RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Candace Parker engaged
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 05/04/07 1:18 pm    ::: Candace Parker engaged Reply Reply with quote

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/entertainment_columnists/article/0,1406,KNS_360_5518350,00.html

Quote:
Parker, who turned 21 a couple of weeks ago, is engaged to Atlanta Hawks forward Shelden Williams, who just completed his rookie season. They decided on April 21 to get hitched after Parker graduates.

Note that this article isn't in the sports section. Terry Morrow is a celebrity gossip guy.

PostPosted: 05/04/07 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We'll take all their children @Texas..............

(Wouldn't want them fighting over Duke and Tennessee.)

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 05/04/07 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
We'll take all their children @Texas..............

(Wouldn't want them fighting over Duke and Tennessee.)

If they do have children, their offspring should be some freaks of basketball nature or something, right.

Of course, if they inherit daddy's forehead, they'll just be freaks. Confused

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/04/07 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:

I always love women's basketball fans who complain about sports journalists mocking the "looks" of female athletes, then subsequently do the same about male athletes.

SueBirdFan

PostPosted: 05/04/07 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well I guess a congrats is in order!

Go Storm!

"Go smack yourself in the face and see what happens."
Hughsterg

PostPosted: 05/04/07 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the Twin Cities, the gossip columnist announced Kevin Garnett's, Kirby Puckett's Sad, and the John Pohl-Krissy Wendell (Toronto Maple Leaf/ex-Gopher and US Women's Hockey captain) engagement. CJ is on top of those things, so the beat writer doesn't have to be.

PostPosted: 05/04/07 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

I always love women's basketball fans who complain about sports journalists mocking the "looks" of female athletes, then subsequently do the same about male athletes.

Well when I become a sports journalist who is paid for my commentary, I'll keep that in mind Rolling Eyes

caune

PostPosted: 05/04/07 6:14 pm    ::: Re: Candace Parker engaged Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/entertainment_columnists/article/0,1406,KNS_360_5518350,00.html

Quote:
Parker, who turned 21 a couple of weeks ago, is engaged to Atlanta Hawks forward Shelden Williams, who just completed his rookie season. They decided on April 21 to get hitched after Parker graduates.

Note that this article isn't in the sports section. Terry Morrow is a celebrity gossip guy.

That Lady Vols vaunted PR department comes through again Wink

Congrats to Candace and Sheldon

PostPosted: 05/04/07 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
Well when I become a sports journalist who is paid for my commentary, I'll keep that in mind Rolling Eyes

Has nothing to do with sports journalism. Don't complain about people disrespecting female athletes when you use the same comments vis-a-vis male athletes. If you are going complain about women being treated differently and worse, you cannot engage in the same behavior and not expect to be called out for it.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 05/04/07 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

Has nothing to do with sports journalism. Don't complain about people disrespecting female athletes when you use the same comments vis-a-vis male athletes. If you are going complain about women being treated differently and worse, you cannot engage in the same behavior and not expect to be called out for it.

When did I complain about this? I stated in a post in another thread that I didn't like D.L. Hughley, preferred Bernie Mac and that while not all the Rutgers' players were stunning none of them were unattractive. That's the closest I ever came to touching the subject matter. So again, when did I complain?

Oh, I also said that it killed me that people call the women ugly when they haven't seen them at their "best", makeup etc. I never once said no one had a right to call a player ugly.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/04/07 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
Oh, I also said that it killed me that people call the women ugly when they haven't seen them at their "best", makeup etc. I never once said no one had a right to call a player ugly.

You complained about the names used and the characterization based on aesthetics, yet you did the same thing.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 05/04/07 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

You complained about the names used and the characterization based on aesthetics, yet you did the same thing.

Again, when did I do any of the above because I honestly don't recall either? Are we talking about DL Hughley or Imus?

kage

PostPosted: 05/04/07 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratz to Candace and Shelden!
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/04/07 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
Again, when did I do any of the above because I honestly don't recall either? Are we talking about DL Hughley or Imus?

You made a comment about people referring to women as ugly, saying it bothered you. And when you had a chance, you did the exact same thing.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 05/05/07 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

You made a comment about people referring to women as ugly, saying it bothered you. And when you had a chance, you did the exact same thing.

No I didn't. I never said that. Here's exactly what I said:

Quote:
This is what also irritates me to no end. People make comments all of the time about how women's basketball players are supposedly so unattractive. They base this on seeing them during games without makeup, without jewelry, with their hair pulled back not for style but for functionality and while wearing baggy jerseys. I'm like what the hell do they expect? Have they not seen Tyra Banks or Halle Berry without makeup? It truly isn't a pleasant sight. I've seen Ajavon off of the court and she is very, very pretty. I mean, I'm not saying every Rutgers player is stunning or anything off court, but none of them in any way are unattractive.

The context was that it bothered me that they made these statements while not seeing the players at their "best" presentation. This is something I've stated already. I never once said calling a player ugly "bothered" me. I said calling the Rutgers players ugly was inaccurate because they are not, at least off the court in their street clothes they are not.

So again, I did not say what you're implying and yes, Shelden has a massive forehead.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/05/07 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You criticize people for criticizing the way women's players look, yet, at the first chance, you do the same thing to a men's player. Oh yeah, that makes sense. Rolling Eyes

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 05/06/07 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What? Did you even read my post above? I never once complained about anyone calling ugly by its name, not one time.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/06/07 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
What? Did you even read my post above? I never once complained about anyone calling ugly by its name, not one time.

You posted about people making comments about women's basketball players being unattractive. Plain as day. Then you do the same thing.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 05/06/07 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

You posted about people making comments about women's basketball players being unattractive. Plain as day. Then you do the same thing.

No, I posted about DL and his reference to the Rutgers players in particular being wrong because they are not unattractive, at least off court. That was plain as day. I have no problem with calling ugly by its name. It was that in this particular case imo, DL was wrong. I mentioned how pretty Ajavon was in particular off court.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/06/07 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
No, I posted about DL and his reference to the Rutgers players in particular being wrong because they are not unattractive, at least off court. That was plain as day. I have no problem with calling ugly by its name. It was that in this particular case imo, DL was wrong. I mentioned how pretty Ajavon was in particular off court.

DL was wrong, but you aren't? Nice logic there.

You got called out for your hypocrisy, then you backtrack. So it's okay for you to complain about people discussing how female players look, but you can make the same judgments about male players. Whatever. Rolling Eyes

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 05/06/07 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

DL was wrong, but you aren't? Nice logic there.

You got called out for your hypocrisy, then you backtrack. So it's okay for you to complain about people discussing how female players look, but you can make the same judgments about male players. Whatever. Rolling Eyes

You have yet to show me my alleged "hypocrisy". Yet, I've posted several times that I haven't got one problem with anyone calling any player unattractive when it's an accurate description. My whole point was how would DL know if these players were ugly or not. He's only seen them on the court in what most would believe, a less than flattering presentation. You've continued to, in typical fashion, ignore that point. How convenient for you, I guess. I even mentioned at the beginning of another Parker thread that I believed Candace had a hairy forehead. Yeah, that sounds like someone who has a problem with people saying negative things about female player's looks. Rolling Eyes

I guess that was something else you conveniently ignored as well in your, ahem, "calling out" quest. Also for the record, I never called your precious former dukie ugly. I just said his forehead was big. So, you're also wrong in assuming I believed him to be ugly. Is there anything wrong with a large forehead? I mean, look at what Tyra Banks has accomplished. Rolling Eyes

gopherfan

PostPosted: 05/06/07 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hughsterg wrote:
In the Twin Cities, the gossip columnist announced Kevin Garnett's, Kirby Puckett's Sad, and the John Pohl-Krissy Wendell (Toronto Maple Leaf/ex-Gopher and US Women's Hockey captain) engagement. CJ is on top of those things, so the beat writer doesn't have to be.

Didn't CJ announce Whalen's engagement or was that Charley Walters? I don't remember but I know it hit the Twin Cities papers a day after it came out in the Connecticut paper.

eclair

PostPosted: 05/07/07 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope their babies aspire to be in the band (or the TA in Physics or Historians or whatever), and their parents are thrilled to that thier children find their passion.

I hope their Mom and Dad don't care what they look like.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/07/07 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
You have yet to show me my alleged "hypocrisy". Yet, I've posted several times that I haven't got one problem with anyone calling any player unattractive when it's an accurate description. My whole point was how would DL know if these players were ugly or not. He's only seen them on the court in what most would believe, a less than flattering presentation. You've continued to, in typical fashion, ignore that point. How convenient for you, I guess. I even mentioned at the beginning of another Parker thread that I believed Candace had a hairy forehead. Yeah, that sounds like someone who has a problem with people saying negative things about female player's looks.

Can you not read your own words? You just complained about people making fun of the looks of female basketball players.

This is what also irritates me to no end. People make comments all of the time about how women's basketball players are supposedly so unattractive. They base this on seeing them during games without makeup, without jewelry, with their hair pulled back not for style but for functionality and while wearing baggy jerseys.

Then you post this:

Of course, if they inherit daddy's forehead, they'll just be freaks.

You sit there and complain about people making comments about female player's looks, and you do the same. How freaking hard is that to understand??? You can't see the hypocrisy? Don't bitch about other people's behavior when you engage in it. Until you learn to read, maybe you should stop posting. Rolling Eyes

cferraro04

PostPosted: 05/07/07 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also joining the ranks of the married...is Tamika Williams of the Minnesota Lynx, now Tamika Raymond

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: