RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Law Hires Three Assistant Coaches
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 06/17/07 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, not everyone wants to be a HEAD coach.....Cal's own Joanne Boyle said she would have been content to be an assistant at Duke for her entire career--until she had a change of heart after her brush with mortality--but I can still understand certain coaches prefer to remain in the assistant role.....it's no knock on Stanford that they don't spawn head coaches....who cares? They have had a winning program for two decades and I'm very happy to have a coach join Cal who was part of that winning program....Illinois should be as well.

As for figuring the local talent thing out, I'm sure she will do just fine.....

Sec310

PostPosted: 06/17/07 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
Also, not everyone wants to be a HEAD coach.....Cal's own Joanne Boyle said she would have been content to be an assistant at Duke for her entire career--until she had a change of heart after her brush with mortality--but I can still understand certain coaches prefer to remain in the assistant role.....it's no knock on Stanford that they don't spawn head coaches....who cares? They have had a winning program for two decades and I'm very happy to have a coach join Cal who was part of that winning program....Illinois should be as well.

Well Boyle left a great job at Duke for a mid major program that didn't do much before she got there. SOOO things do change and assistant coaches may want to be head coaches.

Also even if Karen didn't want to be a head coach, the fact she hasn't been mentioned for any head coaching job tells me something.

Who cares if Stanford doesn't spawn head coaches? It looks like AD's care since they haven't hired a Stanford assistant or former player at the D-1 level in a long time. It's something that has to be taken into consideration.

beknighted

PostPosted: 06/17/07 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
By the way, I don't think we should rule out Tasha Pointer yet. She is off of Xavier's website. Maybe she will fill one of the two positions left.

There's still some speculation that she'll be going to Rutgers, but I don't know if there's any actual basis for it. There is an opening, after all.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 06/17/07 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sec310 wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:

Well Boyle left a great job at Duke for a mid major program that didn't do much before she got there. SOOO things do change and assistant coaches may want to be head coaches.

Also even if Karen didn't want to be a head coach, the fact she hasn't been mentioned for any head coaching job tells me something.

Who cares if Stanford doesn't spawn head coaches? It looks like AD's care since they haven't hired a Stanford assistant or former player at the D-1 level in a long time. It's something that has to be taken into consideration.

Yeah, but my point is that sometimes folks make it known they are NOT interested in becoming head coaches, hence no one "considers" them for the job....

Anyway, I'm not here to argue about it....Good luck to Illinois in whatever the next/new season may bring! Surprised

bullsky

PostPosted: 06/17/07 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
Anyway, I'm not here to argue about it....Good luck to Illinois in whatever the next/new season may bring! Surprised

Thanks! I'm excited about what the Law Era will bring. Smile

PostPosted: 06/17/07 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
Sec310 wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:

Yeah, but my point is that sometimes folks make it known they are NOT interested in becoming head coaches, hence no one "considers" them for the job....

Gale Valley, for example.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 06/17/07 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sec310 wrote:
...Also can you name me a coach, other than Charlie, who either played under or coached under Queen Tara and has been a successful D-1 head coach? Trisha Stevens? Nope, Fired at Boise St.

Tara is probably thinking: "Well, excuuuuuse me...that Stanford is a not head coaching factory in women's basketball!" Very Happy

There's been a few Stanford ex-players who have gone into collegiate coaching as a head coach, but not at the D-1 level.

Olympia Scott was the head coach at William Smith College, a D-3 school in Geneva, NY, for one winning season, and abruptly resigned after her Sacramento Monarchs won the 2005 WNBA Finals. Katy Steding is currently the head coach at a small Christian school called Warner Pacific College, but they are part of the NAIA, and not the NCAA. Molly Goodenbour just had a stormy first year as head coach at Chico State, but that's a D-2 school.

Since we're talking about Stanford here, I'm suprised why Jennifer Azzi has never been a coach at any level.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 06/17/07 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Sec310 wrote:
...Also can you name me a coach, other than Charlie, who either played under or coached under Queen Tara and has been a successful D-1 head coach? Trisha Stevens? Nope, Fired at Boise St.

Tara is probably thinking: "Well, excuuuuuse me...that Stanford is a not head coaching factory in women's basketball!" Very Happy

There's been a few Stanford ex-players who have gone into collegiate coaching as a head coach, but not at the D-1 level.

Olympia Scott was the head coach at William Smith College, a D-3 school in Geneva, NY, for one winning season, and abruptly resigned after her Sacramento Monarchs won the 2005 WNBA Finals. Katy Steding is currently the head coach at a small Christian school called Warner Pacific College, but they are part of the NAIA, and not the NCAA. Molly Goodenbour just had a stormy first year as head coach at Chico State, but that's a D-2 school.

Since we're talking about Stanford here, I'm suprised why Jennifer Azzi has never been a coach at any level.

speaking of Azzi, she recently bought a house in Marin (North of SF) most expensive real estate in CA.

here's a short story on her in our local news after she named to bay area hall of fame

http://www.ktvu.com/bashof/12822939/detail.html

Sec310

PostPosted: 06/18/07 5:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Sec310 wrote:

The Queen should be asking why she hasn't gone to the Final Four since 97 or 98. It's been so long ago, with many great players coming through the program. But I'm sure the Queen's followers will make excuses like King got hurt, the foul vs LSU, etc etc.

What do you mean by a stormy first year at Chico St? I know one of their star player wanted to transfer to Pacific, where the former Chico St is now the head coach.

insidewinder

PostPosted: 06/18/07 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sec310 wrote:

The Queen should be asking why she hasn't gone to the Final Four since 97 or 98. It's been so long ago, with many great players coming through the program. But I'm sure the Queen's followers will make excuses like King got hurt, the foul vs LSU, etc etc.

What do you mean by a stormy first year at Chico St? I know one of their star player wanted to transfer to Pacific, where the former Chico St is now the head coach.

Wow, blast from the past. Hi, Battyfan! lol lol lol The Queen, huh? You need a new shtick.

Sec310

PostPosted: 06/20/07 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

insidewinder wrote:
Sec310 wrote:

Wow, blast from the past. Hi, Battyfan! lol lol lol The Queen, huh? You need a new shtick.

Oh great one of the Queen's subjects. Hey still waiting for a trip to the Final Four!!! BTW I am still on the Stanford board. You just don't know it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: