RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Here's Parker's People Magazine photo for Most Beautiful

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/28/07 1:09 pm    ::: Here's Parker's People Magazine photo for Most Beautiful Reply Reply with quote

Um, okay "baby hairs". I think she just has a hairy forehead and is trying to play it off with the obvious amount of attention she pays to grooming them.

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 04/30/07 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hotter chicks (in no order):

Ayla Brown
Marissa Coleman
Lindsay Harding
Crystal Langhorne
Brianna McGuire

...of course, it is all a matter of opinion.

Mphswnbafan

PostPosted: 05/03/07 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she is better looking dunking her donut in your avatar.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 05/03/07 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mphswnbafan wrote:
I think she is better looking dunking her donut in your avatar.
Me, too! What's with that Sheena Queen of the Jungle outfit and the raccoon eye-makeup? Shocked

Elizabeth

PostPosted: 05/03/07 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a strange photo. I think she's very pretty naturally and doesn't need all that makeup and weird lighting.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 05/03/07 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey, I'm just the messenger. Smile

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 05/03/07 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have been accused of harboring a pathological hatred of Candace Parker, so I'd better not chime in on this thread. But if I did, here's what I'd say (not that I'm actually saying it):

I woke up this a.m., and what are the top threads on the RebKell wcbb board? Candace Parker's People pic and D.L. Hughley's remarks about the RU women on Leno. Unrelated, you think?

First, I must clarify: I have no hatred of Candace Parker whatsoever. My "anti-Parker" remarks have consistently been to the effect that the media has jammed her down our throats in anticipation of making her the next big "poster woman" for the W. The media has picked Parker not because she can play, but because some decision has been made that she is photogenic in a way that will not "threaten" a predominantly Caucasian market. In response, some others on the board have accused me of "hating" Parker, and others have as much as accused me of seeing some kind of "racist conspiracy"-- as if such a thing Could Not Happen Here.

So here we are with People Magazine and D.L. Hughley on Leno. Folks, note the skin tone on that People photo of Candace. Compare it to luvDhoops's avatar. Note the yellow light, soft focus and overexposure that diminishes sharp contrast on the facial features. Note the heavy eye makeup that diminishes the natural color of her eyes. Note the straight hair. In plain blunt terms, People made Candace as white as they could make her.

Now enter D.L. Hughley. The RU players aren't "ho's" he says-- but they are some of the "ugliest women I have ever seen." (taking quote from jammerbiri's thread, http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=27337). And, apparently, Leno took it all in. And NBC aired it. (For the record, the RU roster has a couple of white players.) And in case you had your subtext turned off: It's still okay to impugn black women in Amerika, but for you "liberals" out there, we'll hire a black man to do it so the racist undertones are not so obvious.

So when advertisers decide to develop a black woman as a marketing icon, they white her up as much as possible. Because it's basketball. But it's being sold to white people. And as we all know, black women are ugly-- even black guys say so.

Anyway, that's what I would say if I was chiming in on this thread. But I'm not.

PostPosted: 05/03/07 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
I have been accused of harboring a pathological hatred of Candace Parker, so I'd better not chime in on this thread. But if I did, here's what I'd say (not that I'm actually saying it):

I woke up this a.m., and what are the top threads on the RebKell wcbb board? Candace Parker's People pic and D.L. Hughley's remarks about the RU women on Leno. Unrelated, you think?

First, I must clarify: I have no hatred of Candace Parker whatsoever. My "anti-Parker" remarks have consistently been to the effect that the media has jammed her down our throats in anticipation of making her the next big "poster woman" for the W. The media has picked Parker not because she can play, but because some decision has been made that she is photogenic in a way that will not "threaten" a predominantly Caucasian market. In response, some others on the board have accused me of "hating" Parker, and others have as much as accused me of seeing some kind of "racist conspiracy"-- as if such a thing Could Not Happen Here.

So here we are with People Magazine and D.L. Hughley on Leno. Folks, note the skin tone on that People photo of Candace. Compare it to luvDhoops's avatar. Note the yellow light, soft focus and overexposure that diminishes sharp contrast on the facial features. Note the heavy eye makeup that diminishes the natural color of her eyes. Note the straight hair. In plain blunt terms, People made Candace as white as they could make her.

Now enter D.L. Hughley. The RU players aren't "ho's" he says-- but they are some of the "ugliest women I have ever seen." (taking quote from jammerbiri's thread, http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=27337). And, apparently, Leno took it all in. And NBC aired it. (For the record, the RU roster has a couple of white players.) And in case you had your subtext turned off: It's still okay to impugn black women in Amerika, but for you "liberals" out there, we'll hire a black man to do it so the racist undertones are not so obvious.

So when advertisers decide to develop a black woman as a marketing icon, they white her up as much as possible. Because it's basketball. But it's being sold to white people. And as we all know, black women are ugly-- even black guys say so.

Anyway, that's what I would say if I was chiming in on this thread. But I'm not.

Well, your theory may have held weight if not for the fact that Lisa Leslie and Sheryl Swoopes have been the marketed "face" of not only the league, but women's basketball in general for years and years. There are plenty of people who still haven't heard of Candace Parker but know Lisa and Sheryl and those two are very much on the "dark" end of the African American spectrum. Even now, Swin Cash is also very much presented as the face of the league. She's also very "chocolate". What's your rationale behind those moves?

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 05/03/07 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:

Well, your theory may have held weight if not for the fact that Lisa Leslie and Sheryl Swoopes have been the marketed "face" of not only the league, but women's basketball in general for years and years. There are plenty of people who still haven't heard of Candace Parker but know Lisa and Sheryl and those two are very much on the "dark" end of the African American spectrum. Even now, Swin Cash is also very much presented as the face of the league. She's also very "chocolate". What's your rationale behind those moves?

Different marketing strategy maybe, now reaching beyond what marketers might consider a "core" market. Don't lose sight of my central point, that racism is still at work, albeit in subtle ways.

PostPosted: 05/03/07 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it is more a reflection of how primitive and minor league the media that cover women's basketball are. It is an "old girl/boy" network that only know certain schools and let a very small group of programs manipulate them. Look at Tenn.'s marketing machine and its recent work:
1) Pat in the cheerleader outfit, an attempt to portray her as a fun-loving coach
2) Pat's State Farm commercial
3) the total scam dunk contest at the McD's AA game won by Candace- total BS
4) the non-stop hype about Candace before she ever stepped on the floor
5) awards given to Candace before games/seasons were ever played
6) the BS rumors, most likely started by UT, that Candace might be turning pro- done to keep her name in headlines
7) Candace as an ESPY nominee last year- why?
Cool the overhyping of the dunks in games- so what, they are not what the women's game is about
9) Pat's people put in place on ESPN, you can even throw in Stacy Dales, who the Mystics (Pat as consultant) allowed to go to Chicago, where a certain star player's mom apparently happened to get a job in the front office...next thing you know, Stacy is dropping star player's mom's name in highlights and singing UT's praises...hmmmmmm
10) Pat and a few other prominent coaches being portrayed as the moral high ground of the sport. Vomit.

The People magazine thing should not be a surprise. WBB is still primitive. Look at who the major media are covering the game and how they are completely under the spell of a handful of coaches/programs who manipulate them for their own benefit.

And...it should be added...credit to those coaches for being able to establish this control. It has made them a lot of dough.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 05/03/07 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think both bballjunkee212 and Toliver...Holy Cow! are smoking the same wack ass weed.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/03/07 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
the total scam dunk contest at the McD's AA game won by Candace- total BS

Didn't that happen before she committed to Tennessee?

PostPosted: 05/03/07 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hrmm. Actually I'm a bit inclined to agree with bball. I thought Candace was a latina girl from looking at the 100 Most Beautiful pic. Not that that's bad, but there's a noticeable lightening of her skin tone (of course, given the current mood re: immigrants, who knows -- then again, latinas include Shakira... Jennifer Lopez...).

Like Mphs, I like her better in your dunking donuts pic, which I think is adorable. Keep grinning, Candace! Very Happy

Last edited by kage on 05/03/07 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
ucbart

PostPosted: 05/03/07 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Quote:
the total scam dunk contest at the McD's AA game won by Candace- total BS

Didn't that happen before she committed to Tennessee?

No, she won it at the McDonald's AA game festivities.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/03/07 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver...Holy Cow! wrote:

How was it a scam? She completed her dunks; the boys did not.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 05/03/07 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

How was it a scam? She completed her dunks; the boys did not.

Precisely.

Toliver... Holy Cow! wrote:
I think it is more a reflection of how primitive and minor league the media that cover women's basketball are. It is an "old girl/boy" network that only know certain schools and let a very small group of programs manipulate them. Look at Tenn.'s marketing machine and its recent work:
1) Pat in the cheerleader outfit, an attempt to portray her as a fun-loving coach
2) Pat's State Farm commercial
4) the non-stop hype about Candace before she ever stepped on the floor
5) awards given to Candace before games/seasons were ever played
6) the BS rumors, most likely started by UT, that Candace might be turning pro- done to keep her name in headlines
7) Candace as an ESPY nominee last year- why?
Cool the overhyping of the dunks in games- so what, they are not what the women's game is about
9) Pat's people put in place on ESPN, you can even throw in Stacy Dales, who the Mystics (Pat as consultant) allowed to go to Chicago, where a certain star player's mom apparently happened to get a job in the front office...next thing you know, Stacy is dropping star player's mom's name in highlights and singing UT's praises...hmmmmmm
10) Pat and a few other prominent coaches being portrayed as the moral high ground of the sport. Vomit.

The People magazine thing should not be a surprise. WBB is still primitive. Look at who the major media are covering the game and how they are completely under the spell of a handful of coaches/programs who manipulate them for their own benefit.

And...it should be added...credit to those coaches for being able to establish this control. It has made them a lot of dough.

1. Bruce Pearl stood shirtless with body paint for their Duke game. It had everything to do with reciprocation for Bruce's actions than with some campaign to display her fun loving side. Would you rather she had gone topless too?

2. Pat is one of the most known figures in the sport. If State Farm wants to pay her to be a spokesperson for their insurance than more power to her. God.

3. Candace did indeed win by default. But er um... You get 0 points for missed dunks. Perhaps the guys, especially the last one, should have kept that in mind before doing acrobatic stunts with a 2% chance of completing them. IMO, the guy who competed after Candace was an idiot. He sticks just a basic dunk on his final attempt, we're not even having this discussion. He knew Candace was in the lead at that time.

4. Much like Maya Moore is receiving now right. Face it, good hs players who go to storied programs receive hype. It happens on the men's side. Face it, get over it.

5. Sort of like "Freshman of the Year" last season, right?

6. Question, why in the hell would UT fuel a rumor that their best player is leaving their program early? ESPN was the engine running that show dear.

7. That statement just sounds like pure envy, no need for a reply actually.

8. You skipped a number, must be the weed.

9. WTH are "Pat's People"? Kara Lawson is one of the most unbiased personalities present and the best, in most people's opinion, ESPN has to offer as far as commentators. Stacey Dales changed her opinion and vote for best team and best player no less than 20 times last season and she along with ESPN chose Lindsey Harding as their POY. The rest of what you said here is just dumb. Stacey began dropping Sara Parker's name as UT progressed in the tournament. What was she supposed to do, drop Candice Wiggins' dad's name when Stanford had already been eliminated? Or, Courntey's dad when OU was eliminated?

10. Um... who exactly has painted Pat and other prominent coaches as the "moral high ground" of the sport?

caune

PostPosted: 05/03/07 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Laughing Laughing UT did not start those rumors...WE started those rumors, yes we posters on the internets, this board in particular. Yep, they read it here first Shocked

Quote:

Again, Laughing Laughing Pat is potrayed as the moral high ground???
Well she is the winningest coach EVER, so that does put her on some very high ground!

PostPosted: 05/03/07 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like there's nothing bizarre or pathological about psycho-analysis of a people magazine photo spread on pretty people? Rolling Eyes

Swoopes_Tompson_Comets22

PostPosted: 05/03/07 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ayla Brown
Marissa Coleman
Lindsay Harding
Crystal Langhorne
Brianna McGuire

I think Sheryl Swoopes is much prettier then her.

But thats only my opinion. Very Happy

kage

PostPosted: 05/03/07 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Like there's nothing bizarre or pathological about psycho-analysis of a people magazine photo spread on pretty people? Rolling Eyes

*grin* I probably shouldn't be talking either. I thought Lindsey Harding was an Indian (as in the country India...) basketball player when I first saw her picture. Laughing
mercfan3

PostPosted: 05/03/07 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swoopes_Tompson_Comets22 wrote:

Ayla Brown
Marissa Coleman
Lindsay Harding
Crystal Langhorne
Brianna McGuire

Hell, I could name a whole bunch of Uconn players that I thought were prettier..not that I'm biased...

I think it's kind of sad that someone's turning a good thing for WCBB into a race issue.

She's black. You can tell by the picture she's black. Candace straightens her own hair, her hair there is curlier than I've ever seen it.

Her makeup...come on, girls wear makeup..all races (as far as I know..)

Candace has a beautiful skin tone. It isn't naturally really dark (it's not naturally light either) there is absolutely nothing racist about thinking she's pretty.

Oh...and Geno is clearly THE highest moral high ground for the sport..

PostPosted: 05/03/07 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is the WORST picture of Candace I have ever seen. They would have done better with an action shot.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
MadDog22

PostPosted: 05/03/07 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Candace Parker is a very pretty woman, but I don't like this picture.

One of the prettiest Lady Vols of all time was Tye Fluker. When I saw her in person at the SEC tournament, I thought she was a model.

Swoopes_Tompson_Comets22

PostPosted: 05/04/07 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Swoopes_Tompson_Comets22 wrote:

Ayla Brown
Marissa Coleman
Lindsay Harding
Crystal Langhorne
Brianna McGuire

Hell, I could name a whole bunch of Uconn players that I thought were prettier..not that I'm biased...

I think it's kind of sad that someone's turning a good thing for WCBB into a race issue.

She's black. You can tell by the picture she's black. Candace straightens her own hair, her hair there is curlier than I've ever seen it.

Her makeup...come on, girls wear makeup..all races (as far as I know..)

Candace has a beautiful skin tone. It isn't naturally really dark (it's not naturally light either) there is absolutely nothing racist about thinking she's pretty.

Oh...and Geno is clearly THE highest moral high ground for the sport..

Candace is a very pretty girl, Race has nothing to do with it.

I sometimes think that black women is more prettier than other races. But thats just my opinion again.

I just stated that i thought in my own opinion that Sheryl was prettier nothing more.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/08/07 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All the women noted in these blogs are beautiful whether nappy, straight, bald, blond or otherwise. I'd be most pleased to be with anyone of them. What the hell does race, darkness or lightness have to do with it?

Eye candy is eye candy whether it's vanilla, chocolate or strawberry.........I like it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: