RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee not playing UConn anymore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/25/07 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
The only time I have mentioned your name on another board was in a thread on the Summitt on 6-15-07 which was a week before your post in this thread...I guess I have ESPN to be able to respond to you a week before your post... Shocked What I said on the Summitt was in reply to other posters who couldn't believe how two faced you are...If you want to refute what I said, by all means go over there and do so...

Grumps

And you still did not respond to the substance of my post. Feel free to do that any time now.

I asked you politely, and you wouldn't respond. I asked you not-so-politely, and you wouldn't respond. Again, the FACTS must clearly bother you, which could explain your reluctance to respond.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/25/07 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one said it wasn't Pat's decision to make or that she couldn't make it (at least I have seen anyone say this).

But the fact TN fans continue to gloss over that while it may have been a good decision for Pat and Tennessee, it may not have been a good decision for the sport of women's college basketball in the short term, given the teams have won 9 out of the last 13 titles, a combined 12 national titles, and are the two most recognized programs (with the two most recognized coaches) in all of women's basketball. While there is talk about developing new rivalries, there is no rivalry in women's hoops currently on the scale of UConn-Tennessee, given the history and stature of the respective programs.

Again, no one said Pat did not have the right to cancel the game. Pat is under no obligation to play UConn or any other team for that matter. She can set her own schedule however she sees fit, just as any coach. It is her decision, and she has that right. But that doesn't change the fact it is a big loss for women's basketball as a sport. Not that Pat owed it to the sport to play the game...just that the loss of the series is not great for WCBB in the short-term.

Grumps

PostPosted: 06/25/07 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
And you still did not respond to the substance of my post. Feel free to do that any time now.

Why, I posted what I heard...Right, wrong, or indifferent I feel no need to argue with you what I heard...

Quote:
Again, the FACTS must clearly bother you, which could explain your reluctance to respond.

No they don't bother me and thank you for telling me how I should feel...

Quote:
Then again, if you actually READ my comments, since you didn't before you posted on the Summitt and actually had a shred of any ability to look at things objectively and engage in reading comprehension, we wouldn't be here.

I read your comments, decided not to reply...My reading comprhension is fine...And you are a fine one to talk about looking at things objectively...We wouldn't be here if I hadn't taken the bait, so that's my bad...

Grumps

beknighted

PostPosted: 06/25/07 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
. . . it may not have been a good decision for the sport of women's college basketball in the short term, given the teams . . . are the two most recognized programs (with the two most recognized coaches) in all of women's basketball.

Just a thought, but maybe after the Imus thing, Rutgers and CVS might be closer to the company of the other two than we might previously have believed. You'd think a certain number of people would tune in to an RU game to see what all the fuss was about.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/25/07 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
I read your comments, decided not to reply...My reading comprhension is fine...And you are a fine one to talk about looking at things objectively...We wouldn't be here if I hadn't taken the bait, so that's my bad...

Grumps

THERE WAS NO BAIT. I asked a question. I posted the FACTS. I asked for clarification. Why is this so difficult???????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited by CamrnCrz1974 on 06/25/07 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/25/07 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
. . . it may not have been a good decision for the sport of women's college basketball in the short term, given the teams . . . are the two most recognized programs (with the two most recognized coaches) in all of women's basketball.

Just a thought, but maybe after the Imus thing, Rutgers and CVS might be closer to the company of the other two than we might previously have believed. You'd think a certain number of people would tune in to an RU game to see what all the fuss was about.

I don't see it. Rutgers doesn't have five national titles, every home game televised, and the highest television ratings on ESPN and ESPN2 for women's basketball. That might work at the beginning of the year, but as the season goes on, new stories may emerge...or the Imus issue may become played out, depending on how often Rutgers is on television (and how often it is discussed).

Last edited by CamrnCrz1974 on 06/25/07 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/25/07 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will post, for the third time, my request for additional information:

Quote:
The allegation about [a house being bought for Maya Moore's mother] came from a poster on the Summitt. No one questioned the poster. A few years ago, a poster on the Summitt claimed Duke had committed a recruiting violation and was under investigation. It wasn't true, yet everyone believed it. A few years ago on the Summitt, a poster claimed Tasha Humphrey was pregnant. It wasn't true, yet it spread like wildfire...to the point where the Georgia SID had to step in. And, to be fair, not everyone who posts on the Summitt is primarily a TN fan...the board has posters from fans of other schools (one of whom was the one who postd the rumor about Duke).

I have not seen any place other than the Summitt where the allegation about the house appeared. Let me know if I am mistaken, Grumps, but I am pretty sure that was the only place I saw the house allegation.

The bold text contains my request to provide additional information. If anyone can answer the question, feel free to post.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 06/26/07 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't see it. Rutgers doesn't have five national titles, every home game televised, and the highest television ratings on ESPN and ESPN2 for women's basketball.

1. It's Knoxville, they have nothing else to televise.
2. Maryland and Duke, I believe, achieved the highest rated game.[/quote]

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/26/07 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:

I think the complaint had a little more to do with the purchase of a house for Maya'a mom, but there is no way a UConn paper would try to dig into that...

Grumps

This was your statement. It appears you were being pretty factual in what you wrote. How about some backup? I had not heard this, but I don't read the Summitt either.

Grumps

PostPosted: 06/26/07 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Grumps wrote:

I think the complaint had a little more to do with the purchase of a house for Maya'a mom, but there is no way a UConn paper would try to dig into that...

Grumps

This was your statement. It appears you were being pretty factual in what you wrote. How about some backup? I had not heard this, but I don't read the Summitt either.

Don't have any backup...Just repeated what I had heard...And while it was on the Summitt, I did hear it elsewhere from someone that I know and trust and I will leave it at that...So for now lets just say that it is another rumor...Lord knows rumors don't get passed along as fact all the time...

Grumps

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/26/07 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
Don't have any backup...Just repeated what I had heard...And while it was on the Summitt, I did hear it elsewhere from someone that I know and trust and I will leave it at that...So for now lets just say that it is another rumor...Lord knows rumors don't get passed along as fact all the time...

And that was the question I asked over 20 posts ago...

beknighted

PostPosted: 06/26/07 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I don't see it. Rutgers doesn't have five national titles, every home game televised, and the highest television ratings on ESPN and ESPN2 for women's basketball. That might work at the beginning of the year, but as the season goes on, new stories may emerge...or the Imus issue may become played out, depending on how often Rutgers is on television (and how often it is discussed).

On the other hand, when was the last time that UConn was on Larry King Live and Oprah?

Rutgers apparently will be on television a lot this year, by the way, starting with the opener at home against Stanford. (This assumes the various bits of intelligence people have pieced together are correct.)

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/26/07 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
On the other hand, when was the last time that UConn was on Larry King Live and Oprah?

Rutgers apparently will be on television a lot this year, by the way, starting with the opener at home against Stanford. (This assumes the various bits of intelligence people have pieced together are correct.)

That doesn't necessarily translate into viewers. It's not like the Mercury developed more fans when Lisa Harrison toyed with the idea of Playboy and was doing national interviews on the matter.

Being on television a lot? Rutgers will have less than half its games televised; UConn has every game televised. When was the last time Rutgers had a regular season game discussed on SportsCenter? That happens to UConn all the time.

PRballer

PostPosted: 06/26/07 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa Harrison and Playboy also didn't merit the reaction and national consumer media focus and attention in the same way or manner that the Rutgers situation did. Stringer & Co. have continually been in the press - the New York press, in their own backyard - since Imus' comments and although we have yet to see the kind of impact that will have on season ticket sales, I would venture to say that with an already pretty strong fanbase at Rutgers, a National Championship Game appearance and a top OOC schedule for 07-08, we'll have lots of fans tuning into alleged the rematch game in Knoxville next February.

It's not Pat Summitt's divine assignment to "grow the game" for everybody else. Vivian Stringer is in the top-tier of WCBB coaches and has been for a while. And while she's not Pat or Geno by any stretch, after this Imus fiasco, I would estimate she's the closest thing to "household name coach" name this sport has. UConn and Tennessee will play again, and it will greatly benefit the sport of women's basketball as a highly anticipated match-up (well, especially after these rumors, accusations, and non-comments). Until that game happens, or until we can see some of short-term impact, why can't folks we just let it go?

My feeling is that Tennessee, Connecticut, and women's college basketball in general will be just fine when it is all said and done.

beknighted

PostPosted: 06/26/07 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Being on television a lot? Rutgers will have less than half its games televised; UConn has every game televised.

So sorry - I should have said "national television." (And Rutgers actually had half of its regular season games televised last year, including 5 games on ESPN2 and 1 on ESPN U. I would guess that percentage would increase next season. (UConn had the CBS game, 4 on ESPN2 and 1 on ESPNU.))

For what it's worth, I don't think the Lisa Harrison story got even a tenth of the play of Rutgers-Imus. (Actually, make that one fiftieth.) It certainly wasn't national news for a solid week, and she didn't end up on the cover of Newsweek.

I'm not thrilled the Tennessee-UConn series is ending, either, but I don't think it's a tragedy. I continue to be a little bit surprised by the vehement reactions.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/26/07 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
It's not Pat Summitt's divine assignment to "grow the game" for everybody else. Vivian Stringer is in the top-tier of WCBB coaches and has been for a while. And while she's not Pat or Geno by any stretch, after this Imus fiasco, I would estimate she's the closest thing to "household name coach" name this sport has.

You're kidding yourself if you think the casual sports fan knows who CViv is. They know it was the Rutgers women's team; they do not know the coach's name, just like they don't know the names of any of the playres.

My point about Harrison, which many failed to grasp, is that attention off the court does NOT necessarily translate to bigger interest as to what is on the court. And you also fail to consider the backlash...many do not believe Imus deserved to be fired for what he said (and you can include me in that group).

PRballer

PostPosted: 06/26/07 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, I think I got your point. My point is that we'll just have to wait and see the impact of what happpened with Imus/Rutgers (and by impact, I mean in-arena attendance and TV audience) - and my guess is that more people, especially in the media market that is New York/New Jersey, will tune into Rutgers next season. A lot of fans do know who Vivian is. I would say she's #3 in terms of successful, active WCBB coaches who have a large presence in both the national media and their school's home state/region.

So, I guess I'm trying to make the point that WCBB is not doomed and over with.

Grumps

PostPosted: 06/26/07 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Being on television a lot? Rutgers will have less than half its games televised; UConn has every game televised. When was the last time Rutgers had a regular season game discussed on SportsCenter? That happens to UConn all the time.

While that statement is true it is a little misleading...Not everyone has CT PBS...I saw more, (pick about any ACC team), on tv last year than I did UConn...UConn had 8 reg season games last year that could be seen nationally and 1 of those was on ESPNU, which a lot of people don't have and 2 were on CSTV...4 games on ESPN2 and 1 on CBS...

Rutgers had a total of 9 games that could be seen nationally. 5 on ESPN2, 1 on ESPNU, 2 on CSTV, and 1 on Comcast Sorts Net (not sure if that is national or not, I don't get it)...If the Comcast game isn't national then it looks to me like the majority of the country got to see Rutgers about the same as UConn...

Grumps

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/26/07 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
No, I think I got your point. My point is that we'll just have to wait and see the impact of what happpened with Imus/Rutgers (and by impact, I mean in-arena attendance and TV audience) - and my guess is that more people, especially in the media market that is New York/New Jersey, will tune into Rutgers next season. A lot of fans do know who Vivian is. I would say she's #3 in terms of successful, active WCBB coaches who have a large presence in both the national media and their school's home state/region.

So, I guess I'm trying to make the point that WCBB is not doomed and over with.

Casual sports fans who don't follow WCBB? No, they don't know who she is.

No one said the sport was doomed. But it certainly isn't good for the sport in the short term.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/26/07 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
While that statement is true it is a little misleading...

So does this mean you are now baiting? Laughing

Grumps

PostPosted: 06/26/07 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Grumps wrote:
While that statement is true it is a little misleading...

So does this mean you are now baiting? Laughing

No, I am being factual... Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: