RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

C. Vivian Stringer on Jason Whitlock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamala

PostPosted: 05/09/07 5:30 pm    ::: C. Vivian Stringer on Jason Whitlock Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2864760&sportCat=mlb&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos1

Whitlock, in an April column, criticized Stringer's handling of the Don Imus situation and wrote that she conducted a public and grandstanding "pity party/recruiting rally" after the since-canned shock jock called Rutgers' players -- well, you know what he called them. Now it was payback time.

I'm amazed," she said, staring down the length of the table at Whitlock. "I just want to understand your mind-set. I just want to understand people like you."

This column isn't about Whitlock, who retracted nothing, or Stringer, whose intensity, anger and emotion won over the panelists and the room. But there is no denying that the most charged moments of the evening came when Stringer leaned toward the microphone and defended herself to Whitlock.

"It wasn't the Rutgers women's basketball team that brought Mr. Imus down," she said, still glaring at Whitlock. "It was America. Women spoke. Black people spoke. It was America!

"I made a statement that it wasn't black or white. The truth of the matter is that we have been fooled for such a long time. We have such promise and we all are important. We need to step on each other's heads to get the little piece of the American dream. It became green. It was power. You [Whitlock] understand that. That's the reason why you chose these few minutes to get your one moment of [fame]. Because other than that, who knows Jason Whitlock?"

PostPosted: 05/09/07 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yea!!! I keep having more and more and more respect and admiration for CVS!!!

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/10/07 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stfu, c. victim.

PostPosted: 05/11/07 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"I made a statement that it wasn't black or white. The truth of the matter is that we have been fooled for such a long time. We have such promise and we all are important. We need to step on each other's heads to get the little piece of the American dream. It became green. It was power. You [Whitlock] understand that. That's the reason why you chose these few minutes to get your one moment of [fame]. Because other than that, who knows Jason Whitlock?"

Somebody gets it.

Kamala

PostPosted: 05/11/07 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
Quote:

Somebody gets it.

True dat!

PostPosted: 05/11/07 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Etan Thomas responds in his usual intelligent manner...I love this guy!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/etan-thomas/an-open-letter-to-jason-w_b_48247.html

PostPosted: 05/11/07 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Etan Thomas responds in his usual intelligent manner...I love this guy!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/etan-thomas/an-open-letter-to-jason-w_b_48247.html

Thanks for the link, caune! I've enjoyed reading Etan's thoughts on this matter.

And a big "THANK YOU" goes out to CVS for standing up to Whitlock. Someone had to do it.

Mathies to LA 2013
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/11/07 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to jump in on this one with an effen vengeance. Later. Mad

PostPosted: 05/12/07 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
I'm going to jump in on this one with an effen vengeance. Later. Mad

come on jammer...unleash the vengence Wink

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/14/07 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jason whitlock 30 mins. ago on WFAN, re: the reaction (RU/c. victim/sharpton et al) to imus' comments:

"i think it was dishonest".

amen.

PostPosted: 05/14/07 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

""i think it was dishonest". "

Uncle Ruckus Whitlock...I guess we'll see him on Fox News next. Wink

PostPosted: 05/14/07 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What would have been an honest response by C. Viv? No problem, you can the young women on my team anything you want. I'm sure that Geno wouldn't mind if Chris Rock called Megan Gardler "A straight-haired, trailer park piece of white trash" or maybe Rizzoti, or Lobo, or Ann Strother. I'm sure that Geno just would have laughed it off. I'm sure you would have, if it was your daughter. Jason Whitlock would have laughed hysterically if someone got on the radio and called his wife a "ho", I'm sure. In fact C. Viv stood up for her players and more power to her, any coach would have. As for Jason, if that noted rich frat boy Tucker Carlson, known for his passionate belief in fighting for the overdog, is on your side, then you're in trouble.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: