RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Charli Turner Thorne joins the elite, in pay scale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caune

PostPosted: 05/02/07 2:12 pm    ::: Charli Turner Thorne joins the elite, in pay scale Reply Reply with quote

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/0502turnerthornelayer0502box.html

A raise from $275,000.00 to $400,000.00 in July, then to $500,000.00 in July 2008 Shocked It also gives her bonuses for athletic and acedemic acheivement..the team had 10 players on the Deans list last season so that bonus should keep her in fabulous shoes for awhile Wink

PostPosted: 05/02/07 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definately deserves it. Good for her. The Pac-10 needs good coaches.

PostPosted: 05/02/07 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shizanna wrote:

Hmmmmm ...

I know she has 1 Pac-10 tournament title. Has she ever won the conference regular season? She hasn't made a Final Four, and this was the first Elite Eight.

Seems like a lot of money for a coach who isn't in the elite in terms of on-court accomplishments.

shizanna

PostPosted: 05/02/07 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Compared to what it was? Let's encourage improvement, ANY improvement in the Pac-10. We really only can go up. Wink

PostPosted: 05/02/07 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
shizanna wrote:

Hmmmmm ...

I know she has 1 Pac-10 tournament title. Has she ever won the conference regular season? She hasn't made a Final Four, and this was the first Elite Eight.

Seems like a lot of money for a coach who isn't in the elite in terms of on-court accomplishments.

I guess they see her potential...and the fact that she was contacted about many of the job openings after their tournament run, so they want to kepp her. Good thing too because the womens program is looking good, I should know having suffered through many bad seasons.

And next season...watch out. With Bri January, Danielle Orsillo and Sybil Dosty they should be a really tough team!

PostPosted: 05/02/07 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
shizanna wrote:

Hmmmmm ...

I guess they see her potential...and the fact that she was contacted about many of the job openings after their tournament run, so they want to kepp her. Good thing too because the womens program is looking good, I should know having suffered through many bad seasons.

And next season...watch out. With Bri January, Danielle Orsillo and Sybil Dosty they should be a really tough team!

This is the right year to capitalize with all of the openings. Can you even imagine how many different coaches received at least one call from somebody in regards to another job? We've even seen raises/extentions and still had a coach leave.

Sec310

PostPosted: 05/02/07 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shizanna wrote:
Compared to what it was? Let's encourage improvement, ANY improvement in the Pac-10. We really only can go up. Wink

The Pac-10 accepts losing and mediocrity.

Maybe UW will start a new trend and stop the thinking that winning 18 games a year is good enough.

Arizona has slipped and Joan has never been able to get over the hump. She needs to go.

KO at UCLA needs to go.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 05/02/07 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:

Don't forget Dymond Simon!

Mathies to LA 2013
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 05/02/07 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sec310 wrote:
shizanna wrote:

Maybe UW will start a new trend and stop the thinking that winning 18 games a year is good enough.

Arizona has slipped and Joan has never been able to get over the hump. She needs to go.

KO at UCLA needs to go.

I'm there with you Sec310. Washington just always seems on the verge of breaking out mediocrity without actually doing it.

Whatever happened to Joan? And KO? Don't even get me started there.

I think Charli is heading in the right direction. I think simply put, Stanford has had the better talent all this time but CTT keeps knocking on the door and she will eventually get through. Her getting to the Elite Eight this year was no fluke. She deserves what she's got and I'm glad she stayed at ASU.

Sec310

PostPosted: 05/03/07 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Sec310 wrote:
shizanna wrote:

KO at UCLA needs to go.

I'm there with you Sec310. Washington just always seems on the verge of breaking out mediocrity without actually doing it.

Whatever happened to Joan? And KO? Don't even get me started there.

I think Charli is heading in the right direction. I think simply put, Stanford has had the better talent all this time but CTT keeps knocking on the door and she will eventually get through. Her getting to the Elite Eight this year was no fluke. She deserves what she's got and I'm glad she stayed at ASU.

I'm not so sure about Charli. How long are you going to allow her to knock on the door before you start question if she can break down the door?

I've followed ASU closely. They had a very good looking team, Lauren Stagg, Kylan Loney, (Lauren and Kylan are two of the nicest people ever.) Betsey Boardman, Jen Albert etc. But even with all that talent they didn't win the Pac-10. The first year of the Pac-10 tourney they won but it's been Stanford's trophy ever since. BTW maybe it's time to move it from San Jose (basically Stanford's home court) and back to Oregon.

I know this will cause some debate. But I think Charli is a smarter Rene Portland or a PC Portland. Look at her teams. I doubt she would ever allow a lesbian on the team.

I also have a big issue with Charli when she said something to the effect of "I only want teams with female head coaches at this tourney" which raised money for breast cancer. Her stupid reasoning is that breast cancer mainly effects woman. Total BULLSHIT. Besides the fact that men do suffer from breast cancer, mean are effected by breast cancer. I hope Charli's husband and sons never to have see Charli suffer the effects of breast cancer. I'm sure her husband and sons would be effect by breast cancer. Charli, just shut the hell up and coach.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 05/03/07 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look for Cal to improve as well....Boyle didn't turn Duke down to play in a mediocre league....with a mediocre team. The Bears will be on the move!!!

beknighted

PostPosted: 05/03/07 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sec310 wrote:
I know this will cause some debate. But I think Charli is a smarter Rene Portland or a PC Portland. Look at her teams. I doubt she would ever allow a lesbian on the team.

I'm kind of curious how you or she would know a lesbian just by looking.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 05/03/07 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Sec310 wrote:

Maybe it's the shoes the players wear after the game!!! You know what they say about lesbian shoes!!! Rolling Eyes Wink

kage

PostPosted: 05/03/07 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
beknighted wrote:
Sec310 wrote:

Maybe it's the shoes the players wear after the game!!! You know what they say about lesbian shoes!!! Rolling Eyes Wink

Remember what we've learned from 30 Rock: Alec Baldwin can tell what shoes are bi-curious!
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 05/04/07 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sec310 wrote:
I'm not so sure about Charli. How long are you going to allow her to knock on the door before you start question if she can break down the door?

I've followed ASU closely. They had a very good looking team, Lauren Stagg, Kylan Loney, (Lauren and Kylan are two of the nicest people ever.) Betsey Boardman, Jen Albert etc. But even with all that talent they didn't win the Pac-10. The first year of the Pac-10 tourney they won but it's been Stanford's trophy ever since. BTW maybe it's time to move it from San Jose (basically Stanford's home court) and back to Oregon.

I think you're being WAAAAYYY too pessimistic here. Giver her a chance and I think she will succeed. It's not like Stanford is that easy to topple. She's had to build her program. Now, if we come back a few years from now and we're still having this discussion, then I'll agree with you.

Moving the NCAA tourney away from San Jose would be great. Now, I'm wondering if they have some sort of long-term agreement for it. If they had it in Los Angeles instead of Oregon, that would be even better. Wink

Sec310

PostPosted: 05/04/07 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Sec310 wrote:

I think you're being WAAAAYYY too pessimistic here. Giver her a chance and I think she will succeed. It's not like Stanford is that easy to topple. She's had to build her program. Now, if we come back a few years from now and we're still having this discussion, then I'll agree with you.

Moving the NCAA tourney away from San Jose would be great. Now, I'm wondering if they have some sort of long-term agreement for it. If they had it in Los Angeles instead of Oregon, that would be even better. Wink

How long has CTT been at ASU? How long do you give her to build her program???

caune

PostPosted: 05/04/07 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Guess again wise man...she has them now Shocked and she's had them in the past.
Charli may be Christian, but she is also a Democrat Shocked Very Happy ....she pretty much accepts all people in the same nice girl fashion that has made her a favorite of players, fans, and the University.

Now about her Pac 10 championships, who the hell cares, she didn't win it this year yet made it to the elite 8 in the tournment that counts...Tennesse didn't win their conference championship, so I guess Pat ain't worth the money either Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 05/04/07 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sec310 wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
Sec310 wrote:

How long do you give her to build her program??? What planet have you been in ??? You followed ASU closely and you ask a stupid question like that?? Charli has build her program from scratch, the cupboard wasn't empty when she got here, it was missing entirely!

Maybe she hasn't won a Pac 10 or NCAA championship lately but ASU has arrived and will be one of the elite teams in the country, just check out the progression of her teams the last 4 yrs, next season's team will be much better than the one that went 31-5 16-2 this past year!!!

SuziQ

PostPosted: 05/04/07 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Quote:

Charli may be Christian, but she is also a Democrat Shocked Very Happy ....she pretty much accepts all people in the same nice girl fashion that has made her a favorite of players, fans, and the University.

Now about her Pac 10 championships, who the hell cares, she didn't win it this year yet made it to the elite 8 in the tournment that counts...Tennesse didn't win their conference championship, so I guess Pat ain't worth the money either Rolling Eyes

Preach it, sister! I'm so sick of people bad-mouthing CTT, saying ASU's nothing because we haven't won the PAC10 yet. But I sure as hell didn't see Stanford in the Elite 8, thank you very much.

Charli's worth every damn penny, IMO. ASU has kept on a steady rise, and I expect great things from them in the future. Each year gets a little better, and I think that's the kind of coach you want - constantly improving. As the team wins more, and she's able to attract even higher quality recruits, you'll see what she can do and E8 appearances will become common. And it's not a pipe-dream to think about a championship someday soon, either.

PostPosted: 05/05/07 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zsasu wrote:
Sec310 wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
Sec310 wrote:

How long do you give her to build her program??? What planet have you been in ??? You followed ASU closely and you ask a stupid question like that?? Charli has build her program from scratch, the cupboard wasn't empty when she got here, it was missing entirely!

Maybe she hasn't won a Pac 10 or NCAA championship lately but ASU has arrived and will be one of the elite teams in the country, just check out the progression of her teams the last 4 yrs, next season's team will be much better than the one that went 31-5 16-2 this past year!!!

That's the point you space cadet. She needs to win the Pac-10 regular season and/or tourney. She can't overcome Stanford. Until that happens ASU is just a pretender.

zsasu

PostPosted: 05/05/07 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sec310 wrote:
zsasu wrote:
Sec310 wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
Sec310 wrote:

That's the point you space cadet. She needs to win the Pac-10 regular season and/or tourney. She can't overcome Stanford. Until that happens ASU is just a pretender.

Well, stay tune you stupid idiot! Stanford reign in the Pac 10 will be coming to a end this season! Pretender, the only pretender here is you!!!

caune

PostPosted: 05/05/07 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sec310 wrote:

But why is winning the PAC 10 so important?? Serious question, why is it so important?
Duke didn't win the ACC, Tennessee didn't win the SEC. Conference tournaments may bring pride to a school, but they don't count for much if you are knocked out in the second round of the big dance. Just ask Candace Wiggins if she'd trade her Pac 10 championship for a longer run in the tournament Shocked
Stanford seems more of a "pretender". ASU just exceeds expectations and improves every year and Stanford keeps losing when people expect them to compete at the big dance Shocked

PostPosted: 05/05/07 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Sec310 wrote:

But why is winning the PAC 10 so important?? Serious question, why is it so important?
Duke didn't win the ACC, Tennessee didn't win the SEC. Conference tournaments may bring pride to a school, but they don't count for much if you are knocked out in the second round of the big dance. Just ask Candace Wiggins if she'd trade her Pac 10 championship for a longer run in the tournament Shocked
Stanford seems more of a "pretender". ASU just exceeds expectations and improves every year and Stanford keeps losing when people expect them to compete at the big dance Shocked

The conference regular season and tourney titles are important according to Charli. She wants to win them badly. That's the drill. Do your best to win the conference round robin, win the conference tourney, and do well in the NCAAs. They may not all matter equally, but they matter.

Short memory you have. In 06 ASU lost early to Utah while Stanford upset Oklahoma to reach the Elite Eight and came within a tough call of the Final Four. This is ASU's first Elite Eight. Unless and until ASU hits three Elite Eights in a row, as Stanford has until 07, or wins a conference championship, maybe refrain from calling the team that has done those things a "pretender". Kind of silly to call a team that beats you three times in a season a pretender. Also a useless discussion because Stanford doing well does not negate ASU doing well and vice versa.

Why is it an either or proposition? Why put down Stanford to show ASU is a good team? There is room for more than one good team from the Pac-10. No need to tear down one team to build up the other. Other fans are perfectly happy to have several good teams in their conferences. Too many Pac-10 fans seem to feel the only way to argue that they are good is by making the other conference teams (mainly Stanford) look bad. If Stanford, ASU, Cal, etc are all very good, we all win. The ideal is several teams with the ability to win the conference and do well in the NCAAs.

Enjoy the good seasons for what they are. You never know what bad luck can come to derail things. I know the "my team is better, yours sucks" game is a mainstay on message boards, but the Pac-10 gets enough grief from the WBB world at large that maybe we Pac-10 fans could stick together just a little?

caune

PostPosted: 05/05/07 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

insidewinder wrote:
caune wrote:
Sec310 wrote:

The conference regular season and tourney titles are important according to Charli. She wants to win them badly. That's the drill. Do your best to win the conference round robin, win the conference tourney, and do well in the NCAAs. They may not all matter equally, but they matter.

Short memory you have. In 06 ASU lost early to Utah while Stanford upset Oklahoma to reach the Elite Eight and came within a tough call of the Final Four. This is ASU's first Elite Eight. Unless and until ASU hits three Elite Eights in a row, as Stanford has until 07, or wins a conference championship, maybe refrain from calling the team that has done those things a "pretender". Kind of silly to call a team that beats you three times in a season a pretender. Also a useless discussion because Stanford doing well does not negate ASU doing well and vice versa.

Why is it an either or proposition? Why put down Stanford to show ASU is a good team? There is room for more than one good team from the Pac-10. No need to tear down one team to build up the other. Other fans are perfectly happy to have several good teams in their conferences. Too many Pac-10 fans seem to feel the only way to argue that they are good is by making the other conference teams (mainly Stanford) look bad. If Stanford, ASU, Cal, etc are all very good, we all win. The ideal is several teams with the ability to win the conference and do well in the NCAAs.

Enjoy the good seasons for what they are. You never know what bad luck can come to derail things. I know the "my team is better, yours sucks" game is a mainstay on message boards, but the Pac-10 gets enough grief from the WBB world at large that maybe we Pac-10 fans could stick together just a little?

oh somebody missed the sarcasm plane....I was using the posters own words agains him (see quote marks). I like Stanford, I like Cal, I like the Pac 10. But as an ASU season ticket holder I really could give a rats arse about winning the pac 10 tournament title, Charli may care, that's her job, but as a fan I want NCAA wins first and foremost.

Charlis been at it for 11 seasons now at ASU, when she reaches Taras tenure I'm sure she will have many elite eights, final fours and maybe even that hard to come by Championship! Stay tuned

PostPosted: 05/07/07 3:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SuziQ wrote:
caune wrote:
Quote:

Preach it, sister! I'm so sick of people bad-mouthing CTT, saying ASU's nothing because we haven't won the PAC10 yet. But I sure as hell didn't see Stanford in the Elite 8, thank you very much.

Charli's worth every damn penny, IMO. ASU has kept on a steady rise, and I expect great things from them in the future. Each year gets a little better, and I think that's the kind of coach you want - constantly improving. As the team wins more, and she's able to attract even higher quality recruits, you'll see what she can do and E8 appearances will become common. And it's not a pipe-dream to think about a championship someday soon, either.

Wow, two great posts! Lol, there's nothing left to say, except I agree!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: