RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Turbulent Grentz era at Illinois ends not a moment too soon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 04/21/07 9:58 am    ::: Turbulent Grentz era at Illinois ends not a moment too soon Reply Reply with quote

Kelli posted this in the Grentz Resigns thread, but I think it's too good to get lost and forgetten in that big thread.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/beatwriters.asp?column=babcockmcgraw

Quote:
“It was not a good time for me, it was the worst four years of my life,” former Maine West star Dawn Vana said of her career at Illinois.

She played for Grentz from 1999-2002 and is now an assistant girls basketball coach at Maine West.

“I should have never gone to that school, and all I have to say about (Grentz leaving Illinois) is that it’s about time,” Vana said. “If I don’t ever talk to her the rest of my life, then thank God.”

PostPosted: 04/21/07 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't know that about Grentz... She sounds like the wicked witch from the West...or the Grentz who stole Christmas...lol

Maybe now the Illinois program can once again raise itself to prominence...

ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 04/21/07 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, "Bitter, table for one!"

MNfan22

PostPosted: 04/21/07 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
Wow, "Bitter, table for one!"

wow is right but it seems more like there'd be plenty of company at that table with a waiting list to join now in celebration.

PostPosted: 04/21/07 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, sounds like the team is due for a good experience....I'll send some coaching karma your way and hope Wagner takes the job!! Smile

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 04/21/07 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, another fond farewell for a veteran coach. I dont know what to think. But If your gonna make statement like this, you have to be more specific. What Grentz never did anything helpfull twards her? If she was THIS MEAN why is this first time were hearing about it?

PostPosted: 04/21/07 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
Wow, another fond farewell for a veteran coach. I dont know what to think. But If your gonna make statement like this, you have to be more specific. What Grentz never did anything helpfull twards her? If she was THIS MEAN why is this first time were hearing about it?

Until two or three years ago, exactly half of the players she had recruited had left her program with eligibility left. That should tell anyone all they need to know about her and the way she treated her players. In the last few years, she just hasn't been able to get anyone from Illinois to go there and she got very few midwest kids. She had to go out East where they weren't as familiar with what was going on.

00NDROCKS

PostPosted: 04/24/07 7:14 am    ::: Re: Turbulent Grentz era at Illinois ends not a moment too s Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Kelli posted this in the Grentz Resigns thread, but I think it's too good to get lost and forgetten in that big thread.

Quote:
“It was not a good time for me, it was the worst four years of my life,” former Maine West star Dawn Vana said of her career at Illinois.

She played for Grentz from 1999-2002 and is now an assistant girls basketball coach at Maine West.

“I should have never gone to that school, and all I have to say about (Grentz leaving Illinois) is that it’s about time,” Vana said. “If I don’t ever talk to her the rest of my life, then thank God.”

I love how she waits until Grentz is gone before she tells how she really felt, so why now? Rolling Eyes

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
Michael

PostPosted: 04/24/07 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:

Because you don't follow the Big Ten. Rumors of Grentz's attitude and abrassiveness have been circulating around the conference for years. That is a large part of why she cannot recruit in Illinois anymore and had to go farther afield to outrun her reputation.

PostPosted: 04/24/07 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What makes this article so compelling is Patricia Babcock actually walked the walked. In fact, she is the 1990 Indiana Miss basketball.

It is refreshing to read articles written by those who actually been there.

PostPosted: 04/24/07 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
Well, sounds like the team is due for a good experience....I'll send some coaching karma your way and hope Wagner takes the job!! Smile

Don't send Wagner their way! She's still got some work to do.

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/24/07 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:

I'm surprised. Aren't you a Cardinal fan? I would expect anyone from the Pac 10(outside of Oregon State) to want LaVonda gone. She's only making that conference more competitive, which in turn could hurt Stanford in the end.

PostPosted: 04/24/07 7:36 pm    ::: Re: Turbulent Grentz era at Illinois ends not a moment too s Reply Reply with quote

00NDROCKS wrote:

Quote:

I love how she waits until Grentz is gone before she tells how she really felt, so why now? Rolling Eyes

well, you can make a judgement like that, but you don't know the back story (neither do I).

Maybe nobody asked. Maybe somone did and rebkell wasn't around to point out her quotes. Maybe you haven't read everything she's ever said about Ill. Maybe she thought -- since asked, let me say my peace, since no one listened-paid attention-cared-took the word of a recruit over a coach - back then.

PostPosted: 04/30/07 4:10 pm    ::: Trish Babcock Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
What makes this article so compelling is Patricia Babcock actually walked the walked. In fact, she is the 1990 Indiana Miss basketball.

It is refreshing to read articles written by those who actually been there.

And she was a dang good college player as well!

Ah, the good ol' days when Northwestern was competitive.

She needs to write a column about NU too. Smile

PostPosted: 05/01/07 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:

I'm surprised. Aren't you a Cardinal fan? I would expect anyone from the Pac 10(outside of Oregon State) to want LaVonda gone. She's only making that conference more competitive, which in turn could hurt Stanford in the end.

I would say I'm more of an overall Pac-10 fan rather than focusing on one team. Obviously, within the conference, I would favor some teams over others, but that shifts.

I think people like LaVonda Wagner (and Tia Jackson and Joanne Boyle) will make the conference stronger and more competitive and that's really why I want them to stay. And quite frankly, I think Stanford needs to be pushed to really represent the conference well.

It's been a one-trick pony conference for too long and in order for there to be a return to the Final Four of one of the Pac-10 teams, then, they have to all push themselves during conference play. This was not more evident when FSU upset Stanford. I think FSU was really battle tested facing the likes of Maryland, Duke and UNC. If you face those teams, then you are not afraid of the likes of Stanford and feel like you can face anyone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: