RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UK's DeMoss expected to resign
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgtutvols

PostPosted: 04/11/07 6:11 am    ::: UK's DeMoss expected to resign Reply Reply with quote

UK's DeMoss expected to resign

By Jennifer Smith
HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

The Herald-Leader learned late last night that Kentucky women's head basketball coach Mickie DeMoss is expected to resign at a news conference this morning.

DeMoss yesterday called a mandatory players meeting for 8 this morning. An athletics department news release said a news conference was scheduled for 9:30 for what was called a "major women's basketball announcement."

Sources did not reveal the reason behind the decision, but they said that the move was initiated by DeMoss.

Calls to DeMoss and Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart were not returned last night.

UK spokeswoman Susan Lax said she could not answer any questions until the news conference at Memorial Coliseum.

Kentucky finished this season 20-14 overall and 6-8 in the Southeastern Conference. Wisconsin ended the Cats' season in the third round of the Women's National Invitation Tournament.

UK suffered several close losses this season, including going 1-5 in six tight games during the regular season, including three that went to the buzzer and three that ended in extra periods.

Last summer DeMoss, 51, signed a new five-year deal worth $350,000 after leading UK to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

"The future looks great, and I'm excited because it means I'm going to be here a few more years," DeMoss said after the extension.

DeMoss led UK to a 22-9 record that season and its first NCAA Tournament appearance in seven years. The team also had a school-record nine Southeastern Conference wins and its highest conference finish (fourth) in 23 years.

She also was named SEC Coach of the Year by her fellow coaches and the Associated Press.

"This year was kind of a statement year for UK women's basketball," DeMoss said. "For the administration to step up and want to revise my contract solidifies the future for me."

Four starters and the Cats' top three scorers will return next season.

"I really believe our program is certainly moving in the right direction," DeMoss said after the Wisconsin loss on March 22. "We have a good recruiting class coming in next year that our fans will enjoy watching."

UK signed four players in the early signing period, and its recruiting class was rated in the top 25 in the nation by one recruiting service.

Crying or Very sad Sad day for KY...

PostPosted: 04/11/07 7:22 am    ::: Re: UK's DeMoss expected to resign Reply Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope it's not health-related.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/11/07 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what the hell is going on?

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/11/07 7:25 am    ::: Re: UK's DeMoss expected to resign Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I'm sorry to hear this. I hope it's not health-related.

or pokey-related.

~UK~

PostPosted: 04/11/07 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kentucky women's head basketball coach Mickie DeMoss resigned Wednesday, saying she needed to reassess what she wanted to do.

"This was a very difficult decision for me," DeMoss said in a statement released by the university. "After 30 years of coaching, I just want to step back and reassess what I want to do for the rest of my life. The university and Kentucky has been a wonderful place for me to be a head coach. I want to thank Dr. Todd and Mitch Barnhart for giving me the opportunity to coach at the best basketball school in the country. They have been great to work for."

http://www.kentucky.com/254/story/39306.html

spacey

PostPosted: 04/11/07 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Kentucky women's head basketball coach Mickie DeMoss resigned Wednesday, saying she needed to reassess what she wanted to do.

"This was a very difficult decision for me," DeMoss said in a statement released by the university. "After 30 years of coaching, I just want to step back and reassess what I want to do for the rest of my life. The university and Kentucky has been a wonderful place for me to be a head coach. I want to thank Dr. Todd and Mitch Barnhart for giving me the opportunity to coach at the best basketball school in the country. They have been great to work for."

http://www.kentucky.com/254/story/39306.html

I hate to say this but that really seems bogus. The timing is really strange...

caune

PostPosted: 04/11/07 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, I know the Dad of one of UK's recruits for next year, she signed because of DeMoss, I'll try to find out what the recruits were told....or if they were told anything.

PostPosted: 04/11/07 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The fact that she had now been coaching for 30 years seem to really trigger a whole life-evaluation thing which has resulted in her resigning. Hate to see her go and of course wish the absolute best for DeMoss.

trax10usa

PostPosted: 04/11/07 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The SEC will have a new look next year.

New coaches:

Florida
LSU
Kentucky
Arkansas

Did I miss anyone else?

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 04/11/07 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This can also be the front edge of the "end o' the modern generation of coaches retiring.... 30 years is a long time to be fighting and workin' 24/7... Sue (death), Sharp, Jody, Kay?, DeMoss.... Blair muttered about "the next few years"....

PostPosted: 04/11/07 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a new day.....unless your program is winning you championships or you can pull in the best of the best, your job will be much harder. The older you get, it's hard to keep fighting. Some can, most can't. Whenever Pat's team can't make the final 4, she'll be thinking about leaving. JMHO

It's time for a new breed of coaches to come in and shake some things up. The SEC will have a new look for sure. I'm excited and anxious for next year already.

PostPosted: 04/11/07 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

comet_fan_97 wrote:
It's a new day.....unless your program is winning you championships or you can pull in the best of the best, your job will be much harder. The older you get, it's hard to keep fighting. Some can, most can't. Whenever Pat's team can't make the final 4, she'll be thinking about leaving. JMHO

It's time for a new breed of coaches to come in and shake some things up. The SEC will have a new look for sure. I'm excited and anxious for next year already.

comet_fan_97, could you send Carol Ross our way? Wink

alaskacard

PostPosted: 04/11/07 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, I am really surprized by that.

Does anyone know if she looking at other jobs right now, or really planning not to coach next year?

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/11/07 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 04/11/07 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First there is the bright spot of Van returning toi the SEC and then this..... We'll miss you Mickie!

24duzitall

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

damn!damn!damn!
maybe holly warlick will move up to ky. now.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach Shanahan, er, I mean Demos' timing is kind of weird here. What 2 years, and done? wtf

PostPosted: 04/13/07 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Four years, actually.

comet_fan_97

PostPosted: 04/13/07 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
comet_fan_97 wrote:

Uh....no! Laughing I'm on pins and needles just like everyone else. I know how committed she is to the school and she also came out of retirement to take her "dream job." I hope like hell the $$$ doesn't pull her away. She definitely is a great coach and can do some great things given the right players. I just hope we can get some in soon....How about you send us Sarah Elliott...LOL

PostPosted: 04/13/07 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

comet_fan_97 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
comet_fan_97 wrote:

Uh....no! Laughing I'm on pins and needles just like everyone else. I know how committed she is to the school and she also came out of retirement to take her "dream job." I hope like hell the $$$ doesn't pull her away. She definitely is a great coach and can do some great things given the right players. I just hope we can get some in soon....How about you send us Sarah Elliott...LOL

I don't think you have to worry about Carol leaving. Wink I've heard several names mentioned but not hers.

Grumps

PostPosted: 04/13/07 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think you have to worry about Carol leaving. I've heard several names mentioned but not hers.

Any names you feel comfortable with sharing with us?

Grumps

~UK~

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
Quote:
I don't think you have to worry about Carol leaving. I've heard several names mentioned but not hers.

Grumps

Matthew Mitchell is one of the more interesting names. He was a grad assistant at Tennessee, assistant at Florida and UK. Brought in some very good recruiting classes. He's been head coach at Morehead State University the last couple of years. Mickie brought him here with Pam Stackhouse and Niya Butts. If he came in we may be able to keep them on staff. Good for continuity in the program.

Grumps, the other names I've heard are also current coaches but I'd rather not name them.

Last edited by ~UK~ on 04/13/07 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
comet_fan_97

PostPosted: 04/13/07 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Continuity is definitely good...especially when the ship ain't broke!

PostPosted: 04/13/07 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Quote:

Grumps

Matthew Mitchell is one of the more interesting names. He was a grad assistant at Tennessee, assistant at Florida and UK. Brought in some very good recruiting classes. He's been head coach at Morehead State University the last couple of years. Mickie brought him here with Pam Stackhouse and Niya Butts. If he came in we may be able to keep them on staff. Good for continuity in the program.

Grumps, the other names I've heard are also current coaches but I'd rather not name them.

Yes, let's criticize the idea of the Western Kentucky coach, but bring in a coach who has gone 28-29 in a grand total of two years as a head coach, finished 1-9 outside of OVC play this year and hasn't ever finished in the TOP 200 of the RPI. He was not even the top assistant while he was at UK.

adamspt2

PostPosted: 04/13/07 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I do think Matthew was in charge of recruiting while he was here and was largely responsible for getting Carly Ormerod on board.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: