RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Law Hires Three Assistant Coaches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 06/14/07 7:32 pm    ::: Law Hires Three Assistant Coaches Reply Reply with quote

http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/061407aad.html

Quote:
First-year University of Illinois women's basketball coach Jolette Law now has a big part her first coaching staff in place with the hiring of three assistant coaches on Thursday. Law is pleased to announce the hiring of Karen Middleton, Tamika Louis and Patrick Klein as assistant coaches.

PostPosted: 06/14/07 8:32 pm    ::: Re: Law Hires Three Assistant Coaches Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/061407aad.html

Quote:
First-year University of Illinois women's basketball coach Jolette Law now has a big part her first coaching staff in place with the hiring of three assistant coaches on Thursday. Law is pleased to announce the hiring of Karen Middleton, Tamika Louis and Patrick Klein as assistant coaches.

Middleton is off to Illinois? That is good for Law, bad for Stanford. But I guess that's the game. Good luck to her.

beknighted

PostPosted: 06/14/07 10:33 pm    ::: Re: Law Hires Three Assistant Coaches Reply Reply with quote

I'm just glad she didn't hire anyone from the RU staff.

bullsky

PostPosted: 06/15/07 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love the hires, especially Middleton. Things are really moving up...

PostPosted: 06/15/07 11:59 am    ::: Go Illini! Reply Reply with quote

Hurray for the hires !!! Looking forward to a great season and future for the orange and blue. Gonna have to make the trip to Champaign regularly for games now.

PostPosted: 06/15/07 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How is hiring Middleton as an assistant going to help the Illini get Illinois players to stay home? She's been at Stanford the past ten years. Before that she was at Eastern Washington. And before that she was at South Carolina. What kind of contacts does she have in Illinois? Hell even the mid-west. I can't remember more than 1-2 players at Stanford who came from Illinois.

miatamama

PostPosted: 06/15/07 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach Law is going to get the Illinois players to play at Illinois. She's the recruiter--not the Stanford transplant.

I trust in LAW. She's going to get the job done.

PostPosted: 06/15/07 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect Middleton to first work on player development. Working with players like Powell, Wiggins, and Harmon just shows how much she's helped that program. I think she could help Bjork and the other guards.

I don't expect her to make a huge impact recruiting wise to start, but she could learn the area and help in that aspect.

PostPosted: 06/15/07 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
I expect Middleton to first work on player development. Working with players like Powell, Wiggins, and Harmon just shows how much she's helped that program. I think she could help Bjork and the other guards.

I don't expect her to make a huge impact recruiting wise to start, but she could learn the area and help in that aspect.

Law and Middleton are friends because of their interactions on the recruiting road. Karen spent 10 years as the 2nd assistant where she and Amy Tucker, Associate Head Coach for Stanford, split the country in half. Each had their own areas and responsiblities. Karen not only can spot, and develop talent, but she is also a great recruiter and helped get kids into a top program with the toughest academic requirements.(yes, over Duke, Purdue, ND, Vandy). She will be great. I will miss her.

Sec310

PostPosted: 06/15/07 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:

Did you miss this part of Middleton's bio?

Karen Middleton enters her first season as an assistant coach for the Fighting Illini in 2007-08. Hired on June 14, 2007, Middleton will serve as the recruiting coordinator and will also play a big role in scouting, academic progress, scheduling and developing the Fighting Illini guards, as well as many other day-to-day duties.

Sec310

PostPosted: 06/15/07 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

Law and Middleton are friends because of their interactions on the recruiting road. Karen spent 10 years as the 2nd assistant where she and Amy Tucker, Associate Head Coach for Stanford, split the country in half. Each had their own areas and responsiblities. Karen not only can spot, and develop talent, but she is also a great recruiter

Really? What players have improved at Stanford from their freshmen year to their senior year? A very strong case could me made that many players never developed into AA and/or lived up to HS rankings.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 06/15/07 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miatamama wrote:
Coach Law is going to get the Illinois players to play at Illinois. She's the recruiter--not the Stanford transplant.

I trust in LAW. She's going to get the job done.

I agree with you. Law will get it done and with Middleton in there, they've got all bases covered. I'm sure it will take time to develop the relationships in their own backyard but just having Law there, will probably be an exciting things for a lot of players who would be interested in staying in their local area.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 06/15/07 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good luck to Middleton at Illinois.

And what's up with the Stanford coaching defections these days? First, Charmin Smith left Stanford to take an assistant job across the bay at U.C. Berkeley a few months ago, and now Middleton.

Still, they did hire former Stanford player Bobbie Kelsey from Virginia Tech a few days ago.

(click below):
http://www.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/stories/061207aah.html

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 06/15/07 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:

And what's up with the Stanford coaching defections these days? First, Charmin Smith left Stanford to take an assistant job across the bay at U.C. Berkeley a few months ago, and now Middleton.

Still, they did hire former Stanford player Bobbie Kelsey from Virginia Tech a few days ago.

(click below):

Charmin went for more responsiblities and $. She was a 3rd assistant at Stanford making no money and going to Cal as 2nd assistant getting twice as much as money. It is very difficult to live in the bay area what she was making at Stanford.

Karen may have just needed a change. 10 yrs at one place is long time. But Champaign is way different from Palo Alto. As I said, she and Law are friends.

And let's see, the guards Karen worked with and developed in her 10 yrs included King, Carey, Powell, Sumunski, Wiggins, Hones, Gold Onwude to name a few.

bullsky

PostPosted: 06/15/07 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sec310 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

Karen Middleton enters her first season as an assistant coach for the Fighting Illini in 2007-08. Hired on June 14, 2007, Middleton will serve as the recruiting coordinator and will also play a big role in scouting, academic progress, scheduling and developing the Fighting Illini guards, as well as many other day-to-day duties.

I did miss that, but I still see her being an asset.

PostPosted: 06/16/07 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Stanford will be fine....they lost some good coaches due to career aspirations, which is to be expected.....

It's also going to be exciting to see Illinois become competitive again....the more, the merrier!

Sec310

PostPosted: 06/16/07 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Sec310 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

I also think Karen will be an asset. BUT one of the biggest knocks on TG was that she didn't keep in state kids, home. So I would figure that Law would hire somebody who had more experience coach/recruiting in Illinois. So it was surprising to see Karen named recruiting coordinator. Not that she can't learn and become an asset.

Sec310

PostPosted: 06/16/07 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

(click below):

And let's see, the guards Karen worked with and developed in her 10 yrs included King, Carey, Powell, Sumunski, Wiggins, Hones, Gold Onwude to name a few.

Aside from Powell and Wiggins, both coming in as a top recruits, who else was an AA? Yeah that's what I thought.

chAirJordan

PostPosted: 06/16/07 4:45 pm    ::: Coach Frese Reply Reply with quote

Does that mean Marsha Frese is gone for good?

bullsky

PostPosted: 06/16/07 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By the way, I don't think we should rule out Tasha Pointer yet. She is off of Xavier's website. Maybe she will fill one of the two positions left.

PostPosted: 06/16/07 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sec310 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
Sec310 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

I also think Karen will be an asset. BUT one of the biggest knocks on TG was that she didn't keep in state kids, home. So I would figure that Law would hire somebody who had more experience coach/recruiting in Illinois. So it was surprising to see Karen named recruiting coordinator. Not that she can't learn and become an asset.

what are you talking about? "Learn" after she was a national recruiter at a program and school better than U of I, and most Big 10 schools? What is she suppose to learn?

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 06/16/07 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sec310 wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

(click below):

Aside from Powell and Wiggins, both coming in as a top recruits, who else was an AA? Yeah that's what I thought.

go back and do your research. King and Carey were both top 5 pg in their class. Injuries set them back, but they both finished their careers quite well. Yamasaki's class was also ranked 5.

Sec310

PostPosted: 06/17/07 3:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
Sec310 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
Sec310 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

what are you talking about? "Learn" after she was a national recruiter at a program and school better than U of I, and most Big 10 schools? What is she suppose to learn?

Again I ask, what players from the state of Illinois did Karen bring to Stanford? Yeah that's what I thought. King was from Minn. I'm sure there maybe one or two other players from Big 10 country that went to Stanford during Karen's time there but that's hardly anything great.

She has to learn how to get Illinois kids to stay home. She needs to make contact with Illinois, AAU and HS coaches. At Stanford it was "easy" to recruit in terms of the Stanford name. Yes they had a much smaller recruiting base because of their academics. Karen will have to learn why Illinois kids were leaving the state to play college basketball and how to change that.

Sec310

PostPosted: 06/17/07 3:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
Sec310 wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

(click below):

go back and do your research. King and Carey were both top 5 pg in their class. Injuries set them back, but they both finished their careers quite well. Yamasaki's class was also ranked 5.

You need to do your research since other than Powell and Wiggins, none of the players you named were college AA. So how exactly did Karen develop players at Stanford?

BTW if Karen was so damn good, why hasn't she gotten any head coaching offers? While the third assistant before Charmin, Julie R, got the head coaching job at Pepperdine? Yes part of that is because Julie is black. But there were many openings on the West Coast the past 2-3 years and Karen was never mentioned for any of them?

Also can you name me a coach, other than Charlie, who either played under or coached under Queen Tara and has been a successful D-1 head coach? Trisha Stevens? Nope, Fired at Boise St.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 06/17/07 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sec310 wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
Sec310 wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

(click below):

You need to do your research since other than Powell and Wiggins, none of the players you named were college AA. So how exactly did Karen develop players at Stanford?

BTW if Karen was so damn good, why hasn't she gotten any head coaching offers? While the third assistant before Charmin, Julie R, got the head coaching job at Pepperdine? Yes part of that is because Julie is black. But there were many openings on the West Coast the past 2-3 years and Karen was never mentioned for any of them?

Also can you name me a coach, other than Charlie, who either played under or coached under Queen Tara and has been a successful D-1 head coach? Trisha Stevens? Nope, Fired at Boise St.

Oh, now I get it. You have an agenda/issue was Tara, not Karen.
Dude, Karen didn't want to leave until now.

I was talking about talking about AAs, but top recruits. I am sure King and Carey would have AAs had it not been for yrs of injuries.

Most players at Stanford go into other fields besides coaching. Charmin has a Masters in Engineering and worked in the field before going to bball.

Law was a long time assistant as was Karen, both great programs and schools. I am imagine they will compliment each other very well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: