RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rutgers Players on OPRAH Thursday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/12/07 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
I'm curious; if Imus had been discussing the UConn team & Oprah asked the team & Geno on her show, would they go & what would my pal CtH & Mr. Ferraro say?

I saw Pat Summitt on ESPN commenting. Everyone & their uncle has spoken, I think.

Well now that Oprah and Charles Barkley have, I'd agree.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 04/12/07 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Okay, I think we've officially jumped the shark now.

yup. perfect. how come i can never think of these things to say when they are somewhere in my consciousness?

i also agree with bluewolfii that until the team is seen on Oprah we can't judge "how" they "go on Oprah" (do they go on as 'victims?')
they were invited, i assume they will use this as a platform to make their point, again, about sexism and racism. if anything, Oprah is using them, but this is how it all works. i think we're all on the same page here. the realization that this could well result in some recruiting victories for CVS & Rutgers is hard to avoid, but life is a random series of odd events, right? if I were a high-school senior (bball player or not) considering Rutgers before this happened, I'm sure I wouldn't be eliminating it now! and for what it's worth, i don't think they'll be on for the whole hour...i imagine she'll find some ofhter stories we've never heard about (or heck, maybe they've called up some Penn State alumnae?) to round out the discussion about discrimination and hate speech and race relations in American and black people in sports....

whatever, at this point - I trust CVS and I trust this team to do what's right. I'm sure this will be it for them, except perhaps for some short press conference or announcement after their 'meeting' with Imus next week (i think). maybe.

they should plug the "this is a game, ladies" dvd to raise some money for the program, though!! every freakin' person watching Oprah would buy it through her website...

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/12/07 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

will CVS allow Oprah to get a word in edgewise? Laughing

caune

PostPosted: 04/12/07 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

DT, has Geno commented on this yet? I love that mans wicked mind Wink and If he says somehting it's usually humorous while getting straight to the point!

PostPosted: 04/12/07 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Okay, I think we've officially jumped the shark now.

yup. perfect. how come i can never think of these things to say when they are somewhere in my consciousness?

i also agree with bluewolfii that until the team is seen on Oprah we can't judge "how" they "go on Oprah" (do they go on as 'victims?')
they were invited, i assume they will use this as a platform to make their point, again, about sexism and racism. if anything, Oprah is using them, but this is how it all works. i think we're all on the same page here. the realization that this could well result in some recruiting victories for CVS & Rutgers is hard to avoid, but life is a random series of odd events, right? if I were a high-school senior (bball player or not) considering Rutgers before this happened, I'm sure I wouldn't be eliminating it now! and for what it's worth, i don't think they'll be on for the whole hour...i imagine she'll find some ofhter stories we've never heard about (or heck, maybe they've called up some Penn State alumnae?) to round out the discussion about discrimination and hate speech and race relations in American and black people in sports....

whatever, at this point - I trust CVS and I trust this team to do what's right. I'm sure this will be it for them, except perhaps for some short press conference or announcement after their 'meeting' with Imus next week (i think). maybe.

they should plug the "this is a game, ladies" dvd to raise some money for the program, though!! every freakin' person watching Oprah would buy it through her website...

If the only thing some posters pull from this, is a reason to be upset about some unsubstantiated recruiting advantage, then that's truly disappointing.

mercfan3

sbjules wrote:
I'm curious; if Imus had been discussing the UConn team & Oprah asked the team & Geno on her show, would they go & what would my pal CtH & Mr. Ferraro say?

I saw Pat Summitt on ESPN commenting. Everyone & their uncle has spoken, I think.

What did Pat say?

If the comments had been made about Geno's team. I think he would have pitched a fit, but at the same time, he wouldn't know what those comments really feel like.

I think CViv has been known to play the victim, but I really don't believe this is one of those times.

And if Oprah invites you on her show........what are you gonna do, say no..

caune wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

DT, has Geno commented on this yet? I love that mans wicked mind Wink and If he says somehting it's usually humorous while getting straight to the point!

Yeah, last night....he didn't say anything witty or anything. It's in today's Courant. They had a roast last night, and he and Barkley both made comments to the press. Barkley had some good points.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/women/hc-ucrutgers0412.artapr12,0,1438687.story?coll=hc-headlines-huskywomen

mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/12/07 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with Ketia, Geno and Barkley. I think Geno was more in a place where he didn't know what to say, he doesn't know what it feels like to be called those things, and he doesn't know how he'd react if the same was said about his team.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
thesixthwoman wrote:
i think we're all on the same page here. the realization that this could well result in some recruiting victories for CVS & Rutgers is hard to avoid, but life is a random series of odd events, right?

If the only thing some posters pull from this, is a reason to be upset about some unsubstantiated recruiting advantage, then that's truly disappointing.

hey- i'm sorry, but i'm not sure i understand your response...and since you quoted my post, i want to make sure i do.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:

hi there, sbj!

my guess is the whole thing would've been over last weekend, imus would still be on MSNBC and there woud've been no suspension.

and certainly, no nationally-televised press conf and no oprah appearance.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, that little Oprah segment only lasted about 5 minutes.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
sbjules wrote:

hi there, sbj!

my guess is the whole thing would've been over last weekend, imus would still be on MSNBC and there woud've been no suspension.

Geno felt CViv had a right to be upset..

On a lighter note, for those of us who saw CViv on Oprah...did anyone else chuckle when Oprah tried to ask another question, three different times..and CViv kept talking...

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
sbjules wrote:

hi there, sbj!

On a lighter note, for those of us who saw CViv on Oprah...did anyone else chuckle when Oprah tried to ask another question, three different times..and CViv kept talking...

I noticed that too Laughing

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can anyone who saw it provide a more complete description?

Thanks.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

she needs to drink some imodium a-d.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

good for geno.

of course sPringer had a right to be upset. sheesh.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Can anyone who saw it provide a more complete description?

Thanks.

Nothing you haven't heard or seen before. Same questions, same respones. Less than 10 minutes...

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I noticed that too Laughing

TOTALLY. that was funny. i have to sympathize with CVS, as I suffer from the same affliction...

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

told you so! Laughing

ZuG102

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is great. Can't wait to see it!

UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cferraro04 wrote:
I wonder if Oprah will also have the Duke lacrosse team on her show?

Cth is exactly right on this one...Cviv is milking this one for all its worth...she couldn't buy the publicity her program is receiving. It isn't Cth who is stooping to an all time low here.

What everyone needs to remember here is that C. Vivian Stringer is representing more than just her players and herself. She is representing an upset university, state, and entire race of people. Public relations for the University is probably setting up so much of this for the Rutgers team as a way to respond to Imus and right the record.

I fully hope that the same thing happens for the Duke Lacross Team, but I do not see anything wrong with the way Rutgers and Stringer have handled this situation. The thing is that Imus is not alone. There are plenty of people who have the exact same (and worse) thoughts as him. Unfortunately/luckily (depending on how you look at it), Imus was the one who had a microphone in front of him. I am a big supporter of free speech, but hateful ignorance should be something that we as a human population should be trying to stamp out. Any time there is a opportunity to educate the masses, it should be taken. I just wish that all of this activism did not have to come at the cost of creating white backlash in the communities and forums. Rights and understanding are not zero sum. If more people can understand and empathize with the black race, it doesn't mean that less people are understanding and empathizing with the white race. There doesn't have to be this competition, for the issues are complementary, not mutually exclusive.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
I TOLD YOU SO!!! Laughing

Yeah, I remember that. You know it's gotten huge when the Rutgers team is going to be on Oprah. I even have co-workers who never watch basketball talking about this issue.

O.M.G. I just spent 25 minutes discussing this in my History of Political Philosophy class in relation to whether JS Mill's harm principle should apply... I can guarantee you that not one student nor the professor went to any ASU women's basketball games this year, so I highly doubt they watched any Rutgers games. Everybody's got an opinion now though... Rolling Eyes

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/12/07 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:
Rights and understanding are not zero sum. If more people can understand and empathize with the black race, it doesn't mean that less people are understanding and empathizing with the white race. There doesn't have to be this competition, for the issues are complementary, not mutually exclusive.

Exactly. Thank you.

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

QUESTION:

When during the show was the team on? Beginning, middle, end?

I have to go to campus to turn in an essay at some point during that hour...but I'd like to avoid missing them if I could.

--LDF

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyDevilFan wrote:
QUESTION:

When during the show was the team on? Beginning, middle, end?

I have to go to campus to turn in an essay at some point during that hour...but I'd like to avoid missing them if I could.

--LDF

Beginning, if what I've been told is right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: