RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Asst. Sides leaving LSU
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lola528

PostPosted: 05/01/07 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holy shit! This thread has gone right down the tubes. Do you people not only all know each other, but despise each other as well??

FWIW, on the subject of attractiveness, there have been many studies done that indicate that everyone is guilty (if only subconsciously) of favoring people that appear to them to be attractive. Attractive people get higher grades, get hired more often, get bigger raises, etc. etc.--true of both men and women. Tall people get hired more, too, and promoted more often. And don't even get me started on how unkind society is to the overweight!! To mention this or point this out does not make someone sexist or racist or anything-ist. It's just a plain fact, no matter how much we may all wish it were otherwise.

Is it the off-season and the bad taste left in our mouths from the Imus thing, or the uncertainties caused by the coaching carousel that is making people touchy? The name calling is giving me that de'ja vu feeling--I'm suddenly back on the playground at Oakland School, and it's recess, and the 5th graders are at it again...

LTF1

PostPosted: 05/02/07 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lola:"everyone is guilty (if only subconsciously) of favoring people that appear to them to be attractive."

Guilty? Is evolution, ie favoring people who are attractive, a crime?

wh:"Not all insults are created equal."

But who judges which insults are more serious than others? Tom may think a particular insult is more serious than Harry. Who decides which words are more vulgar than others? Do you think your views on the subject are the bottom line? For you, certainly, and anyone who you might find that agrees with you. But your views on the subject are not in any objective way, definitive.

wh:"And incidentally, what is the point of the asterisks? When you type out "a**"

I know the people of this board well enough to know that even if I put other folks' vulgarity in quotations, I would be charged with hypocrisy for posting them.

wh:"Would my vulgarity be less offensive if I threw in an asterisk occasionally? Like "shut your f*cking face, you fucki*g cock*ucker."

Of course not, because it is your intention to convey insults through vulgar language. Of course the problem is solved if you decided not to use vulgarity on this board altogether. How often do you use the above language in the courtroom btw or with a client you do not know well? True, this is not a courtroom, but it is a public forum and you certainly don't know me beyond a few electronic blips on a screen

A life of leisure is no life you know"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPeJixp-zp4&feature=related
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/02/07 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF, learn how to use the quote feature. It really is simple.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 05/02/07 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
But who judges which insults are more serious than others? Do you think your views on the subject are the bottom line?

All meanings are conventional -- they are the product of social convention. Sometimes the linguistic conventions aren't clear, sometimes they are. Everyone knows that n-word is worse than asshole. If you doubt it, ask your colleagues.

You were being fatuous in equating "ass" to the racialized insults used by Imus. Your plea for consistency was a sham. But I suspect you know that already.

LTF1 wrote:
True, this is not a courtroom, but it is a public forum and you certainly don't know me beyond a few electronic blips on a screen

Social conventions regarding usage vary by context and setting. Some things are appropriate to say in a chatroom but not a courtroom. Under the socio-linguistic conventions of this particular chatroom, vulgarity is accepted in many contexts. If you don't like it, you can leave and start your own.

You suggest, as an aside, that anonymity is somehow relevant. That's a strange point to make since you are the one who chooses to hide behind an anonymous internet handle.

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
LTF, learn how to use the quote feature. It really is simple.

yes, another convention of this board is that if you are responding to something particular that someone else said, you should quote the relevant excerpt using the quote function. It is really very simple.

LTF1

PostPosted: 05/02/07 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wh:"Everyone knows that n-word is worse than asshole. If you doubt it, ask your colleagues."

I never said it wasn't.

wh:"You were being fatuous in equating "ass" to the racialized insults used by Imus"

There was also "mutha" something or another and your own use of "cock*ucker" which imo are every much as offensive as "ho" or "nappyhaired" if not more so. Simply because an insult or vulgarity is racist does not necc make it worse than those that are not. Subjectively, I think the "N" word is worse than "muthaf*****", but I think mutha**** is worse than "nappy haired", hence the subjective nature of rating insults/vulgarities

canrn:"LTF, learn how to use the quote feature. It really is simple.
Quote:
Quote:

I have tried a number of times and I can't get it to work properly. I am also not losing sleep over it. I am rather amazed at how much it bothers people though.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/02/07 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You hit the "quote" button in response to the message to which you are responding. Can't get it to work? All you do is click a freakin' button! Rolling Eyes

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 05/02/07 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
your own use of "cock*ucker" which imo are every much as offensive as "ho" or "nappyhaired" if not more so.

I wasn't calling you or anyone a fucking cocksucker, incidentally. I was simply using a vulgar movie quote as an example -- to show the stupidity and futility of using asterisks -- to show that vulgarity with a few letters bleeped out is just as vulgar.

LTF1 wrote:
I know the people of this board well enough to know that even if I put other folks' vulgarity in quotations, I would be charged with hypocrisy for posting them.

I guess I didn't know you well enough to know that even if I put vulgarity from movies in quotations, I would be charged with vulgarity for quoting them.

But maybe I am assuming too much in the way of shared pop culture referents. Maybe I didn't get the quote quite right. [No, I didn't. It was actually "Give me the fucking keys, you fucking cocksucking motherfucker." I'll make sure to quote it correctly from now on.]

PostPosted: 05/02/07 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
LTF1 wrote:
your own use of "cock*ucker" which imo are every much as offensive as "ho" or "nappyhaired" if not more so.

I wasn't calling you or anyone a fucking cocksucker, incidentally. I was simply using a vulgar movie quote as an example -- to show the stupidity and futility of using asterisks -- to show that vulgarity with a few letters bleeped out is just as vulgar.

LTF1 wrote:

I guess I didn't know you well enough to know that even if I put vulgarity from movies in quotations, I would be charged with vulgarity for quoting them.

But maybe I am assuming too much in the way of shared pop culture referents. Maybe I didn't get the quote quite right. [No, I didn't. It was actually "Give me the fucking keys, you fucking cocksucking motherfucker." I'll make sure to quote it correctly from now on.]

The Usual Suspects?

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 05/02/07 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
The Usual Suspects?

indeed.

(Another movie that is better than "Crash." Wink )

PostPosted: 05/02/07 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"But maybe I am assuming too much in the way of shared pop culture referents."

Indeed, I have NO idea what film you are talking about, but then I only see about three movies a year, usually children's movies with my six year old daughter. We might rent a dvd now and then but I have not been really interested in films since leaving graduate school 13 years ago. I lost interest when I realized that all in all there are only about 20 different films, but just that there are endless variations of them.

Quote:
Quote:

Well I was trying to quote CamrnCrz but that doesn't seem to be working

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 05/02/07 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
Indeed, I have NO idea what film you are talking about, but then I only see about three movies a year, usually children's movies with my six year old daughter.

yes, I too have largely stopped watching movies since I had a kid. I watch Dora and Diego. I watch sports. And I watch cable shows (The Wire, Deadwood) via Netflix. That's about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: