RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee not playing UConn anymore
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SportsPageMike

PostPosted: 06/08/07 4:29 pm    ::: Tennessee not playing UConn anymore Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee not playing UConn anymore

A Statement From UConn Director of Athletics Jeff Hathaway Regarding The UConn-Tennessee Women’s Basketball Series MORE.....

http://www.spmsportspage.com/published/pr/a-statement-from-uconn-di.shtml

PostPosted: 06/08/07 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Knock me over with a feather.

PostPosted: 06/08/07 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow Shocked this is unreal. Why did Tennessee Punk out? did they not win the last what 3 meetings between the schools? Is Pat that bitter about not getting Maya? Shame.

Captain Marvel

PostPosted: 06/08/07 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From Richard Deitsch at SI.com:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/06/08/uconn.tennessee/index.html

MadDog22

PostPosted: 06/08/07 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Pat sees Texas as the next great WCBB power and wants that series in the spotlight instead....

I think it's okay they don't meet in the regular season. If they are 2 of the best teams, let them meet in the Final Four where it really counts!

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 06/08/07 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This has sour grapes re: recruiting written all over it. If so, it's pretty sad that the sport's defining rivalry has ended after 12 years of games.

I'm going to miss the annual clashing of Orange & Blue...

Next season's battle in February was to serve as the main event for the debut of ESPN's women's basketball Game Day

Crying or Very sad

cferraro04

PostPosted: 06/08/07 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it is over a single recruit then I think it is petty....especially given the fact that they have both lost recruits to each other over the years. I believe tha a SEC school floated a rumor that UConn engaged in some sort of recruiting violation... I remember hearing it last season right around tournament time...then I haven't heard anything since... I have to say that it appears that there is bad blood between the two athletic depts. UConn saying that this is the only comment they will make on the subject and Tennessee saying they will not comment on their schedule to the end of July.

Either way I am greatly saddened that the best rivalry in WCBB has to come to an end...over what appears to be petty stuff...unless there is more to the story than we know. I don't see where this helps WCBB grow...

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/08/07 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But, Pat will play any team anywhere.

cferraro04

PostPosted: 06/08/07 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The CT Post artilcle regarding this issue is no longer on line...could this be a prank?

jimmyk

PostPosted: 06/08/07 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good. That game was overrated anyway.

Grumps

PostPosted: 06/08/07 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow that sucks...All that mooing practice I have done is all for naught now... Very Happy

Guess we will have to wait till fall to find out who replaces the Blue Whorde... Sad

Grumps

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 06/08/07 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
But, Pat will play any team anywhere.

Laughing

There def. seems to be bad blood though...

1. It is said that UConn was informed earlier this month that the series was finished.

2. UConn chose the WBHOF weekend to announce it.

3. UConn said that this will be their final statement on the matter.

4. There's a certain 2008 player from Delaware who is up for grabs & has both TN & UConn on her list.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 06/08/07 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everybody recruits the same players. If you are a top player both Uconn and Tenn are going to recruit that player. Fucking grow up. This was one of your best draws on national network television. Even ESPN would do a lot more with this match than most.

I just think if Pat really wanted this game to happen she would have a huge say in this. But it seems like she must be crying too.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/08/07 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked

PostPosted: 06/08/07 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, I'm stunned. Shocked

Looking forward to seeing if they talk about the reasoning in July.

auntie

PostPosted: 06/08/07 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am surprised. Perhaps part of Pat's thinking is that there are many more good teams out there. Or maybe she doesn't appreciate the fine points of the great state of Connecticut.

I would suggest a game at a neutral site, such as the Madison Square Garden.

PostPosted: 06/08/07 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

auntie wrote:
I am surprised. Perhaps part of Pat's thinking is that there are many more good teams out there. Or maybe she doesn't appreciate the fine points of the great state of Connecticut.

You may be on to something here. That's the last word we heard from Pat on this game...she wanted it to be held at MSG...and Geno nixed the idea, for $$ reasons and because it meant that UConn fans would HAVE to travel.

hate less, love more;
and all good things are yours.
Swedish Proverb
deanjet

PostPosted: 06/08/07 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm disappointed the series is over, but I can understand the decision if it is about moving the game to February. I'm not saying it is, but it has been widely speculated that ESPN wanted the game to be played in February. That's very late for a non-conference game.

After defeating LSU in a Monday night matchup, Tennessee nearly lost to an Arkansas team that only won 3 conference games. The LSU game was moved for television and it was very apparent they were tired. It would have been a terrible loss that probably would have cost them a #1 seed.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/08/07 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AnnieM wrote:
auntie wrote:

You may be on to something here. That's the last word we heard from Pat on this game...she wanted it to be held at MSG...and Geno nixed the idea, for $$ reasons and because it meant that UConn fans would HAVE to travel.

this makes no sense.

PostPosted: 06/08/07 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear this, as it's always an interesting game (not to mention an interesting week leading up to the game).

That said, I'm not sure there are too many non-conference series that have gone this long without a break, and a pretty fair number of the games were very good. It was a pretty remarkable run.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 06/08/07 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Life goes on. This game isn't necessary anymore to assert the competitiveness of wcbb or to draw casual viewers. That's a good thing.

PostPosted: 06/08/07 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surprising and extremely disappointing, I'm sure for the ladies on both teams as well. I can't believe Pat wouldn't want to continue with the biggest rivalry in WBB as she's always stressed how important it is to grow the game. Don't think I didn't notice that she's ending it now that UT has won the last three years either. Wink

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 06/08/07 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

atlasshrugs wrote:
Surprising and extremely disappointing, I'm sure for the ladies on both teams as well. I can't believe Pat wouldn't want to continue with the biggest rivalry in WBB as she's always stressed how important it is to grow the game. Don't think I didn't notice that she's ending it now that UT has won the last three years either. Wink

I don't think that has anything to do with it. She had a very good chance to make it four in a row after next season. The game was going to be played in Knoxville at a newly renovated TBA and she still had the majority of the returning championship team. Actually ending it now wouldn't make the most sense on her part, if it's for that reason alone.

Jerrybear

PostPosted: 06/09/07 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

that is a shame. Tennessee vs. U-Conn has been THE marquee rivalry in women's college b-ball.

i hope they decide to resume the series at some point. no more Tennesee v. U-conn would be like no more Michigan vs. Notre Dame in football.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 06/09/07 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AnnieM wrote:
auntie wrote:

Doesn't make sense to me. Geno and my huskies would have a clear advantage at MSG... CT is MUCHHHH more closer to the Garden than TN.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: