RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Scholarships & pregnancy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marjie

PostPosted: 05/13/07 12:35 pm    ::: Scholarships & pregnancy Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
For the NCAA to throw up its hands and essentially say, 'We're being neutral here, it's left to our members' judgment,' isn't taking responsibility for how its policies are signaling to institutions that maybe it's OK to take away scholarships for athletes who get pregnant when it's not OK under Title IX," Brake said.

How can we help these students?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2865230&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab7pos1

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/index

BallState1984

PostPosted: 05/13/07 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Brainer --

One should be aware of what can happen when one has unprotected sex. I feel it is a good policy to let these kids know if they screw up -- no pun intended -- they will lose their scholarship. If they choose to play roulette with the stork, then they choose to accept whatever consequences that come with that choice.

PostPosted: 05/13/07 8:37 pm    ::: Re: Scholarships & pregnancy Reply Reply with quote

Marjie wrote:
Quote:
For the NCAA to throw up its hands and essentially say, 'We're being neutral here, it's left to our members' judgment,' isn't taking responsibility for how its policies are signaling to institutions that maybe it's OK to take away scholarships for athletes who get pregnant when it's not OK under Title IX," Brake said.

How can we help these students?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2865230&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab7pos1

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/index

Medical redshirt, just like any other medical reason why someone can't play.

Casein

PostPosted: 05/13/07 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You would question the giving of a redshirt to somone who has fallen pregnant for the 2nd time, surely they had learnt what caused the first..Smile

A case of a self inflicted injury....

On a more serious note, a choice has been made, there are consequences, why should the disregarding of those consequences be accepted.

At what age or point of life do you say YOU are responsible for your actions and there are bad things that can happen if you aren't.

PostPosted: 05/13/07 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
No Brainer --

One should be aware of what can happen when one has unprotected sex. I feel it is a good policy to let these kids know if they screw up -- no pun intended -- they will lose their scholarship. If they choose to play roulette with the stork, then they choose to accept whatever consequences that come with that choice.

That would only serve to drive these young women into abortions. I don't think that's a positive result.

PostPosted: 05/13/07 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
No Brainer --

One should be aware of what can happen when one has unprotected sex. I feel it is a good policy to let these kids know if they screw up -- no pun intended -- they will lose their scholarship.

And when a married student athlete gets pregnant?

PostPosted: 05/13/07 10:24 pm    ::: Re: Scholarships & pregnancy Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Why should the school have to pay for their education for a year if they are unable to compete and fulfill their end of the contract? It wasn't a training injury or anything related to competition.

PostPosted: 05/13/07 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matty's suggestion is the best solution to cover most of the probabilities in this case, I think.

PostPosted: 05/13/07 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shizanna wrote:

I don't think whether they're married or not should make a difference.
pilight

PostPosted: 05/13/07 10:38 pm    ::: Re: Scholarships & pregnancy Reply Reply with quote

Kelli wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Why should the school have to pay for their education for a year if they are unable to compete and fulfill their end of the contract? It wasn't a training injury or anything related to competition.

Many medical redshirts are given for conditions unrelated to competition.

PostPosted: 05/13/07 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
No Brainer --

So what about all the male student athletes who 'screw up' and have unprotected sex and get a woman pregnant?

In the case of Marquette player Efueko Osagie-Landry who redshirted the 05-06 season due to pregnancy the father of her child is her now husband (then fiance) Marcus Landry who plays for Wisconsin.

memphis10

PostPosted: 05/13/07 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I missed OTL this morning but this is a fucking joke. Everybody makes a mistake but why is it at the University of Memphis the male student athletes get away with a slap on the wrist while the female student athletes get the scarlet letter treatment?!? (Let's see one group generates lots $$$ while the other group losses $.) We have had SEVERAL male student athletes commit serious crimes like rape, domestic violence, identity theft, assault, and money counterfeiting and guess fucking what: Every last one of them either kept their scholarships or got their full scholarships re-instated! Some of them even plead guilty or had a friend/family member take the charge. Evil or Very Mad Gawd this is fucked up.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
Kelli

PostPosted: 05/13/07 11:02 pm    ::: Re: Scholarships & pregnancy Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Many medical redshirts are given for conditions unrelated to competition.

From the other thread on this topic: http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=27727

My 2nd post.

PostPosted: 05/13/07 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
shizanna wrote:

I don't think whether they're married or not should make a difference.

I don't either. That's my point.

PostPosted: 05/14/07 6:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That would only serve to drive these young women into abortions. I don't think that's a positive result.[/quote]

Once again, do these women not know about either The Pill or Condoms? Or better yet NOT HAVING SEX while beign a student/athete?

PostPosted: 05/14/07 6:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
Once again, do these women not know about either The Pill or Condoms?

Of course not, public health education in the US is abstinence based. That's the decree from the Bush administration.

Quote:
Or better yet NOT HAVING SEX while beign a student/athete?

And we're back to the double standard again. Male athletes can have all the sex they want with no repercussions, female athletes must live like nuns.

PostPosted: 05/14/07 6:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With all the contraceptive items that are out there in todays market for both men and women it is my feeling that any pregnancy that happens is a WANTED PREGNANCY.

Ever heard of Free Pregnancy clinics/Family Planning Centers............... Rolling Eyes

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
ChipperF1

PostPosted: 05/14/07 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I say, let the schools decide...BUT KNOW THIS. There are risk to either side of the equation.

My personal belief.....Give them a medical redshirt, and go on with life.

If this nation was committed to policies to really are "pro-life" unwanted pregnany, teenage pregnany and abortion would be non-issues. But that would make sense, and Americans don't want to make sense.

PostPosted: 05/14/07 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
BallState1984 wrote:
No Brainer --

So what about all the male student athletes who 'screw up' and have unprotected sex and get a woman pregnant?

In the case of Marquette player Efueko Osagie-Landry who redshirted the 05-06 season due to pregnancy the father of her child is her now husband (then fiance) Marcus Landry who plays for Wisconsin.

Thank you!

The female athlete did not get preggers on her own. It's just one year off. One wouldn't take away the scholarship of an athlete that played football and broke his or her wrist, that's a self inflicted injury. Why would pregnancy be any different? It's not like it's a perminant state of being.

Marcus Williams and AJ Price kept their scholarship after stealing laptops, I can honestly say I'd be more than a little pissed if a female athlete lost her scholarship because of pregnancy. We are talking crime vs. acting like the average 19-20 year old.

And trust me, even with all of the birth controls and such, kids aren't taught enough about it. They don't know, heck, most think "pulling out" is a good from of birth control.

And I can honestly tell you I've never heard of a "Free Pregnancy Clinic"

PostPosted: 05/14/07 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but women SHOULD be held to a higher standard when it comes to pregnancy. THEY are the ones whose bodies will change(and inturn their everyday life). Men dont have to worry about that.

This is EXACTLY why women are normally more responsible in most societies. They have more to have to be responsible about. At least its been that way through the past few millennium.

In short, female student athletes should be held accountable for getting pregnant. Its their bodies that change, its their team thats getting hurt.

What actions should be taken? Id just give a medical leave of absence, and NOT give an extra year of eligibility.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: