golf, tennis, swimming and diving), and the rest are available to be awarded to athletes in any sport, as I understand it.

At the Awards Banquet last April, they told what player had which endowed scholarship, and IIRC, there were like 8 or 9 on last year's team who had endowed scholarships. Of course, last year's team only had like 10 players! If I had that kind of money, I would do it. When I looked at the list of those who endowed the scholarships, I saw that two scholarships were endowed by people I graduated from high school with. And another of my HS classmates founded and is president of C-SPAN. And then here I am... Very Happy

swok34

PostPosted: 06/29/07 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DocSavage2001 wrote:

I remember being happy when Lafayette (my local team I watch every season) actually GOT women's basketball scholarships just last year. (3 of them.)

Doc

It "frees" up the money that it allocated to women's basketball by the university and takes steps to making the women's basketball program self-sufficient or even looking like it makes a profit, of which few programs do. Aren't only Tennessee and Connecticut the two programs whose women's BB program actually make money?

At OU, I think the donation is $200,000 to endow a scholarship, but I may be mistaken.

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/29/07 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DocSavage2001 wrote:

Doc

Lafayette? From the Patriot League? Damn, the Patriot League is really cracking on that whole no-schollies thing. Makes me sad.

PostPosted: 07/05/07 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In 2004-5 Tenn had 15 fully endowed schollies for wbb,7 others endowed that are used for wbb related items(awards such as rings,1st class travel,olympic trials ,5th year player expenses,etc),76 endowed or named and partially endowed for other womens sports( softball,swimming/diving,rowing,soccer,volleyball,golf,track,training,cheerleading) plus 20 deferred giving plans benefitting womens sports.

DocSavage2001

PostPosted: 07/17/07 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
DocSavage2001 wrote:

Doc

Lafayette? From the Patriot League? Damn, the Patriot League is really cracking on that whole no-schollies thing. Makes me sad.

Yes, that Lafayette. Did/does the Patriot League have a no-scholarship policy? I wasn't aware of that!

Doc

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/17/07 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DocSavage2001 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
DocSavage2001 wrote:

Doc

Yes, that Lafayette. Did/does the Patriot League have a no-scholarship policy? I wasn't aware of that!

Doc

They did at the git-go, in order to match the Ivy League, but they started changing it... I guess about seven years ago at this point? Read "The Last Amateurs" by John Feinstein. It's about the men's teams, but it's a fascinating read.

/threadjack

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: