RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Carla Berry Gone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LTF1

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:49 pm    ::: Carla Berry Gone Reply Reply with quote

I didn't see this posted anywhere, if it has been I apologize. The BR Advocate reported today that according to Judy Southard, Carla Berry will not be returning to the team. The report did not say who's decision this was. Chancellor is of course keeping Starkey and will be talking to Christie Sides apparently about at least the possibility of staying.

I'm sure wcbb is much happier with Imus story than with the Pokey story.

A life of leisure is no life you know"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPeJixp-zp4&feature=related
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

good riddance, i must say.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cth:"good riddance, i must say."

Well, I'm not going to say because I'm moving on to the Van era Very Happy I do hope that he keeps Christie though, I think she's a babe.

rooky

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yay! Glad she's gone.

Maybe Cingular or Verizon is hiring.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I certainly hope she was not fired for her reporting.

LTF1

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

puMatty:"I certainly hope she was not fired for her reporting."

I don't know that she was fired. Maybe Van has someone else in mind, but the report almost made it seem like the decision might have been made earlier. There may well be some resentment among some of the players, say Fowles perhaps, that would have made staying uncomfortable. Berry may have decided on her own that it was best to leave. This is not necc good for Chatman, as if Berry ever wants another job in wcbb, she will have to tell a prospective employer what really happened.

As for Chancellor and the players, Erica White seems genuinely enthusiastic about his being there and she appears to be taking on the leadership role of the team. He says he doesn't plan to change much. Everyone seems happy Starkey is staying. The Advocate noted that Starkey did the Xs and Os for Chatman, implying what would he be doing for Chancellor. Starkey said whatever Van wanted him to do.

I just want him to keep Christie around for EC, but since she bailed on him at Ole Miss (and I don't know the story) I hope that doesn't hurt her chances. I think the players like her though.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
I just want him to keep Christie around for EC, but since she bailed on him at Ole Miss (and I don't know the story) I hope that doesn't hurt her chances. I think the players like her though.

I thought she left because he left. Didn't they both go after the 1996-97 season?

PostPosted: 04/12/07 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight:"I thought she left because he left. Didn't they both go after the 1996-97 season?"

You might well be right. That was the first season my lovely Belgian wife and I followed the Lady Tigers and I didn't know very much about the SEC's other teams (except of course the Evil Orange who could not be ignored Smile )

joetro

PostPosted: 04/13/07 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, it sure is good to fire the person who actually had the guts to report when improper behavior was taking place rather than sweep it under the rug. Sarcasm off now.

Seriously, it sickens me that people are more upset with Carla Berry than Pokey Chapman.

LTF1

PostPosted: 04/13/07 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[/quote]joetro Posted: 04/13/07 1:10 am :::

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yes, it sure is good to fire the person who actually had the guts to report when improper behavior was taking place rather than sweep it under the rug. Sarcasm off now. Seriously, it sickens me that people are more upset with Carla Berry than Pokey Chapman."

Well, I believe that most folks in Baton Rouge, like myself, think that Carla is in the right and Chatman in the wrong. I wish Berry could have stayed.

However, I think it is likely that the team was split at the very least. While I think Erica White and maybe a few other team members didn't reject Carla and may have even supported her, Sylvia Fowles' repeated support for Chatman during the tourney had to make things very uncomfortable to say the least.

Chancellor needed to come in clean and my GUESS is that Berry was provided a bonus of some sort as her contract expired. It is telling that Starkey is staying on and Chancellor is considering keeping Christie Sides, but that Berry is already out.

Again, my guess is that it is a players' thing (and not all of them, but "a house divided...") and not a LSU administration thing. But I am only making an educated guess on very little evidence.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/13/07 4:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, it sure is good to fire the person who actually had the guts to report when improper behavior was taking place rather than sweep it under the rug. Sarcasm off now.

did berry report it WHEN it took place? from the little we know, this seems not to be the case.

"former player" or "player currently not on the team" is what i've read. this seems to indicate the misconduct occurred last year, at the latest.

using timing that only MSNBC and CBS can appreciate, berry dropped the bomb in late feb, if i recall correctly.

PostPosted: 04/13/07 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

did berry report it WHEN it took place? from the little we know, this seems not to be the case.

"former player" or "player currently not on the team" is what i've read. this seems to indicate the misconduct occurred last year, at the latest.

using timing that only MSNBC and CBS can appreciate, berry dropped the bomb in late feb, if i recall correctly.

From what I read, I thought that Carla reported it when she found out.

Regardless, I wish her the best. What she did took a lot of courage and unfortunately, she's been demonized even though she did the right thing.

Good luck to her.

sweets

PostPosted: 04/13/07 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes..............Goodbye Snitch Very Happy

I'm Reggie Bush #1 Girl(Go Saints)
My Fab Five In Women's BasketBall
L.Harding/C.Parker/S.Fowles/S.Augustus/A.Price
Louisiana Hot Gyrl Here
sweets

PostPosted: 04/13/07 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rooky wrote:
Yay! Glad she's gone.

Maybe Cingular or Verizon is hiring.

Laughing

I'm Reggie Bush #1 Girl(Go Saints)
My Fab Five In Women's BasketBall
L.Harding/C.Parker/S.Fowles/S.Augustus/A.Price
Louisiana Hot Gyrl Here
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 04/13/07 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Berry made the right decision -- but I'm also totally unimpressed with anyone who tries to badmouth her for her actions -- whatever their "motivation."

Clearly, she took action.

Clearly, we don't know when she found out vs. when she reported it. We do know (via the March ESPN article) that she struggeled with her decision.

The key is she DID report it. Those who label her "snitch" and celebrate her leaving because of the action she took simply feed into the culture of silence and damage vs. courage and ethics.

PostPosted: 04/13/07 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ROOKY, love the Barry Gibb Very Happy

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
rooky

PostPosted: 04/13/07 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks! I've had this crush on him since ... forever. Very Happy

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/13/07 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those who label her "snitch" and celebrate her leaving because of the action she took simply feed into the culture of silence and damage vs. courage and ethics.

not really. what berry learned was old news when she learned it. if she had any concern for the players, or any courage, she'd have waited for a better time to drop the bomb.

this isn't a typical whistle-blower situation, imo. i generally support them.

PostPosted: 04/13/07 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It could have been that Chatman infiltrated or tried to infiltrate the current team and the assistant coach or coaches had enough, reported it and made mention that it had happened before with a previous player no longer on the team. The University and Coaches may have thought it better to leave it at a past player than get the current player and team involved in the mess. Probably the right thing to do, if it happened that way.

JoanneC

PostPosted: 04/13/07 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think until we know all the details, not too much can be said. Having said that, I still wonder if it was a former player why did Carla wait so long? Why wait untill 3 weeks before the final Four?? Why not be the friend she was supposedly to Pokey and confront her and tell her she was going to report it?
The fishy thing is Carla's timing. If she had reported it after the alleged incident happend I might feel differently towards her actions.
I just have a feeling theres alot more to it.

LTF1

PostPosted: 04/13/07 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing is we do not know what was the timing. In an e-mail to Starkey she suggested her decision cost her a lot of sleep. I think that Berry was given information shortly before she went to the administration. One thing that troubles me still about this is that she apparently chose to go over the heads of Asst AD for Women's Athletics Judy Southard, and AD Skip Bertman to the univ adm. Why? Did she first go to Southard and Bertman and get stone-walled? Had she gone to them before and been put off? Did she not trust them to "Do the right thing?" Or did they tell her to "take this to the adm" because they didn't want the responsibility of handling it?

One thing to remember, LSU has at the very least led us to believe that more than one player was involved, remember the "multiple means multiple" suggesting that it wasn't multiple allegations about one "former" player but more than one.

The "former" player thing has also been problematic and I have not seen many reporters try to clarify the ambiguous meaning of the term in their stories. It seems obvious to me the players were on the team at the time of the alleged inappropriate conduct, but the word "former" has been used by many to imply that Chatman quit because she had an inappropriate behavior with a former player who was not on the team at the time.

What possible "inappropriate" behavior could that be with a consenting adult who wasn't playing for her at the time? Despite what people want to believe about Louisiana, LSU would not have used language like that for merely a lesbian relationship (if that is what was involved) or frankly even cared

I think Chatman did some messing where she shouldn't have been messing sometime ago, and a parent, friend or relative found out about it later and contacted Berry. I wouldn't bet my life on it but it strikes me as a very rational explanation. Who knows, the alleged "inappropriate behavior" could be something we haven't even hit upon on this board or any where else

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 04/13/07 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only thing we (almost) know for certain is that the admin. was informed in Feb.

We don't know if CB knew about Pokey's alleged dalliances -- best pals hide stuff -- ask about who the alchoholic, gambler, abuser/abused is in your sphere --

CB speaking up cannot have been for professional gain -- that's been reflected on this board and in that ESPN article. People don't respect someone who speaks up about problems within a program.

So what could have been her motivation -- what motivation would suit the needs of those people who doubt her... motivation. The only thing I can think of jealousy -- spurned and therefore peeved. Of course, that assumes CB is gay and/or had a relationship with Pokey. Nothing I've seen/read/heard has suggested anything link that....

so here's a radical thought -- we have no indication that something was pushing Chatman's resignation. Do we?

I assumed some paper had the story. Or maybe her ex-husband was threatening something... some sort of pressure that pushed her in to resigning at that moment. But nothing has emerged.

Well -- maybe Chatman torpedoed herself. If this self destructive behavior is a pattern, maybe she saw the writing on the wall and decided to try and control her exit and teach LSU a lesson for messin' with her. And it blew up in her face (with the complicity of the LSU media folks)

Makes as much sense as those who suggest CB had an ulterior motivation...

PostPosted: 04/13/07 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Starkey was obviously not after her job and his actions and comments seem to translate into "good ridance, it's the right thing that was done." He seems relieved and satisfied that it's come to fruition all the while realizing that most likely he loses his job when she's fired or quits.

His seemingly satisfied feelings seem to indicate that he was willing to suffer the consequences to see that the right things happened and were done.

If CB went forward for vindictive reasons, the assistant coaches and players would have ate her alive and refused to work with or play for her.
I think the players know the story and came to grips that the situation needed to be rectified even though they respected Pokey's coaching skills and abilities.

joetro

PostPosted: 04/14/07 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I'm not quite sure why it matters so much why she came forward. She exposed inappropriate behavior that was taking place. How is this different from say Enron whiste-blowers?

JoanneC

PostPosted: 04/14/07 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lol...I'd say this situation is a whole bunch different than the Enron whistle blowers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: