RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

D.L. Hughley On Rutgers Women...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/03/07 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
So is this basically the only place we're going to hear about this? I know DL's career is irrelevant but geez.

I was TIVO'ing Charlie Rose last night. But there's no way this isn't going to have some sort of a bounce.

PostPosted: 05/03/07 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not a lawyer, but I can't help but think that DL's comments last night present some FASCINATING and unprecedented legal questions. This is THE EXACT network corporation (employer) that fired Don Imus (contracted employee/entertainer) for specific offensive and derogatory statements about a specific group of individuals, the Rutgers women's basketball team (target) ON their television airwaves (venue). Last night, someone, a contracted entertainer (EMPLOYEE?) restated and reaffirmed, at least one of those offensive comments and added another regarding the exact same (target), the Rugtgers WBB team, ON NBC (employer's) network over their airwaves. (venue)

Not saying Imus has a case... but I would think that someone would be mulling over the possibility on the grounds of selective application of network standards or something.

But it's not just DL. Again... this show is taped at 5:30 PM every day and not aired until hours later. Jay Leno is, I believe, an executive producer of his show. Isn't the show produced, like Letterman's World Wide Pants, by a production entity that is in large part owned by Leno? Who at NBC knew about these comments and what kinds of decisions were made in the hours between the show's taping and it's airing later in the evening?

On another note. Why in the FUCK is this not getting any attention by anyone outside of THIS message board?

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 05/03/07 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/03/07 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's interesting that DL said... they are NOT hoes, which had said that it could have been seen as an observable empirical UNTRUTH about them and therefore slander, but only that they are nappy headed and ugly, which is completely subjective opinion and therefore not slander.

What do I know?

PostPosted: 05/03/07 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another bit of irony that parallels Imus's show. Jay's first guest was a presidential candidate, Mitt Romney.

PostPosted: 05/03/07 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
I'm not a lawyer, but I can't help but think that DL's comments last night present some FASCINATING and unprecedented legal questions. This is THE EXACT network corporation (employer) that fired Don Imus (contracted employee/entertainer) for specific offensive and derogatory statements about a specific group of individuals, the Rutgers women's basketball team (target) ON their television airwaves (venue). Last night, someone, a contracted entertainer (EMPLOYEE?) restated and reaffirmed, at least one of those offensive comments and added another regarding the exact same (target), the Rugtgers WBB team, ON NBC (employer's) network over their airwaves. (venue)

You could have ended after you said you weren't a lawyer.

Are you going to now have all of the news organizations that repeated the comments lose their shows?

Contracted employee? Surely you are not talking about Hughley, who actually made the comments. You start out by discussing Leno, yet go back to Hughley when discussed adding another element.

And if you are discussing Hughley, let me direct you to the Spirides decision from the DC Circuit and the Lutcher decision from the Ninth Circuit.

Last edited by CamrnCrz1974 on 05/03/07 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/03/07 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still seems to be nothing on the web about this. AT ALL. As in the LAPD May Day Journalistic Beat Down, the lack of coverage, uh... to say the least, is surprising. But in this case, post-Imus, for there to be ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on DL Hughley's comments to be found anywhere online is troubling. What does it say about duplicitous applications of standards for what it persmissable and what repercussions are GOING TO BE APPLIED willy-nilly to ALL OF US in terms of free speech or comedic/artistic license?

PostPosted: 05/03/07 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Still seems to be nothing on the web about this. AT ALL. As in the LAPD May Day Journalistic Beat Down, the lack of coverage, uh... to say the least, is surprising. But in this case, post-Imus, for there to be ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on DL Hughley's comments to be found anywhere online is troubling. What does it say about duplicitous applications of standards for what it persmissable and what repercussions are GOING TO BE APPLIED willy-nilly to ALL OF US in terms of free speech or comedic/artistic license?

This is the prime example of the speaker having license as he is a member of the racial minority group subject to the comments. It is also another example of accepted form of misogyny in this country.

But, personally, I didn't think Imus should be fired to begin with. That is what his show is about...offending anyone and everyone. And if you don't like the show, don't listen. There is no direct, causal discrimination between Imus and the Rutgers players.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/03/07 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Contracted employee? Surely you are not talking about Hughley, who actually made the comments.

Yes I was ASKING about Hughley, thus the question mark, and there's no need for your condescending attitude. He IS MOST CERTAINLY contracted by NBC. He's not a guest in Jay Leno's house. He's signs a contract and is a paid entertainer BY NBC for his appearance on their network. Mr. Lawyer. Shocked And my LEGAL QUESTIONS were not limited to DL Hughley, as much as that posed a problem for you.

PostPosted: 05/03/07 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Contracted employee? Surely you are not talking about Hughley, who actually made the comments.

Yes I was ASKING about Hughley, thus the question mark, and there's no need for your condescending attitude. He IS MOST CERTAINLY contracted by NBC. He's not a guest in Jay Leno's house. He's signs a contract and is a paid entertainer BY NBC for his appearance on their network. Mr. Lawyer. Shocked And my LEGAL QUESTIONS were not limited to DL Hughley, as much as that posed a problem for you.

Jammer, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES can Hughley be considered an "employee." See the 12 factor test articulated in the Spirides and Lutcher decisions. Some of us practice labor and employment law!!!

memphis10

PostPosted: 05/03/07 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
DL Hughley is NOT an insult comic. He's a topical, social observation comic.

You obviously didn't watch BET ComicView 15 years ago. That was his big break and his whole act was making fun/roasting the audience on their appearance. I'm not shocked about his comment on Rutgers but looking at his hair, let's just say the pot needs to be bitch slapped by the kettle.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 05/03/07 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
This is the prime example of the speaker having license as he is a member of the racial minority group subject to the comments.

on that note, this was absolutely hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdhfyWbJhAk

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/03/07 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Jammer, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES can Hughley be considered an "employee." See the 12 factor test articulated in the Spirides and Lutcher decisions. Some of us practice labor and employment law!!!

First. What part of a QUESTION MARK don't you understand?

I wrote "Last night, someone, a contracted entertainer (EMPLOYEE?)"

If you practice labor and employment law then you are the EXACT person to offer an opinion as to whether DL could be considered an employee of NBC. Thank you. But maybe hold the attitude next time if you don't mind.

Under no circumstances did DL appear on NBC's Tonight Show either UNPAID or without a CONTRACT. So he's not legally speaking an employee. Thank you. His appearance is nevertheless paid for by NBC and occurs under the terms of a contract he enters into with NBC.

My post posed LEGAL QUESTIONS that I thought this incident brings up that I would have hoped some of the lawyers here might opine on. Really no reason for you to be disrespectful or dismissive or to try to bait me into a legal argument. I'm not a lawyer but I really don't think you even understand my concerns. If DL's Tonight Show appearance contract doesn't make him an employee of NBC, so what? There are many people who had opportunities to stop his comments who ARE employees, even executives, of NBC. You should have no question that NBC lawyers heard about these comments before airtime and gave an opinion.

I would like to know how that process all unfolded. But right now... the only person who claims that this incident even happened on the entire internet that I can see, is ME. Shocked

PostPosted: 05/03/07 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
DL Hughley is NOT an insult comic. He's a topical, social observation comic.

You obviously didn't watch BET ComicView 15 years ago.

Damn. You're right. Very Happy I'm not aware of how DL got his big break or what style of comedy he started out doing. I am aware of the insult genre of black club comics of the kind that Comic View showcased for years.

I have seen Kings and have seen him perform on TV many times.

DL is NOT an insult comic per se and he's just not considered to be one. He's a topical social commentary comic.

PostPosted: 05/03/07 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Under no circumstances did DL appear on NBC's Tonight Show either UNPAID or without a CONTRACT. So he's not legally speaking an employee. Thank you. His appearance is nevertheless paid for by NBC and occurs under the terms of a contract he enters into with NBC.

For what it's worth, my understanding is that very few of the guests on the late night talk shows (or any talk show, for that matter) get paid. This is particular true of entertainers, who 99% of the time are coming to promote something. (I mean, really, do you think Kirsten Dunst got paid by CBS or Worldwide Pants to appear on Letterman on Monday?) They probably do sign a contract giving all rights to future everything to the people who own the show, but I bet that's about it.

FWIW, I don't much like the idea that Hughley said the Rutgers team is ugly (and I disagree that you can make that generalization), since it's not exactly relevant to what they do on the court, but I have to put it in a somewhat different box than Imus calling them hos or than someone saying they're "manly" or something along those lines. For that matter, I recall a bunch of jokes about how Larry Bird was ugly when he was in the NBA, and nobody got too bent out of shape over those, either.

sweets

PostPosted: 05/04/07 12:16 am    ::: Re: D.L. Hughley On Rutgers Women... Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
The jammer is on a roll with breaking news to the Rebkell world. The African American comic said this on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. I'm paraquoting.

"They were not hos. But those WERE some nappy headed women."

"Those were some of the ugliest women I've ever seen."

"When you can dribble a basketball and braid your hair at the same time, that is impressive."

Okayyy. I've got some problems with this. I'm not inclined to give DL, who I really like, a pass for this shit NOR am I inclined to give one to Jay Leno, as host of The Tonight Show, or to NBC as the network that fired Don Imus.

This is some really fucked up shit, people.

First of all, attacking these student athletes as nappy headed or ugly is disgusting no matter who is doing it. But we fired one very important person for doing it. And now someone else is doing the same thing with impunity and apparently, IMMUNITY, because HE is black. And Jay Leno is what, untouchable as well? Are NBC's black employees going to be up in arms demanding that D.L. Hughley be banned from further network appearances or that Jay Leno be FIRED? What about the show's producers? Should their jobs be safe? Do you think Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are going to stand up and go after D.L. or NBC as a network that is now a serial degrader of the Rutgers women's basketball team?

And remember I'm on record saying I believe Imus should have been fired from all his various radio and TV shows.

But now I'm thinking... wow... shit like this is making a MOCKERY of the entire Imus affair and what we SAID it was about. Now, after Imus is gone with what was, ironically, his venue for 99% Democratic politicians and tons of liberal journalists to discuss world and national events, it's suddenly okay for us to get back to business as usual.

And what about the mockery it makes of the humiliation of the Rutgers women's basketball team? Because the thing is... DL was EMPHATIC. Like... yeah this is funny but it's funny because it is TRUE.

"Those WERE some nappy headed women. Some of the ugliest women I've ever seen."

Smh @ this corny ass negro Rolling Eyes Pathetic Evil or Very Mad

I'm Reggie Bush #1 Girl(Go Saints)
My Fab Five In Women's BasketBall
L.Harding/C.Parker/S.Fowles/S.Augustus/A.Price
Louisiana Hot Gyrl Here
Koopster

PostPosted: 05/04/07 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
This is the prime example of the speaker having license as he is a member of the racial minority group subject to the comments.

on that note, this was absolutely hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdhfyWbJhAk

Absolutely bend over funny. Tempting to start using the TiVo on the Daily Show again.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/04/07 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

For what it's worth, my understanding is that very few of the guests on the late night talk shows (or any talk show, for that matter) get paid. This is particular true of entertainers, who 99% of the time are coming to promote something. (I mean, really, do you think Kirsten Dunst got paid by CBS or Worldwide Pants to appear on Letterman on Monday?) They probably do sign a contract giving all rights to future everything to the people who own the show, but I bet that's about it.

NO ONE appears (works) on a show like Letterman or the Tonight show without getting paid and without a union approved contract the details of which are determined by the controlling union, in this case, AFTRA. Kirstin Dunst and DL Hughley, as members of AFTRA get a nominal fee (it's been in the $300 range forEVER) for an appearance on one of the late night talk shows. In this case it would be a standard AFTRA network television appearance contract with an NBC letterhead.

Lawyers. Rolling Eyes

What would they do without me? Wink

PostPosted: 05/04/07 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GOT IT! Razz

Downloading last night's Tonight Show from the newsgroups as I write this. I've got some work to do to crop to only this part of Hugley's segment but I've got a DIVX editor and I'll get it done and up ASAP.

PostPosted: 05/04/07 2:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
I would like to know how that process all unfolded. But right now... the only person who claims that this incident even happened on the entire internet that I can see, is ME. Shocked

Get over yourself, first of all.

Second of all, what legal implications? He didn't use language on television to warrant being fined (or The Tonight Show being fined). Don Imus was not fired for violation of laws; he was fired because of public pressure from people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson leading to sponsors pulling out. And Sharpton and Jackson are nowhere to be found here. Why? Because Hughley isn't white.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/04/07 4:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Get over yourself, first of all.

First of all, I have a question, because I'm curious. I didn't say a word to you before you came into the thread with condescending comments directed toward me. Explain yourself, cam. Because I'm trying very hard to be patient with your young ass.

Quote:
Second of all, what legal implications? He didn't use language on television to warrant being fined (or The Tonight Show being fined). Don Imus was not fired for violation of laws; he was fired because of public pressure from people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson leading to sponsors pulling out.

You're asking the question I posed. Except that I know that content is reviewed by lawyers at every network and for every scripted show or talk show that airs before it is broadcast. I wasn't asking due to a concern about FCC violations. I was asking in terms of what the network might be facing if Imus, who is now suing (or preparing to sue) CBS for breach of contract, sees fit to sue NBC for firing him for something and then allowing another comic to appear on an NBC-TV show and REPEAT and affirm the very things that got Imus fired.

I had QUESTIONS and was hoping for some discussion on this aspect of the story. I don't think the questions should have been deemed as somehow offensive to lawyers but in your case I guess I overestimated the patience and maturity of those who might enter the discussion.

Quote:
And Sharpton and Jackson are nowhere to be found here. Why? Because Hughley isn't white.

I don't know who really knows what at this moment about Hughley's statements on the Tonight Show because there is still nothing to be found on Google that refers to any of it. It's really like it never happened. Or, worse, that it REALLY doesn't matter.

Let me see if I can change all that. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 05/04/07 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First, do y'all not see that Hughley's remarks are a tacit validation of Imus's remarks? Back off from "ho," but the racist implications of "nappy-headed" remains in play. And not overly subtle to get a minor personality to do it-- the message gets sent, but not too newsworthy if it doesn't play well-- in case you're wondering why this is the only place this point is being discussed.

Second, why is anyone on national TV disparaging any wcbb team, for any reason, let alone their looks? How on earth does anyone think that's okay?

PostPosted: 05/04/07 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By the way, until "Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip" is formally cancelled, D.L. Hughley, who appears on that show, is an NBC contract employee, or at least, he's an employee on a show that airs on NBC.
And, while the show isn't on the air now, it is scheduled to return on May 24.
You're right, Jammer, someone should be making something of this, namely Media Matters and the National Association of Black Journalists and all the other interest groups that went after Imus. It's stuff like this that infuriates me as a black man. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it.
One last thing: Jay Leno is an asshole. Always has been.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 05/04/07 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Imus didn't have all of his sponsors pulling advertising from his show Imus would still be on the air no matter what Bull shit CBS feeds the media. So nothing will happen with this I wouldn't think unless sponsors pull advertising from Leno, and I don't see that happening unless it becomes a major news story that continues to be talked about over and over.

Kamala

PostPosted: 05/04/07 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Captain Marvel wrote:
By the way, until "Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip" is formally cancelled, D.L. Hughley, who appears on that show, is an NBC contract employee, or at least, he's an employee on a show that airs on NBC.
And, while the show isn't on the air now, it is scheduled to return on May 24.
You're right, Jammer, someone should be making something of this, namely Media Matters and the National Association of Black Journalists and all the other interest groups that went after Imus. It's stuff like this that infuriates me as a black man. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it.
One last thing: Jay Leno is an asshole. Always has been.

Don't try to equate DL and Don Imus. What DL said was hurtful. What Don Imus said was racist. There's no comparison.

PostPosted: 05/04/07 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kamala wrote:

Don't try to equate DL and Don Imus. What DL said was hurtful. What Don Imus said was racist. There's no comparison.

Spoken like an idiot that doesn't know what they're talking about. I must be a racist too then.... Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: