RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rutgers Players on OPRAH Thursday
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:49 am    ::: Rutgers Players on OPRAH Thursday Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers Team on Oprah

Well, better late than never on supporting women's basketball, Oprah.

jersey_stupka

Location: Outer loop of the Capital Beltway heading towards the new National Zoo

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love the tagline...
yes, she seems like a cool, smart young woman...

So let us know what happens on the Oprah show today. I'm glad Oprah will have them on. Think the timing is good as its after they had their press conference, and Imus is banished from MSNBC.

I've always loved parts of Imus. But he has continually degraded women and women in sports especially. I remember being so excited about the Libs in finals etc. years ago and when listening to the coverage on subsequent days all Imus did was belittle the women etc. while his comments about RU were shocking, they sure weren't out of the ordinary. Its NOT okay to be a sexist or a racist. Thank you, C Viv for your most eloquent words.

women in the US (nevermind the rest of the world-its worse) have such a difficult time being treated the same way as men. And believe me I know what I'm talking about as someone singled out and fired for nothing more than being a capable female executive who the males felt threatened by.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 6:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW! Awesome!

Go Storm!

"Go smack yourself in the face and see what happens."
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 6:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

puke.

atta girl, sPringer...milk it for all it's worth.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
puke.

Cthskzf,

You've stooped to a new low.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/12/07 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I TOLD YOU SO!!! Laughing

PostPosted: 04/12/07 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
puke.

Cthskzf,

You've stooped to a new low.

CViv can be a Drama Queen, what she started with the Geno vs. Cappie fiasco, I don't think Uconn fans are easily going to forget.

But this is different. Imus's comment was racist and sexist, and the Rutgers TEAM did not deserve it. I'm suprised there hasn't been more attention from other WCBB coaches and such (Pat Summit? Yeah, her team got a few backwords compliments..what was it, he was glad they won because they are cute? That's a bit creepy..)

I think it's great that Oprah is gonna let all of America know about this, and good for the Rutgers team in speaking out..

PostPosted: 04/12/07 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, I think we've officially jumped the shark now.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Okay, I think we've officially jumped the shark now.

Well put.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/12/07 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

Yeah, I remember that. You know it's gotten huge when the Rutgers team is going to be on Oprah. I even have co-workers who never watch basketball talking about this issue.

joetro

PostPosted: 04/12/07 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I certainly don't condone anything Imus said, but I think this is a tad overblown. CVS sure has had some difficult things happen to her that I would not wish on anybody. However, I think she also has a tendency to play the victim.

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 04/12/07 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

Yeah, I remember that. You know it's gotten huge when the Rutgers team is going to be on Oprah. I even have co-workers who never watch basketball talking about this issue.

Ditto. My boyfriend found out about it a couple days ago from the news, and my mom asked me (AGAIN!) what a "ho" was yesterday.... Shocked

I mostly read about it from articles people post links for on here, so I'm surprised by the "outside" attention it's getting.

I guess I'll watch Oprah today...

cferraro04

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Oprah will also have the Duke lacrosse team on her show?

Cth is exactly right on this one...Cviv is milking this one for all its worth...she couldn't buy the publicity her program is receiving. It isn't Cth who is stooping to an all time low here.

CAPPIE1

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
puke.

BRILLIANT Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cferraro04 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if she did.

Quote:
Cth is exactly right on this one...Cviv is milking this one for all its worth...she couldn't buy the publicity her program is receiving.

Would you want her as your coach if she didn't take full advantage of this recruiting windfall?

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dunno.....

We love women's basketball because the women are such amazing people. Such amazing athletes. To go through the academics while training, practicing and playing...phenomenal.

Then they go on Oprah as "victims" for lack of a better word. I'm having a real problem justifying this.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I dunno.....

We love women's basketball because the women are such amazing people. Such amazing athletes. To go through the academics while training, practicing and playing...phenomenal.

Then they go on Oprah as "victims" for lack of a better word. I'm having a real problem justifying this.

Stringer and the members of Rutgers' basketball team will appear live via satellite.

I haven't seen the show. How do you know that they are going on the show as 'victims'? That the team has been the object of Mr. Imus' derision in rascist remarks, there is no doubt about that. But I think the team has shown amazing restraint in responding with their feelings about Mr. Imus.

People want to hear what these young women have to say. My expectation is that their comments will continue to show restraint and grace.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if you are the victim of a racist, homophobic, sexist etc. attack, how do you speak about it WITHOUT identifying yourself as a "victim."

Dtsms.... could you lay out what you'd rather see in their responses?

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of the Live Via Satellite Rutgers World Tour '07, but it's not like they wrote a letter to Harpo. Some of yall know damn well that if Oprah's people called you looking for an interview, you'd be putting your make-up on and calling the whole damn family to make sure they had the Tivo fired up. Rutgers is no worse than every damn body else looking for validation and a boost in their cause from Oprah. Going against Oprah is like signing a death wish anyway. Rolling Eyes

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
if you are the victim of a racist, homophobic, sexist etc. attack, how do you speak about it WITHOUT identifying yourself as a "victim."

Dtsms.... could you lay out what you'd rather see in their responses?

You're right of course, the word victim is another problem I'm wrestling with here, like the role of apologies, as I said in Area 51 (duke). And I know I have been skirting the issues and speaking in round about fashion since this has happened.

I have no issues with their responses in general. I think Carson has been great, and honestly, in a day when Ivory Latta can say "I is still in pain" the fact that Ms. Carson can stand there and speak so eloquently perhaps is the greatest image RU can put out there.

One thing jumped at me that no one has commented, and I hate to get into this stuff, because I am not in the right demographic. When Carson was asked, she answered no, she has not spoken to Al Sharpton. It just seems to me that maybe some of these people should ask the team if they would like to be the spokespersons for a cause before they are made to be it. It's difficult enough being a kid, a college student athlete, without having to be the poster child for race relations.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
I'm not a fan of the Live Via Satellite Rutgers World Tour '07, but it's not like they wrote a letter to Harpo. Some of yall know damn well that if Oprah's people called you looking for an interview, you'd be putting your make-up on and calling the whole damn family to make sure they had the Tivo fired up. Rutgers is no worse than every damn body else looking for validation and a boost in their cause from Oprah. Going against Oprah is like signing a death wish anyway. Rolling Eyes

I just remember the episode of Fresh Prince when Will's in the crowd because the family won't let him appear with them and he rumbles with another audience member. Laughing

CAPPIE1

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cferraro04 wrote:

Cth is exactly right on this one...Cviv is milking this one for all its worth...she couldn't buy the publicity her program is receiving. It isn't Cth who is stooping to an all time low here.

yeah, this is all cvs' fault. she told imus to refer to her players in a racist, sexist way. she called al sharpton and jessie jackson, just to stir the pot. now she is relying on her bestest buddy oprah winfrey to help her "MILK THE SITUATION" further. why, would cvs go to such great lengths, umm...to get publicity for RUTGERS, to lure in some BLUE CHIP PLAYERS, yeah, that's it....and to think some of us thought she was incapable of coming up with a decent offense for her team. yet, cvs, could come up with this...who would've thunk Rolling Eyes

if imus would've kept his damn mouth shut, none of this shit would be happening. cvs and her team are some classy individuals...because on some realness, someone could've just pulled out a can of whoop-ass on imus and called it a day.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
Some of yall know damn well that if Oprah's people called you looking for an interview, you'd be putting your make-up on and calling the whole damn family to make sure they had the Tivo fired up.

LOL, true, if Ms. Oprah's people called, well I'd listen...and then ask if I could talk to dreamy Nate Berkus to set up a date for Cam Wink

Seriously, if this helps race relations in the U.S., great, if it helps womens basketball, great...but even if it only gets the players a chance to meet Oprah, it's all good in my book!

PostPosted: 04/12/07 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:

On the other hand, if CViv starts hosting Saturday Night Live, it will be too much.

sbjules

PostPosted: 04/12/07 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm curious; if Imus had been discussing the UConn team & Oprah asked the team & Geno on her show, would they go & what would my pal CtH & Mr. Ferraro say?

I saw Pat Summitt on ESPN commenting. Everyone & their uncle has spoken, I think.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: