RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Imus Firing was Appropriate. What Comes Next?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 04/17/07 8:32 am    ::: Imus Firing was Appropriate. What Comes Next? Reply Reply with quote

From leaders across the United States including Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice; Congresswoman Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick; the co-founder of BET and current owner of the WNBA’s Washington Mystics, Sheila Johnson; ; League of Black Women President and CEO, Sandra Finley: and Black Enterprise founder Earl G. Graves Sr, there was consensus on the firing of Mr. Imus.

Quote:
“Until we are properly represented in every industry, especially national media, incidents like this one will continue to occur. And how are African Americans to react overall to this incident? We should consider it another, rude wake-up call."
-Earl Graves

“This year marks the 35th Anniversary of the passage of Title IX. While women and people of color have made progress in sports and the global marketplace, sexism and racism still plague our advancement. We must discuss prejudice and discrimination openly; we cannot work toward a solution if we will not admit and talk about the problem.”
-Congresswoman Kilpatrick

NIKE athletic apparel company took out a full page ad in the New York Times to support the Rutgers women’s basketball team. It featured a white background with black text written above and below a black Nike swoosh. It read: “Thank you, ignorance. Thank you for starting the conversation.”

http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur32826.cfm

Geno32

PostPosted: 04/17/07 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

May be now Nike will make affordable sneakers available.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How brave of these folks to "me too" after CBS did the difficult cost/benefit analysis of firing Imus and spinning the decision as a product of social responsibility and moral outrage.

And, if we needed further proof of Nike being the most socially irresponsible corporation on the planet: "Thank you, ignorance, for starting the conversation." (Emphasis added.)

Where have they been, to think that this is a start to decrying racist and sexist speech? And why would anyone think that we need a conversation about such things?! Some things are self-evidently wrong, and if not everybody understands that, we need something more than "conversation."

As a sop to LTF1, I note that my cynical "cost/benefit" analysis stems from a more appropriate response to Imus's comment. There is, in academic parlance, a "marketplace of ideas." The theory goes that anyone can float an idea, and the "value" of the idea is established by the extent to which it is accepted. In Imus's case, his sponsors pulled the plug on him; to them, the value of his "idea" was zero.

And now comes Nike, suggesting that we "start"-- as though race and gender have hitherto not been part of the social dialogue-- to have a "conversation" about whether it is acceptable to call-- and let's be as specific as Don Imus was-- the Rutgers women's basketball team "a bunch of nappy-headed hos."

Don't miss the subtlety of what Nike is saying, folks, nor dismiss it as someone rankling his "whacko philosophy." Nike is clearly suggesting-- whether intentionally, or because its people truly don't think the problem is worth careful scrutiny-- that there is some value to what Imus said. Granted, we might be able to salvage "value" in the sense the Imus's remarks have raised some issues, or have "turned a spotlight" on women's athletics, but what is the value in what Imus said? In the values and assumptions that underlie what he said? Because even if your answer is "none," Nike clearly believes that there is some value there. And in the marketplace of ideas, Nike speaks quite loudly.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
How brave of these folks to "me too" after CBS did the difficult cost/benefit analysis of firing Imus and spinning the decision as a product of social responsibility and moral outrage.

These people and others who spoke out exerted enormous behind-the-scenes pressure on MSNBC, CBS, and big advertisers to help convince those corporations to fire Imus.

Any voice raised in politics or the power heirarchy of corporations that goes against the status quo is a brave voice indeed. It is far too easy to take a politically correct line that buffers one from backlash by splitting it down the middle.

The politically correct line under George Bush's administration has been to pretend that everyone is on equal footing while attempting to roll back gains in Title IX, etc.

This is bullshit and groups like the League, the black NFL coaches, Black Enterprise, etc. know it. Yes, there needs to be dialogue.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/17/07 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The timing of the Nike ad does make it a little suspicious. (Okay, very suspicious.) So far as I know, Nike is not an advertiser on WFAN or MSNBC, and it certainly wasn't listed among the advertisers on the Imus show, so I don't think Nike put much pressure on NBC, WFAN or CBS Radio.

I won't say Nike hasn't taken some stands before, and I think it did stand behind John Thompson when he was speaking out about some issues when he was coaching at Georgetown, but it's not nearly as socially responsible it would like us to think. Making us think they're socially responsible is part of their schtick, and I guess it's worked pretty well for them, but it's not a real core goal of the company

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imus' firing was inappropriate.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The firing of Don Imus was absolutely appropriate. There should be no question about that in anyone's mind.

But an owner of BET and Condoleeza Rice? That makes my teeth itch.

The rap videos that I've seen on BET are usually among the most offensive I've ever seen. It's been a while since I watched and regular viewers can correct me if I'm wrong but BET seems to specialize in the vids of not quite the biggest of rap stars. Guys who are REALLY trying. Less polish, far more crude. That's what I've seen, anyway. So she is a profiteer not simply from the exploitaion of black women, but from the ongoing and omnipresent 20 year plus cultural degradation of black women.

Not making a double standard argument offered as an excuse for Don Imus. But anyone who gives credence to the thought that Imus's comments can be compared to the destructive power that rap's portrayal and imagery of black woman has had IN the black community, along with the gansta culture portrayed which is consumed by young people around the world, would be just nuts. Sheila Johnson should be ashamed to open her hypocritical mouth on the subject of Don Imus and any of the issues brought up by this.

Condoleeza Rice, along with everyone in the Bush administration, was the object of Don Imus's scorn for years even BEFORE he started regularly referring to them all as WAR CRIMINALS. He hammered away at her administration over the airwaves for hours and hours on end, every day. He turned on their war policy many years ago and every high powered guest and everyone else in the political world heard about it from him constantly.

Rice is HARDLY an impartial judge of Don Imus. Everyone in that adminstration would have been dreaming of any scenario that would silence this guy who was easily one of the most powerful and influencial voices standing against their policies in Iraq.

Imus had to go. I don't have any doubt about that at this point. I'd talk about all that here but I'm too burned out on the subject and too busy. But these two women you've cited have no credibility on the issue whatsover. One is a hypocrit who profits from a much worse example of Imus's degrading perspective on black women and the other would have viewed Don Imus as a political arch-enemy.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
The firing of Don Imus was absolutely appropriate. There should be no question about that in anyone's mind.

..Imus had to go. I don't have any doubt about that at this point. I'd talk about all that here but I'm too burned out on the subject and too busy. But these two women you've cited have no credibility on the issue whatsover. One is a hypocrit who profits from a much worse example of Imus's degrading perspective on black women and the other would have viewed Don Imus as a political arch-enemy.

I disagree, Jammer. I think Condoleeza is speaking to this as a black woman and NOT as the Secretary of State.

With women like Rice and Johnson, it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. Well, I'm glad they spoke up and put the heat on CBS to fire Imus.

Some of the people listed in the article are very conservative and some of them very rich. When an issue cuts across political and class boundaries like this one, that's a hot button issue.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/17/07 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

..Imus had to go. I don't have any doubt about that at this point. I'd talk about all that here but I'm too burned out on the subject and too busy. But these two women you've cited have no credibility on the issue whatsover. One is a hypocrit who profits from a much worse example of Imus's degrading perspective on black women and the other would have viewed Don Imus as a political arch-enemy.

I disagree, Jammer. I think Condoleeza is speaking to this as a black woman and NOT as the Secretary of State.

With women like Rice and Johnson, it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. Well, I'm glad they spoke up and put the heat on CBS to fire Imus.

Some of the people listed in the article are very conservative and some of them very rich. When an issue cuts across political and class boundaries like this one, that's a hot button issue.

It's not her or SJ that I'm objecting to, blue. It's whomever it is who is citing the opinions of those two on Imus. it's a real lowering of the bar.

In the case of SJ, it's a lowering of the bar in terms of citing and thus validating the voice of hypocrisy. Sheila Johnson is a SERIAL DEGRADER of black women? We can call Don Imus a serial offender, why can't we call this woman exactly what she is? She OWNS a network that has for years broadcast the most misognyistic content AS popular entertainment for a largely black audience. There really is no correllative material that exists on our cultural and social landscape when it comes to degrading black women. BET broadcasts that content into homes influencing millions of young black males and females. Like it or not, that's who Sheila Johnson is.

Condie Rice can speak as a black woman but she's also a key member of the most disasterously misguided and malevolent presidential adminstration in US history and a frequent political target of Don Imus who referred to her and the members of her administration as war criminals. With her I'm questioning if she should be cited as a VALID social critic. Black woman or not, she's a fucking MONSTER. I hope some day she stands with the rest of these criminals in front of some sort of US or world court, ON TRIAL FOR THEIR LIVES. How can anyone cite what she says about Don Imus?

PostPosted: 04/17/07 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or as Don Imus said..this administration stranded the people in New Orleans because they were black.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jammer, Sheila Johnson hasn't been an owner of BET for a long time.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jammer, I understand you taking exception to Rice and Johnson. I am assuming that you do not have similar misgivings about Cheeks-Kilpatrick and Graves.

But Rice and Johnson are what they are and they are power brokers. So with Rice, Johnson and company on the one hand (and Al Sharpton and Rev. Jackson on the other) you have establishment and anti-establishment types stepping forward to deliver one message: Enough.

People across the country were so pissed off they went to their company heads or sat down at their PCs or picked up their phones and called, wrote, and complained to people doing business with people who employ Imus.

When was the last time so many not only agreed on something but exerted their collective influence on a corporation? Shocked Don't underestimate the tendency of corporate types to inertia (that's a natural law or something).

Like so many of us (men and women, white and black) I put down my protest signs at the end of the 70s and took a job with a corporation with the intent to change the way things work from within. There are times( like the last 7 years, for example) when I think I made a mistake. But there are times that I am amazed. Change is coming and the vanguard thinks like us.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/17/07 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Okay. That would mitigate things and give her some credibility. How long is a long time?

PostPosted: 04/17/07 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:

Okay. That would mitigate things and give her some credibility. How long is a long time?

BET was sold to Viacom in 1997.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
Jammer, I understand you taking exception to Rice and Johnson. I am assuming that you do not have similar misgivings about Cheeks-Kilpatrick and Graves.

But Rice and Johnson are what they are and they are power brokers. So with Rice, Johnson and company on the one hand (and Al Sharpton and Rev. Jackson on the other) you have establishment and anti-establishment types stepping forward to deliver one message: Enough.

People across the country were so pissed off they went to their company heads or sat down at their PCs or picked up their phones and called, wrote, and complained to people doing business with people who employ Imus.

When was the last time so many not only agreed on something but exerted their collective influence on a corporation? Shocked Don't underestimate the tendency of corporate types to inertia (that's a natural law or something).

Like so many of us (men and women, white and black) I put down my protest signs at the end of the 70s and took a job with a corporation with the intent to change the way things work from within. There are times( like the last 7 years, for example) when I think I made a mistake. But there are times that I am amazed. Change is coming and the vanguard thinks like us.

Yes, but Imus is gone, blue. He's history. And I'm uncomfortable with a shift I'm detecting since his firing. Now that the target has changed from Imus to the most destructive and obvious offender, it's suddenly grown fuzzy and out of focus. Suddenly the talk among some African Americans discussing this now is that this isn't the time for "pointing fingers."

Oh really? Shocked 'Cause see, I thought this was the time for pointing fingers.

Fingers were pointed at Don Imus. And it WAS the time for that to happen. And it was that sharp finger pointed directly at Imus that brought him down and now a running example of that level of racism and misogyny that was deemed ACCCEPTABLE by the journalistic and political elite of this country is gone and that is a very good thing. A lot of incredibly positive things were lost with Imus. But the bad was unacceptable and he had to go.

But the destruction that Imus wrought on African Americans, black women and women of all races was PEANUTS compared to the damage done by RAP music and the music and fashion industries. Imus was NOTHING in comparison. A drop in the ocean.

I'm sorry. I just watched today's part two of the Oprah town hall meeting on this. I AM REPULSED by what I heard from the four men on that panel.

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 04/17/07 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/17/07 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:

BET was sold to Viacom in 1997.

I apologize to Sheila Johnson. Embarassed

PostPosted: 04/17/07 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
I AM REPULSED by what I heard from the four men on that panel.

I call them men but the 39 year old music industry executive who Oprah called a "legend"... had the emotional maturity of a 14 year old.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

there is no question in my mind. the firing was inappropriate.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
I'm sorry. I just watched today's part two of the Oprah town hall meeting on this. I AM REPULSED by what I heard from the four men on that panel.

I didn't see it. What repulsed you, Jammer?

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/17/07 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd have a little more respect for Rice's position if she'd actually taken it before Imus was fired.

Note the date when she said this

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 04/17/07 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I'd have a little more respect for Rice's position if she'd actually taken it before Imus was fired.

I have a little more, actually. She's the Secretary of State. She made no public comment until the decision was made. The people in the article worked behind the scenes. They weren't in this for publicity.

eclair

PostPosted: 04/18/07 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Well. I think we get that.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/18/07 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eclair wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Well. I think we get that.

do you get that jammerbirdi insists it was appropriate, or did you miss his multiple posting of that opinion?

PostPosted: 04/18/07 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
beknighted wrote:

I have a little more, actually. She's the Secretary of State. She made no public comment until the decision was made. The people in the article worked behind the scenes. They weren't in this for publicity.

I have no objection to her working behind the scenes. However, if it's inappropriate for the Secretary of State to comment before something is done, it's not particularly appropriate for her to comment afterwards, either, and kind of besides the point, to boot. In that regard, it's sort of like Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, who between them had a total of one appearance on the program, saying they'd never appear on his show again.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 04/18/07 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
bluewolfvii wrote:
beknighted wrote:

I have no objection to her working behind the scenes. However, if it's inappropriate for the Secretary of State to comment before something is done, it's not particularly appropriate for her to comment afterwards, either, and kind of besides the point, to boot. In that regard, it's sort of like Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, who between them had a total of one appearance on the program, saying they'd never appear on his show again.

That is a good point.

In related news, I see that John Kerry is saying that he thinks that Imus' firing went too far and that he would have agreed to guest appearances on Imus' show again.

Personally, I'm holding out until I hear opinions from the Green Party and Libertarian candidates. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: