RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

CVS & Basketball Team Accepts Imus' Apology
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DivAAA

PostPosted: 04/13/07 10:47 am    ::: CVS & Basketball Team Accepts Imus' Apology Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. - The Rutgers women’s basketball team accepted radio host Don Imus’ apology Friday for insulting them on the air, saying that he deserves a chance to move on but that they hope the furor his word caused will be a catalyst for change.

“We, the Rutgers University Scarlet Knight basketball team, accept — accept — Mr. Imus’ apology, and we are in the process of forgiving,” coach C. Vivian Stringer read from a team statement a day after the team met personally with Imus and his wife.

Quote:
“These comments are indicative of greater ills in our culture. It is not just Mr. imus, and we hope that this will be and serve as a catalyst for change. Let us continue to work hard together to make this world a better place.”

While team members respected Imus’ willingness to apologize, they wanted him to understand how they were hurt, said Rev. DeForest Soaries, Stringer’s pastor, who joined the meeting. Imus tried to explain what he meant, “but there was really no explanation that they could understand,” Soaries said on NBC’s “TODAY” show.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18089620/

sweets

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I must give my girls from Rutgers some props.....

I'm Reggie Bush #1 Girl(Go Saints)
My Fab Five In Women's BasketBall
L.Harding/C.Parker/S.Fowles/S.Augustus/A.Price
Louisiana Hot Gyrl Here
dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sweets wrote:

for what this time?

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Rolling Eyes

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:

Explain please....

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BFD.

what's next- a TV tour to explain the decision? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:

No shit, some people are under the impression they are having fun with this mess.

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
sweets wrote:

for what this time?

For having the heart to forgive......B/C if it was me I would've sent him to hell with his apology Arrow

I'm Reggie Bush #1 Girl(Go Saints)
My Fab Five In Women's BasketBall
L.Harding/C.Parker/S.Fowles/S.Augustus/A.Price
Louisiana Hot Gyrl Here
dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:

No shit, some people are under the impression they are having fun with this mess.

please tell me you're not referring to me. Because you know you couldn't be more wrong if that's the case.....

BTW, what happened to the PRIVATE meeting at an undisclosed location? And when did I miss the added part of "to be followed by a press conference the next day to discuss it"?

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
BTW, what happened to the PRIVATE meeting at an undisclosed location? And when did I miss the added part of "to be followed by a press conference the next day to discuss it"?

Like anything is private or undisclosed when the New York media gets all over it?

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Like anything is private or undisclosed when the New York media gets all over it?

good point! Still, you gotta admit the CNN guy camped outside the mansion had kinda a Mid-East peace negotiation feel to it, didn't it?

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

.....w/ about 30 press folks at the mansion, and text messages getting to CNN from within the house during the meeting.

hopefully this story will be buried by monday.

the real victims in all of this seem to be the governor and the cop driving him.

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

- They agree to meet with the man, obviously having more tact than 90% of everyone else getting their panties in a wad over this issue

- They repeatedly say Imus is not the only issue

- They accept his apology and say let's put this behind us

- They said they weren't looking for him to be fired

- They distanced themselves from the circus that is Sharpton

- They impressed the hell out of both Imus and his wife

And people still have a problem. Rolling Eyes

Yet somehow if Rutgers handled this by coming at Imus with ignorance and intolerance, calling for his head, people would still have a problem. Understand something here. Imus is DAMN LUCKY they handled this the way they did. And he knows it. I hope no one here thinks that if they did what he did in their own place of business that Denise from Accounting is going to have a civil sitdown conversation with you after you call her a nappyheaded ho.

If they said nothing about it and no one in the university took issue with the comments, other people would have a problem. "How dare C. Viv, the school president and the AD not defend these players who have been entrusted to them. What recruit would want to go to a school that doesn't care about them as people?"

People bitch and complain about the hypocrisy and how supposedly no one says ANYTHING about rap music and this pseudo gangsta culture (obviously not keeping up with their black history beyond February) yet C.Viv and Essence and damn near everyone else with sense brought that up as well saying this was bigger than Imus, yet people still bitch.

People bitch and complain about how women's basketball gets no coverage ever and here it's been the biggest damn story for a week, while using these players to dispel some of the very same stereotypes yall are always bitching and complaining about on this board, yet Rutgers is "milking the situation". If Imus said what he said and no one said a word in defense of these players, this whole board would have thrown a shit fit and a half about how "women's basketball gets no respect" and how if that had have "been a men's team, it'd have been all over the news."

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I can understand being upset at him being fired. I can understand being upset at how this whole thing has been blown up by people with an agenda. I'm not a fan of the Live Via Satellite Tour either because I feel the team is being used by the media to make Imus a scapegoat to make everyone happy so that they don't have to address their own shortcomings. Just like they're being used by Sharpton, Jackson and all these other talking heads. But how dare we tell them how to handle a situation none of them asked to be in?

Imus and the Rutgers players and coaches have handled this situation as it relates to EACH OTHER better than anyone else from fans to the media to people who never heard of either of them before last week and that's really saying something.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
BFD.

A movie of the week, with Phylicia Rashad as CVS, James Woods as Imus, and Aree Davis as Essence Carson.

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
- They agree to meet with the man, obviously having more tact than 90% of everyone else getting their panties in a wad over this issue

Yet somehow if Rutgers handled this by coming at Imus with ignorance and intolerance, calling for his head, people would still have a problem. Understand something here. Imus is DAMN LUCKY they handled this the way they did. And he knows it. I hope no one here thinks that if they did what he did in their own place of business that Denise from Accounting is going to have a civil sitdown conversation with you after you call her a nappyheaded ho.

If they said nothing about it and no one in the university took issue with the comments, other people would have a problem. "How dare C. Viv, the school president and the AD not defend these players who have been entrusted to them. What recruit would want to go to a school that doesn't care about them as people?"

People bitch and complain about the hypocrisy and how supposedly no one says ANYTHING about rap music and this pseudo gangsta culture (obviously not keeping up with their black history beyond February) yet C.Viv and Essence and damn near everyone else with sense brought that up as well saying this was bigger than Imus, yet people still bitch.

People bitch and complain about how women's basketball gets no coverage ever and here it's been the biggest damn story for a week, while using these players to dispel some of the very same stereotypes yall are always bitching and complaining about on this board, yet Rutgers is "milking the situation". If Imus said what he said and no one said a word in defense of these players, this whole board would have thrown a shit fit and a half about how "women's basketball gets no respect" and how if that had have "been a men's team, it'd have been all over the news."

I can understand being upset at him being fired. I can understand being upset at how this whole thing has been blown up by people with an agenda. I'm not a fan of the Live Via Satellite Tour either because I feel the team is being used by the media to make Imus a scapegoat to make everyone happy so that they don't have to address their own shortcomings. Just like they're being used by Sharpton, Jackson and all these other talking heads. But how dare we tell them how to handle a situation none of them asked to be in?

Imus and the Rutgers players and coaches have handled this situation as it relates to EACH OTHER better than anyone else from fans to the media to people who never heard of either of them before last week and that's really saying something.

X___________________________

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
BFD.

The boyfriend and I have decided that there's going to be a Law and Order episode, possibly fusing this with the Chatman scandal.

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
BFD.

The boyfriend and I have decided that there's going to be a Law and Order episode, possibly fusing this with the Chatman scandal.

Oh snap, I just told a friend the same damn thing. Even though SVU already did the whole shock jock calling young women hoes episode.

PostPosted: 04/13/07 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:

Maybe this is what I'm still not getting. The only posts prior to your eye rolling statement here were sweets praising, and me asking why praising again. Is that for my benefit? Where do I have a problem if that is the case? What are you saying here harlem?

BTW, they didn't say he shouldn't be fired. And how did they distance themselves from Sharpton? While they didn't embrace him, they did say that he's fighting the same fight they are.

And if you read what I've written...I've never criticized the RU team through this whole thing.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/13/07 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
BFD.

Oh snap, I just told a friend the same damn thing. Even though SVU already did the whole shock jock calling young women hoes episode.

Well, now with Corzine's crash, they could include a political factor into it if they wanted to. This could get complex. Fun!

PostPosted: 04/13/07 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
BFD.

Well, now with Corzine's crash, they could include a political factor into it if they wanted to. This could get complex. Fun!

Can they do a crossover....have Criminal Intent find the missing pickup truck and go after the guy?

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/13/07 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Can they do a crossover....have Criminal Intent find the missing pickup truck and go after the guy?

Two-parter! Fucking brilliant!

PostPosted: 04/13/07 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:

One of the best posts I've read all week.

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 04/13/07 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:

Maybe this is what I'm still not getting. The only posts prior to your eye rolling statement here were sweets praising, and me asking why praising again. Is that for my benefit? Where do I have a problem if that is the case? What are you saying here harlem?

BTW, they didn't say he shouldn't be fired. And how did they distance themselves from Sharpton? While they didn't embrace him, they did say that he's fighting the same fight they are.

And if you read what I've written...I've never criticized the RU team through this whole thing.

There are 9,000 Imus threads from here to Idaho. I'm not going to copy and paste the same thing in every thread. My statement was directed to this whole situation and the comments in numerous threads, offline discussions and reading the bullshit in the papers which is what I addressed in my response. If I had a problem with your statement, I'd have quoted you.

Stringer was outright asked if she thought he should be fired and she said she was not advocating anyone losing their jobs.

They distanced themselves from Sharpton by siding with Rev. DeForest Soaries (Stringer/half of black Jersey's pastor) who has long called out Sharpton and people like him. A far cry from images of previous "victims" being tucked under Sharpton's armpit as he "consoles" them with that dumb ass look on his face or walking hand in hand with his ass while on another of his pointless marches. So what if he is fighting the same fight? HE IS. The only difference is, he's fighting it as an opportunist.

Like I told someone else, Sharpton's gotdamn feelings are probably crushed he wasn't invited to the governor's mansion. They distanced themselves. Best believe. And for all this talk of Viv, I wouldn't be surprised if she was the one who told him thanks but no thanks. People who follow DeForest Soaries know what's up. If they didn't distance themselves, Sharpton's ass would have been in a 4x Rutgers hoodie by Tuesday marching down 5th Avenue hand in hand with Stringer on his left and Essence on his right with Corzine trailing behind. Black folks know Sharpton's M.O.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/13/07 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you for clarifying, I was confused.

I was also unaware Sharpton and Soaries were adversaries. Is that why Imus kept referring to Soaries as well during his apologies do you think? To get on Big Al's case?

Quote:
Sharpton's ass would have been in a 4x Rutgers hoodie by Tuesday marching down 5th Avenue hand in hand with Stringer on his left and Essence on his right

Damn, you've made me laugh this week at some of these images. Only now I see Corzine in a freaking wheelchair yelling "wait! wait!" too.

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 04/13/07 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Thank you for clarifying, I was confused.

I was also unaware Sharpton and Soaries were adversaries. Is that why Imus kept referring to Soaries as well during his apologies do you think? To get on Big Al's case?

Quote:
Sharpton's ass would have been in a 4x Rutgers hoodie by Tuesday marching down 5th Avenue hand in hand with Stringer on his left and Essence on his right

Damn, you've made me laugh this week at some of these images. Only now I see Corzine in a freaking wheelchair yelling "wait! wait!" too.

Soaries is a real reverend, with a real congregation and a real church. This is why I keep saying Imus was too smart for this. He knows what's up. He knows Sharpton's place in the black community just like he knew enough to know exactly what he was saying.

Corzine with his full body cast on trying to keep up. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: