RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

CBS FIRES IMUS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:40 pm    ::: CBS FIRES IMUS Reply Reply with quote

the insanity continues.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

maroondevil

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could see this coming

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the middle of a charity radiothon. CBS shows perhaps the least class of anyone involved in this whole mess.

At 5:00 OVER $1.5 MILLION RAISED.

FS02

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If CBS wants to do the right thing, the show should go on with respect to the charity. They can just use another celebrity host. With all the media attention, they'd probably get even more than the usual amount of $ this time around.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
If CBS wants to do the right thing, the show should go on with respect to the charity. They can just use another celebrity host. With all the media attention, they'd probably get even more than the usual amount of $ this time around.

You don't understand...it's HIS event. He started it. His ranch is one of the beneficiaries. The children's pediatric center in New Jersey is NAMED FOR HIM because of the radiothons and the fact they built the entire hospital on contributions he led. The SIDS foundation is named after the former head of the station, who's daughter passed away from it.

IT'S HIS EVENT. He deserves to see it through to the end. It would have only been until 10:00 am tomorrow. Not even 24 freaking hours. They waited this long, and they couldn't wait until then.

As angry as people have been, is as angry I am about this.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good!

However, he'll probably get a higher paying job on Satellite Radio...... Mad

CallTheDoctor

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
FS02 wrote:

You don't understand...it's HIS event. He started it. His ranch is one of the beneficiaries. The children's pediatric center in New Jersey is NAMED FOR HIM because of the radiothons and the fact they built the entire hospital on contributions he led. The SIDS foundation is named after the former head of the station, who's daughter passed away from it.

IT'S HIS EVENT. He deserves to see it through to the end. It would have only been until 10:00 am tomorrow. Not even 24 freaking hours. They waited this long, and they couldn't wait until then.

Maybe some of the advertisers who cancelled on his show will contribute to the charities. Or his well-heeled famous guests.

CBS met with Sharpton, etc. on Thurs. and with internal groups too, it seems, and probably told them of their decision. Would have been difficult to keep the news quiet until the next day. And maybe they wanted to fire him before the meeting with Rutgers, which I've heard is to take place tonight--maybe CBS didn't want the Rutgers players to be blamed for the firing,which might have been the case if the firing came the morning after the meeting.

In any case, Imus himself summed it up best:
“I said a stupid, idiotic thing that hurt these kids,” he said of the Rutgers players. “If I hadn’t have said it, we wouldn’t be here. So let’s stop whining about it.”

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CallTheDoctor wrote:

In any case, Imus himself summed it up best:
“I said a stupid, idiotic thing that hurt these kids,” he said of the Rutgers players. “If I hadn’t have said it, we wouldn’t be here. So let’s stop whining about it.”

Thank you.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I stated in a previous thread, if this incident is being used as the only, lone, isolated reason for his firing, then it's overkill.

BUT, if this incident is being used as the latest example in a pattern of crude and hateful behavior, after he had promised to quit it with the racist comments several years ago, then it's long overdue.

Does the timing suck? Yeah. Maybe he should have thought about that before he opened his trap. I like CallTheDoctor's suggestion that the advertisers who pulled out should contribute to the radiothon; it would show that they don't abhor *everything* he does, just the negative stuff. And guys like Giuliani and McCain should also pony up- support the guy? Fine. Support the *good* stuff he stands for.

Hell, I'm almost tempted to call in. I get paid tomorrow, I can afford a few bucks.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
As I stated in a previous thread, if this incident is being used as the only, lone, isolated reason for his firing, then it's overkill.

BUT, if this incident is being used as the latest example in a pattern of crude and hateful behavior, after he had promised to quit it with the racist comments several years ago, then it's long overdue.

Does the timing suck? Yeah. Maybe he should have thought about that before he opened his trap. I like CallTheDoctor's suggestion that the advertisers who pulled out should contribute to the radiothon; it would show that they don't abhor *everything* he does, just the negative stuff. And guys like Giuliani and McCain should also pony up- support the guy? Fine. Support the *good* stuff he stands for.

Hell, I'm almost tempted to call in. I get paid tomorrow, I can afford a few bucks.

yeah..it's like when they shoot JFK or MLK....then get all lovey-dovey at the graveside.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Queenie wrote:

yeah..it's like when they shoot JFK or MLK....then get all lovey-dovey at the graveside.

I predict it won't be long before some other radio station or network picks Imus up. If nothing else, he'll go on satellite radio. He'll continue to make at least his $12 million a year.

FS02

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
FS02 wrote:

I do understand. Don Imus did a very good thing by starting his ranch. Then he did a very bad thing by making the comments that he made.

No one here is saying that he doesn't deserve praise for one and criticism for the other.

But the two issues are unrelated!

I don't think that doing charity work means you "deserve" anything. It is it's own reward.

cferraro04

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.yikers.com/video_the_black_hitler_speaks.html

This is racism! Where is the Reverand Jesse Jackson and the Reverand Al Sharpton to condemn their fellow man of the cloth. I am especially impressed with the members of the pastors congregation as they yell halleluia after each time he makes a pronouncement of brotherly love.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cferraro04 wrote:
http://www.yikers.com/video_the_black_hitler_speaks.html

This is racism! Where is the Reverand Jesse Jackson and the Reverand Al Sharpton to condemn their fellow man of the cloth. I am especially impressed with the members of the pastors congregation as they yell halleluia after each time he makes a pronouncement of brotherly love.

Considering that he's been dead for six years, it wouldn't accomplish much to condemn him now.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He's not a racist. He made a dumb racist comment. There is a difference.

They guy flies kids all over the country to get treated and get help, and he never asks what color they are.

This is horrible and it has ALL TO DO with...

a)sponsors

b)agendas

c)PC bs

I agree he should have been suspended and even if fired at least wait until after the Radiothon. Mad

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are you saying that six years ago and at the time this video was shot that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson weren't avocating racial equality and weren't activist against racism?

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As for Imus and satellite radio, one of my colleagues at the office (a big Lady Vols fan; more on that in a moment) pointed out that the two satellite radio companies are trying to get approval of a merger, and so might not be inclined to muddy the waters at the FCC by hiring Imus right now.

Still, there are other companies that might be willing to syndicate his show, particularly owners of other radio chains that might see his program as giving them a shot at good morning ratings.

BTW, my colleague, when I told him that RU was on Oprah, said "No fair!" He was, of course, referring to recruiting.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cferraro04 wrote:
Are you saying that six years ago and at the time this video was shot that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson weren't avocating racial equality and weren't activist against racism?

I don't know what they said, if anything, about him at that time. Like most people, I pay little attention to them.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI - For those who might not have seen this:

Text of CBS statement announcing end of Don Imus’ broadcast
Thursday, April 12, 2007 - Updated: 05:13 PM EST

CBS today announced its decision to cease broadcasting the Imus in the Morning radio program, effective immediately, on a permanent basis.

"From the outset, I believe all of us have been deeply upset and revulsed by the statements that were made on our air about the young women who represented Rutgers University in the NCAA Women’s Basketball Championship with such class, energy and talent," said CBS President and Chief Executive Officer Leslie Moonves, in announcing the decision. "Those who have spoken with us the last few days represent people of goodwill from all segments of our society — all races, economic groups, men and women alike. In our meetings with concerned groups, there has been much discussion of the effect language like this has on our young people, particularly young women of color trying to make their way in this society. That consideration has weighed most heavily on our minds as we made our decision, as have the many emails, phone calls and personal discussions we have had with our colleagues across the CBS Corporation and our many other constituencies."

Imus in the Morning was carried on 61 stations across the United States and distributed over the Westwood One radio network. The cancellation of the program comes after statements Mr. Imus made about the young women who comprised the Rutgers University Women’s Basketball team, which reached the finals of the NCAA Women’s Basketball Championship this spring.

Moonves concluded: "I want to thank all those who came to see us to express their views. We are now presented with a significant opportunity to expand on our record on issues of diversity, race and gender. We intend to seize that opportunity as we move forward together."

cferraro04

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Then I guess your response to the post is irrelevant

hhs1979

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:37 pm    ::: Imus Ranch Facts Reply Reply with quote

NY Attorney General investigated Imus Ranch in 2003 or 2004 ? because as a non-profit (NY & not AZ nonprofit), his family has filled the house with expensive art & furnishings with the "nonprofit" monies, etc...

Also, it was revealed that the ranch spent 2.6 million dollars for 100 total kids per year. That is $26,000 dollars per kid for a 14 day stay (vs Outward Bound <$2000 per kid for 10 day course). It's all good to talk about his charity, but he would produce a more efficient benefit to a greater number of cancer kids if he created a better program.

And yet the media compliment him on his helping 100 kids per year. (at $26,000 per year). I'd rather he donate that money for research, financial assistance for medical bills or an Outward Bound-type program that reached a larger audience.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cferraro04 wrote:
Then I guess your response to the post is irrelevant

The post itself is irrelevant, as are Sharpton and Jackson. Muhammed himself became irrelevant after being expelled from the Nation of Islam in the early 90's.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Queenie wrote:

...I really have no idea where you're trying to go with this comparison.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...I really have no idea where you're trying to go with this comparison.

sorry- i'll be more clear.

now that all y'all have gotten your wish and buried imus, you're gonna contribute to the radiothon.

you know, one fights her adversary- the worst evil in the world -and then gives him the resplendent burial.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: