RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

D.L. Hughley On Rutgers Women...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/03/07 3:04 am    ::: D.L. Hughley On Rutgers Women... Reply Reply with quote

The jammer is on a roll with breaking news to the Rebkell world. The African American comic said this on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. I'm paraquoting.

"They were not hos. But those WERE some nappy headed women."

"Those were some of the ugliest women I've ever seen."

"When you can dribble a basketball and braid your hair at the same time, that is impressive."

Okayyy. I've got some problems with this. I'm not inclined to give DL, who I really like, a pass for this shit NOR am I inclined to give one to Jay Leno, as host of The Tonight Show, or to NBC as the network that fired Don Imus.

This is some really fucked up shit, people.

First of all, attacking these student athletes as nappy headed or ugly is disgusting no matter who is doing it. But we fired one very important person for doing it. And now someone else is doing the same thing with impunity and apparently, IMMUNITY, because HE is black. And Jay Leno is what, untouchable as well? Are NBC's black employees going to be up in arms demanding that D.L. Hughley be banned from further network appearances or that Jay Leno be FIRED? What about the show's producers? Should their jobs be safe? Do you think Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are going to stand up and go after D.L. or NBC as a network that is now a serial degrader of the Rutgers women's basketball team?

And remember I'm on record saying I believe Imus should have been fired from all his various radio and TV shows.

But now I'm thinking... wow... shit like this is making a MOCKERY of the entire Imus affair and what we SAID it was about. Now, after Imus is gone with what was, ironically, his venue for 99% Democratic politicians and tons of liberal journalists to discuss world and national events, it's suddenly okay for us to get back to business as usual.

And what about the mockery it makes of the humiliation of the Rutgers women's basketball team? Because the thing is... DL was EMPHATIC. Like... yeah this is funny but it's funny because it is TRUE.

"Those WERE some nappy headed women. Some of the ugliest women I've ever seen."

PostPosted: 05/03/07 3:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Couple of other notes. Imus was LIVE. The Tonight Show and NBC had HOURS to change this. And they should have. The audience, to their credit, reacted with GENUINE gasps and groans. The act, however, rolled on without a hitch.

Why would NBC let these terrible degrading things about the Rutgers women's basketball team be RE-SAID and AFFIRMED on their network's FLAGSHIP television show?

Disgraceful. No wonder Carson loved Letterman. And when Johnny died, Doc and Tommy and Ed Shaughnessy went on Letterman and played a tribute to Johnny. Think about it. There's class, and then there's NO class. I like Jay. He's a funny standup. But he has NO class and this proves it.

PostPosted: 05/03/07 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's that blurred line that is being mentioned here. Comics tend to get away with more. This was a good discussion on the view about how comics can say other things and not mean it because it's just for a laugh.

I don't know how he truly feels, but I think that is why the producers allowed it to go through.

bullsky

PostPosted: 05/03/07 7:24 am    ::: Re: D.L. Hughley On Rutgers Women... Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
This is some really fucked up shit, people.

It is, indeed.Shocked What was the crowd's reaction?

PostPosted: 05/03/07 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think as someone already said, it's because he's "supposed" to be a comedian. Although, I've never liked D.L. Hughley. I don't find him funny and would prefer Bernie Mac any day of the week. Imus isn't a comedian, although he thought he played one of tv. His show was more political and I think that it's the context of his show that got him in trouble. For the record I'm not vouching for how anything went down. I'm a black woman who really didn't think Imus should have been fired. I'm also a black woman who can't really stand D.L. Hughley or his crayola crayon complexion.

This is what also irritates me to no end. People make comments all of the time about how women's basketball players are supposedly so unattractive. They base this on seeing them during games without makeup, without jewelry, with their hair pulled back not for style but for functionality and while wearing baggy jerseys. I'm like what the hell do they expect? Have they not seen Tyra Banks or Halle Berry without makeup? It truly isn't a pleasant sight. I've seen Ajavon off of the court and she is very, very pretty. I mean, I'm not saying every Rutgers player is stunning or anything off court, but none of them in any way are unattractive.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 05/03/07 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I sent an e-mail to Media Matters about D.L. Hughley's remarks on Leno last night. That's the group that started the ball rolling on Don Imus.

As far as attractiveness, I think women's college basketball players look great on the court. Who needs makeup, hair extensions, jewelry, etc.? Then again, I'm a dyke and drawn to wholesome, natural-looking women.

mandih23

PostPosted: 05/03/07 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My biggest complaint is that none of this "attractiveness" talk has shit to do with BASKETBALL, these girls are getting their education paid for to do one thing: play basketball. I tune in to watch a basketball game, not to check the attractiveness of the people playing the game.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 05/03/07 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
I sent an e-mail to Media Matters about D.L. Hughley's remarks on Leno last night. That's the group that started the ball rolling on Don Imus.

As far as attractiveness, I think women's college basketball players look great on the court. Who needs makeup, hair extensions, jewelry, etc.? Then again, I'm a dyke and drawn to wholesome, natural-looking women.

Well, I'm a straight woman and I really don't care what they look like on or off the court. What I'm trying to say is that culturally most people here, male and female, are conditioned to seeing women with makeup and extensions and fake eyelashes etc. as the standard of beauty. I think everyone needs a reality check. Because um... that's not how your lady is going to look early in the morning. Or, in this case, on the basketball court.

Grumps

PostPosted: 05/03/07 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
It's that blurred line that is being mentioned here. Comics tend to get away with more. This was a good discussion on the view about how comics can say other things and not mean it because it's just for a laugh.

I don't know how he truly feels, but I think that is why the producers allowed it to go through.

If it had been a white comedian that made the remark the lynch mobs would have been out...Can you imagine the outrage if Michael Richards had made the remark...

Grumps

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/03/07 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-FUCKING-CUSE ME?!?!?!?!?!

I didn't realize my team was here to be objectified for anyone's fucking viewing pleasure. Oh, I'm so fucking sorry they're not pretty enough!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Even AFTER all of this, someone decides this is a good idea and that it might even be funny? And a *black* guy deciding this is a great thing to go back to long after it's been played out? I'm incoherently twitching here and trying not to strangle something.

PostPosted: 05/03/07 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This saddens me more than it angers me. Because it is apparent that many people still just do not get it.
STILL!!!

Isn't DL a family guy? Wait till someone refers to HIS daughter like that. I bet its not funny then!

PostPosted: 05/03/07 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Google this. NOTHING comes up.

PostPosted: 05/03/07 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Google this. NOTHING comes up.

Yep, I just had the same thought and nothing.

giraffespots

PostPosted: 05/03/07 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
umbeta1455 wrote:

If it had been a white comedian that made the remark the lynch mobs would have been out...Can you imagine the outrage if Michael Richards had made the remark...

Grumps

Isn't that the justification Imus initially made? That he said it in the context of a joke?

PostPosted: 05/03/07 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not true. Hughley hasn't been on Leno since January.

PostPosted: 05/03/07 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

According to Google, he was scheduled to be on last night with Fall Out Boy.
dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/03/07 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Niiiiiice....ironically, read this description of his new show on BET:

Hughley's series, "S.O.B.," kicking off in July, is a reality show that'll "use hidden cameras to test the value systems of people," said Hudlin. One scene shows the reaction of the staff and patrons of a segregated restaurant when a black couple try to get served.

And all this time I didn't know segregation was funny? Why didn't somebody tell me!!!!!

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 05/03/07 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa Lampanelli does racist jokes all the time. She does it with every race though but she can get away with it as a white woman.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/03/07 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
pilight wrote:

Hmm, it's not showing on imdb.

There's no clip of this alleged statement on youtube, which pretty much rules out any possibility that it actually happened.

PostPosted: 05/03/07 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:
pilight wrote:

There's no clip of this alleged statement on youtube, which pretty much rules out any possibility that it actually happened.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/bal-to.toptv02amay02,0,3052887.story?coll=bal-artslife-tv

Quote:
What to watch
Today on TV
Originally published May 2, 2007

THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO // Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney; actor D.L. Hughley; Fall Out Boy performs. (11:35 p.m., WBAL-11)
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/03/07 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
Lisa Lampanelli does racist jokes all the time. She does it with every race though but she can get away with it as a white woman.

She gets away with it because she makes fun of everyone, herself included, and she is funny.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/03/07 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:
pilight wrote:

You're such a serial jammer-button pusher that I had to disconnect the button. Razz

PostPosted: 05/03/07 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So is this basically the only place we're going to hear about this? I know DL's career is irrelevant but geez.
nolanNaugustus!

PostPosted: 05/03/07 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yea i agree that his comments were uncalled for..this situation should b treated like the previous one wit Imus..but i do think it was unfair to fire Imus

*** some people hate seeing others succeed***

Jay-Z - "I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man!"
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/03/07 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
umbeta1455 wrote:

She gets away with it because she makes fun of everyone, herself included, and she is funny.

From the great Don Rickles to Lisa Lampanelli insult comics have been an extremely funny, at least in my opinion, and maybe even a detoxifying genre of standup comedy. DL Hughley is NOT an insult comic. He's a topical, social observation comic.

And it's really really important in this instance to GET the joke. The joke was that other than the ho remark, what Imus said was TRUE. That's the social observation joke. The humor is in the irony of Imus getting fired for saying something that WE ALL KNOW is true. Shocked The funny thing is, he's saying, these actually WERE ugly nappy headed women. There is the tacet license he assumes he has because HE... is black. He would, after all, KNOW, being black himself. So HE can tell us all the truth about these black women because a) he KNOWS the truth and b) he's ALLOWED to say it.

Ha ha!

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 05/03/07 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: