RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Robin Roberts attends White House State Dinner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtgirl

PostPosted: 05/08/07 10:33 pm    ::: Robin Roberts attends White House State Dinner Reply Reply with quote

Go here:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=3149379

and click on 'photos' in the second paragraph of the article to see a slide show with a picture of Robin with the Queen and Consort, and W and Laura. Robin has size on all of them.

ETA: Does anyone know why she was on the guest list? Seems it was made up of political dignitaries, major donors, GOP bigwigs and supporters, and Peyton Manning and the Derby Jockey. Where does she fit in?

sambista

PostPosted: 05/09/07 4:37 am    ::: Re: Robin Roberts attends White House State Dinner Reply Reply with quote

dirtgirl wrote:
Go here:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=3149379

and click on 'photos' in the second paragraph of the article to see a slide show with a picture of Robin with the Queen and Consort, and W and Laura. Robin has size on all of them.

ETA: Does anyone know why she was on the guest list? Seems it was made up of political dignitaries, major donors, GOP bigwigs and supporters, and Peyton Manning and the Derby Jockey. Where does she fit in?

'cause she was an outstanding baller? a former wnba commentator?! more likely because she's a morning-prime-time newswoman, and has been in the news a lot lately because of her new book and recent stories about her father being honored as a tuskegee airman.

there was also a big feature about her in usaa magazine, usaa being an insurance/investment company that serves military families exclusively. wouldn't be surprised if that, more than anything, put her on the radar of people inside the beltway.

PostPosted: 05/09/07 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was there because she rocks with much class...

PostPosted: 05/09/07 7:05 am    ::: Re: Robin Roberts attends White House State Dinner Reply Reply with quote

dirtgirl wrote:

You forgot Elizabeth Hasselbeck.

Perhaps the Queen requested Robin and the others.

PostPosted: 05/09/07 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps the Queen requested Robin and the others.

I can't imagine that the Queen has any idea who Robin is. Her Majesty might have requested the jockey because she was there & is very into racing, but would she really want to have dinner with a jockey? It looks like they tried to invite every Republican they could--Manning, etc.

dirtgirl

PostPosted: 05/09/07 11:30 am    ::: Re: Robin Roberts attends White House State Dinner Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
You forgot Elizabeth Hasselbeck.

Ugh. I would be disappointed if Roberts' political views ran that close to Hasselbecks.

I just thought it was interesting she was the only one from the major networks. And yes, she does rock.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/09/07 11:38 am    ::: Re: Robin Roberts attends White House State Dinner Reply Reply with quote

dirtgirl wrote:
I just thought it was interesting she was the only one from the major networks. And yes, she does rock.

Not true. David Gregory of NBC was there.

PostPosted: 05/09/07 11:50 am    ::: Re: Robin Roberts attends White House State Dinner Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Ah. Him I overlooked. Maybe a CBS person was also invited and declined.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/09/07 11:53 am    ::: Re: Robin Roberts attends White House State Dinner Reply Reply with quote

dirtgirl wrote:
pilight wrote:

Ah. Him I overlooked. Maybe a CBS person was also invited and declined.

Bob Schieffer attended.

dirtgirl

PostPosted: 05/09/07 5:52 pm    ::: Re: Robin Roberts attends White House State Dinner Reply Reply with quote

Robin did an interview on GMA with Mrs. Bush Monday morning.

I like the bit about the pea soup...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/05/20070507-2.html

"Q And you have been very hands-on, very much involved -- I was here yesterday and talking with a number of people on your staff. And I look at the menu here -- it's beautiful, first of all -- I can't wait, I'm going to be sure and frame it. We begin with pea soup.

MRS. BUSH: I think it's going to be a really wonderful soup. Now, when we have a dinner like this, we do a tasting. And we had a tasting a few weeks ago of all of the dishes that our chef, Cris, proposed for this State Dinner. And for that tasting, we actually had some senators and congressmen for dinner. They got to be the ones that helped us taste. And we asked them for their real opinion. We really wanted them to know. And everyone thought it was wonderful, and especially this soup. I think you'll really like it, Robin.

Q Okay, I'm going to have to take your advice on that. I know that's one of your favorites.

MRS. BUSH: It's a fresh pea soup, and it has a little hint of lavender in it. I think you'll really like it."

AlejoL

PostPosted: 05/11/07 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, but Robin Roberts going to the white house makes me sick. During the VietNam invasion people like Sarah Vaughn refused to go to the white house and took a lot of flack for it. But it was worth it. All the people who refused said that.

tag3

PostPosted: 05/11/07 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AlejoL wrote:
Sorry, but Robin Roberts going to the white house makes me sick.

I agree.

MadDog22

PostPosted: 05/12/07 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How do we know what Robin's political beliefs are?
Or maybe she thought it was a non-political situation?

vanyogan

PostPosted: 05/12/07 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MadDog22 wrote:
How do we know what Robin's political beliefs are?
Or maybe she thought it was a non-political situation?

Everything that happens in Washington is political.

Roberts grew up in a military family, in the South. A good guess on her politics would be blue dog democrat.

PostPosted: 05/12/07 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

how quickly people are to judge when they have no idea what was in roberts' mind about going. and what she might've had in mind to say and do. or whether she was urged to go by abc. or whether she went to stand for minority journalists who didn't get to go the last time the queen made an appearance. or whether she went to stand for her father, who never would have been invited to the white house.

who knows why she went. do you?

PostPosted: 05/12/07 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why wouldn't you go? I understand the Sarah Vaughn situation, but the Queen of England so rarely graces our shores, so while I see being invited to the White House for a State dinner as a once in a lifetime event, this particular dinner was once in perhaps five lifetimes.

Maybe Roberts' next book will answer the question: Why in the world did I go to that White House dinner, instead of refusing to protest President Bush's woeful administration???

PostPosted: 05/12/07 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AlejoL wrote:
Sorry, but Robin Roberts going to the white house makes me sick. During the VietNam invasion people like Sarah Vaughn refused to go to the white house and took a lot of flack for it. But it was worth it. All the people who refused said that.

You mean all the gutless, pinko draft dodging motherfuckers??? Those gutless motherfuckers who allowed others to take their place in battle, many of who didn't come back. Who ran away to Canada and fucking Carter allowed them back? Speaking of which, that fucking Canadian city that was going to build a statue for those gutless, pinko cowards. WTF??

tennis2

PostPosted: 05/12/07 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sec310 wrote:
AlejoL wrote:

You mean all the gutless, pinko draft dodging motherfuckers??? Those gutless motherfuckers who allowed others to take their place in battle, many of who didn't come back. Who ran away to Canada and fucking Carter allowed them back? Speaking of which, that fucking Canadian city that was going to build a statue for those gutless, pinko cowards. WTF??

No, she wasn't talking about the young men who were smart enough not to go to Vietnam. She was talking about people like Sarah Vaughn who refused to go to the White House during this time.

tennis2

PostPosted: 05/12/07 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
how quickly people are to judge when they have no idea what was in roberts' mind about going. and what she might've had in mind to say and do. or whether she was urged to go by abc. or whether she went to stand for minority journalists who didn't get to go the last time the queen made an appearance. or whether she went to stand for her father, who never would have been invited to the white house.

who knows why she went. do you?

Good points. Would I rather she had not gone? Yes, but I am not she, I have no reason why she went and I am not judging her for it.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 05/14/07 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elizabeth Hasselbeck got their strictly because of her beliefs IMO. Probably Bush wanted to get here there to be the only person on the View sticking up for him. haha. I mean out of all people that coult have been invited she was one of the 74 people??

ChipperF1

PostPosted: 05/14/07 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"You mean all the gutless, pinko draft dodging motherfuckers??? Those gutless motherfuckers who allowed others to take their place in battle, many of who didn't come back.

Gutless Chickenhawks like Dick Cheney and Dan Quayle right?

Robin Roberts went to a state dinner. BIG DEAL!
I hope she had a good time Smile

This isn't about the dang war. Its about a dinner.

Let's be real about this "war". If you want to drive your car..WAR IS THE ONLY ANSWER!

PostPosted: 05/15/07 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is an interesting dilemma when someone is invited to the White House. Does the person go out of respect for the office, or in this case to represent our country? Or do you boycott because W has messed up this country in so many ways?

I think in this case Robin Roberts had to also think about her employer and her job. Making a political statement would not have made the men in suits very happy.

PostPosted: 05/16/07 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

auntie wrote:
It is an interesting dilemma when someone is invited to the White House. Does the person go out of respect for the office, or in this case to represent our country? Or do you boycott because W has messed up this country in so many ways?

I think in this case Robin Roberts had to also think about her employer and her job. Making a political statement would not have made the men in suits very happy.

A state dinner at the White House is about the toughest dinner ticket in the world. It's at the White House. Seating is limited, the guest list is normally eclectic. The staff literally spend months on the menu and decor.

Only a complete moron would turn down a State Dinner ticket, no matter who is in office or who the honoree is.

PostPosted: 05/16/07 1:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
Only a complete moron would turn down a State Dinner ticket, no matter who is in office or who the honoree is.

Exactly. A once in a lifetime opportunity.

tennis2

PostPosted: 05/18/07 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ChipperF1"]
Quote:

Let's be real about this "war". If you want to drive your car..WAR IS THE ONLY ANSWER!

GREAT ANSWER!!!!!!! and great values........NOT!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: