RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Media finally gets to D.L. Hughley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Marvel

PostPosted: 05/07/07 3:16 pm    ::: Media finally gets to D.L. Hughley Reply Reply with quote

From today's Baltimore Sun sports blog. This includes a shoutout to RebKell:

We thought we had learned from Imus' mistake

Just when you thought (perhaps, hopefully?) the cesspool created by radio host Don Imus regarding the Rutgers women’s basketball team was safely closed for the year, someone else dove in last week, face-first, to stir up a new tide on national television.

Here’s what he had to say: “He (Imus) called them hos and they're not hos. But they were nappy-headed...Them is some of the ugliest women I've ever seen in my life.”

Those words were not uttered by an old guy off the cuff, as Imus did, but by D.L. Hughley, appearing on “The Tonight Show” last week. You can check out a clip of Hughley, by clicking on this link: http://www.youtube.com/v/tIqD1GCvedw

(By the way, a big thanks to a poster on the RebKell women’s basketball board for bringing this to light.)

A few points need to be made:

First, while Imus deserved to be castigated for his noxious comments, at least his remarks came extemporaneously. Hughley, who appears on NBC’s “Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip,” clearly had thought out what he was saying. Even after hearing groans from the audience after his first observation, Hughley went on to make the second comment about the team’s appearance. If you grant that Hughley is a comedian and was only joking, you should have made the same allowance to Imus, who was also speaking comedically.

Second, NBC, which went to great lengths to point out how the outrage of their employees helped guide their decision to dump the daily simulcast of Imus’ show that aired on MSNBC, had time to edit out Hughley’s comments from the time they were made to the time they were broadcast, but didn’t.

Third, in a perfect world, the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton should be applying the same intense pressure to NBC, “Tonight Show” host Jay Leno and Hughley that they did to NBC, CBS Radio and Imus. You could even argue that the heat should be turned up higher on Hughley et al because nearly a month passed between the two incidents and lessons should have been learned.

Of course, this is likely the first you’ve heard about this matter. Perhaps that’s because far more important things have taken place since Imus’ debacle, and we’ve all learned that words really don’t hurt us as much as bullets do. Or maybe it’s because we as a society consider it more acceptable for a black comedian like Hughley to torch the self-image of a team consisting mostly of black players than for a white talk show host like Imus.

-- Milton Kent

auntie

PostPosted: 05/07/07 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Your points are well taken.

It also goes back to the issue of what difference does it make what a player looks like. Furthermore, at the press conference the Rutgers women showed that they are quite good looking when they are dressed for other than games.

The audience seemed somewhat upset by the remarks, but Leno did not seem to know how to react. I am surprised that this hasn't gotten more coverage. Perhaps the media has more important things like Paris Hilton's jail time.

PostPosted: 05/07/07 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

milton kent is great. he's the wilbon of women's basketball.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 05/07/07 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kent is an unrelenting homer and expert spin artist. Then again, most beat writers for major college teams are the same way.

Props to Milton Kent for pointing out the D.L. Hughley mess. Seriously, he isn't funny and neither were his comments.

Mathies to LA 2013
JayeRunner

PostPosted: 05/07/07 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

auntie wrote:
It also goes back to the issue of what difference does it make what a player looks like. Furthermore, at the press conference the Rutgers women showed that they are quite good looking when they are dressed for other than games.

Sorry, but the idea the Rugers women proved themselves good looking when not dressed for the games is disturbing to me, as I infer that the writer believes none of them is not much to look at on the court.

Yes, I myself "judge" people's looks, and some of the Rutger's women might be considered hot, Wink babes, Cool so-so, Confused or even dogs, Shocked etc., but I think reasonable people will agree that which player fits in which category is subjective and up to the beholder, thus the phrase.

But the thought that the women "are quite looking when they are dressed for other than games" speaks to me of a negative societal stereotype that women must be dressed and act in a certain way to be considered good looking, and the athletic appearing/acting woman is not attractive. While I do not necessarily think this was the writer's intent, this was my first reaction, and it bothered me. Sad

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/08/07 4:25 am    ::: Re: Media finally gets to D.L. Hughley Reply Reply with quote

Captain Marvel wrote:

(By the way, a big thanks to a poster on the RebKell women’s basketball board for bringing this to light.)

-- Milton Kent

Y'all welcome. Smile

PostPosted: 05/08/07 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammer - great shot of a frigate... what an amazin' bird.... Central park is quiet, but I had a great time tromping through the woods this past weekend...

PostPosted: 05/08/07 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
jammer - great shot of a frigate... what an amazin' bird.... Central park is quiet, but I had a great time tromping through the woods this past weekend...

That first blazing day in Rio. The Rio Trio on the roof of the hotel. Maybe 14 floors up. The mountains and rainforest. The heat. Deep blue sky and water.

Those birds. I don't know who noticed how incredibly different they were from any birds we'd ever seen. For a second I though they were remote controlled toys and looked around from some kids operating them from the beach. They looked like the pterodactyls from Jonny Quest.

HUGE fuckers. Largest carnivorous birds on Earth, if my memory serves. Eight foot wing span. Jet black. Wings, not like a real bat, more like Batman. Forked tail, which you can't see in my shot. These birds looked like they were drawn by that comic book artist. What's his name? They ran a documentary on him the Independent Movie Channel TOO many times a few years ago. I think he used to do the covers for the horror comic books Eerie and Creepy.

The don't really flap their wings. There was enough current up where they were for them to just glide around. I have some movies and I downloaded a converter/editor for the DL Hughey video so I might be able to convert and compress the videos my little camera made into something I could post. I don't have any video of the birds from the first morning, I do have some shots, however. But I do have some video of the birds I took from by balcony on the 8th floor a few days later. The weather is drastically different. Much cooler and windy and wet. I LOVED that. Gotta keep the jammer cool, ladies. Unless we're out dancing at the Rio Scenarium.

PostPosted: 05/08/07 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, Hughley's statements are much worse than Imus's (Even though Imus got what he deserved, IMO.)

Imus was using colloquial language with the term "hos" which basically translates to the word women in "Rapper" and black street language. I presume it's used by those who think they are being cool and cute.......

Hughley is stating straight out that the young women are ugly!

OK Al Sharpton.........where is your ass on this one?
Jesse Jackson?......... we're calling your ass out too!
O'Reilly?
King?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/08/07 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Actually, Hughley's statements are much worse than Imus's (Even though Imus got what he deserved, IMO.)

Imus was using colloquial language with the term "hos" which basically translates to the word women in "Rapper" and black street language. I presume it's used by those who think they are being cool and cute.......

Hughley is stating straight out that the young women are ugly!

OK Al Sharpton.........where is your ass on this one?
Jesse Jackson?......... we're calling your ass out too!
O'Reilly?
King?

Absolutely worse. He was AFFIRMING comments that Imus made in a moment of adolescent (but certainly racist) jawing. DL's whole POINT being, the thing is, we all know Imus was right. You know... oh, the irony of it all. This from a guy who dropped out of high school and had to get a GED... talking about women who successfully balance championship level basketball with college.

PostPosted: 05/08/07 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JayeRunner wrote:
auntie wrote:

Sorry, but the idea the Rugers women proved themselves good looking when not dressed for the games is disturbing to me, as I infer that the writer believes none of them is not much to look at on the court.

Yes, I myself "judge" people's looks, and some of the Rutger's women might be considered hot, Wink babes, Cool so-so, Confused or even dogs, Shocked etc., but I think reasonable people will agree that which player fits in which category is subjective and up to the beholder, thus the phrase.

But the thought that the women "are quite looking when they are dressed for other than games" speaks to me of a negative societal stereotype that women must be dressed and act in a certain way to be considered good looking, and the athletic appearing/acting woman is not attractive. While I do not necessarily think this was the writer's intent, this was my first reaction, and it bothered me. Sad

JayeRunner-You make a good point which I really did not consider about stereotypes. I also think that the looks are not the issue when it comes to hoops, except if you are talking about the physical conditioning, etc.

However, people are judging the looks of women's athletes, using standards that are more appropriate for fashion models. If they are going to use this type of standard, they should at least judge athletes when they are have some chance of approaching it.

Ideally, our society should get beyond "lookism." People often judge people by their looks and not by their character, intelligence and accomplishments. We still tend to judge a book by its cover. But then there would be less money to be made in selling make-up, hair color, plastic surgery, etc.

PostPosted: 05/09/07 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What bothered me most about Imus and Hughley (and all too many who comment for a living or for fun) is their casual contempt for women athletes.

Quote:
Sally Jenkins, Washington Post: ... Female ballplayers still fight enormous prejudice: They deal with a daily drumbeat of small degrading remarks, false assumptions and acts of stubborn little meanness; their looks and skills are derided; and at some schools they even have to fight for time on the practice court. An example: Back in 1998, when Tennessee Coach Pat Summitt was being celebrated for her sixth national championship -- her sixth, mind you -- she returned to campus and in the hallway of her own arena, she ran into an aging male administrator, who went out of his way to insult her. He stared at her coolly. "Did you win?" he asked. It was his way of telling her it wasn't worth watching.

The truth is, the fallout from the Imus controversy is the most publicity the women's game ever has gotten. Some of the male sports columnists who weighed in this week annually neglect the women's Final Four, and most of them failed to witness a single game in which Rutgers played. ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/11/AR2007041102518.html?hpid=topnews

RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/09/07 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hughley's a COWARD and most likely insecure about his manhood.

Bet he wouldn't tell Ray Rice, to his face, that his girl friend Matee Ajuvon is ugly. Evil or Very Mad

Jerrybear

PostPosted: 05/09/07 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i'll be he would not tell Ajuvon herself (or any other woman athlete), to her face, that she is ugly!

and if he did, she would kick his butt! and look quite good doing it!

Jerrybear

PostPosted: 05/09/07 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just checked out some pictures of Matee Ajavon (the previous poster had her last name spelled wrong) and yes, she is a very beautiful lady!

Losers like Imus and Hughley only WISH they could be with women as beautiful, strong, and successful as her!

The Rutgers women will get the last laugh in all of this...when they go on to have happy and successful lives, in spite of what some mean, sexist morons might say about them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: